A suggestion based on RL history

Options
FoxRunning - Heavens Tear
FoxRunning - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,048 Arc User
edited December 2011 in General Discussion
i saw this story in our local paper, and had to share it. there is so much bickering here, and on WC, that perhaps story might suggest a calmer day tomorrow...

The Christmas Truce

Though there was no official truce, about 100,000 British and German troops were involved in unofficial cessations of fighting along the length of the Western Front.[8] The first truce started on Christmas Eve, 24 December 1914, when German troops began decorating the area around their trenches in the region of Ypres, Belgium.[9]

The Germans began by placing candles on their trenches and on Christmas trees, then continued the celebration by singing Christmas carols. The British responded by singing carols of their own. The two sides continued by shouting Christmas greetings to each other. Soon thereafter, there were excursions across No Man's Land, where small gifts were exchanged, such as food, tobacco and alcohol, and souvenirs such as buttons and hats. The artillery in the region fell silent that night. The truce also allowed a breathing spell where recently fallen soldiers could be brought back behind their lines by burial parties. Joint services were held. The fraternisation was not, however, without its risks; some soldiers were shot by opposing forces. In many sectors, the truce lasted through Christmas night, but it continued until New Year's Day in others.[7]

Bruce Bairnsfather, who served throughout the war, wrote: "I wouldn't have missed that unique and weird Christmas Day for anything. ... I spotted a German officer, some sort of lieutenant I should think, and being a bit of a collector, I intimated to him that I had taken a fancy to some of his buttons. ... I brought out my wire clippers and, with a few deft snips, removed a couple of his buttons and put them in my pocket. I then gave him two of mine in exchange. ... The last I saw was one of my machine gunners, who was a bit of an amateur hairdresser in civil life, cutting the unnaturally long hair of a docile Boche, who was patiently kneeling on the ground whilst the automatic clippers crept up the back of his neck."

to all PWI players, a happy and holy Christmas day!
25je81d.jpg
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
(and hugs to Flauschkatze for the sig!)
"Thanks for writing me-- it's always great to hear from a vet.

-FrankieRaye"
Playing here since '08b:heart
Post edited by FoxRunning - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• fuzzywuzz
    fuzzywuzz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    Options
    The panda approves of this thread. b:thanks
    [SIGPIC]Need to talk to Fuzzy?[/SIGPIC]
    Sig by NowItsAwn
  • Kremia - Lost City
    Kremia - Lost City Posts: 507 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Niice b:pleased
    And same, happy christmas to everyone
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Sarrafeline - Sanctuary
    Sarrafeline - Sanctuary Posts: 4,661 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    Options
    I work at a Car Dealership.

They put a tree up in one of the stalls.

Then they put an old spark plug wire, some dirty used gloves, a door card, and various bits of automotive garbage (yeah, they went through the trash for these items) on the tree...

It's rather humorous, especially the shattered reflector tinsel.
    101 Sage Sin*/Archer
    100 Demon BM*/Barb
    96 Demon Cleric/Sage Seeker
    95 Demon Wiz/
    94 Sage Veno
    85 Psy/80 Mystic
    And a handful of other alts, all 79 and under.
    *Pre RB level
  • orangejuice0
    orangejuice0 Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Touchie story with many hidden meanings.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • HadesHound - Raging Tide
    HadesHound - Raging Tide Posts: 357 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Even in a time of war, we need to once in a while be able to sit back and just be neighbors. Sadly, the troops fighting in WWII, Korea, Vietnam, and the Middle East never got a chance to experience this.

Thank you for sharing this. As an old Marine (91-95) stories such as this have real meaning to me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    It's not the years that matter, it's the milage that has true meaning. Do not spend your life trying to walk a mile in someone else's shoes. Walk the best path you can, and enjoy that journey.
    And ladies... Save a cowboy, ride a brony!
  • Boartracker - Raging Tide
    Boartracker - Raging Tide Posts: 614 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    Options
    As an old Marine (91-95) stories such as this have real meaning to me.

b:chuckle Semper Fi, bro. Feb'69~Nov'78, 0311/ 0369. So I guess this makes me Ancient? b:laugh

I would like to wish a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all of you. I hope you enjoy your family and friends, both in real life and in game. May the coming year bring you health and peace.

