Better Catabarb Weapon?

Options
KawaiiJen - Heavens Tear
KawaiiJen - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,461 Arc User
edited November 2012 in Barbarian
What's better for a completely endgame weapon for a Catabarb?

R8R with Defense Levels as the Unique Addon with R9 Armor

or

Full R9.

This has me puzzled because I've seen barbs use both. My first assumption is to jump the gun and say R8R is better because barbs need defense more as they don't use their weapon and so the higher survivability would allow the barb to live longer for more cata damage against the crystal.

However I can't confirm or deny the catapults damage is also affected by the barbs gear? (Either physical attack or attack levels or something?) If if that's the case the R9 weapon would allow more catapult damage, but would it be worth the defense level sacrifice you could get form R8R.

Sorry barb is one of the few classes I didn't explore at complete endgame because it bored me, but this intrigued me.

Thanks in advance and sorry if this topic has been mentioned before was too lazy to search the sub endlessly for it.
[SIGPIC]http://i48.tinypic.com/2r61kw3.jpg[/SIGPIC]
Ty Fon for the Siggy <3

The rare and exotic Sage Archer of HT. b:cute
Post edited by KawaiiJen - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973
    Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973 Posts: 7,881 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Catapult does 100k damage always no matter the puller.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Refining Simulator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/refiningsimulator.html (don't use IE)
    Genie Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/geniecalculator.html - (don't use IE)
    Socket Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/socketcalculator.html
  • KawaiiJen - Heavens Tear
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Catapult does 100k damage always no matter the puller.

Stalk me more!

So then R8R with the unique add on of defense levels would be better then a r9 weapon. As long as the catbarb can afford it.
    Ty Fon for the Siggy <3

• Doom_Panda - Harshlands
    Doom_Panda - Harshlands Posts: 356 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Options
    I'd go with R8R with Def lvls, HP, Vit, +Mag Def, or reduce Mag Damage.
    Mains:
    Doom_Panda- 102/101/102 R9 3rd cast Demon Barb 40k HP.
    Dawnx - 100/85 Demon Cleric.
    PsychicTuna- 101/100 Sage Psychic.
    DawnMyst- 96 Demon Mystic.

PANDAS FTW. AND I b:heart ARMA! b:avoid
  • Sakubatou - Sanctuary
    Sakubatou - Sanctuary Posts: 4,001 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Options
    I'd go with R8R with Def lvls, HP, Vit, +Mag Def, or reduce Mag Damage.

This. Catabarbs don't attack often enough for their weapon damage to truly matter.

You will have to consider the rest of your build first. If you have chosen to use a magic belt instead of a the r9 belt an r9 weapon would be your 5th piece of gear and give you the 5 piece set bonus of 20 defense levels.

I've also seen some barbs clear a TW crowd with an Arma and the R9 axes are better for this. The cost of a charm tick suddenly they had 6 less attackers :D
    Seven 100+ characters leveled the hard way. Free to play. Mystic, Psychic, and Wizard left to level. b:victory
  • Subtraction - Harshlands
    Subtraction - Harshlands Posts: 690 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Best cata build atm would be rank 9 with rank 8.5 weapon with defensive stats.

http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=16807121#post16807121

thread on second page of barb subforums
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Ewa Sonnet has the best pair of jugs ever. Nothing else compares." - Eoria.
    HE'S OVERALL KNOWLEDGE OF THE CLASS IS LEGIT.
  • shotwhointhewhat
    shotwhointhewhat Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Options
    If the barb was a pure cata barb and not interested in other pvp...

rank 8 recast weapon w/def levels
    two pieces of rank 9
    two pieces of rank 9 recast (one piece should be chest)
    cube neck (elemental)
    warsong belt (elemental)
    26 JoSD
    magic rings
    just enough str and dex for gears, rest in vit

Well, I say not interested in other pvp, but you could have fun seeing people fail at trying to kill you outside sz.

http://pwcalc.com/7de0dfdc195778ce
  • Doom_Panda - Harshlands
    Doom_Panda - Harshlands Posts: 356 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Options
    If the barb was a pure cata barb and not interested in other pvp...

rank 8 recast weapon w/def levels
    two pieces of rank 9
    two pieces of rank 9 recast (one piece should be chest)
    cube neck (elemental)
    warsong belt (elemental)
    26 JoSD
    magic rings
    just enough str and dex for gears, rest in vit

Well, I say not interested in other pvp, but you could have fun seeing people fail at trying to kill you outside sz.

http://pwcalc.com/7de0dfdc195778ce

I'd go with rings that have Vit and HP over Cloud Stir. And with that HP.... Arma would hurt... b:dirty
    Mains:
    Doom_Panda- 102/101/102 R9 3rd cast Demon Barb 40k HP.
    Dawnx - 100/85 Demon Cleric.
    PsychicTuna- 101/100 Sage Psychic.
    DawnMyst- 96 Demon Mystic.

