Archer, Barb or...?

kububububu
kububububu Posts: 28 Arc User
edited September 2011 in Archer
Hello,
I'm starting to play once again.
I'm not used to "new" things yet, but still wanting to learn.
I spent most of my Perfect World time in PW-MY version in 2008.

Today I want to start playing again, with my gf.
She's gonna roll a cleric.

I'm wondering: what to choose?
I thought old team: cler + barb, but I managed to get barb up to 19 today, and hey - it's kinda boring. I hate slow killing, it pisses me off.
Maybe I should suck on it, and go through, so we can quest together quite easly soon, but yet - it's boring.

I thought: maybe a DD? It'll be needed in squads with cleric also.
So what to choose these days? Archers still that good?
Or maybe something new? Like assassin, seeker or psychic?

Could You guys help me out?
I want to do quests with her as a cleric later on mid and high lvls, but is barb the only logical choice? ; d
Post edited by kububububu on

Comments

• WorryEasykil - Dreamweaver
    WorryEasykil - Dreamweaver Posts: 179 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    kububububu wrote: »
    Hello,
    I'm starting to play once again.
    I'm not used to "new" things yet, but still wanting to learn.
    I spent most of my Perfect World time in PW-MY version in 2008.

Today I want to start playing again, with my gf.
    She's gonna roll a cleric.

I'm wondering: what to choose?
    I thought old team: cler + barb, but I managed to get barb up to 19 today, and hey - it's kinda boring. I hate slow killing, it pisses me off.
    Maybe I should suck on it, and go through, so we can quest together quite easly soon, but yet - it's boring.

I thought: maybe a DD? It'll be needed in squads with cleric also.
    So what to choose these days? Archers still that good?
    Or maybe something new? Like assassin, seeker or psychic?

Could You guys help me out?
    I want to do quests with her as a cleric later on mid and high lvls, but is barb the only logical choice? ; d

If you like to kill quickly, and plan questing with your GF, a Sin is a pretty good choice. If you can gear it properly and have a dedicated healer, then you can go very far indeed. For Power leveling, you will need a good Barb and BM friend which would see you through end game very quickly.

Barb/Cleric marriage is as viable as it ever was. If you plan on leveling quickly, this is also the very best combination as it will make it very easy to grind exp in Frostcovered City. Those two classes are the hardest to come by for that instance (any instance really) Along with a BM, you could easily get squads for multiple runs. Learn how and when to hyper stone, and you could easily make level 100 within a month or two.

But for sheer fun factor, an Archer still has a large roll. I've finally gotten mine to level 100 and I do love it b:laugh

Alternatively, The BM is still the single most versatile class and highly desired in a wide variety of game modes. The Seeker is a very close second.

Quite a few things have changed since the MY days. APS is the big craze these days. Rank gear/weapons are worth striving for

I would suggest reading each classes forums and make your decision then. Every class has it's highs and lows, it just depends on your play style. Whatever you decide, welcome back to the game and good hunting to you! b:victory
  • DeathenShada - Archosaur
    DeathenShada - Archosaur Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Archer -cough cough-

It's fun I've played every class in pwi at least to level 40 others to 65+ and so far archer is funnest for me. long range, crits, aeos :D
  • kububububu
    edited July 2011
    I plan to quest with my gf as a cleric 90% ot the time, so maybe something which kills faster will be better?
    A seeker maybe? Cuz from a hear a sin isn't good until u've got a lot of cash ; d
    Aren't ranged characters faster with killing? Like 3 agi 2 str EA who can shoot & fight with fists in close range? Or maybe that new thing - a seeker? Can he tank a bit and still doeas good dmg?

PS: With all that aps going around - casters are worse thses days?
  • Vindis - Dreamweaver
    Vindis - Dreamweaver Posts: 614 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Sounds like you want a seeker. Decent damage and can tank. Range too. Good aoe.

Archers are good but frail until endgame. Always a good teammate with a cleric though. I would say don't go fists, just roll a sin/fist bm instead. Fist archers fail it pretty hard at end game and alot of people are finally catching onto that (at least on my server; Pure dex->TW; Aps -> pve? lmao pve is **** easy before aps)

But yeah I would say a seeker or an archer, though a sin wouldnt be out of the question, though Im uncertain of any high synergies between clerics and sins (besides the cleric having to heal melees less because of BP)

Ideally I would say Barb+Cleric is the best combo because everything else is easy to find (except wizzies for delta lol). I started a barb with my brother's mystic and I can't lie past 40 its been a lot of fun so far.

