The bad news and the good news (the real reason sale canceled)

Options
SashaGray - Heavens Tear
SashaGray - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,765 Arc User
edited September 2011 in General Discussion
http://www.benzinga.com/news/earnings/11/09/1919105/perfect-world-lowers-q3-revenue-guidance-to-rmb702-741m-vs-rmb756-803m

in short the sales cancellation come from the top, that is the sale isnt coming back, at least not for a good long time. There was a corporate decision to lower short term profits in favor of extending the lifetime of their games. Corporate is cognizant that the sale would decrease the lifeline of the game, in essence, killing the goose that laid the golden egg.

the good news is that corporate has decided against a final milking of PWI, in favor of keeping a smaller but longer lasting stream of income. so they killed the sale, instead of killing the game. Not that the sale itself would kill the game, but, the corporate strategy behind the sale would have.

Understandably, this reason could not be announced prior to pulling the sale, as the emergency maintenance was damage mitigation.

But there was no reason to lie to the players when no reason was actually required in order to perform the emergency maintenance or to pull the sale.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by SashaGray - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• Barunaa - Heavens Tear
    Barunaa - Heavens Tear Posts: 420 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Options
    lol. i smell. conspiracy.

but if this is true ur right, they had no reason to lie. guess this is a sign that its time to quit PW for good. its to bad. this game had good potential. but they did it to themselves with there greed.
  • JanusZeal - Heavens Tear
    JanusZeal - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,852 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Options
    The reason was announced, however, there was no actual detail into how a fricken sale caused "client instability", nor is that really believable until some proof is shown.
  • Barunaa - Heavens Tear
    Barunaa - Heavens Tear Posts: 420 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Options
    The reason was announced, however, there was no actual detail into how a fricken sale caused "client instability", nor is that really believable until some proof is shown.

if it truly did then they will fix the issue and re-release the sale either next week or week after.
  • Susamajii - Lost City
    Susamajii - Lost City Posts: 902 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Options
    This wasn't exactly rocket science. It made absolutely no sense for them to put their two single most expensive items in the game (when the game came out) on sale for this ridiculously cheap. It for sure would have killed the game and I am glad they took them out. Does this mean PWI will finally stop spamming us with packs and gold might drop below 1mill coins? b:shockedb:shocked

Maybe there was an immense amount of lag from massive amounts of zhen being transferred to the servers. But yeah the reason given wasn't exactly the best.. or true.
    Push me,
    And then just touch me.
    Tilll I get my,
    Satisfaction.
  • Chillum - Dreamweaver
    Chillum - Dreamweaver Posts: 887 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Haven't PWE made this claim before that they were making a choice to reduce monetisation of their games?

Been trying to find a direct source for this claim but haven't so far.

Best i've found is:
    Perfect World shares declined 25% on Monday, reflecting investors' two major concerns. First, the increasingly intense competition in China's online game industry, which caused Perfect World to reduce the level of monetization in Q2 in order to retain players. Second, the large decline in the usage of new game Fantasy Zhu Xian, which makes investors worry about incoming games Forsaken World and Dragon Excalibur.

Taken from Perfect World: Struggling to Stay Ahead of the Curve in Online Gaming dated May 18, 2010.

I believe there was a press release / articles / features stating something to that effect a little while back.

Personally I don't see how a potential desire to reduce monetisation of their games warrants an immediate interruption in service to effect that. If it were the case, would have been just as easy to wait till next week.

Furthermore, damage caused via packs, reputation and rank 9 related item sales have done far far worse.

After all, if packs and what not weren't around but high level dragon orbs were, the best that'd be around would be what? TT90 / TT99 weapons?

