Bought items from hacker

Options
TwinDreams - Harshlands
TwinDreams - Harshlands Posts: 90 Arc User
edited February 2012 in General Discussion
I'm posting this on behalf of a friend who isn't proficient in English.

Recently he bought a deicides for 30m which was cheap at this period of time from world chat. He thought he could make a crazy profit, so he set up a shop to put it on sales. Then he got a pm from the victim who claimed that the deicides was his and was threatened to have SS taken. The victim accused him as the hacker and wanted his deicides back for free.

Assuming the victim is real (as in the deicides was really his and he got ****), and not some scammer, what will happen to the deicides my friend is holding?

Will GM refund the victim the deicides? If so what happen to the money my friend paid for the deicides? Or... what happen to all those middle transactions among other traders between the hacker and my friend. Or will my friend get banned because he is holding a **** item?
Post edited by TwinDreams - Harshlands on

Comments

• BlissherFX - Harshlands
    BlissherFX - Harshlands Posts: 145 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    People don't get ****, people give account details or items hoping to get benefit from it.
    Your friend should keep the deicides.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Icehart - Lost City
    Icehart - Lost City Posts: 71 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    People don't get ****, people give account details or items hoping to get benefit from it.

I second this
  • Sarrafeline - Sanctuary
    Sarrafeline - Sanctuary Posts: 4,661 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options

Disagreed.

It's a scam, so the OP's friend should call them out on it and tell them they will sell them the deicides back for 120m.
    101 Sage Sin*/Archer
    100 Demon BM*/Barb
    96 Demon Cleric/Sage Seeker
    95 Demon Wiz/
    94 Sage Veno
    85 Psy/80 Mystic
    And a handful of other alts, all 79 and under.
    *Pre RB level
  • Safeng - Sanctuary
    Safeng - Sanctuary Posts: 336 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    I can see this being some cheapass trick to get a free item. He probably hopes you will give it to him and shut up because you're afraid, heh.

Tbh, I'd just wait. Or submit a ticket about it yourself. GMs can track down where those claws come from.

And I guess you will get some kind of refund if you're really the innocent middleman that boguht from a hacker.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Nowitsawn - Heavens Tear
    Nowitsawn - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,864 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    There are two things that can happen:

-Your friend loses his new pair of Deicides and gets his 30m back. (very unlikely)
    -Nothing at all. (most likely)

Even if the victim sends a ticket with screenshots and all, the GM's can still check if he really was the hacker or not through the trade logs. He bought his deicides fair and square (albeit a bit cheaper than usual) and there was no way he could have known that they were ''****'' (keep in mind that this might also be an attempt for the seller to get his deicides back).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Guddah - Archosaur
    Guddah - Archosaur Posts: 92 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    People throw around the word '****' way too casually. The victim was scammed and now wants his items back after making a poor choice. Your friend is fine.
  • Sagek - Sanctuary
    Sagek - Sanctuary Posts: 1,156 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    You know, I wish something like this would happen to me. I would love to mess with the person doing that.
  • Torva_Avune - Archosaur
    Torva_Avune - Archosaur Posts: 143 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    i agree....the dude bought the claw things for 30m,there his,he didnt know.

(also i think the "victim" so called is trying to rip yer freind off..happens to me all the time when i sell platinum charms,i say "offer" and people offer over pm amounts as low as 500k to 1m usually before a decent offer comes along...i ignore the people who offer that low)
  • _Nerox_ - Dreamweaver
    _Nerox_ - Dreamweaver Posts: 753 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options

Recently he bought a deicides for 30m which was cheap at this period of time from world chat. He thought he could make a crazy profit, so he set up a shop to put it on sales. Then he got a pm from the victim who claimed that the deicides was his and was threatened to have SS taken. The victim accused him as the hacker and wanted his deicides back for free.

Assuming the victim is real (as in the deicides was really his and he got ****), and not some scammer, what will happen to the deicides my friend is holding?

Will GM refund the victim the deicides? If so what happen to the money my friend paid for the deicides? Or... what happen to all those middle transactions among other traders between the hacker and my friend. Or will my friend get banned because he is holding a **** item?

