How to tank Nob and Pole :(

Options
SxeChik - Archosaur
SxeChik - Archosaur Posts: 128 Arc User
edited May 2012 in Cleric
Ok guys... A few weeks ago, I tried tanking Nob and Pole. Barely survived on Nob, and died when pole got down to 200k HP b:cry. I got my husband and friend as 2 clerics (1 BB and the other healed and purified.)

But I saw a youtube video of a cleric level 95, same server as me, tanked nob and pole and only purified and healed with IH by another cleric. (back in the day when TT gears were the best) I had a chance to talk to her, she said she was LA back then. Here's the video of her: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bOeFxQM9Mk

I want to tank nob/pole as an arcane, but IDK what parts of my gears or shards I should replace in order to help me tank like her, with no BB. Here is my char: http://pwcalc.com/1a337f9a19de69a9* (I do use my +4 r8 glaive, along with TT99)

*The stats are already buffed with cleric buffs.

This is just something I find interesting and I want to extend my frontier rather than just healing and stuff. Please don't tell me to switch to barb or another class if I want to tank nob and pole. Ms_Medic (in the video) did it at lvl 95, back in the old days, so I think I should be able to do it.

Thank you for your time! Peace b:victory
Insanity b:thanks
Post edited by SxeChik - Archosaur on

Comments

• Nowitsawn - Heavens Tear
    Nowitsawn - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,864 Arc User
    edited April 2012
    Options
    If you are sage; use sage Vanguard and if you're demon; use demon SoR (or have the other clerics spam them on you). The +100% P.def bonus from these skills pretty much negates the armor break debuff that some bosses (including pole) use. The BM buff also helps in negating the debuff a bit.

Other than that, using these at the right time also helps a lot.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Xx_BeLLa_xX - Harshlands
    Xx_BeLLa_xX - Harshlands Posts: 7,231 Arc User
    edited April 2012
    Options
    You have a ''normal'' p.def, you can try to have more with doing that:

http://pwcalc.com/8399c82ec383bd8e

I changed the cape, head, pants and replaced the jone's bless by o'maley one, in 90% of case a cleric should use o'maley for more survavibility, i personnally have 2 capes one with chan and the one i put in that pwicalc (with different shard ref), i personnally use the chan one for when i grind solo or quest like GBQ, when i need more survavibility i use the p.def one. I changed the pants, if you wanna tank a boss R8 pants are ****, use TT90 they are better than R8 and TT99 one.

You are shard only in cit on all your gears and the refine of your belt is low, try refine your belt a bit, if you dont want change gears reshard some in garnet and try refine more your gears for more hp.

For a cleric normally for survavibility its more: p.def>hp

And for pole/nob you need to think: survavibility>power attack so no jone's bless and no R8 pants, o'malley will help for survavibility and pants TT90 are pretty cheap.

I saw AA cleric tank these's boss so yea its not impossible you just need more survavibility.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

b:dirty "I **** rainbows and love everyone"-Longknife b:cute
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Oh if your faction have a base, use the p.def buff major it can be stack with ur p.def buff, if u dont have bar buff use the hp buff too, chan can help too.

Dew star of protection (apo pot) can help too, when your plume shell is in CD use it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Hermaze - Raging Tide
    Hermaze - Raging Tide Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited April 2012
    Options
    I tanked it once in my r8 gear, lower hp and phy def than you, with only one more cleric and realised one thing: Tanking them in melee was easier. The reason is simple: As long as you fight them in melee you see their special attacks (aoes/debuffs/...) better and can time your purify accordingly. So as long as you feel comfortable enough to enter the melee range try it out ;) (the def lvl blessing might be helpful as well)

It was so much easier that i nearly could have soloed it - provided that i have the time. (Needed to ress the second cleric during the fight cause his gear was way worse back then combined with lags.)
  • Sakubatou - Sanctuary
    Sakubatou - Sanctuary Posts: 4,001 Arc User
    edited April 2012
    Options
    You have about 500 mil in gear, including R8 chest, and yet the average refine is +3/+4? Get rid of the Fate Denial: Godspeed and get R8. That right there will boost your attack and healing power 28%. If you had both R8 and a pure build you'd have 61% more magic attack so you'd be able to heal yourself much more efficiently and the boss would be dieing much faster, as well as resist their magic aoes a little better.

