The Role of each class in a normal PvE squad

Foxchu - Archosaur
Foxchu - Archosaur Posts: 39 Arc User
edited July 2011 in General Discussion
kk i'ma make this guide here since it seems that no one really understands the role of each other's class in a PvE stand point (for the newer players this will probably help too)

First off is the Barbarian. They are the squad sponge, they take damage and keep the rest of the party from being harmed while still attacking themselves. A good barb can never be replaced in a squad because of their useful HP and physical attack increasing buffs and their natural ability to absorb damage with their large amounts of HP.

Second is cleric. These squad healers are a must to squad survivability. Their squad buffs are very helpful because they increase a squad's physical and magical def, magical attack, and their HP and MP regain. They keep everyone at full health with their healing spells and can revive those players who have died. They are just as important as barbs, so listen to your clerics cause they know their healing limits and will ultimately be the deciding factor in most boss fights (together with the barb's HP/def).

Third is the venomancer. These versatile foxes are very good at increasing a squad's overall damage output. Their useful amplify damage stacks with all debuffs and the veno has pets that can turn a 6 man squad into 7. On those tough TT bosses who reduce the damage of all incoming attacks, the venomancer's pet can do 100% of it's damage. venos can also give sparks to people who need it, helping a tank get an invoke up or a cleric getting her BB ready. Whatever it is venos are a great addition to any squad.

Forth is the Blademaster. These warriors can carry many deadly weapons into battle and cause wonderful spike damage to enemies. Axes give BMs great aoe power to take down multiple monsters at once, while their fists can be used on bosses to quickly take them down. their poleblades/axes can strike enemies from afar and their swords allow for moderate damage with good skills to choose from. The BMs can also be used as substitute tanks should the barb be killed or unable to squad.

Fifth is the infamous Assassin. These stealthy fish are wonderful for taking down enemies 1v1 and can deal great damage with their high critical hit rates. while very weak at long range, they can stealth past hordes of monsters and take out important ones with ease. They may lack the physical defense for tanking, but their highly coveted blood paint skill for melee classes such as the seeker, barb, and BM will surely earn them a spot in most squads.

Sixth is the archer. These long range attackers prefer to use the ranged physical attacks to wreck havoc on their enemies. The archer has very high damage and can easily take out monsters. They have wonderful aoes that tear into opponents and with a high critical rate, they can easily out damage most classes. Their squad buffs increase running speed and evasion.

Seventh is the Wizard. These magicians have incredible damage at the cost of their low HP and defenses. Their many different elemental attacks give them an edge over every class but the psychic. Their aoe ability is extremely useful for taking down everything around them, while their powerful spells help to take down monsters fast and efficiently. Their squad buff adds a water attack to all melee attacks, thus increasing melee damage.

Eighth is the Psychic. These powerful fish are mostly like wizards. The need a buff to increase their power to that of wizards, but at the cost of lowering their own defenses. the psychics main job is to cause massive damage to all surrounding enemies. Unlike wizards, some of the psychic's skills rely of soul force (the combination of character level and refinement of gear increases this). Their buffs are usually used on themselves because of the high mana cost it takes to have their buffs.

Ninth is the Mystic. These are a wonderful support class that can help turn any bad situation into a positive one. They can use their many plants and summons to aid the squad from helping a cleric heal, to reducing the damage the tank takes, to dealing out damage and debuffs to surrounding enemies. This class has an enormous mana cost to summon their plants and summons and this can leave them sitting on the sidelines during boss fights, waiting for their mana to recharge. Their squad buffs can give 1 person a revive at the cost of a huge chunk of mana from the mystic for only 15mins. The buff is a must for the cleric and barb if anything should go badly.

Finally the Tenth is the seeker. This class has wonderful defenses and can substitute easily if there is not a barb readily available. Their great aoes keep aggro off of clerics and their vortex skill can really help a squad when they want to pull multiple monsters into one place and kill them all at once. Seekers have great debuffs that increase damage to monsters and bosses and it stacks with other debuffs. Their squad buff cost 1 mirage celestone, but it gives the squad +def levels or +attack levels.

