Pure Tiger Form: A wise choice for me?

Options
Sovanara - Heavens Tear
Sovanara - Heavens Tear Posts: 11 Arc User
edited February 2012 in Barbarian
I'm an old player just returning, but even then, I never made the fancy progress to anything high. I feel like i just need to get back into gear now that school is settling down and I know how everything works to balance my time.

Anyone has their ways and preferences. Quite frankly, I'd go with anything involving a good amount of time as an animal though I'm not exactly one particular group - but that's beside the point. I never been in a dungeon with a party. Only once, but that was because someone wanted to do it for me.

I never understood the dungeons so it makes it trickier on me to see if I am worthy of tanking in a place with a possibly different style of dungeons.

To end this quickly, I'm a newblet who had mmorpg experience before and just returning for the millionth time. I love tigers and the concept of turning into a full-on tiger plus I found it quite amusing to ride a carpet in feral form. I probably will struggle with money and I'm still waiting for the chance to get a job (don't worries I'm still living my youth) so I cannot contribute much to getting cash shop items. I can read the stickies and follow along with the builds, but I just want to know if someone like me should take it up?

Tiger form provides tanking, defense and health regeneration which I love. Or maybe I should focus on learning the ropes and aim for the Veno?
Post edited by Sovanara - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• Sakubatou - Sanctuary
    Sakubatou - Sanctuary Posts: 4,001 Arc User
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Yes, for new or unacustomed players I suggest vit build and tiger form. It gives you a chance to learn squad dynamics while providing a huge "comfort" factor because you are so hard to kill. The downside will be your frustratingly slow killing speed, so its good to team up with a friend who kills while you tank. Venos on the other hand tend to be for the "loners" of PWI. Their pet is thier squad and they tend to avoid learning squad dynamics until later.
    Seven 100+ characters leveled the hard way. Free to play. Mystic, Psychic, and Wizard left to level. b:victory
  • XylolyX - Heavens Tear
    XylolyX - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Most barbs will concentrate their builds towards maximizing tiger skills first, then humanoid skills second. At lower levels barbs will either lack spirit or coin to level both.

*On a side note, level alacrity to lvl 8 as soon as possible, since it's a channel canceling skill. Level 8 allows the barb to time more easily the interrupts since cooldown coincides with the boss channeling.

And don't forget to get frighten to at least level 1, it's an important but oft overlooked skill that will increase your survivability as it is an AOE debuff.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Lvl10XBarb
    Lvl10XArcher
    lvl10XAssassin
  • Sakubatou - Sanctuary
    Sakubatou - Sanctuary Posts: 4,001 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Most barbs will concentrate their builds towards maximizing tiger skills first, then humanoid skills second. At lower levels barbs will either lack spirit or coin to level both.

*On a side note, level alacrity to lvl 8 as soon as possible, since it's a channel canceling skill. Level 8 allows the barb to time more easily the interrupts since cooldown coincides with the boss channeling.

And don't forget to get frighten to at least level 1, it's an important but oft overlooked skill that will increase your survivability as it is an AOE debuff.

Protips :D

Reason XylolyxyyxloxlXlx mentioned lvl 8 Alacrity is its cooldown decreases as you level it. At level 7 or 8 it coolsdown right as most bosses do their aoes, so you if you interupted their previous attack then it should work again if you hit it right as it coolsdown. Its a good way to learn the timing and should be left at level 8 till you are comfortable interupting bosses.
    Seven 100+ characters leveled the hard way. Free to play. Mystic, Psychic, and Wizard left to level. b:victory
  • tweakz
    tweakz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Venos on the other hand tend to be for the "loners" of PWI. Their pet is thier squad and they tend to avoid learning squad dynamics until later.

I learned aggro mechanics much faster by soloing as a veno. It did take a while for me to learn why BMs would whine for chi. I still have to learn why Seekers want spawn point RB then whine for chi from us now especially when most of the time they aren't out DDing my veno.
    Be kind: Help the GMs to depopulate the servers.
  • Deago - Lost City
    Deago - Lost City Posts: 318 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options