Also interestingly in their careers section:
    Monetization Analyst

Responsibilities & Job Duties:

Monitor in-game promotions and activities and identify trends as well as user behavior
    Schedule and create in-game promotions and updates
    Create new promotional strategies and identify opportunities to increase monetization
    Manage sales data as well as in-game economy data
    Become deeply familiar with the mechanics of any title(s) assigned
    Categorize and maintain a database of all in-game items
    Conceptualize new tools that can help increase efficiency for day to day work
    Provide reports to direct manager that keep track of KPI

Requirements:

MS/BS degree
    Familiarity with online games, specifically MMORPGs
    Familiarity with micro-transactions and micro-transaction based games
    Ability to work under the pressure of time constraints, handling multiple tasks with frequent interruptions
    Ability to understand in-game economies and how they interact with monetization
    Strong skills in statistics, math, and the ability to understand how variables relate to one another
    Ability to quickly identify trends and opportunities through the use of data
    Passion for games and an understanding of the gaming market

So, whatever the reason for the abrupt maintenance if it wasn't the stated one, I doubt it was to immediately reduce monetisation of the game.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SashaGray - Heavens Tear
    edited September 2011
    Options

the announced reason was announced, but the announced reason was a lie. the actual reason was unannounced.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ReMakaBo - Archosaur
    ReMakaBo - Archosaur Posts: 845 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Options
    arn't they able to close sales without maint?
    re
  • Dr_Jeckyl - Heavens Tear
    Dr_Jeckyl - Heavens Tear Posts: 94 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Options
    http://www.benzinga.com/news/earnings/11/09/1919105/perfect-world-lowers-q3-revenue-guidance-to-rmb702-741m-vs-rmb756-803m

in short the sales cancellation come from the top, that is the sale isnt coming back, at least not for a good long time. There was a corporate decision to lower short term profits in favor of extending the lifetime of their games. Corporate is cognizant that the sale would decrease the lifeline of the game, in essence, killing the goose that laid the golden egg.

the good news is that corporate has decided against a final milking of PWI, in favor of keeping a smaller but longer lasting stream of income. so they killed the sale, instead of killing the game. Not that the sale itself would kill the game, but, the corporate strategy behind the sale would have.

Understandably, this reason could not be announced prior to pulling the sale, as the emergency maintenance was damage mitigation.

But there was no reason to lie to the players when no reason was actually required in order to perform the emergency maintenance or to pull the sale.

Thanks for the info.

What boggles my mind is WHY it was so last minute? Is the management so incompetent that they don't plan ahaead.

Or perhaps the statistics of the mass uninstalls due to the SP fiasco caused them to rapidly about face.
  • Hera_aether - Sanctuary
    Hera_aether - Sanctuary Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Does anybody besides me see the link between these lowered projections and the pending sanctioning of gooners? There will be an impact on income as they lose some of their cashshoppers, though I personally don't believe it will be as staggering as some might have us believe.

Extending the life cycle of the game will naturally mean upholding the ToS, and regaining the trust and faith of the player community through a variety of means and methods. Many will have a financial impact on the bottom line. Perhaps this is their way of preparing their investors for just that (short-term) impact.
  • knightsdarksoul
    knightsdarksoul Posts: 265
    edited September 2011
    Options
    sadly if this is the real reason then it should have come with a 24 hour roll back of the servers. a games life span is not only measured by its content but by it's balance something which once again they messed up with only having the sale for 24 hours
  • Okeano - Harshlands
    Okeano - Harshlands Posts: 4,943 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Once again, AND THEY COULDN'T HAVE SEEN THIS COMING BEFORE THEY IMPLEMENTED THE SALE? How incompetent are they?
  • IAetius - Dreamweaver
    IAetius - Dreamweaver Posts: 197 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Options
    PWI was scared guild wars 2 was gonna beat them out b:chuckle

On a serious note though I do not believe that an item in the cash shop make unstable 'clients'. I do however believe that they made a mistake and wanted to fix what they had done.

It does make sense. A lot of their long time dedicated players who had spent money on the game were becoming upset. PWI was starting to feel like a private server that only required cash from those who did not mind giving it. Ignore all of the 'huge' cashies and consider those who have been playing this game for many years and puts a set amount in every month. That makes it so not only the big cashies but the long time dedicated players quit as well.