PS: I know this is not a end-all-be-all guide, just a rough outline :3 give your opinions on this and help me make this guide better for those to come later! I take all suggestions into consideration so don't be shy!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
~Fear the Fox~

at the end of the day... idc if i'm "pro" or have the best gear... cause i know i'm an awesome veno cause i pour my heart into my character and give her life <3
Post edited by Foxchu - Archosaur on

Comments

• CritCat - Archosaur
    CritCat - Archosaur Posts: 608 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Fifth is the infamous Assassin. These stealthy fish are wonderful for taking aggro and can deal extreme damage with their high APS. while teleporting at long range, they can stealth past hordes of monsters and solo bosses. They may lack the physical defense for tanking, but their highly coveted blood paint skill for melee classes such as the seeker, barb, and BM will surely earn them a spot in most squads.
    Fox.

<3

Edit:Nice guide.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Current Sin Build:
    pwcalc.com/b6540a34278d977d
    Current Wizard Build:
    pwcalc.com/068f7e40791a3be6
  • Abstractive - Archosaur
    Abstractive - Archosaur Posts: 1,232 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    This is so cute. b:cry
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Bodyguard for Secret Passage at your service, now accepting daily installments of just 2.5m for your leisure.
  • StormHydra - Sanctuary
    StormHydra - Sanctuary Posts: 2,221 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    It's kind of sad because a 'normal' PvE squad consists of 5 5APS sins and a cleric
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    |Active: Coalescence - Lost City, Wizard|
    |Inactive: StormHydra - Sanctuary, Archer|
    |Call of Duty: Black Ops|League of Legends|Forsaken World|Perfect World International|The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim|
  • Foxchu - Archosaur
    edited July 2011
    This is so cute. b:cry

what is so cute? o.o just a simple guide on a TRUE PvE squad... not everyone can afford 5aps with BP and solo FC with a sin b:chuckle so if you want a TRUE squad... learn what they can do first b:victory

Edit: @storm: well 5aps only comes after lvl99 when you can get almost full aps gear... so for the beginners out there and those who can't afford aps this is a good guide ^^
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~Fear the Fox~

at the end of the day... idc if i'm "pro" or have the best gear... cause i know i'm an awesome veno cause i pour my heart into my character and give her life <3
  • Ninnuam - Sanctuary
    Ninnuam - Sanctuary Posts: 1,086 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    kk i'ma make this guide here since it seems that no one really understands the role of each other's class in a PvE stand point (for the newer players this will probably help too)

First off is the Barbarian. Buff **** <3

Second is cleric. Rez **** <3

Third is the venomancer. Demon amp and myriad spam or gtfo.

Forth is the Blademaster. 5aps and hf (brownie points for demon hf) <3

Fifth is the infamous Assassin. 5aps and bp <3

Sixth is the archer. 5aps if not enough sins and bms are available. gtfo otherwise.

Seventh is the Wizard. lolwut?

Eighth is the Psychic. lolwut?

Ninth is the Mystic. lolwut?

Finally the Tenth is the seeker. fcc or gtfo

PS: I know this is not a end-all-be-all guide, just a rough outline :3 give your opinions on this and help me make this guide better for those to come later! I take all suggestions into consideration so don't be shy!

Fix'd
    b:dirty
  • Abstractive - Archosaur
    Abstractive - Archosaur Posts: 1,232 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    what is so cute? o.o just a simple guide on a TRUE PvE squad... not everyone can afford 5aps with BP and solo FC with a sin b:chuckle so if you want a TRUE squad... learn what they can do first b:victory

Ugh...sweety, I wasn't trolling. Cute oldschool guide.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Bodyguard for Secret Passage at your service, now accepting daily installments of just 2.5m for your leisure.
  • Foxchu - Archosaur
    edited July 2011
    Ugh...sweety, I wasn't trolling. Cute oldschool guide.

ty... this is how the squads where meant to function... aps with BP kinda screwed it all up... hopefully there are a few newer members of PW that actually take the time to learn their class and this guide should help them :3
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~Fear the Fox~

• Ninnuam - Sanctuary
    Ninnuam - Sanctuary Posts: 1,086 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    ty... this is how the squads where meant to function...

