Everyone Should read, especially GM's, dev, gamers and stockholders

Nymfysubstaz - Dreamweaver
Nymfysubstaz - Dreamweaver Posts: 294 Arc User
edited February 2012 in Off-Topic Discussion
Came across this article today about the age of gamers now. This is so true as a 39 year old mom of two, I am both a gamer and computer geek. This was an interesting read and PW should keep this in mind to keep the game growing and stop this friggin ideology that it's all about end game and get back to people playing together, learning together, leveling together. People spend more money longer when they are enjoying themselves.
Just saying,
staz

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/07/marthazon-the-granny-gamer_n_1257502.html?icid=maing-grid7%7Cmaing11%7Cdl23%7Csec1_lnk1%26pLid%3D133423
Everyone needs a good innocent girly hump every now & then.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by Nymfysubstaz - Dreamweaver on

Comments

• StormHydra - Sanctuary
    StormHydra - Sanctuary Posts: 2,221 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Good times when people my age were the majority of gaming. b:victory
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    |Active: Coalescence - Lost City, Wizard|
    |Inactive: StormHydra - Sanctuary, Archer|
    |Call of Duty: Black Ops|League of Legends|Forsaken World|Perfect World International|The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim|
  • Zanryu - Dreamweaver
    Zanryu - Dreamweaver Posts: 7,261 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Hmm... I better start watching who I hit on.
  • Desdi - Sanctuary
    Desdi - Sanctuary Posts: 8,680 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Lol Zanryu...

That's was a very nice article. You're never too old for gaming :P
    [SIGPIC]http://i.imgur.com/MtwcqjL.png[/SIGPIC]
    ★ Venomancer videos - tinyurl.com/k6ppkw4 ★ Desdi - Demon ♪ Wyvelin - Sage ★
  • Nymfysubstaz - Dreamweaver
    edited February 2012
    Hmm... I better start watching who I hit on.

LOL yep you better watch Zanny! Poor thing soooo warped. (snickers)

Thanks Des, it was a very good article and one that attention should be paid to. It's a market that if PWI isn't careful they could miss out on. Stocks, the game and the gamers could benifit greatly from addressing the group of people that haven't been knitched quite yet. Also, what better way to make all happy? Those who want to power level will still be able to do so. While the older generation will be more apt to go at it by actually killing mobs and doing the quests old school. (like I like too)I speak from experience here. Besides good chance that when the expansion hits those who have power leveled and didn't bother to learn their class are going to go pppfffffttttt. More and more people are living on a limited income. And they need a way to still be entertained. The internet is the perfect place for that and has been for years. But, more of your baby boomers are retiring, out of work etc... so, it benefits gaming companies to seek out these players.

Back when I was in marketing for the restaurant business's this is exactly what I did then. Because, who can afford to eat out the most? Or don't want to cook for themselves, too elderly to cook for themselves etc... So it was an area we took very seriously. I took a failing restaurant who's weekly sales was @45k a week to now they are doing roughly 3 times that amount. Now, it wasn't all marketing but a good deal of it was. That was my job, to turn the market around. So, fast forward years later....this is who in my opinion should be strongly kept in mind.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Zanryu - Dreamweaver
    Zanryu - Dreamweaver Posts: 7,261 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    LOL yep you better watch Zanny! Poor thing soooo warped. (snickers)

Thanks Des, it was a very good article and one that attention should be paid to. It's a market that if PWI isn't careful they could miss out on. Stocks, the game and the gamers could benifit greatly from addressing the group of people that haven't been knitched quite yet. Also, what better way to make all happy? Those who want to power level will still be able to do so. While the older generation will be more apt to go at it by actually killing mobs and doing the quests old school. (like I like too)I speak from experience here. Besides good chance that when the expansion hits those who have power leveled and didn't bother to learn their class are going to go pppfffffttttt. More and more people are living on a limited income. And they need a way to still be entertained. The internet is the perfect place for that and has been for years. But, more of your baby boomers are retiring, out of work etc... so, it benefits gaming companies to seek out these players.

Back when I was in marketing for the restaurant business's this is exactly what I did then. Because, who can afford to eat out the most? Or don't want to cook for themselves, too elderly to cook for themselves etc... So it was an area we took very seriously. I took a failing restaurant who's weekly sales was @45k a week to now they are doing roughly 3 times that amount. Now, it wasn't all marketing but a good deal of it was. That was my job, to turn the market around. So, fast forward years later....this is who in my opinion should be strongly kept in mind.