PANDAS FTW. AND I b:heart ARMA! b:avoid
  • Maelael - Heavens Tear
    Maelael - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,497 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Options
    http://pwcalc.com/4be7ed4820e6db1f

That was the utter insanity Def levels build I was working on with a fac mate.

I don't think its optimal.
    pwcalc.com/bb6fc16982637a5c / pwcalc.com/28948ee5778526f5
  • Hurrdurr - Lothranis
    Hurrdurr - Lothranis Posts: 1,468 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Options
    You forgot R9r2
  • fuzzywuzz
    fuzzywuzz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Wow.. lots of fantastical calc builds but forgetting the basic theory of playing a barb. Suggests to Fuzzy that perhaps in asking it is just a barb alt to pull cata for a faction that does not have enough of the true species.

Neither R8R or R9 is needed at all.

This panda has a mere shabby set of G13 nirv with a mix +7 ~ +10 with JoSD and actually has experience playing his class. With a good genie, apoth and and actual knowledge of the class, a barb does not need either R8R or R9 to withstand the others out there roaming the world with their +12 R9.

Pulling cata not need OP gear, it needs a barb that knows wtf they are doing. b:bye

edit: and if you think weapon means anything at all when pulling, please delete any barb you may have asap.
    [SIGPIC]Need to talk to Fuzzy?[/SIGPIC]
    Sig by NowItsAwn
  • Sakubatou - Sanctuary
    Sakubatou - Sanctuary Posts: 4,001 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Options
    http://pwcalc.com/4be7ed4820e6db1f

That was the utter insanity Def levels build I was working on with a fac mate.

I don't think its optimal.

+26 def level ring engraving?

FuzzyWuzz wrote: »
    Wow.. lots of fantastical calc builds but forgetting the basic theory of playing a barb. Suggests to Fuzzy that perhaps in asking it is just a barb alt to pull cata for a faction that does not have enough of the true species.

This panda has a mere shabby set of G13 nirv with a mix +7 ~ +10 with JoSD and actually has experience playing his class. With a good genie, apoth and and actual knowledge of the class, a barb does not need either R8R or R9 to withstand the others out there roaming the world with their +12 R9.

Pulling cata not need OP gear, it needs a barb that knows wtf they are doing. b:bye

edit: and if you think weapon means anything at all when pulling, please delete any barb you may have asap.

Lol, I think you just got trolled by a forum mod. Ask a question about optimal gear, get a lesson on how to pull a cata.
    Seven 100+ characters leveled the hard way. Free to play. Mystic, Psychic, and Wizard left to level. b:victory
  • fuzzywuzz
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Lol, I think you just got trolled by a forum mod. Ask a question about optimal gear, get a lesson on how to pull a cata.

No troll, Fuzzy just thinks its sad OP seems to be under the impression that optimal gear is needed when that is far far far far far far from the truth.

edit: and also, at least to Fuzzy, its a bit insulting when people such as the OP ask for advice on our class while in the same breath say its a boring one to play.
    Sig by NowItsAwn
  • Maelael - Heavens Tear
    edited July 2012
    Options
    +26 def level ring engraving?

Cant put the 24 def levels on the weapon, it's a limitation of pwcalc.

