Game graphics

sk87
sk87 Posts: 44 Arc User
edited December 2011 in Support Desk
Hello, my laptop that I have now has a Nviia GTX 460 M GFX and I can run this game on maxed settings. I am wondering if I can run this game on a desktop that has a Nvidia Geforce GT 520 M? I am selling my laptop because I want a desktop and was just wondering if I will be able to run this game maybe in medium settings? Thanks for the info!
Post edited by sk87 on

Comments

• Michael_Dark - Lost City
    Michael_Dark - Lost City Posts: 9,091 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    sk87 wrote: »
    Hello, my laptop that I have now has a Nviia GTX 460 M GFX and I can run this game on maxed settings. I am wondering if I can run this game on a desktop that has a Nvidia Geforce GT 520 M? I am selling my laptop because I want a desktop and was just wondering if I will be able to run this game maybe in medium settings? Thanks for the info!

Why in the hell would you get a desktop with a moble gpu?

Any current bargain bin dedicated graphics card should allow you to run pwi maxed on a fairly high resolution monitor.
    I post in forums. This one and others. That's why I post.
  • Ariella_ - Lost City
    Ariella_ - Lost City Posts: 245 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    You can run this game on a computer from the 90's...
    <3 b:cute
  • sk87
    sk87 Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    You can run this game on a computer from the 90's...

lol thanks to the both of you, wasn't sure cause some games lag with lower graphic cards and did not want to waist money on a desktop if it could not run this game. I was just looking for something cheap that could play this game since it is the only game I play. This is the pc I might get but I am not sure yet. http://www.walmart.com/ip/CyberPower-1TB-GXi250/16672337 or http://www.amazon.com/CyberpowerPC-Gamer-GUA160-Gaming-Desktop/dp/B005TJKGGU/ref=sr_1_60?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1324684704&sr=1-60

Yes it is much lower than my ASUS G53SW laptop but I really want a desktop.
  • L_DAMIEN_l - Heavens Tear
    L_DAMIEN_l - Heavens Tear Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    My new notebook can run ****. Envy me, *******.
  • Michael_Dark - Lost City
    Michael_Dark - Lost City Posts: 9,091 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    My new notebook can run ****. Envy me, *******.

My year old notebook can probably beat up your new one. b:chuckle
    I post in forums. This one and others. That's why I post.
  • Shayd - Raging Tide
    Shayd - Raging Tide Posts: 475 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    There is big difference between GT and GTX so most likely 520 will not be as good as 460, High setting possible but with lag at cities and populated areas
    Mystic: 99 lvl (Main)
    Psychic: 96 lvl (Alt)
    Assassin: 78 lvl (Retired)
    Cleric: 75 lvl (Retired)

Big bumpy ride since 2008
  • ItsAWolf - Archosaur
    ItsAWolf - Archosaur Posts: 464 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    Go for it, anything is better than a laptop.
  • Segreta - Sanctuary
    Segreta - Sanctuary Posts: 291 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    I lag in archosaur with maxed setting with a Sapphire HD 4670 512MB GDDR3 QQ
    Iam Segreta,Queen of the Chicken Kingdom,proud owner of the legendary Blue Chicken,BEHOLD Mortals o,o^
    Current # Chickens:
    ^,^ <- My Cleric <3
    o,o <- My Veno
    n_n <- My Bm
    =,= <- My Barb *Used as Mount*
    >,o <- My Sin(Stealth all the time for no reason)
  • fuzzywuzz
    fuzzywuzz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    While technically not a technical support question, it does deal with technical issues and the OP is looking for support so technically Fuzzy thinks it belongs in the technical support section of the form.

-moved-

Hope that will support the OP in getting a response.
    [SIGPIC]Need to talk to Fuzzy?[/SIGPIC]
    Sig by NowItsAwn
  • Fintan - Lost City
    Fintan - Lost City Posts: 1,245 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    As a rule, avoid Nidia chipsets that are "xyz" where "y" < 5. So a 460 will work far better than a 520, for example. Just keep an eye on that second number and don't get anything where it's less than a 5.

