Some simple questions for a hard decision

Gay_Priest - Raging Tide
Gay_Priest - Raging Tide Posts: 6 Arc User
edited March 2012 in Barbarian
I started a barb but I've been reading on this whole APS (claw barb) evolution that's taking place and I'm not here to judge but I would like to ask :-

1. Can an APS barb still tank effectively as the old school Axe (Vit Barb) in instances?

2. Is there a stat build I could use from level 1 if I aim to become an APS barb?

3. I still do like the Vit tank build (6 Str 1 Dex 3 Vit) but I'm wondering if I could make it (6 str 2vit 2 dex) to help my accuracy so I won't depend that much on the Blood Bath buff?
Post edited by Gay_Priest - Raging Tide on

Comments

• Knownase - Heavens Tear
    Knownase - Heavens Tear Posts: 6,959 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    1. Yes, a claw barb can tank very well. If you have the Bloodpaint buff, you can solo most TTs and even Nirvana, if your gear is well refined.

2. I wouldn't recommend an APS build starting at lvl 1, claw Barb is an advance build, that can only be done at Lv. 99, due to most of the -int gears are available then. Personally, I would play as a normal Barb from lv 1 to lvl 99, then re-stat, if you have an -int tome, you can probably argue you can start going APS at lvl 95. Claw build takes planning, any mess up can be costly, but in my opinion, its worth it.

3. Depending on your Barb's lvl, you can just use Misty Forest Rings to gain +50 Accuracy, it helps having two of those back when my Barb was around lv. 77. Dex is a wild factor imo, I had 100 dex endgame before I was a claw build, and it helped nicely with more crit and sage Bloodbath only benefited more. However, that was like....2 years ago, the game has changed since.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    b:flowerHave a Techno Rave Flower!b:flower

-Self-Proclaimed TW commentator of HT-
    -Certified Barbarian Master-
    -You gained +10 coolness points for viewing this signature-
    -Master of Coffee-
  • Jacerai - Dreamweaver
    Jacerai - Dreamweaver Posts: 943 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    2. I wouldn't recommend an APS build starting at lvl 1, claw Barb is an advance build, that can only be done at Lv. 99, due to most of the -int gears are available then. Personally, I would play as a normal Barb from lv 1 to lvl 99, then re-stat, if you have an -int tome, you can probably argue you can start going APS at lvl 95. Claw build takes planning, any mess up can be costly, but in my opinion, its worth it.

This.

I've run with fist barbs in their 80s before, and while one of them was good (compared to the other 10ish), they still couldn't hold aggro. It's better to restat at end-game for a fist barb.

I do have to admit that I'm a bit biased, but...I can put that aside to say that end-game fist barbs are good...if you know how to play it. Knowledge of the class and class limitations (and how to overcome them) is definitely a need.
    b:cute The world may be small, but it is far from known.

Why the rage? It's a draining emotion.

Me: DaValentine (veno), Jaceraie (mystic), etc etc etc b:chuckle
  • Magnanimous_ - Heavens Tear
    Magnanimous_ - Heavens Tear Posts: 384 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    Aps barb have less survivability than vit barbs. But the general consensus on that matter is if you have at least 15k hp in tiger form (wherever you are a vit or strength or aps), you can tank anything pve instance in the game.

A barb's job is to hold aggro against the boss and this is a following guideline for aps barbs:

"If your tiger form flesh ream can hold aggro against your own Aps built, then, you will be effective while tanking in tiger form"

The implication of the above, makes it more effective to restat to aps only near to end game, when you have at least tripe spark, a decent weapon and aps to have enough damage to rip aggro from your own flesh ream in tiger form.

Most barbs who decide restat to claw will do it at after lvl 89+ (demon spark), or lvl95 (deicide claws) or lvl99+ (interval bonus from TT99's).

But before you reach this point, most effective tanking built is still the vit barb.

