Unable to see login screen after Reflections update on Linux

Options
Nebrilin - Archosaur
Nebrilin - Archosaur Posts: 11 Arc User
edited August 2012 in Support Desk
To start out I'm running linux and using wine to run PWI. My configuration was working before the update. I am able to run the updater and it reported completing successfully.

Now when I go to run the game it creates a new black window that does not appear to take any input. I've let it sit there for a bit to see if it just took a while for it to render but have not seen anything yet.

I'm currently running a verify of all the files to see if something didn't update correctly. Is anyone else seeing something like this?
Post edited by Nebrilin - Archosaur on

Comments

• Oniryuu - Heavens Tear
    Oniryuu - Heavens Tear Posts: 87 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Options
    To start out I'm running linux and using wine to run PWI. My configuration was working before the update. I am able to run the updater and it reported completing successfully.

Now when I go to run the game it creates a new black window that does not appear to take any input. I've let it sit there for a bit to see if it just took a while for it to render but have not seen anything yet.

I'm currently running a verify of all the files to see if something didn't update correctly. Is anyone else seeing something like this?

Yes, I'm experiencing the same. I was about to go and verify myself, but I figured I'd look and see if anyone posted the same issue.

For those of you coming here to find a solution, the solution for me was gecko was missing. I didn't have a problem with it until this patch, I figured it was the cause of the issue.

I created a new prefix for PWI, but I also have a non-standard location for Wine, so the directory for the gecko files wasn't there. It looks in $PREFIX/share/wine/gecko ($PREFIX being the wine binary directory, not the WINEPREFIX.).
  • Zhu - Lost City
    Zhu - Lost City Posts: 63 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Options
    I have the same problem, except I'm on Mac and have no idea what a Gecko is.
  • Nalav - Sanctuary
    Nalav - Sanctuary Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Having the same problem on Mac as well since I am using crossover games to run my pwi wine bottle.

I'll let you know if I find a way to fix it...
    b:cry
  • Nebrilin - Archosaur
    Nebrilin - Archosaur Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Options
    The verify completed and still the same problem. I do have gecko installed and I believe it's correct as the updater actually does display the web info.

My problem is after the updater and when you are supposed to login. It's coming up all black. I'm running the wine 1.2.2 and gecko 1.1.0.

--Update--

Ok so following Oniryuu's line of thinking I went in and blew away my wine prefix and recreated it with gecko, d3dx9, vcrun2005, vcrun2008 and vcrun6. I'm now in and working.
  • Oniryuu - Heavens Tear
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Yeeah, I ended up having to blow my prefix too. It ran once, then completely barfed. But all is good. Reasons like this is exactly why I don't need PWI installed inside the prefix directory.
  • Oniryuu - Heavens Tear
    edited August 2012
    Options
    I have the same problem, except I'm on Mac and have no idea what a Gecko is.

Wine-Gecko is software that wine uses to handle HTML rendering (for example, pigments in clothing, faces and now, apparently something with the start screen). If you installed IE or Mozilla instead, the two cannot exist together.

In my case, installing it was necessary, but also screwed something up but it was a quick fix.
  • Oniryuu - Heavens Tear
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Having the same problem on Mac as well since I am using crossover games to run my pwi wine bottle.

I'll let you know if I find a way to fix it...
    b:cry

Crossover Games uses their own rendering software, you can try filing a support ticket if you have paid support. I haven't used it much, I played with it to see if it would help with my memory leaks with the game, but I had other problems like texture collisions and missing textures.
  • b4ttl3m4st3r
    b4ttl3m4st3r Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Options
    I see people here talking about Linux and MacOs using wine.

Now I wonder:
    How come I have exactly the same problem on Windows XP SP3?
    First, the game wasnt installed by the Installer and i just have copied the files.
    Worked well, before the last Update.
    Later Ive tried to install it with installer, while verifying the files and even after the installation was done I did the verify thing.
    But I had no luck at all, It still shows the black window.

It always came up as seen in this picture.
    The most weird thing is that it now starts 3 processes, 2 with no label and 1 with PWI Label as seen in the Task-Bar on bottom.
    One more thing to mention is the new white square in the top-left corner that ive never seen before.

Everything works fine on my latpop running Windows 7.
    Why it doesn't work on Windows XP anymore?
    - everything necessary like DirectX is up-to-date.
    - my Firewall + Antivir is off.
    - I have administrator privileges.