The 400-series Nvidia cards are more than powerful enough to run PWI with everything maxed (if you don't save too much money on the CPU, as PWI is also somewhat CPU-intensive due to the older DirectX version it uses). So, yeah, your 460 is fine and you should look for something similar when you upgrade.
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    MuSHRooMS - Lost City (currently inviting new members) b:victory
    WeAreMuSHRooMS.com
  • Cloudmuffin - Archosaur
    Cloudmuffin - Archosaur Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    so if i have this kick *** alienware "gaming system" with all my settings on high what kind of frames per second should be running?
  • SylenThunder - Twilight Temple
    edited December 2011
    so if i have this kick *** alienware "gaming system" with all my settings on high what kind of frames per second should be running?

Well it's all going to depend on how much **** is loaded on your kick *** system, how up-to-date your drivers and software are, and how your system is optimized.

I'm running Windows 7 on a Pentium Core 2 Quad 6600 with 4GB Ram and a 8800GT 512MB card.
    Full out on graphics I get 12-18FPS in West Archosaur, and 45-65 out in the rest of the world. (Even in TW, it doesn't get below 35.)

And that's on a system that is near 5 years old.
    Of course, the same system with a bunch of tool bars, bloatware, and no optimization is lucky to get 25FPS at best and 4-5FPS in West Archosaur.

The client is CPU-intensive, not GPU-intensive. Keep the ram wide open, and lean your system down for the best experience. If an average system that's 5-years old can run it well, then something newer can run it better. The part where most people fail is with all the **** that's loaded on their systems and with not keeping drivers up to date or the OS optimized.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • christoren
    christoren Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    b:shockedb:shockedb:shocked got pwi to work , just cant see skills, items etc. just a bunch of question marksb:surrender
  • Fintan - Lost City
    Fintan - Lost City Posts: 1,245 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    christoren wrote: »
    b:shockedb:shockedb:shocked got pwi to work , just cant see skills, items etc. just a bunch of question marksb:surrender

That's unrelated to the topic of this thread. Wine is quite unsupported by PWE and the Wine AppDB used to have hints on the cause of that. Also, check out the Tech Support forum.
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    MuSHRooMS - Lost City (currently inviting new members) b:victory
    WeAreMuSHRooMS.com
  • plixplox123
    plixplox123 Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    I have similar problem ... winxp + 3gb ram + gtx260 - west archosaur ~ 5-15fps - lowest detail ! Horror
  • darthpanda16
    darthpanda16 Posts: 9,471 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    Here is some info that will help you that I have learned since 2008 with PWI.

The game uses single core CPU as its main workhorse. So your multicore CPU MUST have excellent support for running single core older programs. Even some brand new ultra powerful multicore CPUs can choke on the game because an individual core isn't up to Pent 4 2Ghz capabilities on its own. The game isn't made for multi core CPUs. Please be aware of the CPU features. b:surrender

GPUs are secondary in running PWI. The more video RAM, the better. I had a 8000 series nvidia GPU workstation in 2008-2009 here in the office with 1.2GB of video RAM. Game ran SO smooth it was insane (Core 2 Duo CPU and 2GB of RAM on XP). If you have a 128bit or 256bit wide bus video card with 1GB of RAM or more, you will thank me. b:pleased

The GPU needs to have support for shader model 1.4 (2.0 and up suggested.) on XP.

Vista and Win 7 need/should have Shader model 2.0 for just Windows.

The game will NOT run on systems from the 1990s. I have verified this with hundreds of our players that have tried b:thanks
    Do you need help learning about patching the game, installing it, changing antivirus/firewall settings, changing network settings, learn how to use a computer, keeping your PC maintained and more?
    Visit our BRAND NEW Knowledge Base & Support Website! - Tech Support Flowchart - Panda Caught on Camera