Finally, accuracy is not really an issue for barbs. Flesh ream has 100% accuracy and you can always use the devour glitch (upon a successful hit from devour -or a p-def debuff skill-, you will get 100% accuracy on any boss/mobs)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Lhirikoh_WB - Sanctuary
    Lhirikoh_WB - Sanctuary Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    aps barb is indeed not a recommended build but optional at end game to restat. The original tank barb is the way to go if you like to drag and tank mobs more effectively. (no such thing as tanking bosses imo)

APS barb vs. Tank barb versability
    The APS barb will have faster attacks and dps over the tank barb, however they lack the proper def when pulling a few groups of mobs (magic mobs in fcc for example). It is said that their lack of def can be countered using magic ornaments and vit. stones. which barely makes a difference.

The Tank barb has a more superior survivability on mob pulls/tanking mobs due to their high vit. each point of vit. not only gives you max hp but also grants some extra def in both phys. and mag. In some instances when your in a party you'll usually be the last man standing on a boss battle if the DD's and cleric gets wiped on a boss (emperor in TT3-2).

Therefore the tank build has a higher survivability rate over the APS build IMO.
    I leave it up to you if you plan to make a barb with one of the 2 builds.

PS: R9 sage tank barb and proud of it
  • _Mg_Zr - Heavens Tear
    _Mg_Zr - Heavens Tear Posts: 562 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    Go for an endgame aps build but follow the vit build until endgame.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    _Mg_Zr - level 100 sage Barb / level 101 demon r9 aps barb on Harshlands
    Mg_Zr - level 100 demon Psychic
    _mg_zr_ - level 100 demon Blademaster
    |\/|erlin_ 7x Wizard
    Makaveli_ - 8x Harshlands sin
  • Sakubatou - Sanctuary
    Sakubatou - Sanctuary Posts: 4,001 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    I started a barb but I've been reading on this whole APS (claw barb) evolution that's taking place and I'm not here to judge but I would like to ask :-

1. Can an APS barb still tank effectively as the old school Axe (Vit Barb) in instances?

2. Is there a stat build I could use from level 1 if I aim to become an APS barb?

3. I still do like the Vit tank build (6 Str 1 Dex 3 Vit) but I'm wondering if I could make it (6 str 2vit 2 dex) to help my accuracy so I won't depend that much on the Blood Bath buff?

1. An aps barb usually will outtank a vit barb because they have more invested into aggroing ability, meaning more strength and accuracy. The only catch is you need to have gear to make up for the loss of a few vitality that a vit build would have.
    Once geared moderately, an aps barb far exceeds the survivability of a vit barb when tanking bosses. We have enough chi to be constantly triple sparking (20% more hp), invoking, sundering, and if we have bloodpaint we can get the equivilant for 3+ clerics spamming IH on us back in paint heals.

2. I used what you suggested in your 3rd question of 3/1/1 and that way at 100 when I restatted I only needed a single stat reset note. I had decent gear so the loss of 1 vit per level was not noticable and I had very solid aggro abilities because of my str, accuracy, and crit rates.

3. Yes, 3/1/1 is a good build choice in my opinion. Really, as long as you have the 3 str for axes and at least .5 dex per level you can add the other 1.5 stat points wherever.

The old "tank" build died almost 3 years ago when DDs started competing for aggro and becoming tanks themselves. Now the tank build is the person that can hold aggro. Just remember to not neglect your own survivability in exchange for damage.

Others have suggested restatting after 95,99, or 100 which is good. Learn to play as a tiger above all else. Aps is really a 1v1 or chi gaining boost for barbs, not an overall. Even though I have excellent fists, I still spend 90% of the run in tiger form using all my skills, as most barb do. The difference is I have the option of switching to help dd, to keep aggro on single mobs, and contribute more to a run.
    Seven 100+ characters leveled the hard way. Free to play. Mystic, Psychic, and Wizard left to level. b:victory