Graphic Settings Guide

Bobobejumbo - Raging Tide
Bobobejumbo - Raging Tide Posts: 934 Arc User
edited March 2012 in Support Desk
Not sure if this is exactly the right spot for this. If not, move it. I'm wanting an in depth explanation of the graphics settings for the game. What does adjusting everything do? The in-game menu doesn't explain anything really.

Is there a change in performance between using windowed mode and full mode?

Is there a difference between using a pre-set resolution for windowed mode and manually adjusting it?

Why do I see no difference when applying both the 16:9 mode and the UI Size box?

What does Gamma actually do in-game? changing it from one end of the spectrum to the other doesn't seem to change anything at all.

Same with Textures. Can't tell a difference whether High or Low. What does this one even do?

What does toggling Refraction Open and Closed do?

What do the Trees, Plants, and Cloud settings actually change? I don't notice any differences whether High or Low.

Why does Soften hurt my eyes b:surrender

What do Warp and V-Sync settings actually do? I can't tell.

What's the difference in the 3 settings for Sound Quality?

Under the UI > Display settings tab:

What does the Customizations box actually deal with?

What are Proxy Visuals and what does that change by clicking it? I can't tell.

Also, What does adjusting the Distances and Effects sliders directly underneath Proxy Visuals change?

I understand this is a lot of questions lol. Any help or insight into this would be greatly appreciated though. If this is covered somewhere point me in the right direction.
Post edited by Bobobejumbo - Raging Tide on

Comments

• Jeremied - Sanctuary
    Jeremied - Sanctuary Posts: 2,259 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    Are you...trolling? Too tired to tell. How'd you get to 89 without playing with the--nevermind don't answer that. Will answer your questions anyway.
    Not sure if this is exactly the right spot for this. If not, move it. I'm wanting an in depth explanation of the graphics settings for the game. What does adjusting everything do? The in-game menu doesn't explain anything really.

Is there a change in performance between using windowed mode and full mode?
    ~~Depends on your system. I like using windowed mode, personally. Otherwise my screen literally does this. I kid you not, that is my screen on full mode. I flipped out when it did that and took me 5 minutes to get the mouse back to the settings box to change it back to windowed. b:chuckle ~~
    Is there a difference between using a pre-set resolution for windowed mode and manually adjusting it?
    ~~In windowed mode, resolution doesn't really do anything. Once you click and drag to change your window size it says "User Set". I believe it carries over from your full screen res though. ~~
    Why do I see no difference when applying both the 16:9 mode and the UI Size box?
    ~~That's in windowed mode, when you click and drag to change the window size. 16:9 will add black bars at the top and bottom of your screen at certain sizes (ie: my sig), and UI size just scales the UI panels around your screen up and down depending on how big you make the window. ~~
    What does Gamma actually do in-game? changing it from one end of the spectrum to the other doesn't seem to change anything at all.
    ~~Gamma refers to how bright or dark the screen is. I never touch mine anymore, so it may be broken from disuse.~~
    Same with Textures. Can't tell a difference whether High or Low. What does this one even do?
    ~~Erm....Occasionally the texture sliders will ...in a way, "time out". Try clicking best performance on and off and then trying again. ~~
    What does toggling Refraction Open and Closed do?
    ~~It's an underwater effect, I believe it only takes effect if your water settings are maxed and you're underwater. Makes things look skewed like real water does.~~
    What do the Trees, Plants, and Cloud settings actually change? I don't notice any differences whether High or Low.
    ~~Trees: isn't very noticeable unless you're actually standing in one XD Maxes the alpha mapping on leaves and such.

Plants:Go stand around Lost teleport and turn on Plants. Some grass should pop up around the tele platform. It's just small things like grass/flowers.

Clouds: Renders clouds in the distance that actually move as if there were wind. Generally unnoticeable unless you have distance settings maxed. If I remember they're more likely to be seen above lakes/rivers, or around Lunar temple. Either that or they're broken too now.~~

Why does Soften hurt my eyes b:surrender
    ~~Because soften is a stupid setting.~~
    What do Warp and V-Sync settings actually do? I can't tell.
    ~~I don't know.~~
    What's the difference in the 3 settings for Sound Quality?