"your friend"
    yea riteb:cute
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I Miss the old days of PWIb:surrender
  • _Perses_ - Lost City
    _Perses_ - Lost City Posts: 1,917 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Person who is PM'ing your "friend" is a idiot scamer trying to get a free item off your "friend" by making him/her think that if they don't hand it over him/her will get banned.

Just tell your "friend" to tell the person PM'ing them to go **** off in a hole filled with C4 explosives rigged to explode the moment ejac is released into the area.
    Nothing worthwhile to mention here, enjoy the animated signature~

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Onlyjudge - Archosaur
    Onlyjudge - Archosaur Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options

i give you 20 million for them
  • Renza - Raging Tide
    Renza - Raging Tide Posts: 1,939 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options

Wrong.
    That's simply one of the reasons people get ****, I've been **** on a game before my self, never used any third party programs, no "free gold" websites etc etc, yet it still happens, even happened to a friend of mine, people need to get out of that mind set that you "only" get **** because it's your own fault.

/thread derail
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Kantorek: we hope to see the economy in PWI come back "down to earth" if you will."
    *One week later*
    "Frankieraye: Lucky Corals and Platinum Charms are going to be in the Boutique indefinitely."
    *few months later, PWI puts rank8/9 into the CS insanely cheap, raising gold 1mill+*
  • lordhanzo
    lordhanzo Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Wrong.
    That's simply one of the reasons people get ****, I've been **** on a game before my self, never used any third party programs, no "free gold" websites etc etc, yet it still happens, even happened to a friend of mine, people need to get out of that mind set that you "only" get **** because it's your own fault.

/thread derail

What he meant is (probably), it's not "****" if your items are lost because you shared your account.
    Thats called stealing.

it's like you gave your room key to your friend, and later you found out several items are missing.
    With above example, it will be called hacking if your friend is studying your room's keyhole, making a key duplicate him/herself with whatever tools they have, and entered your room.

Anyway in this case, it cant be called stealing also, because by giving your ID and Password to someone else, it's like your giving them your whole account and everything in it.

Just my opinion.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I'm on Heavens Tear!
  • _Perses_ - Lost City
    edited February 2012
    Options
    lordhanzo wrote: »
    What he meant is (probably), it's not "****" if your items are lost because you shared your account.
    Thats called stealing.

it's like you gave your room key to your friend, and later you found out several items are missing.
    With above example, it will be called hacking if your friend is studying your room's keyhole, making a key duplicate him/herself with whatever tools they have, and entered your room.

Anyway in this case, it cant be called stealing also, because by giving your ID and Password to someone else, it's like your giving them your whole account and everything in it.

Just my opinion.

^ Main reason all my important **** is bound to my characters *** b:victory

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • seitori
    seitori Posts: 1,328 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Have your friend send their own ticket into the Support peeps, explaining what was going on with the supposide accuser and the accusors name, if the support staff finds that the accuser was not showing any sign of access to their account other then their own access (or any sign of them having ever owned a set of Decides for that matter) then their accusors ScReWeD! For lying and scamming someone....b:pleased

Because like everyone has been saying, this sounds like some lame (Half-Azz'd) scam to get a free weapons set.... And it wouldn't suprise me also, if when the support staff tracked back both the 'Accusers account' and the 'Account of the 1 who sold the set to your friend in the first place' they'll likely find that both accounts have 'the same' or 'D*mn*d nearly the same 'IP address & (Area Usage/ Registry Data)' aswell.....b:chuckle

Because that sort of scam also exists in 'MMO games' aswell, to have some Annoying Pr**ks! Set up '1 or more accounts' to sell off Equipment to peaple from the account, and then use another Computer from say an area with lots of Computers in use in them, "Like say a College Dorm Building on a campus for Example.." on an account 'that they 'secretly set up' with false (user/member) data' too harass their 'Unwitting sales Victims' with the same sort of accusations, as your friend has recieved form their accuser... In order to get the items back 'aswell as keep the coin they intitially got from the (Scam Sales) from their Purchasing Victims' just so they can once again sell the item to another 'Hapless Victim' once again on the scammers other sales accounts.........b:scorn

So your friend should report it, as possibly being such a scam possibility, incase it is one of those types of scams..........b:victory
  • Acxfolife - Archosaur
    Acxfolife - Archosaur Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Person who is PM'ing your "friend" is a idiot scamer trying to get a free item off your "friend" by making him/her think that if they don't hand it over him/her will get banned.