Any idea?
  • Oniryuu - Heavens Tear
    edited August 2012
    Options
    I see people here talking about Linux and MacOs using wine.

Now I wonder:
    How come I have exactly the same problem on Windows XP SP3?
    First, the game wasnt installed by the Installer and i just have copied the files.
    Worked well, before the last Update.
    Later Ive tried to install it with installer, while verifying the files and even after the installation was done I did the verify thing.
    But I had no luck at all, It still shows the black window.

It always came up as seen in this picture.
    The most weird thing is that it now starts 3 processes, 2 with no label and 1 with PWI Label as seen in the Task-Bar on bottom.
    One more thing to mention is the new white square in the top-left corner that ive never seen before.

Everything works fine on my latpop running Windows 7.
    Why it doesn't work on Windows XP anymore?
    - everything necessary like DirectX is up-to-date.
    - my Firewall + Antivir is off.
    - I have administrator privileges.

Any idea?

If you read some of the other threads with Windows users, they found if they close the patcher window it works.
  • Zhu - Lost City
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Not working on crossover for me.
  • Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973
    Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973 Posts: 7,881 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Not working on crossover for me.

I had a problem in crossover with the following error (visible in a debug log)
    wine: Call from 0x7bc3db68 to unimplemented function advpack.dll.ExtractFilesA, aborting

The fix for this is to remove the override for advpack.dll

1) Click on the menu item Crossover Games > Configure > Manage Bottles...
    2) Select your PWI bottle on the left and click Control Panel > Wine Configuration > Launch Selected Item
    3) In Application Settings click on "Default Settings" then click on the "Libraries" tab
    4) In Existing Overrides select "advpack.dll" and then click Remove
    5) Click OK
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Refining Simulator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/refiningsimulator.html (don't use IE)
    Genie Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/geniecalculator.html - (don't use IE)
    Socket Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/socketcalculator.html
  • Zhu - Lost City
    edited August 2012
    Options
    wine: Call from 0x7bc3db68 to unimplemented function advpack.dll.ExtractFilesA, aborting

2) Select your PWI bottle on the left and click Control Panel > Wine Configuration > Launch Selected Item
    3) In Application Settings click on "Default Settings" then click on the "Libraries" tab
    5) Click OK

I did this, and it not only did not make it work, but crossover calls for me to install "Gecko".
  • diemmynguyen
    diemmynguyen Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Options

5) Click OK

I did this and was able to log in, but when I get to the character select screen, they are all nude b:shocked and then my game just keeps crashing, saying an error has occured. I use Crossover Games with a Mac btw.
  • b4ttl3m4st3r
    b4ttl3m4st3r Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Options
    If you read some of the other threads with Windows users, they found if they close the patcher window it works.

Normally i start the game using the elementclient.exe so theres no patcher window.
    After all Ive tried to close the patcher directly after i launched the game (with the patcher): doesnt work.

Thanks for your suggestion anyways. Maybe you can tell me the specific thread you refer to?
    Ive read all of recent comments in technical support category and didnt find anything regarding or better thread to post in.
  • NewButNotBad - Heavens Tear
    NewButNotBad - Heavens Tear Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Options
    I have the same issue on mac with crossover b:surrender
    Originally Posted by Asterelle - Sanctuary

5) Click OK
    Following the steps above helped me get rid of the black screen.
    The only problem now is that on the loading screen before the login screen.
    The loading bar will now only load a quarter of the bar before crashing b:sadb:cry

Edit: I get a small window with the title:
    Wine Program crashed, saying "Internal errors - invalid parameter received"
  • Zhu - Lost City
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Still on the black screen, anyone else have something that can help?
  • SerenityMare - Dreamweaver
    SerenityMare - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,211 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Options
    I did this and was able to log in, but when I get to the character select screen, they are all nude b:shocked and then my game just keeps crashing, saying an error has occured. I use Crossover Games with a Mac btw.

Same problem as this one after following Asterelle's suggestion.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Healer_Mercy - Lost City
    Healer_Mercy - Lost City Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Options
    I have the same black screen problem and nothing seems to work.
  • Zhu - Lost City
    edited August 2012
    Options
    I guess my 4-year PWI career is done permanently because of this glitch. It was nice knowing you people.