in game rules

asd123fq41ags
asd123fq41ags Posts: 5 Arc User
edited October 2011 in General Discussion
where art thou?

i can't find a list of them anywhere, besides a few on the log in screen that appear to have been outdated for quite some time. i even googled it, it only directed me to the forum rules - nothing about in game.

anyway.

i'm curious to know if editing the .ini file to your character for a more "customized" look is against any of these hidden rules? b:question
Post edited by asd123fq41ags on

Comments

• Baeliia - Heavens Tear
    Baeliia - Heavens Tear Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Yes editing .ini files is against the rules and is bannable.

There are a few posts from GM's in several threads that states not to edit any at all.. then I've seen posts about being able to edit certain files giving your character certain features that are originally meant for that class.. which doesn't leave much that you're allowed to do.

So putting tideborn/earthguard hair on another class is not allowed. Making your character really fat or really skinny is not allowed. Putting hair on your Barb is not allowed. Making your female chars have a HUGE chest is not allowed.. etc etc

Hope that helps b:surrender
  • Xainou - Sanctuary
    Xainou - Sanctuary Posts: 5,369 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    There's a petition for character .ini edits to be allowed b:mischievous
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Licensed tail brusher of ƙɑƙʊɱɑʊ ~ only the fluffiest
    Outrunning centaurs since 2012~
  • gyroki
    gyroki Posts: 450 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    When u charge enough money nothing will happen to you ever. There is even e.g. a faction called (frost) Glitchers on our server and a very well known person is the leader of this factionb:shutup. But he charges alot and GMs like the extreme money charging faction of his main. And yup, many ppl in this faction have enlarged the **** of their manga toons. They have to compensate alot this way because they will never get close enough to some in rl b:laugh
  • Hideori - Lost City
    Hideori - Lost City Posts: 530 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    yes, there is rules. no, theres no list.
  • Veri - Lothranis
    Veri - Lothranis Posts: 127 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    From the ToS AKA the rules
    http://www.perfectworld.com/about/terms

you agree not to engage in, any: (a) resale, sublicense, lending or commercial use of the Services or the Proprietary Materials therein; (b) distribution, public performance or public display of any Proprietary Materials except in connection with game play in the ordinary course,

(d) modifying, adapting, altering, enhancing, or otherwise making any derivative uses of any Games, game content or other Proprietary Materials, or any portion thereof ;

(e) use of any data mining, robots or similar data gathering or extraction methods; (f) downloading (other than the page caching) of any portion of the Proprietary Materials or any information contained therein, except as expressly permitted on the Site; (g) reverse engineer or decompile the Proprietary Materials, or otherwise attempt to derive source code from the Games or other software included in the Proprietary Materials; or (h) any use of the Services or the Proprietary Materials other than for its intended purpose. Any use of the Service or the Proprietary Materials other than as specifically authorized herein, without the prior written permission of PWE is strictly prohibited and will, at PWE's option, terminate the license granted herein. Such unauthorized use may also violate applicable laws including without limitation copyright and trademark laws and applicable communications regulations and statutes Unless explicitly stated herein, nothing in these Terms shall be construed as conferring any license to or rights in intellectual property rights, whether by estoppel, implication or otherwise. This license is revocable at any time with or without cause.
  • prof
    prof Posts: 1,111
    edited September 2011
    derivative uses? did you know editing your chars .ini has absolutely no effect on the game what-so-ever? it's allowed in other servers, why not pwi lol
  • Knownase - Heavens Tear
    Knownase - Heavens Tear Posts: 6,959 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    People just do it anyways, I've seen loads of players with eyes from the EG race, or hairstyles from the TB race.

From what I see, the risk is pretty low.....if any at all.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    b:flowerHave a Techno Rave Flower!b:flower

-Self-Proclaimed TW commentator of HT-
    -Certified Barbarian Master-
    -You gained +10 coolness points for viewing this signature-
    -Master of Coffee-
  • Broederjr - Lost City
    Broederjr - Lost City Posts: 234 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    PWE rules there are no rules unless you get caught and even then they wont do anything so jsut do what you want
  • Veri - Lothranis
    Veri - Lothranis Posts: 127 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    prof wrote: »
    derivative uses? did you know editing your chars .ini has absolutely no effect on the game what-so-ever? it's allowed in other servers, why not pwi lol
    derivative uses:
    Referring to a work, such as a translation or adaptation(in this case to the content of the game), based on another work that may be subject to copyright restrictions.

It has no effect in the game you say ?
    I thought it is used to make your character look different AKA not playing by the allowed default settings and modifying the game files.
    Theres also the fact that they SELL some of the stuff for virtual currency possibly modifying your character to look it is wearing ingame currency items without having payed for them doesnt sound quite right to me.
  • sangodoc
    sangodoc Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Yes editing .ini files is against the rules and is bannable.

