Forums Crashing Web Browser

Options
_DarkSeph_ - Sanctuary
_DarkSeph_ - Sanctuary Posts: 2,294 Arc User
edited January 2012 in Support Desk
No idea what's causing this one, hopefully something simple though.

For some reason, randomly one day the official forums decided to crash Firefox. Every single time I load this forum, it almost instantly crashes my web browser. Tried restart, virus scan and all the usual precautions.

I can open the forum on Internet Explorer (which is how I'm posting now), however after a few minutes IE will slow down and have a massive memory usage, up to 5 times normal. All other websites are working perfectly fine and I have no other online issues, and as mentioned, this was completely at random.

Obviously this creates a few issues if I ever want to charge zen or get a Jones Blessing or DQ rewards. Any ideas?
Post edited by _DarkSeph_ - Sanctuary on

Comments

• _DarkSeph_ - Sanctuary
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Bump.

Still no luck with this, no one has any idea at all?
  • SylenThunder - Twilight Temple
    edited January 2012
    Options
    As a general rule, the forums don't work well with most browsers. You can't even properly log in if you're using Opera. FireFox has a history of compatibility issues, I am at a loss as to why you would use it now. I hear people like the extensions, but then people like having a thousand malware-bloated toolbars in their browser too. And then they complain their super gamins system runs like ****.

IE has constant cache issues and if you don't clear it regularly the many sections of the site quit working properly. It's also got that nasty memory leak.

I've been using Chrome for 3 years now and never once had an issue with the site that wasn't directly related to PWE's fail web developers and/or the databases falling over. (with the rare exception of that DDoS attack a while back.)

Switch to Chrome and you will happily be browsing without fail. Continue using one of the problematic browsers and you will continue having problems.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • _DarkSeph_ - Sanctuary
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Ah, Internet explorer has a memory leak? Explains a lot. Never had any problems with firefox until now so I thought it might have been something else. I've heard good things about Chrome anyway, so I'll make the switch and hopefully that should fix it, thanks for the help.
  • _DarkSeph_ - Sanctuary
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Bumping again.

Chrome ended up failing just as badly as IE. It will open the forum, but when loading each page it frequently becomes unresponsive for long periods of time and racks up high mem usage. The rest of the internet and the game is still working perfectly as usual.

Obviously the problem is on my side since I haven't seen any other similar complaints, but I'm at a loss as to what it could be. I've scanned for viruses and malware, don't use toolbars or addons, never had this problem in the past 3 years, and tried 3 different web browsers now.

Anyone at all able to help?
  • Kimi - Dreamweaver
    Kimi - Dreamweaver Posts: 88 Arc User
    edited January 2012
    Options
    I use Google Chrome and have no problem with the forums, so that's a shock to me. o.o I wish I could help, but I have no idea. :(
  • SylenThunder - Twilight Temple
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Personally, I would be running thorough scans on my system for bad system files if I were at the point you are Dark. You might try using a different program to scan for malware and viruses too. (Recently had Avira find 7 viruses, then Kapersky found 7 more, then BitDefender found 44 that the previous two missed on an infected system when I was testing software.)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]