Mystic or Psy

Asako_ - Sanctuary
Asako_ - Sanctuary Posts: 11 Arc User
edited January 2012 in General Discussion
Ok so i've been working on both and i really love them both ,they are really nice! the only problem is, is i want to help and be basically dependable in a squad. I love mystics because of the rez buffs, and they can be both DD and heal. I love psy's because they can be both heal and DD

problems?

Mystic: mp consumption and im poor >.< this supper bugs me b/c ik it'll always be a problem and i dont want to end up stranded and usless and end up meditating in the middle of figthing a boss

Psy: Not as dependable. yes they are great for DD but are they TOO great? and their heals arent good (ik they arent a healing class but it could save a group :P) Also im squishie...pure magic, and i dont wanna take agro from a boss and end up dead b:shocked

soo can anyone help me with this inner conflict?!?!?!
Post edited by Asako_ - Sanctuary on

Comments

• SharkAngel - Heavens Tear
    SharkAngel - Heavens Tear Posts: 118 Arc User
    edited January 2012
    If you're really big on party support, then go with the Mystic. Sure, the MP eating will be a bother for awhile, but it'll get better at later levels (better MP potions become available at lv 75). At lower levels while doing squad-based activities give your Ressurect to a Cleric - they're the ones who'll need it most (if you're the only healer, ensure that you're always buffed with it). You can even focus solely on healing/support instead of DDing to lower your MP comsumption as well.

As a psy, if you're worried about taking aggro, you can pace your attacks and use DoT skills (Torrent, Sand Trap, Soulburn). You can also wait a few seconds into the fight before you start attacking to lower your chances of stealing aggro.

I hope this helped ^^.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Reix - Dreamweaver
    Reix - Dreamweaver Posts: 97 Arc User
    edited January 2012
    Another thing for the psy and taking aggro, be careful what voodoo you use. If you think you're pushing your luck, swap to White Voodoo for a bit if you're using Black Voodoo, to lower your attack level. Or if you're worried to start and don't want to cut your attack too much, just don't use either voodoo.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Kremia - Lost City
    Kremia - Lost City Posts: 507 Arc User
    edited January 2012
    If you are poor, better make a veno and start grinding.
    Mystic will eat A LOT of mana, so you will have to buy A LOT of pots or/and charms.
    Psy is a great for pvp, but is not cool in pve, i mean in frost, bhs and stuff like that psy is only another dd, that can be replaced with a sin or a wizzy.
    And to have a good pvp psy you need to have good gear and refine it a lot, so at the end is more costly that a mystic.
    ijs ofc
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Renza - Raging Tide
    Renza - Raging Tide Posts: 1,939 Arc User
    edited January 2012
    Mystic at with clear thoughts +triple spark = infinite MP, my mystic never pots, even in FC, unless the squad somehow fails in FC and I'm eating through my MP spamming heals or something, when I'm the main healer in FC (no cleric) I set res buff onto everyone and still don't need to pot, same goes for TT really, just got to know how not to waste your MP, also pre 75, buy mp regen gear, I never bought a single pot and always had loads spare from mob drops and from the box you get from level 1-50, people just don't know how to play a mystic/the game right.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Kantorek: we hope to see the economy in PWI come back "down to earth" if you will."
    *One week later*
    "Frankieraye: Lucky Corals and Platinum Charms are going to be in the Boutique indefinitely."
    *few months later, PWI puts rank8/9 into the CS insanely cheap, raising gold 1mill+*
  • thumbs
    thumbs Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2012
    Mystic at with clear thoughts +triple spark = infinite MP, my mystic never pots, even in FC, unless the squad somehow fails in FC and I'm eating through my MP spamming heals or something, when I'm the main healer in FC (no cleric) I set res buff onto everyone and still don't need to pot, same goes for TT really, just got to know how not to waste your MP, also pre 75, buy mp regen gear, I never bought a single pot and always had loads spare from mob drops and from the box you get from level 1-50, people just don't know how to play a mystic/the game right.

^^Nice to see someone not talking out their butt about Mystics and MP. Mystic is perfect for low budget person. Veno is NOT!
  • Jin_Wang - Lost City
    Jin_Wang - Lost City Posts: 109 Arc User
    edited January 2012

Apparently what she said is true for squads for only healers, you really should invest in mana regeneration gear below level 75. Then again you could invest in focus powders (level 30+ apothecary) / flourish orbs (level 45+) for 50 MP regeneration every second for 10 minutes, which can give you a batch of five each (which can total as 50 minutes per batch). At level 60, you can invest in concentrate orbs which gives you 100 MP per second for 10 minutes each. That is for free if you do harvest herbs, I do recommend if you to harvest them whenever you see them. Only do healing in squads though because mana regenerate is divided if you are in combat state (when you attack or get attacked). This also applies for clerics (and wizards) as well, you should keep healing as a priority.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • RouxLouka - Dreamweaver
    RouxLouka - Dreamweaver Posts: 511 Arc User
    edited January 2012
    My mystic is always out of mp when doing caster nirvana and I'm never doing any real healing. I literally have to pot every cooldown. Luckily, all my mp pots are free from the divine order quests.
    /quit.