If someone has been playing for around 3 years and only puts very little money in it all adds up by this point. By doing this pwi was going to lose not only the people who have invested around $2k-$10k in a short period of time but also the dedicated players who put in $15-$30 a month. This game has a lot of good things ahead of it and honestly isn't time for them to give up on it. China is coming out with new expansions and updates that I cannot wait to see. Yes we complain about the bugs that they take forever to fix but I still enjoy this game and do not want to see it go so soon.

I'm happy about their choice. Happy gaming everyone <3
    TY for my shiney new R9 PWE b:chuckle

iAetius - Sage- Mystic-
  • Sarrafeline - Sanctuary
    Sarrafeline - Sanctuary Posts: 4,661 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Options
    So far during the third quarter, the Company has released a series of expansion packs for its existing games and plans to roll out a few more, including a major expansion pack for its flagship game Zhu Xian by the end of the quarter.

Unless Zhu Xian is Chinese for 'Perfect World', it looks like PWI is no longer the Flagship game for the company. b:chuckle

Looks like it's time to find new games to play, games owned and operated by companies that aren't located in China, or at least not by Perfect World. b:sad
    101 Sage Sin*/Archer
    100 Demon BM*/Barb
    96 Demon Cleric/Sage Seeker
    95 Demon Wiz/
    94 Sage Veno
    85 Psy/80 Mystic
    And a handful of other alts, all 79 and under.
    *Pre RB level
  • Susamajii - Lost City
    Susamajii - Lost City Posts: 902 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Options
    On a side note. Fixing goon glitch is barely on the devs to do list. No other versions are able to hyper inside frost. I just had a player from PWIC from the Philippines server send me a screenshot. They are unable to turn it on inside FCC. Making it so people can't hyper inside frost on this server would fix the abuse of the glitch and make people have to level outside instances for a change. ALSO I have one of the chinese players I talk to and he said they cannot hyper frost on the CN server either. b:shutup
    Push me,
    And then just touch me.
    Tilll I get my,
    Satisfaction.
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Unless Zhu Xian is Chinese for 'Perfect World', it looks like PWI is no longer the Flagship game for the company. b:chuckle

Looks like it's time to find new games to play, games owned and operated by companies that aren't located in China, or at least not by Perfect World. b:sad

I'm pretty sure Zhu Xian must be Perfect World. No other game in their portfolio comes close.

Frankie has asked for suggestions for new classes, so I think that is clear indication they are still updating.

But they really need to fix the Sins OP and give casual players/spenders something to stay in the game for. ie: open a practice TW area.

my poll on TW practice for everyone got moved to Suggestions - go vote here: http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1185001
  • knightsdarksoul
    knightsdarksoul Posts: 265
    edited September 2011
    Options
    PWI was scared guild wars 2 was gonna beat them out b:chuckle

On a serious note though I do not believe that an item in the cash shop make unstable 'clients'. I do however believe that they made a mistake and wanted to fix what they had done.

It does make sense. A lot of their long time dedicated players who had spent money on the game were becoming upset. PWI was starting to feel like a private server that only required cash from those who did not mind giving it. Ignore all of the 'huge' cashies and consider those who have been playing this game for many years and puts a set amount in every month. That makes it so not only the big cashies but the long time dedicated players quit as well.

If someone has been playing for around 3 years and only puts very little money in it all adds up by this point. By doing this pwi was going to lose not only the people who have invested around $2k-$10k in a short period of time but also the dedicated players who put in $15-$30 a month. This game has a lot of good things ahead of it and honestly isn't time for them to give up on it. China is coming out with new expansions and updates that I cannot wait to see. Yes we complain about the bugs that they take forever to fix but I still enjoy this game and do not want to see it go so soon.