Just tell your "friend" to tell the person PM'ing them to go **** off in a hole filled with C4 explosives rigged to explode the moment ejac is released into the area.

^Agreed.
  • Tsukyini - Raging Tide
    Tsukyini - Raging Tide Posts: 1,766 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    ^ Main reason all my important **** is bound to my characters *** b:victory

I have a bank code and keep all my important stuff and coin in the bank. Anyone gaining unauthorized access to my account would get away with taking 100k coins and some crab meat/herbs.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • _Perses_ - Lost City
    edited February 2012
    Options
    I have a bank code and keep all my important stuff and coin in the bank. Anyone gaining unauthorized access to my account would get away with taking 100k coins and some crab meat/herbs.

lol, they would get 100k at most in coin and then maybe a tome if i'm bored and bought one xD

Well crab meat also..Truthfully wouldn't ever be over 100k in total :>

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Bubbles - Morai
    Bubbles - Morai Posts: 1,143 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Wrong.

/thread derail

Except it still can be your fault.

If you got truly **** in another game, either:
    you used a easy to guess login info (easy to guess as easy for a program to force passwords)
    the database for that game got **** and yours upon others were ****

Chances it, it was the former and the website your account was on didn't do anything to hide the account name (like how if you were to post on the forums here, the name would be different than your account name).
    It's also rather easy for programs to find out your password... You can even find out here.

Hackers don't magically get your info.
    They either get it from the database (usually very secure and if breached multiple accounts get affected) or they get it from tricking you or taking advantage of your easy login info.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Renza - Raging Tide
    Renza - Raging Tide Posts: 1,939 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options

you used a easy to guess login info (easy to guess as easy for a program to force passwords)

Chances it, it was the former and the website your account was on didn't do anything to hide the account name (like how if you were to post on the forums here, the name would be different than your account name).
    It's also rather easy for programs to find out your password... You can even find out here.

They either get it from the database (usually very secure and if breached multiple accounts get affected) or they get it from tricking you or taking advantage of your easy login info.

Well my passwords have ranged from strong and very strong when putting them in and the site says if its weak/normal/strong etc, the one time I got **** was through L2 when it seemed mass amounts of people were being ****, then of course they finally thought to put a digit password after you log in to simply enter the game after you chose a character, so either way I got ****, was nothing I could do about it, moral of the story? **** happens, got to just get on with it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Kantorek: we hope to see the economy in PWI come back "down to earth" if you will."
    *One week later*
    "Frankieraye: Lucky Corals and Platinum Charms are going to be in the Boutique indefinitely."
    *few months later, PWI puts rank8/9 into the CS insanely cheap, raising gold 1mill+*
  • Bubbles - Morai
    Bubbles - Morai Posts: 1,143 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Well my passwords have ranged from strong and very strong when putting them in and the site says if its weak/normal/strong etc, the one time I got **** was through L2 when it seemed mass amounts of people were being ****, then of course they finally thought to put a digit password after you log in to simply enter the game after you chose a character, so either way I got ****, was nothing I could do about it, moral of the story? **** happens, got to just get on with it.

Alright then, so the database was ****.
    That doesn't happen a lot though, so I assumed you were describing another scenario.

While in cases like that it truly isn't your fault and nothing can be done about it, almost other every way of getting **** is the user's fault.

When most people come on here and cry about being ****... It's usually something they did, and they almost never admit.
    I remember when there were a lot of spam bots promoting rmt some months ago, there was an increase of i gotz hackeds threads on here...

