Uk Zen now in Euros not USD

Trapdoor - Sanctuary
Trapdoor - Sanctuary Posts: 4 Arc User
edited June 2014 in Cash Shop Huddle
Anyone know why the change has occured? I have always bought zen in USD which has been good because of the favourable GBP / USD exchange rate.

But lo and behold, now I can only purchase in euros, which would make any purchase nearly 30% more expensive.

Although I will continue playing PWI, as I have 3yrs of time invested and have loads of good friends here, I think my zen buying days are over.

An explanation would be most appreciated though, because the last time I looked the UK still had its own currency whis is most definately not the euro.
Post edited by Trapdoor - Sanctuary on

Comments

• HexOmega - Dreamweaver
    HexOmega - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,342 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    two explenations: greed and they probably are not aware of the fact that europe isnt 100% euro
    i like potato
  • ZoracGallant - Raging Tide
    ZoracGallant - Raging Tide Posts: 1,624 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    two explenations: greed and they probably are not aware of the fact that europe isnt 100% euro

+1 b:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Want to solve alot of my problems? On your computer Click - Start - now click - Run - now type - cmd - now type - format c: - If you are using Windows Vista or 7 please be sure you run as administrator.
  • dragonatx
    dragonatx Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    i think this is my first post in nearly 3 years of playing PWI

im OPs opinion that it is not ok to suddenly charge 10 bucks more than 1 week ago from us EU players!
    i bought Zen since more than 2 years but i think thats over now!
  • X_trigger_X - Heavens Tear
    X_trigger_X - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,301 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    Isn't the Euro like, unstable and at risk because of the global financial crisis?

Call me greedy or spoiled whatever, but if I can't charge gold at the prices I've been charging them at for 3 years, I won't charge b:bye
  • shnuggles
    shnuggles Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    There was a law passed by Europe earlier this year that placed regulations for all businesses that have operations within the European Union that has forced this change. Companies were given a certain amount of time to comply to these new regulations and that time is now. Prior to the change, Perfect World Entertainment was paying the VAT taxes for all of our European players and when this law was passed, we explained to the European officials that our company was paying this additional fee for our users so that they can continue to pay in United States Dollars and we were informed that we were no longer allowed to do so. That information came straight from the people in charge of these new regulations for Europe. Perfect World Entertainment was then forced to abide by these new regulations and we were forced to make the change you now see. If you are playing from the Europe, you are no longer allowed to pay in United States Dollars which is why you no longer see that option. This has absolutely nothing to do with greed or wanting more money or any other negative connotation that has been thrown out there in regards to the change. We as a company are simply complying to the new laws put in place in order for our company to continue operations in you local region. Had we not complied to these new regulations, we would have to just pull out of operations in those areas and no longer provide service to those regions.
    -Your friendly neighborhood Shnuggs-
    [PWE Billing]
    Perfect World Entertainment Customer Support System

"Any man worth his salt will stick up for what he believes right, but it takes a slightly better man to acknowledge instantly and without reservation that he is in error."
    -Andrew Jackson

Shnuggles [Shh-nugg-ulls]
    -proper noun
    1. He who turns negativity into giddiness.
    2. Has an IRL cat that plays fetch b:victory
  • dragonatx
    dragonatx Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    well i dont think the problem is paying/buying the zen in euros...

the problem is that u now charge about 8 Euros per 5000 zen more than before
    b:shutup
  • Nevaldame - Raging Tide
    Nevaldame - Raging Tide Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    Lovely, i been charging in dollars for ages and now this new law **** makes it so we have to charge in euros...i cant afford that, so i say stick it, i give up, PWI has slowly been going down the pan for a while now, this is the cherry on the cake. I give up, good riddance.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

- Everything is determined by luck, timing
    and the choices you make. Nothing
    is determined by skill. -

- There is nothing wrong with me having a female toon....i mean lets be honest....would you rather stare at a male toons backside all day? -
  • Nareeah - Lost City
    Nareeah - Lost City Posts: 81 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    that would be true if people who are not in EU could still buy in $
    but they can't
    so it's a lie b:cute
  • simon265
    simon265 Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    If im not allowed to purchase gold in US$ then why cant i pay in my own currency ??? i dont actually use Euro i used GBP
  • shnuggles
    edited October 2011
    Please note again what I have said in regards to the VAT fees that were being paid by Perfect World Entertainment prior to this change. Europe will not allow our company to pay that fee as well so many of you will see a "more expensive" amount for purchasing. Again, we are following regulations so anyone whose country belongs to Europe, regardless of what currency is actually used, will no longer be allowed to pay in United States Dollars.