I'm happy about their choice. Happy gaming everyone <3

They should re-vert your glitched lvl 104 aswell since alot of long term players are also upset about the goonz fad.
    ff + hypers and more recently goonz along with pack sales and rank sales have all contributed the lack of long term viability and will continue to do so unless addressed.

pwi are trying not to shut the door after the horse has bolted or even trying to usher the horse back in, they are trying to close the door while the horse is still half way in it.

if they want to fix things fine. re-vert or ban all ppl who glitched goonz, stop hypers working in ff, have no more rank sale etc etc but it's pwi so will just end up being some half assed measure
  • Starsteel - Heavens Tear
    Starsteel - Heavens Tear Posts: 59 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Options
    See here is the problem I have with all of this.... and that is this:

THEY ALREADY KILLED THE GAME WITH THE FACT YOU CAN BUY ANYTHING ACQUIRABLE IN THIS GAME WITH MONEY, GAMBLE PACKS AND RANK SALES RUINED IT ALREADY SO WHY TRY AND FIX A DEAD HORSE.
    ★★★ DEMON VIT BARBARIAN +46K
    b:dirty
    edited September 2011
    Options
    See here is the problem I have with all of this.... and that is this:

THEY ALREADY KILLED THE GAME WITH THE FACT YOU CAN BUY ANYTHING ACQUIRABLE IN THIS GAME WITH MONEY, GAMBLE PACKS AND RANK SALES RUINED IT ALREADY SO WHY TRY AND FIX A DEAD HORSE.

Well this horse is far from dead just badly wounded.

I think they can easily fix the problem by enabling some mid game content. For example level restricted zones. They already showed they can do it with Phoenix Valley, only that was a really badly implemented instance.

Make a version of PV which allows PvP/flying and doesn't restrict it to once a day.
  • Jay_Dubbz - Lost City
    Jay_Dubbz - Lost City Posts: 385 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Options
    I'm pretty sure Zhu Xian must be Perfect World. No other game in their portfolio comes close.

Frankie has asked for suggestions for new classes, so I think that is clear indication they are still updating.

But they really need to fix the Sins OP and give casual players/spenders something to stay in the game for. ie: open a practice TW area.

my poll on TW practice for everyone got moved to Suggestions - go vote here: http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1185001

Zhu Xian is jade dynasty lol, in china p2p perfect world is perfect world, and other is w2i(perfect world 2)

jade dynasty (Zhu Xian) is more popular in china
  • Jay_Dubbz - Lost City
    edited September 2011
    Options

Zhu Xian is not perfect world is jade dynasty and its kinda obvious that pw is the their flagship game anymore lol, i mean look how much content this game has received in the past 2-3 years
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Zhu Xian is jade dynasty lol, in china p2p perfect world is perfect world, and other is w2i(perfect world 2)

jade dynasty (Zhu Xian) is more popular in china

OMG, then PWI is dead. I dunno why tho, Jade Dynasty is awful.
  • PhantomThief - Archosaur
    PhantomThief - Archosaur Posts: 232 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Options

Where did you see this? o.O
    A sword can cut a man in twain, but words can shake a fortress to the ground.
  • Jay_Dubbz - Lost City
    edited September 2011
    Options
    OMG, then PWI is dead. I dunno why tho, Jade Dynasty is awful.

lol pwi has been dead, everyone who play it just does so cuz they spend their money on here or for faction/friends. If you check out jade dynasty that game is well taken care of, it does suck tho lol, but they support it. It isn't every popular here but in china is a different story. I've actually heard of a Zhu Xian 2 ( Jade Dynasty 2) may be coming.

But yea they dont care about perfect world as much and it is clear when you look at how this game has been treated in the past couple of years. They recently made some slight updates in light of the big pwic spectacle, like fixing frost and rb glitches, map, caster nirvana, etc. I don't think this will continue for long lol
  • Mystic-Night - Heavens Tear
    Mystic-Night - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,619 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Options
    It's out now. PWI stocks have declined majorly within the past year (apparently losing $46m RL cash?) And apparently they plummeted 17% last night because of the orb thing.

Also, still waiting for a response as to how you're going to make up for the faction that some people have full +12 armor for dirt cheap?
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Where did you see this? o.O

My bad, I though it was Frankie but the post is from KrittyCat who is only a Mod, as a sticky in the Suggestions FAQ. It can be read two ways, no new classes or changes period. Or, it is only likely that they will add new classes because the new programmers are too stupid to know how to modify old classes.