Exactly. Emphasis on the past tense. As in two years ago.
    aps with BP kinda screwed it all up...

Exactly. Which is why your opening post makes as much sense as two dead flies.
    hopefully there are a few newer members of PW that actually take the time to learn their class and this guide should help them :3

There ARE no "new members of PW". What you think are new members are actually alt characters of people who are still here, 90% of which don't leave fcc, apart from when they want to troll a bh or two.
    b:dirty
  • Foxchu - Archosaur
    edited July 2011

There ARE no "new members of PW". What you think are new members are actually alt characters of people who are still here, 90% of which don't leave fcc, apart from when they want to troll a bh or two.

ok really? why so harsh? just cause you where butt hurt by a sin sticking his daggers in to deep too many times doesn't give you any reason to not understand the importance of knowing another class's abilities. countless times i've been unable to get an FC because of the fact i was not a "BM, barb, sin, cleric, or seeker/wiz/archer" i'm explaining to EVERYONE the good things about all the classes. so instead of trying to undermine the importance of informing people about other classes shut your yap and see how much work i put into it. if you can't do that then go troll somewhere else cause no one else wants to hear it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~Fear the Fox~

• JanusZeal - Heavens Tear
    JanusZeal - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,852 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Two very important things left out:

Venomancers -- physical attack and magic attack combination. It's the only magic class built for both. Pointing out it's versatility in these regards I think is sufficient.

Mystics -- they are not merely debuffers or second healers to clerics in PVE. Quite often they are the healers. Both sage and demon can purify, more frequently, the sage version, and can reduce the damage taken against the entire squad (warp shield) or one person (aegis/martyr). Their pets, while not tanks, can do quite a bit of damage, substantially more than any veno pet can. They aren't quite as versatile as veno's but nearly.

Archer -- can do heavy fist DPS, while not having a fist weapon mastery, has their blazing arrow buff to aid in doing more than sufficient close-ranged damage.

Psychic -- Can dramatically increase their own attack damage or defense (voodoo buffs). The reason psychics are preferred is due mainly to their DPS and defensive support opposed to the higher wiz DPH/ultis.

Otherwise, as far as basic, simple "roles" go, this is generally what people will expect to find.
  • LilNai - Harshlands
    LilNai - Harshlands Posts: 481 Arc User
    edited July 2011

Why couldnt you just read it and smile, remembering the good old days when this was all true? You're ****ing ruining it b:sad
  • CritCat - Archosaur
    CritCat - Archosaur Posts: 608 Arc User
    edited July 2011

I'd like to see you write a better guide.b:cute
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Current Sin Build:
    pwcalc.com/b6540a34278d977d
    Current Wizard Build:
    pwcalc.com/068f7e40791a3be6
  • Foxchu - Archosaur
    edited July 2011
    Two very important things left out:

Venomancers -- physical attack and magic attack combination. It's the only magic class built for both. Pointing out it's versatility in these regards I think is sufficient.

Mystics -- they are not merely debuffers or second healers to clerics in PVE. Quite often they are the healers. Both sage and demon can purify, more frequently, the sage version, and can reduce the damage taken against the entire squad (warp shield) or one person (aegis/martyr). Their pets, while not tanks, can do quite a bit of damage, substantially more than any veno pet can. They aren't quite as versatile as veno's but nearly.

Otherwise, as far as basic, simple "roles" go, this is generally what people will expect to find.

