Open Proxies

Options
Crazy__erik - Heavens Tear
Crazy__erik - Heavens Tear Posts: 61 Arc User
edited November 2011 in Support Desk
Been googling for about 2 hours trying to find info or a solution for my friend that can't play PWI since she changed Internet Service Providers. Because of moderators with super itchy trigger fingers, all I can find is multiple complaints and requests for help on the same subject, only for thread to be shut down because they mentioned a no-no.

I have not mentioned anything that can be construed as talking about taboo subjects so hopefully I can just get an answer without this being shut down too.

Please can anyone tell me so I can help her, how to shut down her "open proxy" so she can log in. Feel free to speak in layman's terms and pretend I have an Idiot;'s guide to computing beside me. We have both been in PWI for years and just want to play and SPEND more money.
Thank you in advance for any help on this networking problem
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by Crazy__erik - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• SylenThunder - Twilight Temple
    edited November 2011
    Options
    1. Moderators are just volunteers that work on the forums.

2. The twitchy trigger finger is probably an automated task that is run on the servers based on regional IP addresses.

3. She can either submit a ticket explaining the issue to get it resolved, or talk to her ISP about getting an IP address that's actually in her region, rather than being run through a proxy.
    Fake internet acceleration does this. Many ISP's are starting to offer it as a service. You can ask them to not apply it to your account so that your internet traffic doesn't run through their pre-loading servers.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • krittycat
    krittycat Posts: 4,187 Community Moderator
    edited November 2011
    Options
    1. Moderators are just volunteers that work on the forums.

2. The twitchy trigger finger is probably an automated task that is run on the servers based on regional IP addresses.

3. She can either submit a ticket explaining the issue to get it resolved, or talk to her ISP about getting an IP address that's actually in her region, rather than being run through a proxy.
    Fake internet acceleration does this. Many ISP's are starting to offer it as a service. You can ask them to not apply it to your account so that your internet traffic doesn't run through their pre-loading servers.

I think he's referring to itchy trigger fingers in dealing with the threads about it. However, we generally don't remove topics on bans, we just close them. That means that your search didn't turn up much because not many people come here to ask about it.b:surrender
  • Crazy__erik - Heavens Tear
    Crazy__erik - Heavens Tear Posts: 61 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    Options
    I'll pass along the 4-11. Of Course she submitted tickets, she's an old-timer like me, it just doesn't seem to help. They tell her to close the proxy w/o explaining exactly how.

Yes Kritty it was...I was frustrated trying to find an answer when every Question about it turned into a closed thread before an answer was made.

And yes, I have been a Mod, I know they volunteer, I appreciate it....but I never instantly closed a thread on a lingering question because a taboo word was used. Just frustrated is all....Thanks
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • krittycat
    krittycat Posts: 4,187 Community Moderator
    edited November 2011
    Options
    I'll pass along the 4-11. Of Course she submitted tickets, she's an old-timer like me, it just doesn't seem to help. They tell her to close the proxy w/o explaining exactly how.

Yes Kritty it was...I was frustrated trying to find an answer when every Question about it turned into a closed thread before an answer was made.

And yes, I have been a Mod, I know they volunteer, I appreciate it....but I never instantly closed a thread on a lingering question because a taboo word was used. Just frustrated is all....Thanks

As Sylen said, you may want to check with her ISP to make sure they haven't re-routed her through a banned region to speed up her internet. If they have, get that changed, and all should be well.
  • Allisandre - Sanctuary
    Allisandre - Sanctuary Posts: 1,452 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    Options
    It's one of the reasons I won't switch to Comcast cable internet where I live. They do that ****.
    Take the time to look for your answer before you post like an idiot.

There are two kinds of people in this world...
    There are those who panic,
    And then there is us.
    ~ Sarah Jane Smith