I also see you went heavier on -channeling than most clerics, but that's alright although as Bella pointed out it cost you pdef and efficiancy to get it.

Both bosses have a long range magic aoe, and I believe pole has a short range physical aoe. Keep your shell up and keep them at max distance. The armor break affects armor defense but doesn't affect buffs, so predict it (don't wait till its on) to use demon SoR or sage Vanguard. If I remember right they tend to cast either and aoe or their debuff every 8 seconds and typically alternate, so if they aoe wait about 6 seconds then cast your own buff and you should be safe for 15 seconds. If you get base buffs then use either of these it will overwrite and the base buff will be gone afterwards. Same with demon bells bonus buff.
    Seven 100+ characters leveled the hard way. Free to play. Mystic, Psychic, and Wizard left to level. b:victory
  • SMASHnHEAL - Dreamweaver
    SMASHnHEAL - Dreamweaver Posts: 400 Arc User
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Being fully buffed would help a lot as you already have decent HP and pdef. As Hermaze said their attackes are more predictable when in melee range which is important to help time purify and your other defensive skills and also helps the other cleric as they have less aoes to deal with. If you are tanking up close then you could switch out your r8 ring for a sign of frost chaos for added pdef.

I had a similar goal in pwi to solo both these bosses. I was able to tank them at low 90's with TT90 and soloed them once I got into the late 90's, but my build was/is not something I would recommend b:surrender
    edited April 2012
    Options
    You have about 500 mil in gear, including R8 chest, and yet the average refine is +3/+4? Get rid of the Fate Denial: Godspeed and get R8. That right there will boost your attack and healing power 28%. If you had both R8 and a pure build you'd have 61% more magic attack so you'd be able to heal yourself much more efficiently and the boss would be dieing much faster, as well as resist their magic aoes a little better.

She want to tank it not solo it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• SxeChik - Archosaur
    edited May 2012
    Options
    If you are sage; use sage Vanguard and if you're demon; use demon SoR (or have the other clerics spam them on you). The +100% P.def bonus from these skills pretty much negates the armor break debuff that some bosses (including pole) use. The BM buff also helps in negating the debuff a bit.

Other than that, using these at the right time also helps a lot.

I forgot to tell I'm demon :) and yeah, SoR saved me on nob last time. I'll keep the potion you suggest in mind.
    You have a ''normal'' p.def, you can try to have more with doing that:

http://pwcalc.com/8399c82ec383bd8e

I changed the cape, head, pants and replaced the jone's bless by o'maley one, in 90% of case a cleric should use o'maley for more survavibility, i personnally have 2 capes one with chan and the one i put in that pwicalc (with different shard ref), i personnally use the chan one for when i grind solo or quest like GBQ, when i need more survavibility i use the p.def one. I changed the pants, if you wanna tank a boss R8 pants are ****, use TT90 they are better than R8 and TT99 one.

You are shard only in cit on all your gears and the refine of your belt is low, try refine your belt a bit, if you dont want change gears reshard some in garnet and try refine more your gears for more hp.

For a cleric normally for survavibility its more: p.def>hp

And for pole/nob you need to think: survavibility>power attack so no jone's bless and no R8 pants, o'malley will help for survavibility and pants TT90 are pretty cheap.