~~<fdkfhkashfBAD - Crappy - Normal>~~

Under the UI > Display settings tab:

What does the Customizations box actually deal with?
    ~~Derp. Turns off everyone's character customizations, like hair style/color/face settings/etc. Turns all the old races into grey haired asians, earthguards into albinos, and fish into...actually they look the same. Fish used to be bald. Was hilarious.~~
    What are Proxy Visuals and what does that change by clicking it? I can't tell.
    ~~I believe that's the render distance for characters around you. Meaning if you turn it on, anyone more than 5 meters away from you will just be a floating name. Unless they're a catshop. Wish it worked on catshops.~~
    Also, What does adjusting the Distances and Effects sliders directly underneath Proxy Visuals change?
    ~~Distances may have something to do with proxy visuals, I don't touch that one. Effects is all the shiny stuff, like weapon/armor glows, skill effects, basically turns off everything that's shiny and green/blue/gold/red/swirly/violent/about to hit you in the face.~~

I understand this is a lot of questions lol. Any help or insight into this would be greatly appreciated though. If this is covered somewhere point me in the right direction.

b:tired Sleep now.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~Demon as of 5/6/12 - On the night where the moon is closer to the earth and brighter than any other night in the past 18 years.~

Slow and steady stays alive~ I'm in no rush, I'm enjoying the journey to end game just as it was ment to be. b:victory
    "You sir, are why I love clerics <3" < Liba - Heaven's Tear
    b:thanks Well thank you Liba<3
  • Bobobejumbo - Raging Tide
    Bobobejumbo - Raging Tide Posts: 934 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    Are you...trolling? Too tired to tell. How'd you get to 89 without playing with the--nevermind don't answer that. Will answer your questions anyway.

b:tired Sleep now.

No sir, not trolling at all. I only troll in General Discussion. Also, I'm 101, my avatar never made it past 89 though, lol. I always just played with everything on max since I have a system that can handle it, but recently I watched a few videos on Youtube from someone whose display looked even better than mine. So I decided it was time to figure out what they all did so I could play with them

Thank you for your help XD

Well I found this for Warp, deep in the PWI archives.:
    Although no one has really bothered to answer my question fully, I'll answer this one to the best of my knowledge. Gattsuru is incorrect in his theory of it adjusting the look of the skybox (the massive sphere that encompasses all of Perfect World that has a huge bitmap slapped on it to make it appear as a sky). Warp is the internal version of water refraction effects. You have a Refraction effect which can be set to Open or Off. When outside of water, when Refraction is set to Open ("on"), things underwater become distorted through the waves. Warp effects that happening underwater. When you turn on Warp and you go for a swim, if you look at the surfaces underwater, you'll notice that they slightly warp and distort as it would happen in real life. Turning it off causes the effects to stop.

It's extremely hard to tell from the Warp screenshots, and it's better when you take a look at it for yourself in-game.

Still need an answer for the V-Sync setting.
  • Jeremied - Sanctuary
    Jeremied - Sanctuary Posts: 2,259 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    b:chuckle hehe, just curious. I'm very trollable because I'm too helpful XD Also, if you want to fix your avatar's level, try switching to your nickname and then back to your barb. That worked for me.

Also here~
    Surtr wrote:
    V-sync is used primarily for CRT monitors to sync the refresh rate of the game with that of your monitor. On flatscreen monitors, it's largely useless.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~Demon as of 5/6/12 - On the night where the moon is closer to the earth and brighter than any other night in the past 18 years.~

Slow and steady stays alive~ I'm in no rush, I'm enjoying the journey to end game just as it was ment to be. b:victory
    "You sir, are why I love clerics <3" < Liba - Heaven's Tear
    b:thanks Well thank you Liba<3
  • CrusherJam - Dreamweaver
    CrusherJam - Dreamweaver Posts: 550 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    I got one for you that you may be able to answer. I upgraded my Video card and some rare cases i see parts of a trees flickering

I see the graphics around the Watcher of the earth flicker as well. (mostly all the time)
    got any idea why? i'm sure its a setting outside of the game as well but i haven't found much info on it

any advice from anyone would be good :-)
    19k Hp and rising my goal is 20k unbuffed (would love 25k )