Also ignore the aps craze. With time and effort casters are better than anything else (TW->pvp). Psys/Wiz/Veno are all wanted. Sure aps wont let you nirvy, but **** them lol. Form your own squad and get it done like I do ;D (pve is still super easy without aps)
    Ring Engraving/Amulet Carving Guide - pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1174451

Retired from PWI.

b:bye
  • kububububu
    edited July 2011
    barb can tank TT at 60lvl, but can seeker do it?

We're at 22lvl right now (me barb and my gf cler) - it's easy to do quests, killing mobs isn't a big deal, but hey - it's slow ; S
    With sin or something it'd be faster, but a lot faster?

Or maybe 2nd cleric? 2 clers at TT teams aren't bad, right? and later?
    or that's not a good idea...

How things are later? when it's zhen/aoe squads? how does it look these days, I mean: I always preferred to stay and shoot as a mage/archer instead of running around as lurer.
  • Angelsnipe - Dreamweaver
    Angelsnipe - Dreamweaver Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Archer -cough cough-

It's fun I've played every class in pwi at least to level 40 others to 65+ and so far archer is funnest for me. long range, crits, aeos :D

Yeah, i lvl'd my archer to 34 today and i must say it's fun to play :)
    It can be hard sometimes (i died A LOT around lvl 30).
    But its still fun i lvl'd all the characters (yes also mystic and seeker) to 20 and my venomancer even to 50. But the fact is... a veno lvl's fast but for me it's BORING! With the archer you look cool, hit A LOT,... What you want more? And at least you don't need to put 200$ to get the hercules pet.
  • Miugre - Heavens Tear
    Miugre - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    I'd ignore the aps-related talk, OP. Yeah casters have been marginalized, but we don't need any more sins. There are already a million of them, because people just want to solo and break the game instead of actually playing in a team anymore.

As an archer who quested with a cleric 90% of the time like you did, let me say that you'll do fine. :P Obviously questing will be easy enough, but on bosses you'll still need a tank. If you want to duo instances that badly, I suggest making a barb on a second account (since using two characters at once is okay now) and using that as your tank.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Yes, I'm still a stubborn holdout in favor of the old game. Haters gonna hate. ;]

Other Active Characters:
    LigerKing (Barb), Girasole (BM), Shamsheer (Sin), ArborSoul (Mystic).
  • Sarrafeline - Sanctuary
    Sarrafeline - Sanctuary Posts: 4,661 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Leveling with an Archer is as fast as it gets. I mean, seriously, doing quests, you will PewPew right up to 65 before you know it.

Barb is the slowest, but... It's really not that bad. It's not much worse than Cleric or BM or Seeker. Seeker, I found, was worse from 1-20. Hell, Archer is harder from 1-20.

Only problem I see with barb is they become useless at endgame, except for TW. Archer can do TW or Nirvana or whatever. Unless you want to use claws for endgame, you probably won't get invited to Nirvana on your Barb.
    101 Sage Sin*/Archer
    100 Demon BM*/Barb
    96 Demon Cleric/Sage Seeker
    95 Demon Wiz/
    94 Sage Veno
    85 Psy/80 Mystic
    And a handful of other alts, all 79 and under.
    *Pre RB level
  • Channman - Lost City
    Channman - Lost City Posts: 491 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    while i love my archer and really enjoy playing it and most people i say you should play archer i think seeker would be better for you and people want them just as much as a bm or barb
  • Must - Lost City
    Must - Lost City Posts: 555 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    If you have the money go fist/axe barb, you kill things fast on quests and you both will never be worried to get a bh squad,, since u only need dds.

Later on fc(lvls 80s) u will get squads in a blink and again if u have the money at lvl 90 u will **** with fists....

Even at low lvls using fists kill mobs faster(kiling 1 by 1) and the best part is u will not waste mp pots with fists
  • MoonUsagi - Heavens Tear
    MoonUsagi - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,377 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    ^ I suppose it official now that barb must do fist / claw build now. b:lipcurl Or be forgotten later, other than for the buff slave.

If op have money or can make money, play AssAssIn or BM. b:lipcurl
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Sorry i speak engrish b:chuckle
    Nickname doesn't have anything to do with sailor but related to a folklore
    Use search, it was your best friends to avoid many suffering in internet...
  • OiOOio - Raging Tide
    OiOOio - Raging Tide Posts: 180 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Seekers are the mana monsters of the Tank classes so make sure you are prepared to spend coin on mana pots.
  • DaKillanator - Raging Tide
    DaKillanator - Raging Tide Posts: 2,965 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    I'd roll a seeker. They're more wanted for squads, and you and your wife will be wanted for FC squads

btw what server you rolling on? Jw b:cute
  • InstinctvVv - Heavens Tear
    InstinctvVv - Heavens Tear Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Derp! b:shocked