UPDATE: ALL European countries that pay VAT fees, including Norway, and regardless of being in the European Union, now fall into this new regulation. Essentially, this covers pretty much all European countries and Perfect World Entertainment is no longer allowed to pay those VAT fees for you.
    [PWE Billing]

"Any man worth his salt will stick up for what he believes right, but it takes a slightly better man to acknowledge instantly and without reservation that he is in error."
    -Andrew Jackson

-proper noun
  • CupCakes__x - Archosaur
    CupCakes__x - Archosaur Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    awww i can't buy zen anymore it's expensive now b:sad but i understand it's not pw's fault, stupit EU regulation b:angry
  • Wadzio - Lost City
    Wadzio - Lost City Posts: 308 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    Shnuggles wrote: »
    Please note again what I have said in regards to the VAT fees that were being paid by Perfect World Entertainment prior to this change. Europe will not allow our company to pay that fee as well so many of you will see a "more expensive" amount for purchasing. Again, we are following regulations so anyone whose country belongs to Europe, regardless of what currency is actually used, will no longer be allowed to pay in United States Dollars.

UPDATE: ALL European countries that pay VAT fees, including Norway, and regardless of being in the European Union, now fall into this new regulation. Essentially, this covers pretty much all European countries and Perfect World Entertainment is no longer allowed to pay those VAT fees for you.

Ok, I totally understand Your explanations, just 1 thing. Why dont You compare the currencies? I mean 1 EURO is more than 1 USD, right? So why dont You change in ur system the value of charges?

Lets say 50 USD = 5300 zen and 50 EURO = 6500 zen? VAT in Europe depending on the product is between 7% and 23%. PWE is the one setting the prices and as long as I understand that You are willing to follow the international law and You dont want to pay the VAT fee, then why You are not only making the custommers to pay the VAT, but You are also making the profit out of it? If You calc and compare the price of gold for European players is higher and it has nothing to do with law, but the way You exchange the currencies.

Thank You.
    Because size really MATTERS!!!
  • shnuggles
    edited October 2011
    Ok, I totally understand Your explanations, just 1 thing. Why dont You compare the currencies? I mean 1 EURO is more than 1 USD, right? So why dont You change in ur system the value of charges?

Lets say 50 USD = 5300 zen and 50 EURO = 6500 zen? VAT in Europe depending on the product is between 7% and 23%. PWE is the one setting the prices and as long as I understand that You are willing to follow the international law and You dont want to pay the VAT fee, then why You are not only making the custommers to pay the VAT, but You are also making the profit out of it? If You calc and compare the price of gold for European players is higher and it has nothing to do with law, but the way You exchange the currencies.

Thank You.

If you can do me a huge favor and write an email to our support staff with your above comments, I can forward that information to the proper people for evaluation. I cannot guarantee a change but what I can do for you is give you my personal guarantee that I will physically in-person take your email, print it out, and bring it forward to those that make these decisions. Again, we are aware that changes may need to be made and currently the only change is removing Perfect World Entertainment from paying the VAT fees for all European players.

Thank you very much for your comments here.
    [PWE Billing]

-Andrew Jackson

-proper noun
  • TheWhiteDeth - Lost City
    TheWhiteDeth - Lost City Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    Question, why the hell should I use my GBP to pay in Euro's, for an American service?. I say either equalise the cost so we are paying the USD equivalent, or give me an option to pay in my own currency. Also, how the hell is it considered importing when the commodity i'm buying resides on a server in western America?.

This is clearly both an attempt by those idiots in Brussels to make the Euro look like its trading better, and PWE to make more money as a result of having lost a good portion of their players.

