Which wizard skills i MUST max ?

LadySam - Raging Tide
LadySam - Raging Tide Posts: 20 Arc User
edited December 2011 in Wizard
I need help . Which wizard skills i have to max and which i shouldn't? b:surrender
Post edited by LadySam - Raging Tide on

Comments

• thumbs
    thumbs Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    I vote this topic get stickied!
  • Fulcanelli - Raging Tide
    Fulcanelli - Raging Tide Posts: 385 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    at your level just worry about:

gush; pyrogram and stone rain (in that order) you must max this 3 as soon as you can.

use spare sp points into the shields:

glacial embrace, stone barrier and the firey one (in that order), the firey one can wait if you want to level up offensive skills first (mine is still level 5 or something and I don't even remember its name lol)

everything else is optional but:

get at least level 1 on every skill to unlock the next ones. And is very usefull to level up a bit (at least level 3-4) skills like: morning dew, distance shrink (level 1 is crappy QQ), divine pyro, will of the phoenix, sandstorm and glacial snare.

use this "guide" till mid 50s, from there is up to you b:chuckle

just my opinion (this is what I did on this wiz) b:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Arenaceous - Lost City
    Arenaceous - Lost City Posts: 632 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    You can't make many mistakes actually, there's no single wizard skill I would say is completely useless. Of course there are some skills you should level last like Crown Of Flames, Emberstorm, Frostblade or Pyroshell but most others you can level by personal preference. Just get the fast channeling basic spells first.
    "Of course you should fight fire with fire. You should fight everything with fire."

"Some have said there is no subtlety to destruction. You know what? They're dead."

- Jaya Ballard, Task Mage
  • Nalfien_ - Sanctuary
    Nalfien_ - Sanctuary Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    dont forget your masteries b:chuckle
  • DaKillanator - Raging Tide
    DaKillanator - Raging Tide Posts: 2,965 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    Disregard Fulc's post about shields.
    Glacial embrace restores so little mp that it's hardly worth using at all, except maybe at level 1. It only becomes more useful in later levels where a water buff is useful.
    Stone Barrier is the only good shield, and it should be leveled ASAP.
    Pyroshell sucks and is good enough at level 1.

As stated before pyro, gush, and stone rain are all good to keep leveled. I'd also recommend leveling divine pyro or sandstorm for a starter attack on mobs. Also try to keep your masteries leveled. I'd personally recommend leveling sandstorm and choosing the earth mastery, since sandstorm and stone rains will be your hardest hitting spells for quite a few levels anyways.

If you ever need help or advice ingame, feel free to pm/mail me since we're on the same server b:cute
  • HardToThink - Lost City
    HardToThink - Lost City Posts: 967 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    emberstorm
    Siggy from bellefleurs.
    [SIGPIC]http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/94/25yzm05jpg.png/[/SIGPIC]
    youtube.com/user/HardToYawn?blend=1&ob=video-mustangbase
  • LadySam - Raging Tide
    LadySam - Raging Tide Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    How about the 49 and 39 skills , i`m wondering about them ...
    About the 59 - i should max all , right ?
    b:question
  • Fulcanelli - Raging Tide
    Fulcanelli - Raging Tide Posts: 385 Arc User
    edited November 2011

First of all (because I'm not quite understanding what do you mean with the "maxing" thing):
    eventually you are gonna get enough spirit to max ALL your skills, your only problem now is that you don't have the spirit necesary to level up all your available skills so you need to set priorities.

Level 39 skills you should level (in order):

Will of the Phoenix because of the knock-back and because it hits fast and hard, but level it up till 3 or 4 and then forget about it for a while (some people says to keep it just in level 1 but for me that didn't worked very well)

Sandstorm because hits like a truck, again how much you can level it depends on how much sp you have. Level it up at least to 4 or it doens't gonna out damage stone rain.

Frostblade: just get level 1 for the glowing thingy and forget about it b:laugh

Level 49 (in order):

Glacial Snare it's the most important. Period.

Force of will: it's a pretty good skill but it's only usefull when you leveled it up a bit.

Emberstorm: just get level 1 to unlock BT

Aaaaaand the level 59s:

Get all of them and I don't know how can you keep it all maxed for your level because they are pretty expensive (sp and coins). b:chuckle

what I'm gonna do: keep them level 1 for a while till I drive SS, GS, WoP and FoW to a decent level.