I saw AA cleric tank these's boss so yea its not impossible you just need more survavibility.
    Hmmm... I didn't think of the O'Maley blessing that day >"< The entire time I play pwi have always used Jones lol. Definitely will change to O'Maley next time. And yeah, my refines are low [I use only mirages to refine :( Working on getting them higher after I get my Cloudcharger, and I may change citrines to garnets then :)]
    I tanked it once in my r8 gear, lower hp and phy def than you, with only one more cleric and realised one thing: Tanking them in melee was easier. The reason is simple: As long as you fight them in melee you see their special attacks (aoes/debuffs/...) better and can time your purify accordingly. So as long as you feel comfortable enough to enter the melee range try it out ;) (the def lvl blessing might be helpful as well)

It was so much easier that i nearly could have soloed it - provided that i have the time. (Needed to ress the second cleric during the fight cause his gear was way worse back then combined with lags.)
    I always felt melee would hit harder than range, especially that I don't have an MP charm, so hit melee att. will break my plume shell easily b:sad

I also see you went heavier on -channeling than most clerics, but that's alright although as Bella pointed out it cost you pdef and efficiancy to get it.

Both bosses have a long range magic aoe, and I believe pole has a short range physical aoe. Keep your shell up and keep them at max distance. The armor break affects armor defense but doesn't affect buffs, so predict it (don't wait till its on) to use demon SoR or sage Vanguard. If I remember right they tend to cast either and aoe or their debuff every 8 seconds and typically alternate, so if they aoe wait about 6 seconds then cast your own buff and you should be safe for 15 seconds. If you get base buffs then use either of these it will overwrite and the base buff will be gone afterwards. Same with demon bells bonus buff.
    Thanks for your detailed reply. Yeah, my phy def. is a little too low to tank Nob/Pole, I'm hanging on my TM79 robe while working on getting the Cloudcharger. Been using mirages to refine gears, so they don't have good refine level, I'll work on that part once I have a bit excessive coins. I did think of using r8 glaive to heal myself, yet, it was my first time ever tried this, so I kind of preferred the 16vits on tt99glaive. And fianlly the debuff timing part you stated above really helps.
    Being fully buffed would help a lot as you already have decent HP and pdef. As Hermaze said their attackes are more predictable when in melee range which is important to help time purify and your other defensive skills and also helps the other cleric as they have less aoes to deal with. If you are tanking up close then you could switch out your r8 ring for a sign of frost chaos for added pdef.

I had a similar goal in pwi to solo both these bosses. I was able to tank them at low 90's with TT90 and soloed them once I got into the late 90's, but my build was/is not something I would recommend b:surrender
    Ty for your reply. I think in melee range, their hit will pressure on my plume shell a lot, and I don't have an MP charm :( The rest of your post I agree though :)
    edited May 2012
    Options
    Good luck and let us know how the progress goes b:victory
  • Hermaze - Raging Tide
    Hermaze - Raging Tide Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    Options
    Ty for your reply. I think in melee range, their hit will pressure on my plume shell a lot, and I don't have an MP charm :( The rest of your post I agree though :)

Their melee attack is actually lower than you might think (when you're at 100+). I never needed plume shell (not a fan of mp charms either...) even though I'm using the pure mag build which isn't really known for its survivability. But well - In the end you'll have to find the way which suits you best ^^
  • SxeChik - Archosaur
    edited May 2012
    Options
    Hello everybody b:victory

So finally I tried tanking 69 again, but this time only my husband healing, no BB. Turned out I succeeded b:cute I did not change any part of my gear, still old stats, but yet I used demon SoR, it sure helped me a lot. So my goal is fulfilled b:chuckle Thought I would share those moments with you guys. Thanks again to those who gave me advices b:thanks

Nob:

http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/2892/20120515184024.jpg
    http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/6633/20120515184255.jpg
    http://img705.imageshack.us/img705/4853/20120515185648.jpg
    http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/6379/20120515185656.jpg

Pole:

http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/5691/20120515183327.jpg
    http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/6572/20120515183506.jpg
    http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/2432/20120515183630.jpg
    http://img859.imageshack.us/img859/5783/20120515183724.jpg

Next goal:... Snakefist b:shocked Maybe gotta wait till I have r9 -.-
    *btw, Elanxu, you rock! :)
  • EtherbIade - Harshlands
    EtherbIade - Harshlands Posts: 68 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    Options
    Gratz its nice you reached your goal. :)
    Ty to let us know that you did it.

b:pleased
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2012
    Options
    Well done! b:victory
  • SxeChik - Archosaur
    edited May 2012
    Options