</3 All packs/Awful community.
  • DeffyNature - Archosaur
    DeffyNature - Archosaur Posts: 1,400 Arc User
    edited January 2012
    thumbs wrote: »
    ^^Nice to see someone not talking out their butt about Mystics and MP. Mystic is perfect for low budget person. Veno is NOT!

Who's talking out of their butt now?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Hazumi_chan - Sanctuary
    Hazumi_chan - Sanctuary Posts: 1,264 Arc User
    edited January 2012
    Who's talking out of their butt now?

If you would count in a herc and nix, then he's right XD

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Sarrafeline - Sanctuary
    Sarrafeline - Sanctuary Posts: 4,661 Arc User
    edited January 2012
    thumbs wrote: »

If you use a non-herc/veno pet that you tame yourself, Veno can be one of the best money-making classes in the game. Before Gold went into the 1 mil + range, some Venos actually were able to accumulate the coin to buy the gold to get a Herc without using RL money at all.

Now that there is now pet market and gold has stabilized above 1 mil, it's become pretty hard. However finding a Herc or Nix ticket for 90m makes grinding coin for one possible still.

As for Mystic, they do use a lot of MP. Psy as well. But so can Cleric. And so can an Archer. FCC and TT aren't the only things that people are going to be doing... Thought TBH, mystics are basically target practice for archers/sins in TW. b:surrender
    101 Sage Sin*/Archer
    100 Demon BM*/Barb
    96 Demon Cleric/Sage Seeker
    95 Demon Wiz/
    94 Sage Veno
    85 Psy/80 Mystic
    And a handful of other alts, all 79 and under.
    *Pre RB level
  • Xainou - Sanctuary
    Xainou - Sanctuary Posts: 5,369 Arc User
    edited January 2012
    Mystic at with clear thoughts +triple spark = infinite MP, ...

Trololol. Yea, past 79. Or 89 if you go by the spark. Nice try. lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Licensed tail brusher of ƙɑƙʊɱɑʊ ~ only the fluffiest
    Outrunning centaurs since 2012~
  • Baby_pho - Heavens Tear
    Baby_pho - Heavens Tear Posts: 636 Arc User
    edited January 2012
    i agree with renza and thumbs

mystics even at lower lvl if you do the devine quest for pots it shouldnt be a prob with apoth and such too for lower instances/quests/pheonix valley. and even in ff you dont spark its not a problem with the 79 skill(clear thoughts).

and I agree with thumbs if you roll a veno. Even if you say you wouldnt invest in a nix or herc. veno's 9sage/demon) skills are crazy, amp 30m+, summer sprint 30m+, purge 10m ish, if you go sage sage degen 20m-30m, give or take these are the more expensive ones and much more.

while mystic skills every thing are about 15m below except verdant shell the sage version.

even if you dont invest in nix or herc at least skills. it is way more even if you get the book clip from the mysterious merchant.

on to topic, chose w/e is fun for you. or you can try making a mystic first then psy or viversa. both are fun and unique in their lil way. if you like to do dmg you might not want to lvl ur voodoo till you are 99 or 100 or leave it at lvl 5 at certain point because you are scared of the agro. or take rings off at bosses till tenk gets definate agro. even if you are pure mag there shouldnt be a problem if you shards and refine to at least 2. and it is easy to refine to 2. mystic is fun too.
  • Renza - Raging Tide
    Renza - Raging Tide Posts: 1,939 Arc User
    edited January 2012
    Trololol. Yea, past 79. Or 89 if you go by the spark. Nice try. lol

Trololol? what's that about? It's pretty obvious what level the skill and triple spark is for so once both of them are in a mystics hands, MP is pretty infinate, it is for me anyway, I think the most of the 75 pots I use in FC is 3, that's usually if somehow the barb dies during a pull due to lag perhaps, then I'm stood right near where a bunch of mobs are running back then I'm sat there healing and getting cragg out or something.

I should of mentioned about pre 75 just getting some of the +50mp reg pots, I used them when I was solo healing things like bh59 while getting res on everyone, they helped immensely and as I've said in other threads, do the divine quests, get the orders, trade the gold ones in for 300 potions each giving you 1k mp back.