Again, just my opinion. b:victory

or you can check this site and make your own priorities:

http://www.ecatomb.net/skillpwi.php
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • HexOmega - Dreamweaver
    HexOmega - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,342 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    i did it like pokemon

gotta catch em all!

seriously, its more like what skills you dont need
    like no need for pyroshell+emberstorm
    and you dont have enough spirit to learn all 59 skills at 60~80
    stick with essential sutra and blade tempest there

In the end, you max out every skill
    the only thing to worry is not having essential skills for your gameplay style up on your way to the higher lvls due to lack of spirit

skills you should have maxed at all times are
    gush, pyro, stone rain (obviously)
    stone barrier, distance shrink (for your own safety)
    glacial snare (heavy hitter +slow debuff)
    i like potato
    edited November 2011

For the level 39 skills:
    Get level 1 will of phoenix, then forget about it for a couple levels. It's decent damage at level 1, but most importantly it knocks back mobs. The knockback length doesn't increase as you level it, so it's fine at 1. Of course leveling it later on is important because it's a pretty good skill, but at the low levels the knockback is it's main purpose.

Keep frostblade at 1. It's most useful at those levels for gaining chi, so keep the level (and mp cost) low.

Sandstorm is a good skill to level if it suits you. It's a nice mini-nuke to start with on mobs. You can either level this or divine pyro in the lower levels, or just save up your spirit and get glacial shards if you can afford it and like the slow effect it gives.

For the level 49 skills:
    Emberstorm blows. Get level 1 and forget it. Unless you're a super pro vit build wizard like HardToThink, who non-crits 20k on r9s with his spark combo b:cute

Glacial Snare is a matter of opinion. If the high coin/spirit cost doesn't bother you, then go for it. I personally left it alone for quite a while.

Force of Will is kind of an all or nothing skill. You should definitely get level 1, because it's fairly useful on mobs to make them run from you, but it's really not that effective until you can get it to level 10. So I'd say get level 1, wait till you're 80+, then level it from 1 to 10 all at once.

For the level 59 skills:
    For a long time, you won't have the spirit to support leveling all 3. You should pick one, and level that.
    Now black ice dragon strike may look awesome, but I wouldn't recommend leveling it first. For PvP it's great, but in lower level PvE it's not very useful compared to the other ultimates.
    Some will say to level blade tempest, for a good reason. It deals excellent damage, and it does physical damage which is very useful on magic resistant mobs.
    I personally leveled Mountain Sieze first, and Blade Tempest with my spare spirit. I did this because I thought the stun effect from mountain sieze was very useful. It allows you to AoE stun and deal pretty good damage which I thought would make me more useful for squads.

Also, I didn't mention it before but you should keep distance shrink leveled. It's one of our best skills.
  • X_Rays - Sanctuary
    X_Rays - Sanctuary Posts: 198 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    If you lack money/spirit then:

Skills to max ASAP:

gush, pyrogram, stone rain, hailstorm, will of phoenix, stone barrier, glacial embrace, glacial snare

Optional Skills:

Sandstorm, Divine Pyrogram, Ultimates, Force of Will, Dragon's Breath

When you have ample money/spirit, max Force of Will first then the rest.
    edited November 2011
    If you lack money/spirit then:

Skills to max ASAP:

gush, pyrogram, stone rain, hailstorm, will of phoenix, stone barrier, glacial embrace, glacial snare

No. Just no. You don't even need level 1 of hailstorm, and it's not that useful of a skill unless you're doing pvp. The damage is negligible and the paralyze effect is unreliable.
    Glacial embrace adds so little mp it doesn't even make a difference. For level 10 you have to be level 5x, and by that level most wizards have a few thousand mp and an extra 10mp a second really doesn't make a difference.
    Will of Phoenix is a good skill to max, but not asap, and especially not if you lack money and spirit. You want level 1 for the pushback, anything after that is for damage.
    Glacial snare is like will of phoenix. Definitely a good skill to level, but not asap. And it's very expensive in coin, so if the player lacks coin then I would recommend d pyro or sandstorm way before I'd recommend glacial snare.
  • Magicsaber - Dreamweaver
    Magicsaber - Dreamweaver Posts: 727 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    No. Just no. You don't even need level 1 of hailstorm, and it's not that useful of a skill unless you're doing pvp. The damage is negligible and the paralyze effect is unreliable.
    It is AoE skill that not need chi.

And you can level it as soon as you will need it.

Some Wizards think, that Gush and Pyrogram (in average) are only skills, that necessary for Wizard.

Maxed Hailstorm do same damage as maxed Gush, but for all mobs at AoE range.

Hailstorm and Will of Phoenix are skills that able to kill group of mobs without other AoE skills.
    Glacial embrace adds so little mp it doesn't even make a difference. For level 10 you have to be level 5x, and by that level most wizards have a few thousand mp and an extra 10mp a second really doesn't make a difference.
    At level 10 of this skill you can restore 1000 MP during 100 seconds just from this skill.

And you forget that this is Water shield.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2011
    It is AoE skill that not need chi.

And you can level it as soon as you will need it.

Exactly. It's a good skill that should definitely be maxed when you have spare spirit. But it does not fall under the category of "must have skill, keep at max level."

At level 10 of this skill you can restore 1000 MP during 100 seconds just from this skill.

And you forget that this is Water shield.

