Harpy Wraith

Options
Ikarium - Dreamweaver
Ikarium - Dreamweaver Posts: 631 Arc User
edited November 2011 in General Discussion
The killing of Harpy Wraith does not count for the Demon quest that requires its death. I always knew that, but never why.
In another topic it was mentioned it was a non-existant version of Harpy Wraith that was required. Which prompted me to go to the database and look it up.

Sure enough, there's 2 identical Harpy Wraith mobs. The one that does not exist seems to be identical to the one that does, but has an additional drop table.

Harpy Wraith

Unimplemented Harpy Wraith

So I realize its not actually in the game, and probably never will be and that this is probably old news to some (like I said I always knew it didn't count, but an unimplemented Harpy is news to me). What I am curious about however, is the two of them. Presumably they did both exist in an older version of PW. So does anyone know? Was there at one time 2 Harpy Wraiths floating around the world map? Or was the non-existant one in an instance?

No, its not the start of a campaign to get it implemented :P Just curiousity as to why it never was implemented.
Post edited by Ikarium - Dreamweaver on

Comments

• Olbaze - Sanctuary
    Olbaze - Sanctuary Posts: 4,242 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    Options
    ... And what makes you think anyone here would know?

Also, the assumption that it was implemented at some point in the game isn't exactly valid, as the PWDB has a lot of items that were never implemented in any proper version of the game. Obviously, anything can happen on a private server.
    I am Olba. Not Ol, not Baze nor Blaze. And even less would I go by Olblaze. Please, take a second to read a person's username.
    If you see b:cute be sure to take a second, calm look at anything I said.
  • Ikarium - Dreamweaver
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Because there are players who have played on older versions of PW, PW-CN, and migrated here and some are well versed in PW's history. So somene may know what/where the other Harpy was back then.

And yeah, I am assuming it was. Simply because its part of a quest chain, a chain that has been part of PWI since day1 as far as I know. That's why I was asking, if anyone knows if it was or not on some older version.
  • Olbaze - Sanctuary
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Because there are players who have played on older versions of PW, PW-CN, and migrated here and some are well versed in PW's history. So somene may know what/where the other Harpy was back then.

But that has the premise that the unimplemented Harpy Wraith was ever in the game. Not to mention that if it was, you get a secondary premise of the developers telling the players why it was taken out.

And that's two pretty preposterous premises you got there.
    I am Olba. Not Ol, not Baze nor Blaze. And even less would I go by Olblaze. Please, take a second to read a person's username.
  • Ikarium - Dreamweaver
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Can't even ask a simple question on this forum.

I do not know if it was. I am asking a simple question because I was curious if anyone knew.
    fb109's we taken out. Is it a big mystery as to why? No. level cap lowered and maps recycled into other instances. You don't need a developer to tell you that. There's various other things not implemented that we know existed in previous versions, and other stuff that has never been.
  • GaurdianMira - Archosaur
    GaurdianMira - Archosaur Posts: 104 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    Options
    ... And what makes you think anyone here would know?

Also, the assumption that it was implemented at some point in the game isn't exactly valid, as the PWDB has a lot of items that were never implemented in any proper version of the game. Obviously, anything can happen on a private server.

Fail, take your rage elsewhere OP asked a simple question which only requires a simple answer such as=> no the second harpy has never been implemented to my knowledge.

BTW same for me but I'm just a rookyb:bye
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Sarrafeline - Sanctuary
    Sarrafeline - Sanctuary Posts: 4,661 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Can't even ask a simple question on this forum.

I do not know if it was. I am asking a simple question because I was curious if anyone knew.
    fb109's we taken out. Is it a big mystery as to why? No. level cap lowered and maps recycled into other instances. You don't need a developer to tell you that. There's various other things not implemented that we know existed in previous versions, and other stuff that has never been.

Simple questions are troll food here.

Wait...

EVERYTHING is troll food here. b:cute
    101 Sage Sin*/Archer
    100 Demon BM*/Barb
    96 Demon Cleric/Sage Seeker
    95 Demon Wiz/
    94 Sage Veno
    85 Psy/80 Mystic
    And a handful of other alts, all 79 and under.
    *Pre RB level
  • Olbaze - Sanctuary
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Fail, take your rage elsewhere OP asked a simple question which only requires a simple answer such as=> no the second harpy has never been implemented to my knowledge.

BTW same for me but I'm just a rookyb:bye

Um... I'm not raging.

All I see is a question that is essentially pointless. If the Harpy Wraith never existed, then that's that, end of line. If it did, then it was taken out for some reason. The actual reason doesn't even matter, as it was still taken out, end of line again.

So essentially the topic is asking a question that does not contribute to anything but idle curiousity. Might as well go check out paint drying, that'll be just about as useful.

Wait, was it because I used the word "preposterous"?

b:cute
  • Ikarium - Dreamweaver
    edited October 2011
    Options
    So essentially the topic is asking a question that does not contribute to anything but idle curiousity. Might as well go check out paint drying, that'll be just about as useful.
    Did I not state that more than once? I was just curious? Clearly its more interesting than paint drying as you keep replying to it :P
    I'm sorry for starting a topic thats not APS/SP/Sin/Cashshop QQ, and wondering about if anyone knew the history of this quest/mob.
  • Celestyna - Heavens Tear
    Celestyna - Heavens Tear Posts: 629 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Did I not state that more than once? I was just curious? Clearly its more interesting than paint drying as you keep replying to it :P
    I'm sorry for starting a topic thats not APS/SP/Sin/Cashshop QQ, and wondering about if anyone knew the history of this quest/mob.