Unfortunately Fuzzy has a point, as I've caught many barbs not utilizing said skills while on opposing defense squad myself. Too often, really.
  • shotwhointhewhat
    shotwhointhewhat Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Options

So a weapon that can add up to 40 or so defense levels is completely meaningless to a cata barb?
    edited July 2012
    Options

wat? you're right, r9 is not 'needed' to pull a cata. my level 1 cleric can pull a cata. i know how to pull a catapult

but guess what, if i pull a catapult with the best defensive gear available, it will be easier to survive, and i'll generally do a better job

plus, pulling a cata isn't hard in the first place, sure, you need to know 'what you're doing', but standing infront of a crystal whilst people whack you isn't hard. two clerics using SoG = perma 90% damage reduction. b:bye
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Deago - Lost City
    Deago - Lost City Posts: 318 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Options
    wat? you're right, r9 is not 'needed' to pull a cata. my level 1 cleric can pull a cata. i know how to pull a catapult

but guess what, if i pull a catapult with the best defensive gear available, it will be easier to survive, and i'll generally do a better job

plus, pulling a cata isn't hard in the first place, sure, you need to know 'what you're doing', but standing infront of a crystal whilst people whack you isn't hard. two clerics using SoG = perma 90% damage reduction. b:bye

Easier is failure. Putting some effort on what you do is success
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Nothing is true. Everything is Permitted.
    Ezio Auditore
  • Maelael - Heavens Tear
    edited July 2012
    Options
    I can somewhat back up some of Fuzzy's naysayers though.

Let's say you're happily trucking along with your cata. You're purged and that movement immune is gone, or maybe that movement immune is in CD.

Lets say you invoke. You're then tele-immobilized/whirlwinded by a BM, chain stunned till it wears off...or the DDs just don't care and unload anyways.

But lets say you choose to IG. You're then telestunned through it, reeled in, and patiently sat on if there isn't 2+ BMs **** with you for the whole 12 seconds.

You probably have no chi either, as 4-5 people just Mo Zunned you as well.

But really what it comes down to, lets say you have your double cleric and mystic support crew, and you're buffed, cause the Defense team got lazy. You might be stunned, they may not care. You get HFed. And Undined. Go for that genie skill, baby.

And 1-2 of these unload on you:

http://pwcalc.com/559c14848aa834b6

Prolly don't even need the psy at this point.

Got Def Levels?

(Go ahead and res, there is always some bored sins hanging around to bury your support by this time.)
  • Beleni - Dreamweaver
    Beleni - Dreamweaver Posts: 383 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Options

Just incase you have forgetten, this is the barbarian forum.
    trolls are not welcome here; so either act in a helpful, responsible manner or GTFOb:bye
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Easier is failure. Putting some effort on what you do is success

good point, you seem like the type to put effort into standing still and letting people hit you.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • NescauBall - Archosaur
    NescauBall - Archosaur Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Lets not turn this thread into a bad discussion one.

First I got a question to asterelle or any other high knowledge player.
    if I have 12k base magic defence, should I rather get +260 Mdef or 3% Mag resistance (r9 recast pants or boots)?

After that lets talk about the best cata barb weapons :x

the first option for any cata barb weapon wise would be R8R weapon.

If not r8r then it comes to 2nd nirvy with - requirement and +vit. or 3rd nv with 3x +vit.

If you take cata barbing really seriously and you got ur r9 you might consider recasting ur chest and ur pants/boots (only 2 summerwind tokens, not that expensive)in order to be able to wear r8r weapon alongside with warsong belt
    achieving the ultimate non-3rd cast r9 catapult build:
    http://pwcalc.com/7353e865ee4c5cdf Dont forget ur gonna lose attack levels that way tough.
  • Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973
    Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973 Posts: 7,881 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Options
    First I got a question to asterelle or any other high knowledge player.
    if I have 12k base magic defence, should I rather get +260 Mdef or 3% Mag resistance (r9 recast pants or boots)?

With cleric buffs 3% magic damage reduction is slightly better but it's pretty close.
    When purged the 3% reduction is much better so I'd go with that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Refining Simulator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/refiningsimulator.html (don't use IE)
    Genie Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/geniecalculator.html - (don't use IE)
    Socket Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/socketcalculator.html
  • witniss
    witniss Posts: 517 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Options
    fuzzy hax he has g13 nirvana armor

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • KawaiiJen - Heavens Tear
    edited July 2012
    Options
    No troll, Fuzzy just thinks its sad OP seems to be under the impression that optimal gear is needed when that is far far far far far far from the truth.

edit: and also, at least to Fuzzy, its a bit insulting when people such as the OP ask for advice on our class while in the same breath say its a boring one to play.
    HAHA no. Please don't assume didn't your parents teach you the assume rule?

