Newbie Mystic

Wulfkin - Harshlands
Wulfkin - Harshlands Posts: 9 Arc User
edited January 2012 in Mystic
Hey I have been doing alot of research on mystics and I'm finding alot of good info, and I'm liking the class alot but a couple of things I am torn on, being a pvp orientated person. First of all the necessity of vit. I have read several posts that make excellent points on adding a certain degree to vit while maintaining AA status. Mostly for the fact of the 500 more hp (depending on what you add) which is equivalent to 5 immac stones and mystic being a class where you may do this as alot of its skills and passives focus more on your weapon attack than your actual magic. (For example your summon's stats going purely off of your weapon) Also for the fact of skills like Lucky break which make the magic power lost much less noticeable. Is this course of action wise? Because my main concern about my mystic is its squishiness. Which is fine in PvE but when I think about a barb using Armageddon in pvp I go into a sweat =/

Is the small amount of added survivability worth it?

Secondly I am torn on Demon vs. Sage. Yes I am aware that it is mostly for playstyle but I have read a guide on mystics which lists the improvements with each branch and I find myself undecided. Sage has alot of skills which assist in regaining your chi which is excellent, while demon increases your damage(generally). Normally as I am on a pvp server and partake in pk regularly I would go with demon, but on a skill or two I saw an increase to critical strike rate and I find myself questioning the usefulness of this with skills like Lucky Break.

So basically my question is for pvp which is better? Demon or Sage?

I apologize for my ignorance but I would greatly appreciate opinions on these subjects. If you could also explain your reasons behind your opinion I would be grateful!
(After 4 times of being one shotted by Dipster, once with a friend)

Me:-sits barely outside of mob radius- Dipster...I know we have had our differences, but I have learned that violence solves nothing. So I make my peace with you. I will forgive you hitting me for 10k damage and one shotting me. I will even forgive you one shotting my friend and then sitting on him. Now I will go in peace...but rememeber the first rule in battle... EXPECT THE UNEXPECTED!!!!
-Charges at Dipster in tiger form hitting him with Flesh Ream before being hit for 10.5k-

Quote:Never Wrong, just misguided. -Wulfkin
Post edited by Wulfkin - Harshlands on

Comments

• XMiyala - Dreamweaver
    XMiyala - Dreamweaver Posts: 187 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    Hey I have been doing alot of research on mystics and I'm finding alot of good info, and I'm liking the class alot but a couple of things I am torn on, being a pvp orientated person. First of all the necessity of vit. I have read several posts that make excellent points on adding a certain degree to vit while maintaining AA status. Mostly for the fact of the 500 more hp (depending on what you add) which is equivalent to 5 immac stones and mystic being a class where you may do this as alot of its skills and passives focus more on your weapon attack than your actual magic. (For example your summon's stats going purely off of your weapon) Also for the fact of skills like Lucky break which make the magic power lost much less noticeable. Is this course of action wise? Because my main concern about my mystic is its squishiness. Which is fine in PvE but when I think about a barb using Armageddon in pvp I go into a sweat =/

Secondly I am torn on Demon vs. Sage. Yes I am aware that it is mostly for playstyle but I have read a guide on mystics which lists the improvements with each branch and I find myself undecided. Sage has alot of skills which assist in regaining your chi which is excellent, while demon increases your damage(generally). Normally as I am on a pvp server and partake in pk regularly I would go with demon, but on a skill or two I saw an increase to critical strike rate and I find myself questioning the usefulness of this with skills like Lucky Break.

I apologize for my ignorance but I would greatly appreciate opinions on these subjects. If you could also explain your reasons behind your opinion I would be grateful!

Ok, I don't have alot of pvp experience, but I will go based off of what I know or believe. In my opinion, going pure is best for magic classes. 50 vit only amounts to 500 more hp, and that really isn't that much, where as going pure and having that extra 50 magic is going to make your magic attack 1k more, which makes a huge difference imo.

http://pwcalc.com/0cc8defd694f1351 My current build, I know it's not that great. (it's not the exact right stats. My hp and pdef are actually a little higher.)
    http://pwcalc.com/739e6465b9d07710 This is my build with 50 vit added. I would take the 10k magic over 500 extra hp.

And yes, I'm scared about barbs using arma, and sins popping outta stealth and one shotting me, but hey... that's mainly what the game is. Anyways if I can, I like to kill things before they get to me.