I really don't see where the issue is with mystics and MP, the people that have problems keeping there MP up (excluding PK/TW obviously) are simply playing them wrong, unless it's some situation where you're constantly re-summoning your pet and giving it all your MP.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Kantorek: we hope to see the economy in PWI come back "down to earth" if you will."
    *One week later*
    "Frankieraye: Lucky Corals and Platinum Charms are going to be in the Boutique indefinitely."
    *few months later, PWI puts rank8/9 into the CS insanely cheap, raising gold 1mill+*
  • thumbs
    edited January 2012
    If you use a non-herc/veno pet that you tame yourself, Veno can be one of the best money-making classes in the game. Before Gold went into the 1 mil + range, some Venos actually were able to accumulate the coin to buy the gold to get a Herc without using RL money at all.

Now that there is now pet market and gold has stabilized above 1 mil, it's become pretty hard. However finding a Herc or Nix ticket for 90m makes grinding coin for one possible still.

As for Mystic, they do use a lot of MP. Psy as well. But so can Cleric. And so can an Archer. FCC and TT aren't the only things that people are going to be doing... Thought TBH, mystics are basically target practice for archers/sins in TW. b:surrender

If you use a non-herc veno pet; you're fine but excluded, frowned on, gimped, etc. The only way I'm making big money regularly with my veno is because it's rank 8, +10, +55 atk level, Sage Amplify Damage, Sage Soul Degeneration, and has a Herc.

ALL classes CAN use a lot of MP. Do you run around with your veno casting both Myriads constantly? -If so: you will need way more pots than my Mystic. Target practice? -Mystics have a self buff that grants them a boost in wood, water, and physical defense. To get any boost like that for veno; you go to Fox Form, (sacrifice half your skills, your range, and more). Psychics likewise can sacrifice DD for defense.

Before we even got the Mystic class; we saw that it could solo stuff at a certain level before ANY other class. You have single decent DD pet that cost an arm and a leg while we get one as a standard skill that can not only DD on par, but AoE and range tank which makes it able to tank many things your $Nix$ and $Herc$ CAN'T! Mystic can Chicken Hawk better than Venos. -You can't even compete with Mystic with the Legendary pets.

Skills? 180 Advanced Mystical Pages to your 360 .

Mystics don't pay for / use pet food. We don't need pet cage/bag. We don't need to waste time (cost) leveling our Summons. We don't pay millions to teach them new skills. Mystics don't need the $-ch$ gears as much as veno. Mystic is more desirable (once people catch on) than a veno for Rebirth, FFC, Caster Nirvana, and many more.

Mystics scale so well! There are no huge costs for anything great but gear, and that gear is shareable unless you go rank. So you could put a Veno, Cleric, or Wiz on the same account and use all the same equips (including weapon which you can't do if you roll a Psychic). Sage Verdant Shell is rare, but can be compensated for with gear, and Mystic already has better prone defenses with L10 Verdant Shell.

The appeal of Psychics for me is the plethora of AoEs. Wizards have a drawback and can do fine 1-1 but can't spam ranged AoEs. Mystics on the other hand are hindered when they can't AoE.
  • Shayd - Raging Tide
    Shayd - Raging Tide Posts: 475 Arc User
    edited January 2012
    I have 60s Mystic and just created Psyhic alt, I love their skills and how they literally kill opponents with their own attacks, It's like Anti-Assassin but I don't see many Psyhics around anymore, what happened?
    Mystic: 99 lvl (Main)
    Psychic: 96 lvl (Alt)
    Assassin: 78 lvl (Retired)
    Cleric: 75 lvl (Retired)

Big bumpy ride since 2008
  • thumbs
    edited January 2012
    I have 60s Mystic and just created Psyhic alt, I love their skills and how they literally kill opponents with their own attacks, It's like Anti-Assassin but I don't see many Psyhics around anymore, what happened?

They never really caught on. They do kick butt, but I'm not rolling one because they need their own weapon. I'm thrifty and love having Mystic, Wiz, Cleric, and Veno that can share everything especially when the weapon is the biggest investment by far.
  • MomoYukino - Lost City
    MomoYukino - Lost City Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited January 2012
    Well just my 2 cents...

Both mystic and psy eat alot of mp but I'd say mystic uses more. I got my mystic to 80 with one plat mp charm and I solo pretty much everything I can. I do mean everything and no frost either, none.