Quote:
    Update Old Classes/Create New Classes!

At the moment, it doesn't look like this will happen besides a rumored adjustment to barbs ability to hold aggro. However, if you have a new class suggestion you feel would be awesome, feel free to post it. In order to receive more responses though, I suggest before you post them that you think them out all the way through. What would their weapons be? What would their skills be? How would you retrcon them with the current storyline of PWI? What would they look like as the default? How would you prevent them from causing problems with balance issues? If an older class, how would you make sure you aren't nerfing a particular class to much. What about changes through gear? How would this affect balance in PvE? PvP? Think outside of just your classes' perspective. In general, the more detailed the better. Also keep in mind, that the older classes were originally developed by an entirely different studio making updating possibly more complicated than we realize.
  • jimbillybob46310
    jimbillybob46310 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Options
    PWRD is traded on NASDAQ so trading should happen on US eastern time.
    PWRD stock closed yesterday at $17.27
    PWRD stock close today at $13.92
    FOR A LOSS OF $3.35 per share
    So it would seem PWE stock holders were not happy with this BS either.
    edited September 2011
    Options
    The drop was due to a revision in forecast not the sale, although the sale is a result of poor past decision making. I doubt the big investors watch the inside mechanics of one game that closely.

From Motley Fool website:

What: Shares of Chinese online gaming specialist Perfect World (Nasdaq: PWRD ) plunged 18% Thursday after the company lowered its current-quarter outlook.

So what: Perfect World has been crushed over the past several months on concerns over the lifecycle of its games, and today's downside guidance -- management now expects third-quarter revenue of $109.8 million versus its previous forecast of $118.3 million -- only reinforces those fears. In fact, the shares are hitting a new 52-week low on the news and are down 45% over the past year.

Now what: I'd look into this pullback as a possible buying opportunity. While the lowered sales guidance is disappointing, it still represents year-over-year growth of 21% to 28% for its core online business. With the shares trading at a clear P/E discount to rivals like NetEase (Nasdaq: NTES ) and Shanda (Nasdaq: SNDA ) , Perfect World already seems heavily priced for imperfection.
  • StormDragoon - Sanctuary
    StormDragoon - Sanctuary Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Options
    I honestly don't care about stocks, sales or whatever, but the reason PWI has been dying is the fact that PW people fail to maintain their players happy.

And every "update" they make just kills the game more because they fail to oversee their own consequences. Watch in-game economy...It's like a roller-coaster tending to rise more every time. Coin is so devaluated farming is basically useless to a certain point. People that put money into the game will eventually get tired of spending money when more and more people quit. Logic behind this is simple, your friends quit then you quit, rivals quit, then you quit, faction mates quit, then you quit.

When PWI people actually know the mechanics of the game being a balance of both, overall player happiness with the game and their setting of goals with the input of real life money for the maintenance of the game. Then they will see all they are doing is completely wrong.

What should be done with this sale of +11 and +12 orbs is a rollback and reimburse (keep dreaming lol). Or else, those that are already upset will quit. There are already very few people that even have the drive to continue paying. And the "new" players don't really last as long as old "core" players that have been around for 3 years.
  • Lanova - Dreamweaver
    Lanova - Dreamweaver Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Well then now that we know they're not fooling anyone but the docile and lazy lets take the problems flaws and concerns directly to them by http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1182101 I mean of course. They might be able to ignore one of us but they can't ignore us all. *points at stock*
  • SashaGray - Heavens Tear
    edited September 2011
    Options
    It's out now. PWI stocks have declined majorly within the past year (apparently losing $46m RL cash?) And apparently they plummeted 17% last night because of the orb thing.

Also, still waiting for a response as to how you're going to make up for the faction that some people have full +12 armor for dirt cheap?

correlation is not causation

they probably dropped because of the released statement that they are changing their plains from short term to long term life spans of their games, the sale is related of course, but not the cause of the stock price drop.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]