As for demon/sage. I went demon, but I think most mystics go sage. I thought about going sage, but the only reason I thought about it was for verdant shell or cragglord. Then I realized I play more like a rambo DD mystic, and most of the skills fit my part.
    Anyways, I think both paths are good, but I would just go with what your most comfortable with.
  • Wulfkin - Harshlands
    Wulfkin - Harshlands Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    About the stats I see your point but the only reason why I even suggested about 50 vit is that mystic's skill seem to go off of their weapon damage more than their natural magic. So summons will be unaffected by the magic reduction. The only reason I am even considering this is because it seems that Mystics rely mainly on their amps to do damage and their amps on heavily dependent on their weapon quality and refines. Yes it is arguable that more magic is more damage overall but the damage gained per magic is most times relatively small maybe 200 damage per hit but when you are hitting for 3-4k with amps 200 is a small difference. While the vit, even if only adding 500 hp, does increase your survivability and even if it is only 500hp you have to remember it also raises your p. def to a degree which can decide alot in pvp as compared to your 200 less damage which, depending on the pet you are using, be of little to no use because using an example, say Storm Mistress hits about 2k per hit with 150 base magic. As long as your weapon is still the same she will continue to do 2k per hit even if your magic was 300. Which, depending on your pvp style can be a big deal and even in PvE 200 damage per hit will not be missed especially if you are in a supporting role... Even after looking at the stats you showed me with and without vit you lost less than 1k attack power and about 100 off each element def and gained about 100 p.def but think about how big of a difference that is. I would be willing to lose 100 off of my 7k defense at worse and gain 100 on my 2.5k p.def is all I'm saying.
    (After 4 times of being one shotted by Dipster, once with a friend)

Me:-sits barely outside of mob radius- Dipster...I know we have had our differences, but I have learned that violence solves nothing. So I make my peace with you. I will forgive you hitting me for 10k damage and one shotting me. I will even forgive you one shotting my friend and then sitting on him. Now I will go in peace...but rememeber the first rule in battle... EXPECT THE UNEXPECTED!!!!
    -Charges at Dipster in tiger form hitting him with Flesh Ream before being hit for 10.5k-

Quote:Never Wrong, just misguided. -Wulfkin
  • XMiyala - Dreamweaver
    XMiyala - Dreamweaver Posts: 187 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    About the stats I see your point but the only reason why I even suggested about 50 vit is that mystic's skill seem to go off of their weapon damage more than their natural magic. So summons will be unaffected by the magic reduction. The only reason I am even considering this is because it seems that Mystics rely mainly on their amps to do damage and their amps on heavily dependent on their weapon quality and refines. Yes it is arguable that more magic is more damage overall but the damage gained per magic is most times relatively small maybe 200 damage per hit but when you are hitting for 3-4k with amps 200 is a small difference. While the vit, even if only adding 500 hp, does increase your survivability and even if it is only 500hp you have to remember it also raises your p. def to a degree which can decide alot in pvp as compared to your 200 less damage which, depending on the pet you are using, be of little to no use because using an example, say Storm Mistress hits about 2k per hit with 150 base magic. As long as your weapon is still the same she will continue to do 2k per hit even if your magic was 300. Which, depending on your pvp style can be a big deal and even in PvE 200 damage per hit will not be missed especially if you are in a supporting role... Even after looking at the stats you showed me with and without vit you lost less than 1k attack power and about 100 off each element def and gained about 100 p.def but think about how big of a difference that is. I would be willing to lose 100 off of my 7k defense at worse and gain 100 on my 2.5k p.def is all I'm saying.

The only things affected by your weapon's attack are your summons. (i.e., devil, mistress, salvation, thicket, and craggord) All your other skills are affected by your magic attack. However adding 50 vit, will make your summons have more hp, but only 250 more, since your summons get 50% from you. 100 more pdef only amounts to 1% more damage reduction, which isn't that much. Anyways, I always like for my offense to be my defense, if you get what I'm saying. Like I said before, I haven't had much pk experience.
    Mystics are crazy durable as it is.
  • Brillance - Raging Tide
    Brillance - Raging Tide Posts: 1,643 Arc User
    edited January 2012

It depends - so many variables on ways to make a Mystic. If you buy game cards from time to time or are a pure Cash Shopper - then yes, its worth it at least at lower levels. I switched up to Pure Mage at level 90, but I had a lot of points in Vit prior to that - in PvE at least, it lets you get up close and personal with the tank & bosses. One boutique sale on Advanced Reset Note, and alls well at higher levels.

PvP is a little different, in that a player that does high DD can pretty much 1-hit you at the right time no matter if you put all your points in Vit.

Gemming - Citrine and a sprinkling of Garnet now for me, at End Game - I hope to go all Vit Stones (except weapon).

Ring Engraving - Magic ring has Mag Att, Rank Might ring has +7 Vit.

Gear bonuses - I personally look for Vit & Magic as selling points. Channeling is cool for Arcane me, but you might find more Crit to be helpful in PvP.

In the end, it doesnt matter I dont think. Light Armor wearers tend to PK & seem to express a preference for Demon, while Arcane wearers (who also PK) seem to prefer Sage.

I had a longtime player express the opinion that he couldnt imagine playing any Mage Char without Sage (chi bonus), so I went with his advice (also never used anything but Arcane) - but when it comes down to it, this question is like "which came first - the chicken or the egg?", and good arguements for either will go on as long as PWI and the Mystic does. One bonus I found to going Sage on my server is that skill books for spells seem to be more plentiful & cheaper for Sage. But, that could change as more & more people are making Mystics - and for some, just the name "Demon" seems much cooler than "Sage".

No need to appologize. No one sprang from the womb with full knowledge of PWI. b:chuckle