I said nothing of "optimal gear is needed to know how to play your class" this was merely what would be a better weapon choice for the DEFENSIVE ASPECTS of being an endgame catabarb.
    And talking in 3rd personal makes you sound like you have some kind of disorder ijs.

Psst. Just because I get bored playing it doesn't mean I can't be interested in build aspects of it. I have friends who play a barb and I was doing some research for them. Got a problem with it?

You should read my post entirely before posting. This had nothing to do with "How to play a barb" It was purely what was a better weapon choice for the DEFENSIVE aspects again. If you think the addons from a weapon doesn't mean anything when trying to survive in TW please delete your barb asap. Don't post useless **** because you think you know what you're talking about when it had nothing to do with my original post. And btw you meant G15 nirvana gear. b:bye
    Ty Fon for the Siggy <3

• WnbTank - Archosaur
    WnbTank - Archosaur Posts: 1,472 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Options

Psst. Just because I get bored playing it doesn't mean I can't be interested in build aspects of it. I have friends who play a barb and I was doing some research for them. Got a problem with it?

Bully em into full G16 vana armor set unless they R9 already, in which case make them wait for summerwind tokken sale, it`s bound to happen. G16 vana is better than R9 and it`s cheaper, granted quite a bit harder to get. Add R8 recast wep with defensive stats and you got cheapish catabarb which will actually beat all but ridiculously cashshopped barbs(3rd casts R9, etc.)
    Trolling Sid since So Hot :o
  • Maelael - Heavens Tear
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Bully em into full G16 vana armor set unless they R9 already, in which case make them wait for summerwind tokken sale, it`s bound to happen. G16 vana is better than R9 and it`s cheaper, granted quite a bit harder to get. Add R8 recast wep with defensive stats and you got cheapish catabarb which will actually beat all but ridiculously cashshopped barbs(3rd casts R9, etc.)

IF there is a summerwind token sale. From what I thought some Dev or GM posted, there will never be.

And N3 is not better than R9. Nor cheaper if you want to maximize stats and sockets (unless you get lucky). Its about 10% behind.

http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1380861
  • fuzzywuzz
    edited July 2012
    Options
    witniss wrote: »
    fuzzy hax he has g13 nirvana armor

Last time the panda looked his armour said grade 15.. but hey, maybe his client lies to him.
    Sig by NowItsAwn
  • Safeng - Sanctuary
    Safeng - Sanctuary Posts: 336 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Options
    This panda has a mere shabby set of G13 nirv with a mix +7 ~ +10 with JoSD ...

I don't want to know what you consider high-end gear then...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • fuzzywuzz
    edited July 2012
    Options
    High end gear is made from Heineken cans and is G17
    Sig by NowItsAwn
  • witniss
    witniss Posts: 517 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Last time the panda looked his armour said grade 15.. but hey, maybe his client lies to him.

my client doesn't lie to me, it said im pretty D:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • WnbTank - Archosaur
    WnbTank - Archosaur Posts: 1,472 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Options
    IF there is a summerwind token sale. From what I thought some Dev or GM posted, there will never be.

And N3 is not better than R9. Nor cheaper if you want to maximize stats and sockets (unless you get lucky). Its about 10% behind.

http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1380861

I`d be interested at which point there was any math done? I didnt find anything relevant behind the link. N3 has higher base stats, it even refines higher by my understanding and that what matters to catabarb. Set bonuses were 1kish hp & 15 def levels if I`m not remembering them wrong. To catabarb, it`s irrelevant what else you got as long as you can take as many hits as possible. The attack levels are sorta meh that R9 does offer quite a bit.

I actually found what you were refering to. It`s halfassed estimation which offers pretty much nothing in terms of real math. With JoSD sharding the difference in defense levels is relatively so small it becomes more or less obsolete. And it`s that already on attack levels. What doesnt change is how N3 has lot higher base stats. You can trust and believe the estimations valid, it`s your right but I only do suggest you to think of the bigger picture.

So summing it up, N3 vana is better for low end players who have trouble affording R9 & for high end players who can afford to socket & shard it. It`s the middle ground where R9 seems to be better, though I`d still would like to see defensive math only done for catabarbs on the middle ground.
    Trolling Sid since So Hot :o