Warped? Aint nothing wrong with my wood, wanna see? ;)

Oh.. wait.. you weren't talking about that huh.. SORRY everyone, sorry. My bad. b:chuckle
  • Desdi - Sanctuary
    Desdi - Sanctuary Posts: 8,680 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    I wholeheartedly agree with you Nymfy b:thanks

I had fun in the game when it first started and this is what made me stay for the long run. Powerleveling and easy-to-get everything only creates a temporary playerbase that will get bored, tired of having nothing to do (mostly due to the fact that they never explored the actual game) etc. and will eventually quit. There are some exceptions of course (which, I believe, the majority are those who don't quit because they have spend too much and don't want to tell themselves that it went to a waste).

I loved grinding, I love farming, I love the feeling of accomplishment, the satisfaction after the hard work. Those things the boutique will never be able to offer b:chuckle Despite having charged myself, here and there, I prefer farming my things along with aid of the limited merchanting I do once in a while. And I know so many people share the same feelings.

I wonder if any staff of PWE have checked out by now..
    [SIGPIC]http://i.imgur.com/MtwcqjL.png[/SIGPIC]
    ★ Venomancer videos - tinyurl.com/k6ppkw4 ★ Desdi - Demon ♪ Wyvelin - Sage ★
    edited February 2012
    I wholeheartedly agree with you Nymfy b:thanks

I had fun in the game when it first started and this is what made me stay for the long run. Powerleveling and easy-to-get everything only creates a temporary playerbase that will get bored, tired of having nothing to do (mostly due to the fact that they never explored the actual game) etc. and will eventually quit. There are some exceptions of course (which, I believe, the majority are those who don't quit because they have spend too much and don't want to tell themselves that it went to a waste).

I loved grinding, I love farming, I love the feeling of accomplishment, the satisfaction after the hard work. Those things the boutique will never be able to offer b:chuckle Despite having charged myself, here and there, I prefer farming my things along with aid of the limited merchanting I do once in a while. And I know so many people share the same feelings.

I wonder if any staff of PWE have checked out by now..

There are a couple who undoubtedly have either read this post oooor heard something similar from me already. LOL But, this article reinforces and really brings that point home. hahaha I spend money on the game don't get me wrong if for no other reason to satisfy my gambling and tele addiction. I chose the HT server instead of going back to my level 97 wizzy on DW so I could grind again and relearn my wizzy all over again. LOL I have spent a lot of money on this game over the years. (We just won't tell my husband how much...chuckles) I look at it this way, I could either play this game or go shopping, buy expensive coffees, lunches out, drinks etc... This game is cheaper on hubby's pocketbook so he let's me spend away. Plus, for a good game I don't mind spending on. We spend for kids games so this is no different.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Ytineres - Lost City
    Ytineres - Lost City Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    The article brings up very valid points, and I'm glad you posted it. I've been talking to a 67 year old relative about trying the game. His is retired and becoming less mobile. He also like online games like dominoes and what not. Another person who is looking into the game is my mom( age 50) . She's been playing since Atari and has always sat down and had gaming competitions with my brother and myself on every console we ever had.

On the game itself I've run into many players that are 50+ who love instances, some pvp, and just hanging out w the rest of us. Older gamers are becoming common and it'll be a mistake to ignore that.
    edited February 2012
    The article brings up very valid points, and I'm glad you posted it. I've been talking to a 67 year old relative about trying the game. His is retired and becoming less mobile. He also like online games like dominoes and what not. Another person who is looking into the game is my mom( age 50) . She's been playing since Atari and has always sat down and had gaming competitions with my brother and myself on every console we ever had.

On the game itself I've run into many players that are 50+ who love instances, some pvp, and just hanging out w the rest of us. Older gamers are becoming common and it'll be a mistake to ignore that.

I couldn't agree more. Well said Ytineres and I'm glad you promote the game! GL to you!b:victoryb:thanks
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mcfreakie
    mcfreakie Posts: 531 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    The big question: Will PWE/PWCN actually pay attention before shutting down PWI to simply replace it with another 'New' game?
    edited February 2012
    They have enough games I don't think that's an issue for awhile.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Zliss - Lost City
    Zliss - Lost City Posts: 61 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    it was so true, the first guild i joined i met a old lady in her 40s playing everyday, even ask her daughter to play, and she met a nerd guy in his 40s or 50s (i cant remember), and she flew over to the old man's country and wanna marry him, i was like wow, anyway, she used a lot of smileys, emotions in the game, i find it disgusting.