i need barb help please

XXDarkNinjaX - Lost City
XXDarkNinjaX - Lost City Posts: 171 Arc User
edited April 2012 in Barbarian
yup i need help
if your one of those ppl who come in and say "learn to read stickies" i have so kthx

since theres so many i just dk how to go to make a tanker
ppl said hybrid is a good tanker so im doing that
i have my stats down
3str,1vit,1dex (till 40-45)
and all im just wondering is what skills do i max for a good tanker o.o
Post edited by XXDarkNinjaX - Lost City on

Comments

• Hurrdurr - Lothranis
    Hurrdurr - Lothranis Posts: 1,468 Arc User
    edited March 2012

Read stickies, seriously. Skills to tank are skills to tank no matter the build.
  • XXDarkNinjaX - Lost City
    edited March 2012
    Read stickies, seriously. Skills to tank are skills to tank no matter the build.

learn to read
    i read them they all say different skills
    this is why i made this thread so unless you have useful information to answer my question in this thread dont come back :)
  • Hurrdurr - Lothranis
    Hurrdurr - Lothranis Posts: 1,468 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    learn to read
    i read them they all say different skills
    this is why i made this thread so unless you have useful information to answer my question in this thread dont come back :)

I just did. What are you going to do?
  • Doom_Panda - Harshlands
    Doom_Panda - Harshlands Posts: 356 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    My barbs build is 3 Str, 1 Vit, 1 Dex on Even levels, on odd levels, 3 Str 2 Dex.

The skills you should max are: Flesh Ream, Devour, Roar, Shapeshifting Intensity, Alacrity, Poisen Fang, Axe and Hammer Mastery, Beast King's Inspiration, Strenght of the Titans, Bestial Rage, and True Form for tanking.
    Mains:
    Doom_Panda- 102/101/102 R9 3rd cast Demon Barb 40k HP.
    Dawnx - 100/85 Demon Cleric.
    PsychicTuna- 101/100 Sage Psychic.
    DawnMyst- 96 Demon Mystic.

PANDAS FTW. AND I b:heart ARMA! b:avoid
    edited March 2012
    My barbs build is 3 Str, 1 Vit, 1 Dex on Even levels, on odd levels, 3 Str 2 Dex.

The skills you should max are: Flesh Ream, Devour, Roar, Shapeshifting Intensity, Alacrity, Poisen Fang, Axe and Hammer Mastery, Beast King's Inspiration, Strenght of the Titans, Bestial Rage, and True Form for tanking.

ty what bout all the other skilsl tho o.O
    do i put a few points into them or what :o
  • Doom_Panda - Harshlands
    Doom_Panda - Harshlands Posts: 356 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    ty what bout all the other skilsl tho o.O
    do i put a few points into them or what :o

Yeah but if you plan on tanking you should focus on the skills I listed and then when you have extra spirit level up the other skills.
    Mains:
    Doom_Panda- 102/101/102 R9 3rd cast Demon Barb 40k HP.
    Dawnx - 100/85 Demon Cleric.
    PsychicTuna- 101/100 Sage Psychic.
    DawnMyst- 96 Demon Mystic.

PANDAS FTW. AND I b:heart ARMA! b:avoid
  • Deago - Lost City
    Deago - Lost City Posts: 318 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    Listen to the man above
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Nothing is true. Everything is Permitted.
    Ezio Auditore
  • WnbTank - Archosaur
    WnbTank - Archosaur Posts: 1,472 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    Kitty wonders why nobody mentions frighten. To me it`s obvious skill, decent chi gain and quite strong debuff. Sure it`s expensive one to lvl but imo it`s seriously underestimated among our brethren. Things like ape in 2-3 are quite irritating w/o veno but I`ve noticed that frighten works quite well to soak most of the extra dmg out of his buffs - least for the duration of the debuff.
    Trolling Sid since So Hot :o
  • XylolyX - Heavens Tear
    XylolyX - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    Kitty wonders why nobody mentions frighten. To me it`s obvious skill, decent chi gain and quite strong debuff. Sure it`s expensive one to lvl but imo it`s seriously underestimated among our brethren. Things like ape in 2-3 are quite irritating w/o veno but I`ve noticed that frighten works quite well to soak most of the extra dmg out of his buffs - least for the duration of the debuff.