Point is: People are idiots.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SoniMax - Sanctuary
    SoniMax - Sanctuary Posts: 529 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    lol i'm an innocent player and i got "****"abt 2 months ago and bunch of items were stolen from my char.
    Guess what PWI support team said ?
    They said that since the items were traded "legitimately" they could not be given back :D
    so you can do whatever you want with those deicides they will never go to their previous owner :D even if he submits a ticket
    [SIGPIC]http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=15081871001&dateline=1339865979[/SIGPIC]
    They see me trollin`
    They hatin`
    Patrolling they tryin` to catch me writin` dirty
    Tryin to catch me writin` dirty X4
    My music so loud
    I'm flamin`
  • LyuKang - Sanctuary
    LyuKang - Sanctuary Posts: 216 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    They should add an achievement for people that actually manages to get their char ****...

Achievement unlocked: "Congraturations! A Nublet is you!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- One of the devs trying to fix the game. b:pleased

lvl 100 unbiased all path sage bm.

Currently waiting for them to take their sweet time to fix my avatar...
  • Azura - Lost City
    Azura - Lost City Posts: 2,281 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Tell your friend to not give them back, how do can he know if we has legibly ****? Also, it's not your friends fault even if that guy was ****.
  • Jadsia - Lost City
    Jadsia - Lost City Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Tell your friend to not give them back, how do can he know if we has legibly ****? Also, it's not your friends fault even if that guy was ****.

Agreed. I too believe it's a scam to coerce your friend into giving up the claws. I kinda suspect that the 'victim' was an idiot who dropped them in PK and the victor of such sold them cheap to annoy and insult him further. I'd tell your friend to tell the other guy to GTFO and blacklist him.
    I **** bigger than you...

Shut up and play the game.....Damn
  • Michael_Dark - Lost City
    Michael_Dark - Lost City Posts: 9,091 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    /facepalm

You don't get **** in this game. Every single case that I'm personally aware of has been someone who has given their account info to someone else and then had that person or another who received access to steal stuff.

Those I don't know of seem to consist of idiots putting their username and password into other game related sites or download 3rd party apps from sites where they use their username and password.

Anyone who is proficient at hacking isn't going to go after your stupid game account, no matter if you have billions or uber +12 R9 with a thousand jades in your bank. Your stuff has no real value out of game. A hacker wants your Amazon account, your bank account, your PayPal account, your ebay account... etc...

So whenever someone says "OMG I'VE BEEN ****", I assume they've watched far too many B-movies to be taken seriously.

b:bye
    I post in forums. This one and others. That's why I post.
  • laloner
    laloner Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    The person asking for the free gear should be banned. If he has enough information to prove they are his stolen Deicides then he has enough information to contact PWI and get the thief in trouble so there is no need for him to take this other route.
    AKA PermaSpark, Heartshatter
  • Yin - Momaganon
    Yin - Momaganon Posts: 177 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    /facepalm

You don't get **** in this game. Every single case that I'm personally aware of has been someone who has given their account info to someone else and then had that person or another who received access to steal stuff.

Those I don't know of seem to consist of idiots putting their username and password into other game related sites or download 3rd party apps from sites where they use their username and password.

Anyone who is proficient at hacking isn't going to go after your stupid game account, no matter if you have billions or uber +12 R9 with a thousand jades in your bank. Your stuff has no real value out of game. A hacker wants your Amazon account, your bank account, your PayPal account, your ebay account... etc...

So whenever someone says "OMG I'VE BEEN ****", I assume they've watched far too many B-movies to be taken seriously.

b:bye

Difference between hacking amazon,bank account,paypal etc is that if you get caught you are in trouble. Many crackers wants just to know how it happens and games are very good place to practice as usually game company don't take it further. Also security SHOULD be more higher level in banks and other places that transfer money.
    I'd also like to point out that social hackering is very efficient way to get secret information and I think it is nothing wrong to call it hacking.
  • Channman - Lost City
    Channman - Lost City Posts: 491 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options

false, do you know how easy it is to keylog someone and them never knowing they had it. thats how i got **** on pwi. Didn't lose much but the person sure had fun cussing at people trying to get me banned
  • Aquireis - Lost City
    Aquireis - Lost City Posts: 143 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    false, do you know how easy it is to keylog someone and them never knowing they had it.

^ this is why I use keyscrambler b:victory
    All generalizations are false, including this one.