I'm fully aware it's a water shield, I stated so in an earlier post. There's simply not many water mobs at the levels the OP is. Plus water attacks are magic damage, and as wizards our magic defenses are already excellent.

Level 10 glacial embrace is over 200k coin. If the OP thinks they'll be using glacial embrace instead of stone barrier that often, then they're free to make the investment.

And once again, it's a worthwhile skill. Just not one that should be leveled asap imo.
  • BLOODMYSTIC - Archosaur
    BLOODMYSTIC - Archosaur Posts: 1,842 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    Hey guys?

2009 called.

They want their forum thread back.

With hyperexp stones literally being given away now for FREE, and with $10 at certain periods of time netting you as much as 15m in coin? There isn't much cause for most people to choose which skills to level - and at very early levels, there are more than enough threads, guides, etc. to give them a sufficiently workable answer.
    "And as for bragging, I don't need to brag. I am famous, yo. My accomplishments are legendary. I am BLOODMYSTIC, speaker of truth, bane of the Barbarians of Impulse, slayer of the **** of Narla, liberator of all the free peoples of the Archosaur server, former master propagandist for our leader in freedom, Proski, and Archtroll of the PWI Forums. And now? Amiable pve wizard, beloved by all, aka BLUEMYSTIC. Pleased to make your acquaintance."
    edited November 2011
    Hey guys?

2009 called.

They want their forum thread back.

With hyperexp stones literally being given away now for FREE, and with $10 at certain periods of time netting you as much as 15m in coin? There isn't much cause for most people to choose which skills to level - and at very early levels, there are more than enough threads, guides, etc. to give them a sufficiently workable answer.

You're taking for granted that everybody else has money to throw at a game. Some people don't have spare cash, others don't have payment methods because of their country, and some just don't care to waste money on a game despite their amount of disposable income.
  • Ruli - Heavens Tear
    Ruli - Heavens Tear Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    Right now while its x2 i'd try get a jump start on skills by doing the following.
    Wont hurt you too much if your skills are close too been at level anyway.
    But whats wrong with a few little xp dumps onto a genie so you can farm abit of spirit.

I know im going to get torn apart for this. But its very helpful in the end because all your piers are running around with half levelled skills at for example 65th level, an they struggling too survive. You on the other hand took the time too level your skills to a point the game expects you to already have them. So end result is, your more deadly than them. Youll survive longer. Remember a wizard is only as powerful as his or her skills and the weapon they wield.
    Its not like you can just whip out an axe an start beating a mobbie to death. For a caster of any class skills are all you have. After 3 years, 2 of which have been in the realms of FF spam and power levelling i still dont understand why people want too rush the game.

BTW im not speaking out of turn here i do have a 101 sage wiz which is 3 years old. I also remember how hard it was in the 80's with her when her skills sucked because i hadnt taken the time or had the coin to level up skills. XP dumping can help with it. It just takes patience. Upside is when you get to a point your skills are maxed, the next time you level your skills wont need so much attension an youll quickly reach a point where, providing you have the coin and spirit you can just go learn them all in one go.

It does work, Ruli an his wife are walking proof it does. We both spent a good deal of time doing the same an we more than vindicated ourselves in the 80's.

So to fully answer your question. I'd try an max them all you need them. Even Emberstorm which most people say totally sucks. You just have too find a situatiuon it would be useful.
  • MerlinBG - Lothranis
    MerlinBG - Lothranis Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    I need help . Which wizard skills i have to max and which i shouldn't? b:surrender

I'll tell you which ones I maxed and which I didn't touch - according to my personal needs and concepts about the Wizard class. Of course that doesn't mean you should do the same as me.

Skills I have at lv 10 at the moment:
    Divine Program, Stone Rain, Pyrogram, Gush, Will of Phoenix, Dragon Breath, Crown of Flame, Pitfall, Stone Barrier, Pyroshell, Morning Dew, Wellspring Quaff, Fire and Earth masteries (still working on maxing Water Mastery and Mountain Seize).
    Skills I didn't "touch" (left at lv 1):
    Glacial Embrace, Hailstorm, Frostblade, Distance Shrink, Sandstorm, Force of Will, Glacial Snare.
  • arjensmit
    arjensmit Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    I see many people say stone barrier is one of the skills to be maxed. But physical defence is almost none, almost none + x% is still almost none. Is it really that worthy ?

I am a lowly noob lvl 27 wizzard and i have my lvl 4 stone barrier, but i often actually forget to cast it because it doesn't seem so important. Either i get it right and i kill enemies before they hit me, or hit me only once, or i do something horribly stupid and i die horribly regardless.
    edited December 2011
    at the lower levels stone barrier doesn't change as much. You're right that increasing nearly nothing by x% doesn't make much of a difference, but by about level 50 I'd say you'll really start to notice the difference.
This discussion has been closed.