Frighten is pretty effective even at low levels. No need to spend spirit/coin to level it past lvl 4 or 5 until level 90+.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Lvl10XBarb
    Lvl10XArcher
    lvl10XAssassin
    edited March 2012
    thanks guys but theres other skills u mighta missed? idk like the one where you regenerate hp faster feral something ;o

also looking for what to do with the genie and how to put her stats in?
    i think i got the dex genie atm so lmk what i should do and what skills for good tank :)
    thanks
  • Wild_Garruk - Harshlands
    Wild_Garruk - Harshlands Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    You should lvl all your true form skills if you go tank build. NO surf impact that skill is useless only if you use it on pve mobs..

Also if you go tank build this is how you go

3 on vit and 2 on stre. every 2 lvls add 1 point to dex until you reach 60

when you reach lvl 70 you change to 3 on strenght and 2 on vit.. this goes so you can use the weapons at least you need to have 310 on strengh and 110 vit I suppose...
  • Lolgasmic - Raging Tide
    Lolgasmic - Raging Tide Posts: 1,315 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    yup i need help
    if your one of those ppl who come in and say "learn to read stickies" i have so kthx

since theres so many i just dk how to go to make a tanker
    ppl said hybrid is a good tanker so im doing that
    i have my stats down
    3str,1vit,1dex (till 40-45)

Firstly you're doing the attribute build right, just make sure your ornament (Belt and necklace) are magic resist. That's really important.

Second, if you're not going to invest in sharding your armor (70+), focus on VIT when you got extra points, as you can get the Misty Forest Ring for +50% Accuracy to make up for poor DEX. And if you do invest in sharding, either go full Citrine or hybrid Citrine / Sapphire.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Barbarian 103 - 101 - 101
    Started playing on March 2010
  • Sakubatou - Sanctuary
    Sakubatou - Sanctuary Posts: 4,001 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    You should lvl all your true form skills if you go tank build. NO surf impact that skill is useless only if you use it on pve mobs..

Also if you go tank build this is how you go

3 on vit and 2 on stre. every 2 lvls add 1 point to dex until you reach 60

when you reach lvl 70 you change to 3 on strenght and 2 on vit.. this goes so you can use the weapons at least you need to have 310 on strengh and 110 vit I suppose...

First off, your stat build is wrong. 3 strength per level is required to wear axes of your current level, so if you are going for a vit build it'd be 3str/2vit on even levels and 3str/1vit/1dex on odd levels. Personally, as far as vit builds go, I prefer 3str/1vit/1dex because the crit and accuracy go a long way in producing damage and keeping aggro.

I'd say surf impact is very useful. Can't depend on roar for to hold aggro against decent dd's so you need to dish out your own. The BH79 skill, Untamed Wraith, is nice but so is Sunder and Surf Impact. Since Sunder requires 2 sparks surf impact is your only tiger form aoe that doesn't require chi. Not sure if frighten produces any aggro because it doesn't produce damage.
    Seven 100+ characters leveled the hard way. Free to play. Mystic, Psychic, and Wizard left to level. b:victory
    edited March 2012
    First off, your stat build is wrong. 3 strength per level is required to wear axes of your current level, so if you are going for a vit build it'd be 3str/2vit on even levels and 3str/1vit/1dex on odd levels. Personally, as far as vit builds go, I prefer 3str/1vit/1dex because the crit and accuracy go a long way in producing damage and keeping aggro.

I'd say surf impact is very useful. Can't depend on roar for to hold aggro against decent dd's so you need to dish out your own. The BH79 skill, Untamed Wraith, is nice but so is Sunder and Surf Impact. Since Sunder requires 2 sparks surf impact is your only tiger form aoe that doesn't require chi. Not sure if frighten produces any aggro because it doesn't produce damage.