This is just a game and I hope that everyone can remember that and have fun playing.

b:thanks

b:bye
  • FoxRunning - Heavens Tear
    FoxRunning - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    Options
    thats really cool to have you two solders here....we can have our own Christmas Truce here on PWI!

my grandfather was in WW 1, but later, in the occupation, guarding German POWs in the caves of Roquefort,France. and the POWs and Americans used to trade stuff all the time. a family heirloom is a pair of cannonshells, etched with crossed French and American flags, and the date, with tulip petaled tops on both. he paid a pack of Victory cigarettes for the pair...the going price, amazingly.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    (and hugs to Flauschkatze for the sig!)
    "Thanks for writing me-- it's always great to hear from a vet.

-FrankieRaye"
    Playing here since '08b:heart
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Semper Fi Boartracker! I hope that you dont mind that I sent a Friend Request. Is that your in-game name as well? If so, I would like to add you there as well.

Thats cool to hear Fox, about your Grandfather. And thank you for the recognition.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    It's not the years that matter, it's the milage that has true meaning. Do not spend your life trying to walk a mile in someone else's shoes. Walk the best path you can, and enjoy that journey.
  • Reaperarm - Harshlands
    Reaperarm - Harshlands Posts: 117 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    Options
    3rd Infantry division Ft. stewart GA 2001-2009. I've heard similiar storys from my grandfathers who were in WWII and WWI. There is a great lesson in these stories for all, military or not. I wish you all a merry christmas and happy new year.
    If you find yourself hopelessly pulled towards running into massive amounts of mobs in a vain attempt to aoe them all to death.......You just might be a bm.
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Awesome to see so many Vets here. Mind if I add you as well Reaper?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Reaperarm - Harshlands
    Reaperarm - Harshlands Posts: 117 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Sure , im not on the forums much but feel free to add me.
    If you find yourself hopelessly pulled towards running into massive amounts of mobs in a vain attempt to aoe them all to death.......You just might be a bm.
  • X_trigger_X - Heavens Tear
    X_trigger_X - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,301 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Knew about that story for many years even though I'm only 21 and not involved in the armed forces. Was always nice to hear about people being human like that in times of war regardless of what their "superiors" wanted.

Although I didn't hear as much as I would have liked from the older people in my family about our part in the 2 Wars, I did learn my great grand dad was a part of the events at Dunkirk, and the wall that seemed to be made on the beach.

Alas this is a game, and people may find it fun to TW regardless of what is happening in real life. So a weekend without TW may not happen.

But Merry Christmas to all b:cute
  • didi
    didi Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    Options
    I'm not religous nor an atheis, but to me, there is something magical about christmas. Idk what it is, but there seems to be evidence of it here and there.

The christmas truce is one such example. As ugly and desperate as war can be, christmas brought out the best in them. This happens every year for many of us too, and regardly of sex, race, class, religion or background, the magic of christmas is there.

While growing up, I use to think christmas was just another holiday where its better than other ones because you get presents. Now though, having seen how ugly we can be and how christmas can at one time bring out the beauty in so many of us is nothing less then magical.

We should have gotten together and requested a big christmas tree in arch and have the ability to place a present there and each one of us can get one present each at christmas. If half of us place gifts, which most or even better, all of us each get a presant each, it would truely be an eventful christmas experience i think.

Merry Xmas all b:pleased
  • Jaggerjaques - Sanctuary
    Jaggerjaques - Sanctuary Posts: 153 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    Options
    According to the story I heard, a soccer game broke out at one of the truces.
    helr-cleric-8x
    Jaggerjaques-BM-8x
    blackrobe-wizard-7x
    _Tara-veno-6x
    Superpoke-sin-7x
    punching_bag-barb 7x
  • blond
    blond Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    Options
    There's a very beautiful song about this story by Collin Raye named It Could Happen Again. you should check it out, I'm sure many of you would appreciate it
  • OIdpop - Heavens Tear
    OIdpop - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,052 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    Options
    b:sad the good ole days..man we need anotehr worldwar to get more memories.
    This game is like washing hair with shampoo... Rinse and repeat if desired.
    Proud owner of many mains.101 bm,101 seeker,101 demon sin,100 sage sin,101 archer,101 barb,100 cleric,100 wiz( first toon since sept 08 finally made it in 2013)newly added mystic 100 HA,72 psy.
  • rolix9
    rolix9 Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    Options
    b:sad the good ole days..man we need anotehr worldwar to get more memories.

Atombomb in your backjard wont make the best memories. Besids my grandmother lost her whole family in worldwar two. So never say thing like that
  • Sefiere - Sanctuary
    Sefiere - Sanctuary Posts: 81 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    Options
    This gave me a big laugh, oh my......

and seeing some of these post is makin the human side in me very sad.....