Ignore the trolls, as hard as that is here.
    I for one am refreshed to see a "normal" thread here for once. I unfortunatly can not answer your question though
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • slywon
    slywon Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    Options
    OP - Good question and IDK. However, I wanted to reassure you that there are plenty of reasonable people that read questions like this and when they don't know the answer, they simply don't respond.

Unfortunately you've asked a question that has offended our question police. The best course here is to remain still and wait until someone else asks a question in another post.
  • Aranarwa - Heavens Tear
    Aranarwa - Heavens Tear Posts: 83 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    Options
    No, its not the start of a campaign to get it implemented :P Just curiousity as to why it never was implemented.

As a player of one of the older versions of PW (played PW-MY from closed-beta till early 2009), I think I can safely say: the quest-Harpy has never been implemented in the game.

As to why it never was implemented, I do not know.....

One would need to be able to look into the minds of all the devs who ever worked on this game, to find the answer. b:surrender
    Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder b:chuckle
  • viktorbg
    viktorbg Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    Options
    @Aranarwa, sorry but you're wrong. Killed Harpy few times on Oracle server (pw-my) and it worked (back then we needed like 4-5 parties to kill that thing....)
  • Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973
    Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973 Posts: 7,881 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    Options
    It was probably some dev that didn't know what he was doing. The quest version was actually created first since the one in the world has a higher ID number. Maybe when it came time to populate the world with all the mobs, a timid dev was unsure how to implement the roaming behavior so he created a copy of Harpy to test things out and didn't realize harpy was actually a quest boss.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Refining Simulator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/refiningsimulator.html (don't use IE)
    Genie Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/geniecalculator.html - (don't use IE)
    Socket Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/socketcalculator.html
  • sangodoc
    sangodoc Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Um... I'm not raging.

All I see is a question that is essentially pointless. If the Harpy Wraith never existed, then that's that, end of line. If it did, then it was taken out for some reason. The actual reason doesn't even matter, as it was still taken out, end of line again.

Wow. I hope you never have kids.

Child: "Daddy, why is the sky blue?"

Olbaze: "I'm sorry child, your question is essentially pointless. If the sky was not blue, then it would simply be some other color. However it is blue, so knowing why doesn't matter because it will still be blue. Now stop bothering me with your inane questions and get back to watching paint dry or something equally useful."

Child: b:cry

You know, some people don't see curiosity as a bad thing.

...Anyways, it should be noted that when GMs spawned Harpy Wraith for the Perfect World International Championship (PWIC) here on PWI, they actually spawned the version of Harpy Wraith needed for the quest, so a few people here have actually completed that quest.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Visit the PWI wiki for the useful information. Stay at the PWI wiki for the pie. ;-)
  • Sir_Puma - Raging Tide
    Sir_Puma - Raging Tide Posts: 780 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Sangodoc wrote: »

...Anyways, it should be noted that when GMs spawned Harpy Wraith for the Perfect World International Championship (PWIC) here on PWI, they actually spawned the version of Harpy Wraith needed for the quest, so a few people here have actually completed that quest.

Now that's too funny, thanks for making me laugh

b:chuckle
    Proud supporter of the new expansion. Sure it has it's share of bugs, like any games. But for a pure farmer/grinder, that's a whole lot of new mobs to go beat up b:chuckle
  • Chadric - Heavens Tear
    Chadric - Heavens Tear Posts: 489 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    Options
    ^ oh so go to a gm event that never happens anymore u get a quest done..... and outta your log.. little unfair don't ya think? lol

Here's a wild idea..... how bout asking the devs to finish the game and put it in? ROFL
  • _blood_rain - Sanctuary
    _blood_rain - Sanctuary Posts: 2,532 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    Options

Olbaze: "I'm sorry child, your question is essentially pointless. If the sky was not blue, then it would simply be some other color. However it is blue, so knowing why doesn't matter because it will still be blue. Now stop bothering me with your inane questions and get back to watching paint dry or something equally useful."

Child: b:cry

That was beautiful
  • Traz - Dreamweaver
    Traz - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Maybe it's a boss in the new quest chains?
    BladedZero - Sanctuary
    "Also I don't think actually playing through the game helps your skill either."

-And we wonder why this game has gone to hell b:cute
  • Sarrafeline - Sanctuary
    Sarrafeline - Sanctuary Posts: 4,661 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    Options

Olbaze: "I'm sorry child, your question is essentially pointless. If the sky was not blue, then it would simply be some other color. However it is blue, so knowing why doesn't matter because it will still be blue. Now stop bothering me with your inane questions and get back to eating lead-based paint chips, they should taste like candy."

Child: b:dirty

You know, some people don't see curiosity as a bad thing.

Uhhhh... Fixed.
    101 Sage Sin*/Archer
    100 Demon BM*/Barb
    96 Demon Cleric/Sage Seeker
    95 Demon Wiz/
    94 Sage Veno
    85 Psy/80 Mystic
    And a handful of other alts, all 79 and under.
    *Pre RB level