Ty for pointing out the mystic skills for me (i don't know much about the class cause no body has told me what those extra skills do for their summons). as for the veno class... there is a lot a veno can do... hell venos can even be sub tanks with the right armor/gear, but most venos prefer arcane so i left out physical attacking deliberately. i'll make changes when i have time :3
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~Fear the Fox~

• OontzOontz - Dreamweaver
    OontzOontz - Dreamweaver Posts: 782 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Only thing that matters at endgame:

Sin - DD/tank

Everyone else - support/buffs
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • bluetopaz8
    bluetopaz8 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    ty... this is how the squads where meant to function... aps with BP kinda screwed it all up... hopefully there are a few newer members of PW that actually take the time to learn their class and this guide should help them :3

Thank you for this. I am a new player crawling along but enjoying it... I hope these actual squads don't completely go extinct :/
  • SilvaZodiac - Heavens Tear
    SilvaZodiac - Heavens Tear Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    As far as I understand, this is a good guide, and applies to most squads throughout the game.

The only constructive criticism I can make (and that someone rudely implied) is that it doesn't apply at endgame.

That's true (partly, sort of, since most of the skills and buffs mentioned in the guide are still used), but most of the game is before endgame. Even if you powerlevel (and frankly, I find it a blight on the game and on people's skills at endgame to do so), FF squads from 75 and up still demand an understanding of basic pre-5APS mechanics.

The only suggestion I could make regarding improving the guide is a note on the weaknesses of each potential squad member. You might not take this idea up and keep the guide more positive: I can see the benefits for that in people's enjoyment of the game as well.
  • Hexalot - Dreamweaver
    Hexalot - Dreamweaver Posts: 871 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    You know... I had to check the date on the OP's post twice to make sure this wasn't a necro from 2009. b:avoid

But in all seriousness, I applaud the effort in spelling out the traditional roles of the various classes in the typical squad make up. However, you would better serve the new players reading your guide by informing them that those roles you spell out no longer apply as you approach 100. For example, most Barbs have trouble keeping aggro after lvl 90 and the DD's stealing aggro don't even have their full complement of interval gear yet.
  • Ilenka - Harshlands
    Ilenka - Harshlands Posts: 99 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Idk why people is talking so much about end game... hello this is a mmorpg with no end... no finale... there is nothing to achieve really besides getting full nirvana recast and +12 in everything with the event ornaments or fly and end your cultivation quest.... after you do all this what else you do? build another char and build it with the help of your main until you get the other the same and so on...
    If people think that sins and bms and cleric (sometimes) are the only way to go "end game" leave it be... that doesnt mean the whole server is like that... and pretty much people with that thought are dicks that you dont wanna party with.

Im an archer and i got r8 and 5 aps atm. Many people would tell me r8 for archers isnt enough... that i should r9 or gtfo... well im not a slave of that people as to expend coins and RL money in that... (merchanting it through coins seems impossible to me so far) if with my r8 i can do pretty much all the pve stuff im required to. I just dont mind that people and go squad with someone else. And ofc all the traditional squads could also do that, but people is so urged to get all so freaking fast that they dont wanna take other people but aps.

I dont know how much time those aps +10 people are gonna play the game, after you acquire all that is available... how much time you can play without getting bored... (reminds me of HeadTrauma... where could he be now?) .. myself i already got bored of 100 and im building alts. I got so much fun in that, running low level bhs, learning what each class do to the max (im looking at all their skills and testing my solo survability with each of them) this is my way of having fun.

This is a game. If people like Ninnuam, are gonna come here to discourage others from building something besides sins thats just sick and it proves his ignorance. Everyone should do what class they want and depends on what you do and who you squad with to get or not your stuff.