Yes it does grab aggro.

Trial of Balance, I used frighten out of habit and grabbed the aggro of another few mobs.

No we didn't wipe xD it was just more punching bags to go around for everyone.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • WnbTank - Archosaur
    edited March 2012
    Yes it does grab aggro.

Trial of Balance, I used frighten out of habit and grabbed the aggro of another few mobs.

No we didn't wipe xD it was just more punching bags to go around for everyone.

It`s actually sorta like heal aggro - Any dmg will override it. But I should test someday if heal aggro beats frighten. I expect heal aggro is stronger as frighten doesnt exactly create aggro(If my assuptions are correct) but if mobs normal aggro range is shorter than frightens, it will toggle the mobs "own aggro" on as even if there is no dmg dealt, the mob is hit and thus aggroed. So I`d say frighten creates no aggro but can be used to aggro mobs, just like zeal can be used for that.
  • Sakubatou - Sanctuary
    edited March 2012
    Yes it does grab aggro.

It`s actually sorta like heal aggro - Any dmg will override it. But I should test someday if heal aggro beats frighten. I expect heal aggro is stronger as frighten doesnt exactly create aggro(If my assuptions are correct) but if mobs normal aggro range is shorter than frightens, it will toggle the mobs "own aggro" on as even if there is no dmg dealt, the mob is hit and thus aggroed. So I`d say frighten creates no aggro but can be used to aggro mobs, just like zeal can be used for that.

I had a feeling it was kind of like heal aggro. Not real aggro just "something" that catches a mobs attention. Mostly because its a debuff on them so it'd be about the same aggro as a cleric casting a seal on a mob.

Interesting enough, it trial...3 or 4? I went to round up mobs on my bm and used the new Sword Cyclone skill, which I know generate no aggro, but even though I hit every mob in the room only the ones that would follow if from area aggro (being near them) were aggroed. The other ones that need to take damage to be aggroed were taking damage but because Sword Cyclone produces no aggro they were just standing there while dieing :D
    Seven 100+ characters leveled the hard way. Free to play. Mystic, Psychic, and Wizard left to level. b:victory
    edited March 2012

If he is going for vit build the last think he should think is weapon if he is doing a tank build... Also, yeah surf impact is the only aoe that does not require chi but he is not necessary for him to lvl it up.

What I meant when he is low lvl he needs to build vit not strenght if he can not survive and he is a barb make a bm instead also the tank build does not need high lvl crit so 60 points on dex is enough. the strenght should be 320 on lvl 100 and rest should be vit..
    edited March 2012
    If he is going for vit build the last think he should think is weapon if he is doing a tank build... Also, yeah surf impact is the only aoe that does not require chi but he is not necessary for him to lvl it up.

What I meant when he is low lvl he needs to build vit not strenght if he can not survive and he is a barb make a bm instead also the tank build does not need high lvl crit so 60 points on dex is enough. the strenght should be 320 on lvl 100 and rest should be vit..

I'm 302 base strength, and I didn't even need to do that. The highest required for end game armor is 299 that I know of for sure, there's probably a 300 requirement out there somewhere. Dex I agree with, stop adding to it once base is 60; even though I think you need a bit over 60 [like 64 or so] to wear 99/100/101 weapons.

Also, I reiterate, Only Use Citrine or Sapphire Shards For Your Armor [And Weapon Is Up To You] I made a big mistake sharding my armor with garnets (Immac/perfects).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2012
    I prefer to Use vit stones for end game gear... They add magic and phy defense if you give it to your armor... Also, do not add Garnet to your weapon you DO not need the extra damage but U need ACCURACY is a most for barbs... I know we have blood bath but is not enough when I did not have amber shard on my weapon I only had like 2.2k of accuracy and is sage version so sucks to have it low but when I use amber on my weapon it went to 3.5k accuracy.
    edited March 2012

That's pretty good accuracy, especially for a barb. I'm wearing 2 Misty Forest Rings and they give me around 1.1k accuracy. With Bloobbath I get just over 2.2k