Have you been to Etherblade on Lost City ?, place is like a ghost town ! b:bye
  • SilentVoice - Harshlands
    SilentVoice - Harshlands Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    At least tell me why the hell I have to pay with euros now when I live in Russia? Russia is not in Euro Union ******mit! I know that for now russian people are restricted to create any accounts on PWI, but I am an old player and joined at the time, when there was no such rules like "if you live in X country you can't use our service", so I play on PWI legally. And I know that Russia physically located in Europe, but is it not joined Euro union yet (and I guess it will never). So tell me, why?
  • SilentVoice - Harshlands
    SilentVoice - Harshlands Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    And just remember one thing - physically you are giving to us NOTHING in exchange for real money that can be spend on something real, like you all guys do. Noone will be complaining about the euro players that will be getting the SAME amount of zen for the SAME amount of real moneys. Just, for example, i refuse to charge any zen untill it will be changed back to USD at least. Think about it, you will get much more REAL money if you will be selling your VIRTUAL money at the same cost for EVERYONE cause you gonna get MORE custmores.
  • _beto_ - Raging Tide
    _beto_ - Raging Tide Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited October 2011

I understand but please note that, Some EU country as Italy have 20% VAT, Germany 18% or similar...
    But, i live in Switzerland, my currency is Swiss Franchs, not Euro.
    And our VAT is 7.6%

SO, same problem as i have, ppl from United Kindom have too.
    At least make the Exchange Rates based on daily/weekly REAL prices.
    200 USD are 150 EUROS, not 180.
    im ok to pay my VAT, but in my country, as said is 7.6%.
    Suggestion, transfer your bussiness center to Switzerland.
    We don't have Euro Laws and we have good banks :)
  • greyzon
    greyzon Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    well, this sux - i bought a paysafecard today for getting some rep, and now those 25 euros wont even get me 3000 zen. would have been nice if u guys had told us e a r l i e r u were going to change this. b:angry
    btw - 25 euros are more than 33 dollars (todays rate) !!!
    edited October 2011
    As above, would have been nice to be informed PERIOD. Still, can't expect too much from the fools that run this game, they clearly haven't even got basic maths skills.

Price hike by 20% right before a rep sale ?, I smell greedy idiots.

This game will be dead in under a year.b:bye
  • Vasilisk - Harshlands
    Vasilisk - Harshlands Posts: 208 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    Q: Russia is not part of EU
    A: these changes had to be made in order to comply with recently changed laws within the European Union/for any countries currently paying VAT, regardless of their membership status in the European Union
    b:beatup
  • Andium - Sanctuary
    Andium - Sanctuary Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    Question, why the hell should I use my GBP to pay in Euro's, for an American service?. I say either equalise the cost so we are paying the USD equivalent, or give me an option to pay in my own currency. Also, how the hell is it considered importing when the commodity i'm buying resides on a server in western America?.

This is clearly both an attempt by those idiots in Brussels to make the Euro look like its trading better, and PWE to make more money as a result of having lost a good portion of their players.

Have you been to Etherblade on Lost City ?, place is like a ghost town ! b:bye

PWE don't make more money though, they won't get the whole amount you charge, as (being in the UK) 20% of it will go straight to the government as VAT. that's essentially what this is about.

(but yes brussels are idiots!)
  • SoulPlay - Heavens Tear
    SoulPlay - Heavens Tear Posts: 194 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/vat/forms-rat...s-services.htm

Rates of VAT on different goods and services
    If you're registered for VAT and you make VAT taxable supplies you'll have to charge VAT on them. Normally you charge VAT at the standard rate, unless the goods or services you are selling, and the circumstances in which you're selling them, mean you are allowed to charge a different rate.

There are different rates of VAT, depending on the type of goods or services your business provides. At the moment there are three different rates. They are:
    standard rate - 20 per cent
    reduced rate - 5 per cent
    zero rate - 0 per cent

There are also some goods and services that are:
    exempt - so no VAT is charged on them

outside the scope of the UK VAT system altogether

This guide lists certain goods and services that are reduced-rated, zero-rated, exempt or outside the scope of VAT. It's not a complete list and there may be conditions that must be met before a reduced rate can apply or before it can be accepted as exempt or outside the scope of VAT.

