Why does venomancer use Cactus pet?

Options
laisvis
laisvis Posts: 1 Arc User
edited August 2011 in Venomancer
I have seen this video http://zoome.jp/ginorin/diary/31 and was amazed that venomancer used Cactus as dd? How to understand? How about Scorpion or Herc in instances?
Post edited by laisvis on

Comments

• rgog
    rgog Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Options
    They use it as a ranged pet, it is more effective against certain monsters.
  • LenieClarke - Heavens Tear
    LenieClarke - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,275 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Options
    the cactus has a ranged attack; the scorpion and herc are melee only. ranged pets have uses no other pet can fill.

mind you, i've no real idea why she was using a cactus in nirvana. i've not been there, and so can't say if ranged attacks are called for in that situation.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Heaven's Tear alts: KenLubin, Sou_Hon, JudyCaraco --- level 5x chars.
  • Nyxyo - Harshlands
    Nyxyo - Harshlands Posts: 233 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Options
    beside being nr 1 lure pet ever you can use it when some boss kill melee agro characters...or if you want do less dmg so pet don't agro at all or because they are boredb:surrender

but in that video or something first boss nirvana spams traps and pets are pretty damn slow specially when come to traps so you can't pull them out.
    a ranged pet sometimes wont be even need to be moved ...
  • Olessia - Lost City
    Olessia - Lost City Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Personally only use a cactus as a lure pet, but sometimes I'm forced to use it in nirvana because daft people mistake a hercules for a chest mob on the last boss.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Idea stolen from Negreiros - Sanctuary, sorry! b:surrender
  • JanusZeal - Heavens Tear
    JanusZeal - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,852 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Options
    The only two circumstances I'd use a cactopod was pulling (however some things glitch and pull everything when using one, like Wurlord -- don't know why) or in ye olde school FF's when my herc would steal aggro (with bash on or off) on Fragrance so I'd switch to a cactopod who would do decent dmg but not enough to steal aggro, and at heads prior to Fragrance, however on the latter nowadays on either veno, I'd just use a bow and quake.
  • laisvis
    laisvis Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Options
    As we see in video, some venos use cactus in instances. But how about using this pet in pve/pvp? :D I really bored of scorpion, golem, walker... Don't ranged pet sounds good at pvp?
  • thumbs
    thumbs Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Options
    A little background on ranged pets/ uses: http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=323451

There's a daily quest in Valley of the Scarred called Icewind Strike which has ranged kiting [?] mobs (ideal for cactopod use). Heads (hit 2 at at time), Harpies and Fragrance in FFC as already mentioned (howl on cactopod can be nice for fragrance).

The only better pet I've seen for luring than a cactopod is not something venos have access to. Mystic pets (summons) appear to head more directly to their target (veno pets can occasionally veer off and get stunned / killed). Mystic pets also seem to go right through mobs without aggroing them (while veno pets get immobilized and or killed). Mystic pets also have range attacks, free debuffs, no loyalty losses, less "can't hit mob but can be hit" issues, traverse water, air and land terrains, don't require pet bag space or food, and and have aoes. At this point; I'd highly recommend any non Herc veno or considering cleric: Roll a Mystic. They are better than clerics at healing (not purifying though), and better than venos in many ways (not all). One real important factor about Mystics is they don't require as big of an up front cost like venos face with herc/ nix. I think a Nix is a waste of coin, but venos without a herc just shouldn't exist past Lv.90.

Herc and Cactopod from Eden are the two most useful veno pets in the game.
  • vampirenite
    vampirenite Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Options
    thumbs wrote: »
    A little background on ranged pets/ uses: http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=323451

The only better pet I've seen for luring than a cactopod is not something venos have access to. Mystic pets (summons) appear to head more directly to their target (veno pets can occasionally veer off and get stunned / killed). Mystic pets also seem to go right through mobs without aggroing them (while veno pets get immobilized and or killed). Mystic pets also have range attacks, free debuffs, no loyalty losses, less "can't hit mob but can be hit" issues, traverse water, air and land terrains, don't require pet bag space or food, and and have aoes. At this point; I'd highly recommend any non Herc veno or considering cleric: Roll a Mystic. They are better than clerics at healing (not purifying though), and better than venos in many ways (not all). One real important factor about Mystics is they don't require as big of an up front cost like venos face with herc/ nix. I think a Nix is a waste of coin, but venos without a herc just shouldn't exist past Lv.90.

Herc and Cactopod from Eden are the two most useful veno pets in the game.

Thanks for pointing out the http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=323451

Lots of good info there. I was dreading the idea of leveling up a Cactus... did not know there were good ones in Eden.

Decided it was time to get a ranged pet after the embarrassment of a failed lure off a platform, and the Mystic did it fine b:cry Of course my Herc was still needed for tanking at least.

Can anyone confirm the ranged pet glitch on Wurlord? Don't want to wipe if I can help it.
  • Eoria - Harshlands
    Eoria - Harshlands Posts: 6,118 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Can anyone confirm the ranged pet glitch on Wurlord? Don't want to wipe if I can help it.

Just make sure your veno is luring outside of blue ball/not being healed while luring. If you lure under those circumstances, it will aggro all of them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"subtraction has the butt of an angel" - Paulrogers
    I <3 Subtraction.
    /blatant sig copy is blatant

105/105/105 obtained! b:cute