Game crashes when AFK

Options
Shandaar - Dreamweaver
Shandaar - Dreamweaver Posts: 196 Arc User
edited July 2011 in Support Desk
Hi hi!

Since the latest patch, I've had problems where my game will crash - as in "the process is not even running anymore when I check on it" - when I leave it AFK for some hours.

I often leave my catshop AFK when I'm at work. I access my home PC with my laptop via TeamViewer. At first I thought I had minimized my window or sent the client to the tasktray, but it turns out the whole process is not running anymore, which means the client completely crashed.

This morning, I left home at about 7:50am EST. When I logged on TeamViewer to check on my sales at 11:35am or so, my client had crashed. This is the 3rd day it occurs, and as I'm gone roughly 10 hours on weekdays, it's several hours without possible sales...

I live alone, so there's no possibility someone manually exits the game. Occurs also at night when I'm asleep.

Thanks for your help!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by Shandaar - Dreamweaver on

Comments

• darthpanda16
    darthpanda16 Posts: 9,471 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Here are my suggestions:

Check to see if Windows has firewall/antivirus scans scheduled to occur at a set time overnight (or to run Defrag at a set time).

Check any other antivirus or firewall software for the same thing, and disable it, or have it set to do it every few days/weekly instead.

Also, check your power saving settings like Hibernate and Sleep modes, disable them. If the mainboard or harddrive gets powered down, the game isn't going to keep running.

ISPs also like to reboot their systems at random point overnight sometimes long enough to kill your game connection.

Hope that helps. If you need further help feel free to send us a ticket to Tech Support and we'll try to hep you more b:victory
    Do you need help learning about patching the game, installing it, changing antivirus/firewall settings, changing network settings, learn how to use a computer, keeping your PC maintained and more?
    Visit our BRAND NEW Knowledge Base & Support Website! - Tech Support Flowchart - Panda Caught on Camera
  • Shandaar - Dreamweaver
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Check to see if Windows has firewall/antivirus scans scheduled to occur at a set time overnight (or to run Defrag at a set time).

My antivirus runs are on Sundays late at night XD.

Check any other antivirus or firewall software for the same thing, and disable it, or have it set to do it every few days/weekly instead.

I've disabled my firewalls long ago. Had WAY too many problems with them installed DX.

Also, check your power saving settings like Hibernate and Sleep modes, disable them. If the mainboard or harddrive gets powered down, the game isn't going to keep running.

Sleepmode has always been disabled on my home PC, as well as extended sleep mode / hibernate. Only my laptop has them enabled to save battery power. PWI has no issues with my laptop, only my home desktop PC.

ISPs also like to reboot their systems at random point overnight sometimes long enough to kill your game connection.

These are NOT disconnects. These are crashes. The game client (elementclient.exe) is not present either in the task bar, the task tray, and is not shown as running anymore in the task manager (CTRL+ALT+DEL). If they were disconnects, I'd get the usual "You have been disconnected from the game <Confirm>" and my client would still be up, albeit disconnected.

I monitor my home PC with TeamViewer, but I need to on break to use it. I don't know what causes the crashes, as they occur when I'm NOT monitoring my home PC... I'm actually surprised it hasn't crashed between my lunch break (1:30pm) to when I logged on my home PC again (3:30).

So I'm guessing I'll have to forward this to the support.

I'm wondering, however, if other people had crashing issues.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SylenThunder - Twilight Temple
    edited July 2011
    Options
    If you minimize the client, this happens. It's been a recurring issue for as long as I can remember. There truly is nothing you can do about it, it's some bug in the code.

When you minimize the game, it stops polling your video card and such and the client slows to half speed. Apparently there is some issue with this occurring for an extended period of time and it causes the client to just close out. Considering that the original engine wasn't even written for multi-core processors and the dev's don't have a cule about the source code, it's not something you'll ever see fixed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Shandaar - Dreamweaver
    edited July 2011
    Options
    If you minimize the client, this happens. It's been a recurring issue for as long as I can remember. There truly is nothing you can do about it, it's some bug in the code.

When you minimize the game, it stops polling your video card and such and the client slows to half speed. Apparently there is some issue with this occurring for an extended period of time and it causes the client to just close out. Considering that the original engine wasn't even written for multi-core processors and the dev's don't have a cule about the source code, it's not something you'll ever see fixed.

The game isn't minimized when I close TeamViewer. The focus remains on PWI's window, or whatever window I had focus on when I close TV. So it's not that either.

Still, thanks for warning me about this XD. I had no idea.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]