There are a few posts from GM's in several threads that states not to edit any at all.. then I've seen posts about being able to edit certain files giving your character certain features that are originally meant for that class.. which doesn't leave much that you're allowed to do.

So putting tideborn/earthguard hair on another class is not allowed. Making your character really fat or really skinny is not allowed. Putting hair on your Barb is not allowed. Making your female chars have a HUGE chest is not allowed.. etc etc

Hope that helps b:surrender
    Basically correct, except that you can edit the systemsettings.ini file to allow you to change the "ScaleUI" setting so that you can fix some problems if your window is too small for the UI. (See here.)

So it's not "certain features that are originally meant for that class", it's "certain features that are meant to be able to see and use, but may not be able to if your resolution is too low".
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Visit the PWI wiki for the useful information. Stay at the PWI wiki for the pie. ;-)
  • Baeliia - Heavens Tear
    edited September 2011
    Sangodoc wrote: »
    So it's not "certain features that are originally meant for that class"

so.. say you want to make a veno.. and use a preset that has bunny ears but you want a fox tail on that particular preset.. are you allowed to edit the file so that the preset you select has fox ears/tail rather than the bunny ears?
    or even further.. use a elf/human preset and make it into a veno? I've heard both yes and no to this. b:puzzled
  • prof
    edited September 2011
    derivative uses:
    Referring to a work, such as a translation or adaptation(in this case to the content of the game), based on another work that may be subject to copyright restrictions.

It has no effect in the game you say ?
    I thought it is used to make your character look different AKA not playing by the allowed default settings and modifying the game files.
    Theres also the fact that they SELL some of the stuff for virtual currency possibly modifying your character to look it is wearing ingame currency items without having payed for them doesnt sound quite right to me.

erm? if you mean wigs, those are items; not selectable choices for any class. you must be reading the wrong forum if you think those can be selected here. b:laugh if you were to, for example, use the hair from another class(or what most people did back in myen, which is make their barbarians' super fat), what does this hurt? how is this harming pwi in any way, shape, or form?

it's not.
  • sangodoc
    edited September 2011
    so.. say you want to make a veno.. and use a preset that has bunny ears but you want a fox tail on that particular preset.. are you allowed to edit the file so that the preset you select has fox ears/tail rather than the bunny ears?
    or even further.. use a elf/human preset and make it into a veno? I've heard both yes and no to this. b:puzzled
    No. You can only use the presets that are included with the game and the modifications to those presets that are possible through the UI (User Interface). (Though I should mention that there are a few presets that have things, like hair colors, that are not normally available through the UI.)

Basically, if you're editing any INI file, other than the exception I mentioned in my other post, you're violating the Terms of Service you agreed to when you signed up to play the game.
    if you were to, for example, use the hair from another class(or what most people did back in myen, which is make their barbarians' super fat), what does this hurt? how is this harming pwi in any way, shape, or form?

it's not.
    Are you 100% positive? The reason might be that certain unexpected settings in character models cause client instability. I know I've seen some weird glitchy stuff from people who edited their character models. So maybe thats why.

I don't know if that's the reason, but even if it isn't, it's still bannable, and I bet you'd feel pretty dumb getting banned and losing all of your hard work over your need for something like a particular haircut or whatever.

Edit: Whoops! I meant to add the above to the previous post instead of creating a new post.

Edit #2: Thanks to KrittyCat for fixing my double-post.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Visit the PWI wiki for the useful information. Stay at the PWI wiki for the pie. ;-)
  • ApocaIypto - Dreamweaver
    ApocaIypto - Dreamweaver Posts: 585 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    No. You can only use the presets that are included with the game and the modifications to those presets that are possible through the UI (User Interface). (Though I should mention that there are a few presets that have things, like hair colors, that are not normally available through the UI.)

Basically, if you're editing any INI file, other than the exception I mentioned in my other post, you're violating the Terms of Service you agreed to when you signed up to play the game.

thousands of player dit it and still nothing happened xD
  • prof
    edited September 2011
    Are you 100% positive? The reason might be that certain unexpected settings in character models cause client instability.
    this is just pwe's "opps" excuse, it has no effect on stability.
    I know I've seen some weird glitchy stuff from people who edited their character models. So maybe thats why.
    the glitchiest things i could imagine would be using female or male hairs on the wrong sex, but this doesn't so much glitch - it just doesn't fit the model properly.
  • Baeliia - Heavens Tear
    edited September 2011
    Ty Sangodoc b:thanks
  • Baeliia - Heavens Tear
    edited September 2011
    thousands of player dit it and still nothing happened xD

True. But like OP wanted to know.. Is it against the rules? Which it is.. unfortunately b:sadb:surrender
  • Xainou - Sanctuary
    edited September 2011
    Are you 100% positive? The reason might be that certain unexpected settings in character models cause client instability. I know I've seen some weird glitchy stuff from people who edited their character models. So maybe thats why.

