RAM swap file

Options
Lorsis - Lost City
Lorsis - Lost City Posts: 74 Arc User
edited September 2011 in Support Desk
So....

whenever i log game, ram usage by PWI client is around 400-700 MB depends on palce

and then the stuff starts

swap file strats growing, the more i move, the more it grows

it'd be all ok BUT it never drop the memory like other games do

file grows and never stops, never dump the memory that is no more needed, grows till it fills my ram with useless data, then client crashes

takes 5 min to grow from 650MB to around 1gb WITHOUT EVEN MOVING FROM ONE PLACE

y is this game so useless, and why it does like this
anyone got the same problem / knows the solution >.>?
Post edited by Lorsis - Lost City on

Comments

• Dr_Jeckyl - Heavens Tear
    Dr_Jeckyl - Heavens Tear Posts: 94 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Options
    PWI seems to like to use close to 2GB Ram (for itself) for best performance. If you don't have a 64 bit system with 4GB or more Ram, it is going to start creating a swap file (using Hard Drive space) which slows the game down like mad since HDs are several hundred times slower than RAM.

If you have Win 7 and 4GByou can run one copy smoothly. With 8GB you can multi-client 2 sessions very smoothly with virtually no hit on your swap file.

I don't know if this helps you if you don't have the memory, but maybe it will help you understand why PWI needs to use the swap file.
  • Allisandre - Sanctuary
    Allisandre - Sanctuary Posts: 1,452 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Also the patcher has a memory leak after it updates. You should reboot after updating the client
    Take the time to look for your answer before you post like an idiot.

There are two kinds of people in this world...
    There are those who panic,
    And then there is us.
    ~ Sarah Jane Smith
  • Lorsis - Lost City
    edited September 2011
    Options
    you guys have no idea what r u talkign about...
    edited September 2011
    Options
    you guys have no idea what r u talkign about...

Well obviously you don't know what you are doing because, the game rarely crashes on my PC and I don't have your swap file problem.

I also run it fine on a 2GB Win XP PC with no swap file problems.

Don't come here asking for help if you are going to be rude to people who are trying to help. b:lipcurl
  • Lorsis - Lost City
    edited September 2011
    Options
    pwi Seems To Like To Use Close To 2gb Ram bullshet Tops 1,5 Gb in most faked up locations like west arch(for Itself) For Best Performance. If You Don't Have A 64 Bit System With 4gb Or More Ram i Do, It Is Going To Start Creating A Swap File (using Hard Drive Space)talking About Ram Memory And Ram Memory Only Which Slows The Game Down Like Mad Since Hds Are Several Hundred Times Slower Than Ram.

If You Have Win 7 And 4gbyou Can Run One Copy Smoothly that Should Allow To Run 4 Copies If The Files Were Dumped When Not Needed Liek All Other Games Do. With 8gb You Can Multi-client 2 Sessions Very Smoothly Yet Another Bs, Like Ram Matters In Smooth Playing In Pwi With Virtually No Hit On Your Swap File.

I Don't Know If This Helps You If You Don't Have The Memory, But Maybe It Will Help You Understand Why Pwi Needs To Use The Swap File. like All Other Games But It Does Not Remove Files That Are Not Needed From Ram Memory

Lemme Do It This Way

also why this bs capitalized all the words after post previev....

also i've fixed it
    wotn tell you how, you got problem, deal with it yourself.

protip: software not hardware
    edited September 2011
    Options

swap file strats growing, the more i move, the more it grows

grows till it fills my ram with useless data, then client crashes

takes 5 min to grow from 650MB to around 1gb WITHOUT EVEN MOVING FROM ONE PLACE

y is this game so useless,

Your own question says SWAP file, which means HD swap file to most techies. If you mean something different please explain.

As for the exact amount yes you are probably right it is around 1.5 GB usage. I didn't measure exactly, just watched my RAM usage meter over many weeks and didn't specifically account for other background apps running.

Anyways, I can run 2 copies of PWI smoothly even in Arch at max settings, HD res and above, and you can't so who is having the problem here? If you are so pro fix it yourself.