1 important thing my furry friend forgot to mention is at higher lvls with a barb repairs are not so cheap as we are the "meat shield". This however is not a worry so much at lower levels as long as you pick up items and just npc them. Another thing is get Flesh ream to level 10 asap and Roar. The reason I say this is Ream is your main aggro skill, (increasing the amount of aggression on your character from the mob) and Roar resets the aggro and gives it to you for a moment as well as reflects damage. This is great for doing large pulls that other classes may not be able to handle.
    Also when you reach 59 you get your 3 best skills, Armageddon, Sunder, and Invoke. you can leave Armageddon at level 1 till about level 80 since it requires hp and mp and not based on your weapons damage, but I suggest getting up Sunder seeing at it is a 12 meter AOE skill and heals you while your target/targets bleed. And Invoke is a must this skill will save your life all the time as this skill reduces 90% or the damage you take. For example, if a mob is hitting you for say 400 magic damage you should take about 150 with just Invoke. (This not include your physical and magic defenses). And last but not least the barb class takes a lot of time to learn but also level since we cant kill as fast, but with leveling slow this helps for you to better strengthen your knowledge on how to play.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Nothing is true. Everything is Permitted.
    Ezio Auditore
  • Sovanara - Heavens Tear
    Sovanara - Heavens Tear Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Thanks for the advice b:thanks

I see I'll be needing to max out and simply get particular skills when I need them later on. Since some sound like tiger skills (though I think Roar is humanoid if I remember) so I can see if it reflects if i focus more on that [tiger] form. I'm not sure when each form is better since there are the up and downsides, but I'm sure I'll have fun since I'm still learning the ropes.

I'll focus on the stats for the right gear, but I never tried a Vit build if that's recommended.
  • Deago - Lost City
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Thanks for the advice b:thanks

I see I'll be needing to max out and simply get particular skills when I need them later on. Since some sound like tiger skills (though I think Roar is humanoid if I remember) so I can see if it reflects if i focus more on that [tiger] form. I'm not sure when each form is better since there are the up and downsides, but I'm sure I'll have fun since I'm still learning the ropes.

I'll focus on the stats for the right gear, but I never tried a Vit build if that's recommended.

Roar is a tiger skill, yes focus on your skills for tiger but also learn how to play in humanoid form as well since both have their set of skills that will make a play style like non other :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Ezio Auditore
  • Maelael - Heavens Tear
    Maelael - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,497 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    I enjoyed the hell out of a high HP barb until about 92. There's something about pulling massive amounts of mobs and being able to tank it all while keeping aggro.

But I also leveled it back in the pre-hyper-plvl days.

He's a great banker now though! Here is to hoping they fix barb aggro.

I've grouped with plenty of clawbarians and they do fine.
    pwcalc.com/bb6fc16982637a5c / pwcalc.com/28948ee5778526f5
  • Deago - Lost City
    edited February 2012
    Options
    I enjoyed the hell out of a high HP barb until about 92. There's something about pulling massive amounts of mobs and being able to tank it all while keeping aggro.

But I also leveled it back in the pre-hyper-plvl days.

He's a great banker now though! Here is to hoping they fix barb aggro.

I've grouped with plenty of clawbarians and they do fine.

They shall never fix the aggro issue if there is even one, seeing as Flesh Ream and roar are aggro as well as having alpha male on your genie, and your wrong most claw barbs do not keep aggro from a sin in human form let a lone a bm can still out dd us.

How do i know +10 regs
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Ezio Auditore
  • Maelael - Heavens Tear
    Maelael - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,497 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    They shall never fix the aggro issue if there is even one, seeing as Flesh Ream and roar are aggro as well as having alpha male on your genie, and your wrong most claw barbs do not keep aggro from a sin in human form let a lone a bm can still out dd us.

How do i know +10 regs

"Do fine" =/= "Keeps Aggro". When I say do fine, I mean they keep aggro from low damage output classes, and contribute damage well.

I haven't seen a barb keep aggro on anything I'm using claws/fists on since I hit 100 - wether they are using Claws, Axes, Aggro Skills, Genie Skills, or wishful thinking. And I'm only using +12 G13 claws.

The last time I saw a barb with aggro, it was a R9 +12 Vit barb who arma'ed while my HF was up at the start of the boss fight. He kept aggro for about 5-ish seconds until I ripped aggro back. Only reason the Sin didn't have aggro is because she was a +12 4.0 R9 Sage sin.

Trials it seems to be a battle between the BMs, Clawbarbs, and Barbs for aggro. Clawbarbs will just 3spark continually, the BMs will rotate in HFs and lose some aggro, and the Barbs will Arma repeatedly and rack up the damage. It seems the sins tend to behave because they get tired of running back from the fac base to the boss when they take aggro. So Trials its definitely a "WTF?" with aggro, as I even end up with aggro from time to time, and I'm just rotating HF and GS to debuff.
    pwcalc.com/bb6fc16982637a5c / pwcalc.com/28948ee5778526f5