WORTH A READ
  • Phaedrae - Harshlands
    Phaedrae - Harshlands Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    I dont really care about the VAT. All i see is that ZENS (already expensive in USD) are now overpriced. So it was my first and last purchase of ZENS in euros :)

Time to move to another game!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31HaTbWONmQ

Lando: Me
    Vader: PWI
  • Kasira - Harshlands
    Kasira - Harshlands Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    Why should we in the UK have to pay extra to support a currency we don't even use? Makes me sick.

Seriously PWI, we pay cash for virtual stuff that costs you 0 to produce. Surely it wouldn't hurt you to absorb the cost. Even a reduced rate from European customers has to be better than the big fat nothing you're going to recieve when Europeans stop buying gold.
    edited October 2011
    ↑ Both posts above, brilliant xD
  • crazyhorse
    crazyhorse Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    so i,m done buying zen. we pay like 8 euros more for same amount of zen means i,m getting screwed.
    have fun with getting less paying customers and a dieing game cause NO SUPPORT, raising prices for euro players and getting !#$$@# replies on tickets that are send in.
  • _Grandpa - Raging Tide
    _Grandpa - Raging Tide Posts: 68 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    Oooo... you all don't get it. Buy gold via the auctioneer.. much cheaper. lol.

Yes, in Euro's is much more expensive ( + - 60 dollars for 50 dollars in Zen). So what? We don't need it unless we want to have a mount, flyer, clothes, the veno-herc or the fabulous R9. It was maybe better if PW had choosen for dollars on USA servers (50 dollars in Zen) and Euro's for the German/French servers in Amsterdam (60 dollars for 50 in Zen). I think the Netherlands is much more expensive b:chuckle
  • _Grandpa - Raging Tide
    _Grandpa - Raging Tide Posts: 68 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    Hi guys, me again.

Today I had some time to check the ZEN thingy. For all the European dudes out there: it is still possible to buy ZEN at the normal price just by changing your IP adress. Tested it with a Dutch and American IP. You have to use VISA or whatever to pay for your ZEN, local tools like iDeal cannot be choosen via the site if you change your IP for one in another country. Hope my post will help you greedy Europeans... lol...

b:bye

See you all in the game
  • Gorwulf - Sanctuary
    Gorwulf - Sanctuary Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    It was maybe better if PW had choosen for dollars on USA servers (50 dollars in Zen) and Euro's for the German/French servers in Amsterdam (60 dollars for 50 in Zen).

the servers aint even in europe, they still in california, usa b:laughb:laugh
  • crazy001
    crazy001 Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    There was a law passed by Europe earlier this year that placed regulations for all businesses that have operations within the European Union that has forced this change. Companies were given a certain amount of time to comply to these new regulations and that time is now. Prior to the change, Perfect World Entertainment was paying the VAT taxes for all of our European players and when this law was passed, we explained to the European officials that our company was paying this additional fee for our users so that they can continue to pay in United States Dollars and we were informed that we were no longer allowed to do so. That information came straight from the people in charge of these new regulations for Europe. Perfect World Entertainment was then forced to abide by these new regulations and we were forced to make the change you now see. If you are playing from the Europe, you are no longer allowed to pay in United States Dollars which is why you no longer see that option. This has absolutely nothing to do with greed or wanting more money or any other negative connotation that has been thrown out there in regards to the change. We as a company are simply complying to the new laws put in place in order for our company to continue operations in you local region. Had we not complied to these new regulations, we would have to just pull out of operations in those areas and no longer provide service to those regions.

b:angry maby a Law was passed but your asking us to pay more for somthing you cant hold but you can see, you cant smill it but you can see it, the trurh is it not realy there its somthing you made up just to earn money and a lot of it now you have to stop and think of the players that have to pay for this is it right to cheat them. no its not so please think of us for a change and not how much more you can cheat us out of.
This discussion has been closed.