And agreed that bloodbath isn't enough, it would be more useful if it lasted longer than 10 minutes.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Bobobejumbo - Raging Tide
    Bobobejumbo - Raging Tide Posts: 934 Arc User
    edited March 2012

You give some of the worst advice i have ever seen for barbs. Please stop.
    edited March 2012
    thx guys got the stats and skills
    now what bout genie? D: i have the dex genie atm havent added stats or skills to her yet need help with that :) thanks
    edited March 2012
    now what bout genie? D: i have the dex genie atm havent added stats or skills to her yet need help with that :) thanks

My advice would be to make/obtain a strength based Zeal Genie. Strive for roughly 50 magic to obtain at or around 2 energy/sec regen rate.

I like to have 45 Vitality, allows a certain degree of skill spamming and gives you enough energy to use Cloud Eruption.

As far as skills: Solid Shield is a must have. This is the main reason you will be wanting a str based genie as well.

Tree of Protection is great for barbs for a few reasons. Most notably, we get a lot more out of it compared to other classes due to our large HP pools. Also, it's a great way to increase Armageddon damage.

Holy Path for obvious reasons.

Earthflame is a great skill for its luring capabilities. Be aware that it does sometimes glitch and pull everything even though it is not supposed to.

Cloud Eruption is great for getting that extra Chi.

Tangling Mire is a nice complimentary skill to add on an already STR based genie. Think of it as an AoE Devour.

True Emptiness is also good on STR based genies, and is primarily useful for its magic absorbing shield.

Reflective Aura can be a godsend once you master timing it.

Earthquake is a great AoE interrupt (although it has a knockback similar to slam, so keep that in mind).

Absolute domain isn't as great as it used to be, but it still has it's uses.

And Bramble Rage is incredibly useful as well for AoE damage. Examples of where this skill shines being FC pull's or Delta.

I might have missed a couple but that's the general idea of skills you should be aiming for as a tank barb. Obviously you can't have them all on a single genie. Most people have at least 2 genies, sometimes more. Also, you might discover some of the skills aren't really useful for your play style, so you can skip them.
  • Sakubatou - Sanctuary
    edited March 2012

There is a huge difference between a vit/cata build and tank-build that I don't think you understand. Damage is important to barbs because all our defense and hp mean nothing if you don't hold aggro. Yes our aggro skills are important but are most effective when combined with decent damage output.

If you don't believe me, search the barb forums for all the "they tuk R joooobs!" threads where other classes are tanking and barbs are wondering why they can't hold aggro. Its because what you are suggesting in a barb build is barb that runs in then instantly loses aggro to DDs and watches the sin/bm...psychic tank with 1/3 the hp and wonders why they're fail and are only used as a buff ****.

Also, adding to vit is almost pointless endgame for most barbs unless pulling a cata. We talk about barbs having 40k hp endgame but with only 15k hp and some skill you can do anything in PvE. In PvP that vit would be much better stated towards strength for some finishing power. Compare an endgame pure vit (225+) with a strength build and the strength build will have better defenses but vit build will have only about 20% more hp. Yes, 222 vitality only is about 20% of your endgame hp. That's not worth giving up aggro over and obviously way more hp than you will ever need for PvE.

Btw, you seem confused about endgame stats. Highest str req for axes is G13 dual hammers at 306 but most consider 300 for R9 the minimum req. And if you are going a vit build, its 60 green, not base, the reasoning being 52 dex is an armor require at 101 but going to 60 dex gets you more accuracy and 1% more crit.
    So yes, I do find working on weapons and leveling skills like surf just as important because aggro is half of tanking.
    You give some of the worst advice i have ever seen for barbs. Please stop.

I agree.