And that's why PW China and every private server crash so much? b:surrender
    I seriously doubt it. It is allowed for the EU servers after all. So yea .-.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Xainou - Sanctuary
    edited September 2011

You're allowed to move a file from one of the class folders to another as long as it stays in the same range. Aka wizard to cleric or a psychic to assassin. But you're not allowed to give an old class like venos a hairstyle of the earthguard. b:surrender

As for the venos... I dunno. Can't say if that even works, I been a cat always and never tried to change my ears :p But I can imagine it would work somehow oO,

Edit: Oops, double post ._. I'm sleepy...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Kalirin - Sanctuary
    Kalirin - Sanctuary Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Rules didnt know there were any as Ive seen tons of giant headed barbs female toons with the wrong race hair styles etc. They say DONT but do they do anything if you DO it doesnt seem like it. Just charge zen and do as you please like someone else already mentioned b:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sanct - 100 Sage Cleric
    Sanct - 100 Demon Bm
  • TanisHawkeye - Dreamweaver
    TanisHawkeye - Dreamweaver Posts: 171 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Making your female chars have a HUGE chest is not allowed

Sure it is, there's a slider bar for it in the character design screen (inb4 a lot of huge-chested chars suddenly pop up..)
  • truekossy
    truekossy Posts: 7,021 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Sure it is, there's a slider bar for it in the character design screen (inb4 a lot of huge-chested chars suddenly pop up..)
    Not quite
    [Body]
    bodyID = 0
    colorBody = -5209769
    headScale = 115
    upScale = 120
    waistScale = 127
    armWidth = 121
    legWidth = 126
    breastScale = 146

Anything above.... 180ish I think (can't be arsed to log on, max bust slider, save the preset, and then see what it was) is above the max the in-game slider allows ad thus, an INI edit which is technically bannable. I say technically, because even though they're against the rules, almost nothing is done about them unless someone's a **** and reports it for whatever reason.
  • TanisHawkeye - Dreamweaver
    TanisHawkeye - Dreamweaver Posts: 171 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    truekossy wrote: »
    I say technically, because even though they're against the rules, almost nothing is done about them unless someone's a **** and reports it for whatever reason.

Who would report someone just because their **** are bigger than yours? Jealous women, that's who
  • Baeliia - Heavens Tear
    edited September 2011
    Jealous women, that's who

Yeah cause that's all we women REAAAALLY want.. A pair we can hold your beer with.. the whole 6-pack even

>.>
  • sangodoc
    edited October 2011
    this is just pwe's "opps" excuse, it has no effect on stability.

the glitchiest things i could imagine would be using female or male hairs on the wrong sex, but this doesn't so much glitch - it just doesn't fit the model properly.
    Yeah, I've seen worse than that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • prof
    edited October 2011
    i didn't know you could glitch tigerform, but i think that's hilarious lol

but, whose is hurting if he's ridiculously fat? his hitbox is the same size. he gains no advantage, other then being unique.
  • codeman200
    codeman200 Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    hostname: healgoddess.hostventrilo.net
    Port 9979
    Password:Chocolate

Happy Trolling :D
  • Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973
    Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973 Posts: 7,881 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    i didn't know you could glitch tigerform, but i think that's hilarious lol

but, whose is hurting if he's ridiculously fat? his hitbox is the same size. he gains no advantage, other then being unique.

If he is extremely big you can't even see his name since it would appear inside his body. Anyone who has tried to click on someone riding a boa can tell you it is difficult to click on something that looks much larger than the actual click box.

It's not as much an issue now with tab selection but sometimes you still have to click on the person when tab selection is not suitable.

I'm against extreme size edits and skin colors. Hair, eyes, and makeup should be free reign though.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Refining Simulator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/refiningsimulator.html (don't use IE)
    Genie Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/geniecalculator.html - (don't use IE)
    Socket Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/socketcalculator.html
  • Psytrac - Dreamweaver
    Psytrac - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,488 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    if they evened that out that woulda been cool wut hey.. even editors are too lazy to fix their own creations
    I'm a guy, not a woman, that is all
    "When you're on Team Bring it, every morning your feet hit the floor, the good lord says "good morning" and the devil says 'Oh **** they're up' " - Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson
    Are you on Team Bring it?