My psy is only 6x and I don't play her much, (I have one of each class, 12 chars...) so I can't comment on the mp usage at 8x. But I've never felt the need to get a charm like on mystic. I really felt like I needed it. Even regen (apoth) pots couldn't keep up. I did run tiger event on mystic a lot so maybe this is why. Even in normal play, I don't like to stop and meditate to regain hp/mp.

However veno is my main and it's true (imo) that veno is cheapest to play, not counting herc and nix (which have dropped to 80m/each since they came out in packs btw)

When you're flat broke you can always make money on a veno whether you have herc/nix or not. Repairs are nothing, pots are minimal if any, so everything is profit.

Not trying to steer this into a veno conversation tho, I enjoy playing psy and mystic equally.

Think about your play style and what you can afford. If you want to be seriously competitive in endgame, any class is going to be hella expensive, so save up or get into merchanting so you can afford it. If you're not the uber-competitive type, try any and all classes and see what you like. Good luck! b:thanks
  • Xshoker - Dreamweaver
    Xshoker - Dreamweaver Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited January 2012
    mystic is very easy to kill !!! if youre pet dye ! you dye after the pet !

i am psychic lvl 60 and i was in duel with mystic lvl 78 :
    when i killd his pet he just tryin to run from me ! but i catch him !! i give him only 2 attacks and he's DEAD !

so i think Psychic is better becoze of his strong skills !
  • Mystic_Man - Harshlands
    Mystic_Man - Harshlands Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited January 2012
    Dear OP:

I have both. My Psychic is 100, and tbh, she gets no squads due to sheer player greed. Everybody wants +8 or higher DD's for Caster BH, and being a free player, I can't afford it.

I attempted to roll a venomancer, but after discovering for myself the agony of leveling their pets, I decided instead to roll a Mystic.

Psychics are incredibly nice to have, especially during TW and AoE instances. We have more AoE's than any other class, so it's nice to have in places like FC or Trophy Mode, where the need is high. We don't deal as much damage to bosses due to their higher Water and Earth resistances, but combined with Soulburn and Sage Soul of Vengeance casted on the tank, it becomes very easy to take things down much bigger than you.

Another fun thing is that NOBODY understands the class, unless they actually go through and level it the old school way. The soulforce, and the status effects seem to confuse the...slower....members of the community. (I STILL get people who ask what Sage SoV and Bubble do when I announce I have them in WC to get squads, as an example. Don't even get me started on APS toons who I go white voodoo+Psy Will+Soulburn on....
    "QQ how u kill me u no hit!?"
    16k Soulforce, son.)

If you're going to roll a Psychic, go sage. Sage Bubble of Life becomes an AoE heal/purify, and Sage SoV costs no mana when cast on the tank. People will generally take you over a demon Psychic, despite that the demon versions of the class tend to deal more damage overall.
    Prepare for a heavy refining bill if you plan to be a decent Psychic. The more refines and the higher your gear level is, the more Soulforce you have.

The Mystic is another story. While it's true that it's more "squad friendly" the mana cost drives me up the wall. The Psychic doesn't eat up nearly as much MP, but then again, its skills are less PvE intended.

Mystics are extremely useful, and very diverse. The fact you can save your own **** when you're trying to solo things (instead of infusing like venos do, which eats up your MP when you're low on health, and vice versa) is very convenient for me. Their heals are very potent for a non-cleric, and their plants combined with pets and proper healing can solo most instances very easily. (I plan to do TT with this Mystic when it's said and done.) I also like their wood DoT, which can be nasty when you stack it with thicket and the proper pet.

In PvP, Mystics will be EXTREMELY handy with the rumored upcoming expansion on skills--being able to see assassins within a longer range than that of Seekers. This will make Mystics very wanted to large factions who TW. It will also mean that generally, sins will not want to **** with you.
    The knockback is also very, very useful for APS toons who enjoy facerolling casters. Push them back, and then give them a taste of the Listless Blossom or thicket. While they're asleep/frozen/slowed, give them hell. You have the fastest casting time in the ENTIRE caster class set. (A trait which your class stole from Psychics, who were before this expansion, the fastest casting class.)

The only complaints I have for mystics are the lack of HP and the high cost of MP for skills. Other than that, I have nothing.

My advice? Why choose one? If you want to play both, by all means, do so! I would suggest leveling the Mystic first, and then using your Mystic to gear up and level the Psychic, as Mystics have better solo capabilities.
    Both classes are very versatile and useful imo.
    [SIGPIC]http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=15105911002&dateline=1334936268[/SIGPIC]

Save PWI: 2012
    ttp://s73.photobucket.com/albums/i206/xyz_02/Save%20PWI/

We play this game---We know how to fix it.