Barb genie discussion. First, I'd recommend crafting a zeal genie at a Watcher of the Earth for the cost of 3 mirages. The pulling skill is very handy. In addition, most of us like ToP, solid shield, alpha male, and cloud eruption. AD used to be popular, and its still a good choice, but they changed it from 4 second aoe immunity to 5 second caster immunity so it no longer can save squadmates Holypath is also a popular choice. I personally removed it though because I run at 9 m/s anyways and HP only boosts you to 11 m/s, but HP will boost you to 11 m/s even when slowed. Instead I put on tangling mire. Being able to time it to my own combo's when I'll be doing the most damage allows me to keep aggro easier.
    edited March 2012

Barb genie discussion. First, I'd recommend crafting a zeal genie at a Watcher of the Earth for the cost of 3 mirages. The pulling skill is very handy. In addition, most of us like ToP, solid shield, alpha male, and cloud eruption. AD used to be popular, and its still a good choice, but they changed it from 4 second aoe immunity to 5 second caster immunity so it no longer can save squadmates Holypath is also a popular choice. I personally removed it though because I run at 9 m/s anyways and HP only boosts you to 11 m/s, but HP will boost you to 11 m/s even when slowed. Instead I put on tangling mire. Being able to time it to my own combo's when I'll be doing the most damage allows me to keep aggro easier.

I believe HP is 15m/sec. I know it is faster than a mount's movement speed and that is supposed to be 11m/sec.
  • Magnanimous_ - Heavens Tear
    Magnanimous_ - Heavens Tear Posts: 384 Arc User
    edited March 2012

Dexterity-base Genies tend to be less commonly use than strength-base genie because the most useful skills for a barb are strength-base. Nonetheless, here is a couple of dex-base skills u might consider for general purposes:
    extreme poison - amplify damage (single target)
    bramble rage - AOE DD
    chi-siphon - Chi Gain

p.s: ...and also, dont forget to put genie stats into vitality & magic (first priority) while dex/strength are only second priority stats. Standard Skills like ToP or Holy Path is a must as well.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Sakubatou - Sanctuary
    edited March 2012
    I believe HP is 15m/sec. I know it is faster than a mount's movement speed and that is supposed to be 11m/sec.

bah, you're right! I've even been corrected on this before. I keep thinking max mount speed rather than max speed. Thanks :D
  • WnbTank - Archosaur
    edited March 2012
    I prefer to Use vit stones for end game gear... They add magic and phy defense if you give it to your armor... Also, do not add Garnet to your weapon you DO not need the extra damage but U need ACCURACY is a most for barbs... I know we have blood bath but is not enough when I did not have amber shard on my weapon I only had like 2.2k of accuracy and is sage version so sucks to have it low but when I use amber on my weapon it went to 3.5k accuracy.

http://api.ning.com/files/-usxqi*IvYlBXHxh8-YInCd4yPuNrfrSekOwDzKirgal0cPSAhRmePtwnAwe4ZLYr3cUVJQfK0mjaeo1JwKSeNmseuWmJ9dS/PolarFacepalm.jpg?width=489&height=457

But speaking of genies, I really like my infliction which is basically full str genie.Her regen is too low and I feel like I should restat some of the str for it. But damn, 100 str on genie w/o items is mean, back in days when I made the genie(high lvls on archo were 9x) I 1shot all of the air targets `cept 2 9x venos. I remember the TW where I musta 1shot the same veno 5 times, while pulling cata, it was hilarious.

To butt in the build discussion too, I`m seriously wondering of restatting to 400str, 80dex, rest on vit(After gear is taken into account) whenever I`ve farmed/CS`d my R9 and refined it a bit as I really could use that str. Not gonna do it now as I dont feel like refining my R8/TT99 over these low refines as I`m intending to go R9 and the refines would be "wasted". And I need the little hp vit offers as I`m a catabarb and has always been mostly due how small server archosaur is - even my hp(20k) is catapuller here, when going outside top2 factions
    edited March 2012
    ok so i made a str genie..so i put all stats in vit and str?
    and with the little skill tree thing? where it has wood,water,fire etc..what one of those things do i go?
    just simply need those answers no 1000 word paragraphs :)
  • Trump - Raging Tide
    Trump - Raging Tide Posts: 147 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    what ever the requirements are for your choice of genie skills.
    more questions asked-more ppl helping to solve-better community-better support...b:bye