How to tank as a Seeker?

Options
beforesun
beforesun Posts: 42 Arc User
edited July 2011 in Seeker
Hey, I have a question to the more expirienced seekers out there: When you are the tank in a party, how do you keep the agro?? I mean is the only way to keep agro using vortex or is there another combo you can suggest to keep the agro?
Post edited by beforesun on

Comments

• Valkyrie_Sw - Archosaur
    Valkyrie_Sw - Archosaur Posts: 186 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Options
    use jones blessing(idk if the issue has been fixed or not)
    put more points on STR
    put flawless/imma/any Garnet shards into gears
    if you still having troubles at tanking
    then maybe you vortex lv/Str points is too low
    Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak
  • digitalpulse
    digitalpulse Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Options
    If you're tanking don't forget to debuff with heart shatter. That should give your vortex additional damage to help keep aggro.
  • Valkyrie_Sw - Archosaur
    Valkyrie_Sw - Archosaur Posts: 186 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Options
    heart shatter only lasts for a while
    for zhenning,if you want to heart shatter only the vastclaw/whole mobs
    it'd be pretty useless,and you have to stop your vortex on halfway,and to fill chi before starting over
    Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak
  • digitalpulse
    edited July 2011
    Options
    OP was talking about tanking and keeping aggro NOT zhenning! For zhenning, vortex is more than enough to keep aggro on all the mobs.

In boss fights, debuff with heart shatter. Yes, it only lasts for a while but a maxed out heart shatter = 10 min. 10 min should be a lot of time to take down a boss. Please be pro and apply heart shatter on bosses especially when you are the tank. IT is NOT useless.
  • Deceptistar - Sanctuary
    Deceptistar - Sanctuary Posts: 10,454 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Options
    OP was talking about tanking and keeping aggro NOT zhenning! For zhenning, vortex is more than enough to keep aggro on all the mobs.

In boss fights, debuff with heart shatter. Yes, it only lasts for a while but a maxed out heart shatter = 10 min. 10 min should be a lot of time to take down a boss. Please be pro and apply heart shatter on bosses especially when you are the tank. IT is NOT useless.
    you do understand that with other melee in the team, that debuff also works for their attacks too right? that basically makes it plus and minus = 0

as far as skill combo is concerned, depends on whos in your squad. if u got anywhere of a 4.0-5.0 fister, then u might as well just give up >_> get something that wont die easily and see which combos can circulate fastest and auto loop it. Or if u got sage sword, and some -interval gear, u can DPS it a little, assuming your squad isnt full of lv100s
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]lagunal8.deviantart.com
    ★"New weekly quests! "Discover the bug in the patch""-Nihillae★"My father would beat me if he found out I was QQing over a virtual pony."-Neurosis★"You're amongst the biggest blobs of fail I've ever seen in my life."-Ninnuam★"A statistic said 3% people of the world get enjoyment primarily from making people upset, and you are trying to discriminate them"-ilystah★["How To Tank Rebirth Order Delta (86+)"-Stickygreen Barb (1)restat. you want full magic, Arcane armour build (2)when mobs come /faceroll on your keyboard and you will one shot all the mobs (3)rinse and repeat]★"I've been spammed with 3 poops for 2 hours."-ColdSteele★"If someone fights learning, I don't bother with them outside of amusement factor."-Telarith★"This thread is a joke right? Please say yes."-eatwithspoons★ "This is why you don't post your opinions on the internet, most of the replies you get will be from people who missed a hug or two sometime in their youth."-Alacol★"Sexy! A post with a Binomial Distribution."-Asterelle★"It's about time PW starts to separate out the noob Sins from the rest."-salvati0n★"Shoo troll >:O"-TheDan
  • digitalpulse
    edited July 2011
    Options
    you do understand that with other melee in the team, that debuff also works for their attacks too right? that basically makes it plus and minus = 0

as far as skill combo is concerned, depends on whos in your squad. if u got anywhere of a 4.0-5.0 fister, then u might as well just give up >_> get something that wont die easily and see which combos can circulate fastest and auto loop it. Or if u got sage sword, and some -interval gear, u can DPS it a little, assuming your squad isnt full of lv100s

Don't worry heart shatter does not affect auto attacks. The debuff only works for physical and metal skills. My point is that: even though it will affect other skills, it is still best to apply heart shatter. It will help. >.>

However, Deceptistar is correct that when you are in squad with 4-5 aps people, it will be difficult for you to keep aggro.
  • YomaYoki - Dreamweaver
    YomaYoki - Dreamweaver Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Options
    If you are able to maintain constant vortex by using an MP charm or Herbs, that is your best bet for holding aggro. I will agree that heart shatter is VERY useful, however its usually a bad idea to open with heart shatter because IH aggro > heart shatter aggro. So, battousai> blade affinity> heart shatter > vortex is pretty much your best bet as far as holding aggro.

With that being said Battousai is NOT flesh ream, and its worth telling your squad to hold off on attacking before they see you have vortex up and running...especially important on runner bosses like Fushma or Stygean for example.

With that being said if you CANNOT maintain constant vortex for whatever reason its probably best just not to tank. As a seeker your single target DPS does not compare with pure DD classes like archer/wiz/psy and NOTHING holds aggro off 4/5 APS. Tanking without vortex is possible but squads these days generally don't have the patience for the amount of aggro control that it requires.
  • Hazumi_chan - Sanctuary
    Hazumi_chan - Sanctuary Posts: 1,264 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Options
    I usually squad with the same group of ppl, and generally speaking on bosses I'm the tank.
    Group consists off a cleric, psy and me. Sometimes a mystic and soon another seeker.
    I usually start off with gemini soon as it procs, then NSW and heartshatter before I put up vortex.
    Also, if you want to tank, get alpha male for those oh shi- moments...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Tomoe_ - Sanctuary
    Tomoe_ - Sanctuary Posts: 71 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Options
    skills that make me hold aggro (not all the time though) northern sky waltz buff > battousai> staggering strike>rock splitting cleave . . battousai increases ur threat level, by not much but still.. staggering strike for bonus damage when NSW procs, rock splitting cleave. . well its ur second fastest hitting/cooldown skill -.- . . it's not bad to auto attack sometimes (not all the time) if u have r8 (crit boost add on r8 weapon is great). . (based on bh experiences with fister classes, and lower aps sins)

< (not a vortex fanatic with single mobs/bosses, waste of mana xD)
  • Hazumi_chan - Sanctuary
    Hazumi_chan - Sanctuary Posts: 1,264 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Options
    I personally don't even bother to keep agro that much on normal mobs... I aoe them and make sure I hit all mobs so I can get a safe heal.

If the DD's can't handle the mobs they pull agro on, they should be more carefull... I'm not a barb after all. ><

Only times I'm carefull atm to keep agro is in rebirth beta and on bosses...

<we didn't get far in beta though.. the slow wave got us(we didn't know what the hell was gonna come anyway) and the second time I got 1k'd x.x damn boomer mobs>
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]