Cannot connect to server

sparxles
sparxles Posts: 0 Arc User
edited November 2011 in Support Desk
I've been able to connect to server twice this week. Every other time, the game has not let me in. I've tried several times today with no luck. Any suggestions?
My computer seems to think it's funny to only let me on every other day. I just can't seem to find what's different between the times when I can get on and when I can't. b:cry
Post edited by sparxles on

Comments

• Allisandre - Sanctuary
    Allisandre - Sanctuary Posts: 1,452 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    Without details on any part of your system or network, I am at a loss to help you. I don't see why you guys don't think to post your system information when you start these threads.

It's not hard, and if you aren't computer savvy, Google is your friend, you just have to make an attempt.

Here's what we need to help you...

Operating System Information

System Specifications (I recommend Speccy)

Security Software. (No link here, you're going to have to use your head on this one.)

A DxDiag.txt log file.

In some cases a HiJackThis log is also helpful.

If the issue is related to lag, DC'ing, or connecting to a server post a copy of a traceroute to the server. (take it at the time that you are having a problem, not when you aren't having issues.)

Also, if you are having trouble with lag, DC'ing, or connecting to a server, post specifics about how your computer is connected in your home, and details on your ISP connection. (If you don't know, ask your parent.)

Before you post, actually look at the forum. There's a thread titled, "READ HERE FIRST for Tech Support Issues!". If half of you read it, you wouldn't be posting.

Don't forget to search the forums to see if anyone has had the issue before and resolved it. You would be surprised at how many times I answer the same damn question over and over and over and over and over.... Kinda like the OP's post, I am constantly asking for more information. So much that I'll now copy this post and just keep re-using it.
    Take the time to look for your answer before you post like an idiot.

There are two kinds of people in this world...
    There are those who panic,
    And then there is us.
    ~ Sarah Jane Smith
  • sparxles
    sparxles Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    I'm on Windows 7. (32 bit, i believe)
    As for all the other information you're asking for, I'm confused as to what 'system specs' you're looking for (i do have speccy, but there's a lot of information that it shows ya)
    Please be more specific.
    i understand your frustration, but I am a new player and i just want a straight answer that i can't seem to find anywhere.
    Thanks for your help!
  • Allisandre - Sanctuary
    Allisandre - Sanctuary Posts: 1,452 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    >.< More specific is what speccy gives. Hardware details, OS specifics like windows version and what service pack you have installed. What video driver versions are installed along with possibly other hardware driver versions, security software, ect. you know, the things that I listed in that post right there.

Details specifically about your network, how you're connected, and a copy of your traceroute when you're having the problem is especially helpful. Pretty much everything I outlined in my post. There are numerous points of failure that are preventing you from connecting to PWI. 80% of them are on your computer, 5% of them are on your local network, and 13% of them are between you and the PWE IAP/servers.

The more information you give, the easier it is to figure out your problem. b:irritated I don't see why this concept is such a problem for you people to grasp.

From what you've given me, here's a quick list right off the top of my head of probable causes...
    1. You don't have the three .exe files for the client set to run as administrator.
    2. You don't have the game directory set as an exception in your security softwares.
    3. Your network adapter driver is out of date and needs to be refreshed.
    4. Your local area network settings are improperly configured.
    5. You have more than one firewall and don't realize it.
    6. Your firewall settings are too strict. (Very common with ZoneAlarm and Commodo.)
    7. Your router is configured improperly.
    8. you have a bad network cable.
    9. You're using a wireless network connection. (Which leads to another huge list.)
    10. You have a lot of traffic on your local network that is bogging your router/modem down.
    11. There's a fault in your router.
    12. There's a fault in your modem.
    13, You have a bad phone cord plugged into your modem.
    14. There's an issue with your house wiring.
    15. There's an issue with your outside wiring.
    16. A squirrel chewed on your phone line at the pole and it's raining. (I've had this happen personally.)
    17. A switch/router at the CO for your ISP is having an issue.
    18. One of the many hubs between you and PWI is having an issue.
    19. There is heavy sunspot activity. (has happened within the past two years)
    20. There's a regional router outage. (Has happened several times, most recently just a couple of weeks ago.)

That's just a few. The more details you give, the better I can narrow it down and tell you what the issue is.
    Take the time to look for your answer before you post like an idiot.

There are two kinds of people in this world...
    There are those who panic,
    And then there is us.
    ~ Sarah Jane Smith