For the thread maker i think this is a very good way of putting it. Traditional roles, yes. Which means they still work for today. It might not be as fast as a 5 sins 1 cleric squad (thinkin on nirvana only, you cant do that in gv for example) but i really rather take 20 more minutes for 1 run instead of running a 10 minutes run with 5 dickheads.. ijs
  • Dethprowl - Raging Tide
    Dethprowl - Raging Tide Posts: 411 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Only thing that matters at endgame:

Sin - DD/tank

Everyone else - support/buffs

LOL, your right. I even had squads tell me not to take aggro from the sin.

I think that once you hit 100 it should be required that you have to reroll a sin. No other toon is considered useful outside of TW after that.

May I request a game name change to Sin World?
  • JanusZeal - Heavens Tear
    JanusZeal - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,852 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Idk why people is talking so much about end game... hello this is a mmorpg with no end
    The problem is on your end -- you're taking a figure of speech, i.e. a metaphor, "endgame", literally.
  • Chickpea - Lost City
    Chickpea - Lost City Posts: 165 Arc User
    edited July 2011

Why would you post a guide on how squads "where meant to function" and not how they function in reality? I doubt any new players are interested in outdated guides. If i start playing a new MMO i dont give a **** about how people in the game did PvE 2-3 years ago, i want fresh facts and inside information on what goes on right now.

I guess for level 3X-8X those squad-roles you listed still applies, but it should be in the beginners section. Or maybe not. You can already find links to basic guides like this in beginners forum <_<
  • Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973
    Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973 Posts: 7,881 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    This thread should be renamed to:

"The role of each class in the levels that everyone skips over with hypered FCC"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Refining Simulator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/refiningsimulator.html (don't use IE)
    Genie Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/geniecalculator.html - (don't use IE)
    Socket Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/socketcalculator.html
  • tweakz
    tweakz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    There's no 5 aps sin.b:bye
    Be kind: Help the GMs to depopulate the servers.
  • Yuniryu - Raging Tide
    Yuniryu - Raging Tide Posts: 516 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Idk why people is talking so much about end game... hello this is a mmorpg with no end... no finale... there is nothing to achieve really besides getting full nirvana recast and +12 in everything with the event ornaments or fly and end your cultivation quest.... after you do all this what else you do? build another char and build it with the help of your main until you get the other the same and so on...
    If people think that sins and bms and cleric (sometimes) are the only way to go "end game" leave it be... that doesnt mean the whole server is like that... and pretty much people with that thought are dicks that you dont wanna party with.

Im an archer and i got r8 and 5 aps atm. Many people would tell me r8 for archers isnt enough... that i should r9 or gtfo... well im not a slave of that people as to expend coins and RL money in that... (merchanting it through coins seems impossible to me so far) if with my r8 i can do pretty much all the pve stuff im required to. I just dont mind that people and go squad with someone else. And ofc all the traditional squads could also do that, but people is so urged to get all so freaking fast that they dont wanna take other people but aps.

I dont know how much time those aps +10 people are gonna play the game, after you acquire all that is available... how much time you can play without getting bored... (reminds me of HeadTrauma... where could he be now?) .. myself i already got bored of 100 and im building alts. I got so much fun in that, running low level bhs, learning what each class do to the max (im looking at all their skills and testing my solo survability with each of them) this is my way of having fun.

This is a game. If people like Ninnuam, are gonna come here to discourage others from building something besides sins thats just sick and it proves his ignorance. Everyone should do what class they want and depends on what you do and who you squad with to get or not your stuff.

For the thread maker i think this is a very good way of putting it. Traditional roles, yes. Which means they still work for today. It might not be as fast as a 5 sins 1 cleric squad (thinkin on nirvana only, you cant do that in gv for example) but i really rather take 20 more minutes for 1 run instead of running a 10 minutes run with 5 dickheads.. ijs

I agree. :D. Thats why i am seeker and probably only going to be seeker. For me getting rank 8 on seeker at least is enough for me for now. I dont have the time or patience to train up a boring farmin alt which i am not going to enjoy. I rather struggle and have fun then to play something that i dont want to play with :).b:pleased

More to life then Nirvana and TT 3 -x XD for me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]