cleric stats

theresamarie
theresamarie Posts: 0 Arc User
edited June 2011 in Cleric
hi!am tryin 2 figure out where to put my points 4 my cleric,shes lvl86 &im abit confused,any help welcome!!
Post edited by theresamarie on

Comments

• Decus - Dreamweaver
    Decus - Dreamweaver Posts: 5,033 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Level 86 and you are unsure where to stat points...?
    This must be a troll, unless you have specific gear in mind. If so, please be more descriptive.

If not, then reading stickies is always nice.
    Proving that not only archers do math since 2009. b:victory
    Current math challenge: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1029711&page=45
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Any skills that can be used to kill you will interrupt BB when successful." -truekossy | "...Sage archers are kind of like Mac owners. They are proud of the weirdest and most unnecessary things." -Aesthor | "We ALL know Jesus doesn't play PWI. He may have suffered a lot for humanity, but he'd NEVER punish himself this way." -Abstractive | "I approve of bananas." -SashaGray
  • Elenacostel - Heavens Tear
    Elenacostel - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,822 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Actually, I have a similar question.

- The sticky says that you can put in 3 Vit every two levels for a "balanced" build. 1-2 vit per two levels for an "offensive" build.
    - JanusZeal stated recently here that 100 Vit at level 100 is not a good idea.

I'm not trying to call out JanusZeal or anything. I'm honestly wondering which advice is better. Perhaps the guide is outdated? Do things change at 100? Is it just a matter of differing opinions?

My cleric is in the 70s, so I am ignorant of endgame cleric situations. Also, I'm PvE only, so PvP aspects of stat building would not apply to me.
  • Miugre - Heavens Tear
    Miugre - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited June 2011

- The sticky says that you can put in 3 Vit every two levels for a "balanced" build. 1-2 vit per two levels for an "offensive" build.

I'm not trying to call out JanusZeal or anything. I'm honestly wondering which advice is better. Perhaps the guide is outdated? Do things change at 100? Is it just a matter of differing opinions?

My cleric is in the 70s, so I am ignorant of endgame cleric situations. Also, I'm PvE only, so PvP aspects of stat building would not apply to me.
    To be fair, with the exception of barbs, nobody ever seems to recommend vit or hybrid builds for any class anymore. Frankly, I think it's just becoming more dogma than advice.

Which is not to say that he wasn't right (idk if he is any more than you... but as with so many other things of that nature, it probably depends on the gear refines). To be honest, I'm just giving that cleric 100 vit because I've never had a character with that much, and I want to experiment with it. :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Yes, I'm still a stubborn holdout in favor of the old game. Haters gonna hate. ;]

Other Active Characters:
    LigerKing (Barb), Girasole (BM), Shamsheer (Sin), ArborSoul (Mystic).
  • Eoria - Harshlands
    Eoria - Harshlands Posts: 6,118 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    If you do not have good gear to back it up, full mag is ****ing useless on a cleric. A cleric's main job is to survive and heal. You can't do any healing if you're a one-shot. b:bye
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"subtraction has the butt of an angel" - Paulrogers
    I <3 Subtraction.
    /blatant sig copy is blatant

105/105/105 obtained! b:cute
  • AriesBreath - Raging Tide
    AriesBreath - Raging Tide Posts: 689 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    If you do not have good gear to back it up, full mag is ****ing useless on a cleric. A cleric's main job is to survive and heal. You can't do any healing if you're a one-shot. b:bye

This. I personally played as pure magic my entire Pwi life, and I've done fine, but I wouldn't recommend it to people who don't farm/merchant/swipe/gold dig a bunch. Pure magic gives you better heals, but if you can't compensate your hp with your gear, you should add vit. This holds true especially in this r8/r9 era.

Just so i don't sound like a hypocrite, I'm pure magic with 3 vit, and I've got 7.7k hp unbuffed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Decus - Dreamweaver
    edited June 2011

Vit has never been required as a cleric. It is up to you to stat as much as you feel comfortable. If you cannot do your job well with your current HP, that means either you need to choose better gear (or shard/refine differently) or you should add more vit. I have always had 20, and never had any problem in any PvE activity. (That includes old Lunar too, lol!) At 100, the only major addition is Nirvana, and the same rules apply there for base stats that apply in other late-9x PvE.

That being the case, the guide is outdated and could use some revisions. (I mean, it still calls CHB "Soon, the Light") One day, one of us will put something together that is far more current and more pleasant to read. Elena, your sub-forum, in that and many regards, is FAR superior. I still think the stat distribution options are all viable (if somewhat wordy), though.
    This. I personally played as pure magic my entire Pwi life, and I've done fine, but I wouldn't recommend it to people who don't farm/merchant/swipe/gold dig a bunch. Pure magic gives you better heals, but if you can't compensate your hp with your gear, you should add vit. This holds true especially in this r8/r9 era.

Just so i don't sound like a hypocrite, I'm pure magic with 3 vit, and I've got 7.7k hp unbuffed.

^ Frankly, that's true regardless of stat distribution. Poor gear --> poor survivability --> useless cleric. I understand your position, though.
    Current math challenge: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1029711&page=45
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Any skills that can be used to kill you will interrupt BB when successful." -truekossy | "...Sage archers are kind of like Mac owners. They are proud of the weirdest and most unnecessary things." -Aesthor | "We ALL know Jesus doesn't play PWI. He may have suffered a lot for humanity, but he'd NEVER punish himself this way." -Abstractive | "I approve of bananas." -SashaGray
  • JanusZeal - Heavens Tear
    JanusZeal - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,852 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    To be fair, with the exception of barbs, nobody ever seems to recommend vit or hybrid builds for any class anymore. Frankly, I think it's just becoming more dogma than advice.

Which is not to say that he wasn't right (idk if he is any more than you... but as with so many other things of that nature, it probably depends on the gear refines). To be honest, I'm just giving that cleric 100 vit because I've never had a character with that much, and I want to experiment with it. :P
    It is advice because any cleric endgame should have sufficient skill and gear to have well over 6K buffed with pure magic. It only takes solo healing Nirvana and 3-3 yourself, as well as having a multitude of clerics healing you, asking what their magic and vit are, to understand how much weaker a vit build cleric is. Unlike more diverse classes such as a veno, who can easily stat HA/AA or LA and be just as effective, everything a cleric does involves magic, therefore less magic = bad.

Vit as a cleric is good advice early on, especially when people in PW used to level at a slower and more moderate pace *raises hand*, and that's when survivability is an issue, however, survivability at endgame is easily achieved by refines and shards, something not as plausible to do early on. There's no excuse for relying that heavily on vitality endgame.

I can't tell you even as a barb in FF I've ran into heavily statted vit clerics only to be killed because their healing power was so weak. In other squads, I've seen cleric BB heals weak enough to kill a barb at Holeen, however, one cleric loved boasting about having 7,000 HP at 90 being heavily vit. At some point one has to recognize that skill is a huge factor in playing a cleric, and survivability all depends on their ability to get decent get and play their class. My wife has been doing duo Nirvana with a base 4600 HP and roughly 500 magic with gear. Strangely, she has no issue surviving even standing next to bosses especially when utilizing plume shell. This is, once again, where a cleric's skill is their survivability, not lazily and cheaply relying on vitality.
  • Sakubatou - Sanctuary
    Sakubatou - Sanctuary Posts: 4,001 Arc User
    edited June 2011

Perhaps the guide is outdated? Do things change at 100? Is it just a matter of differing opinions?

Vitality builds tend to lean more towards pvp clerics. TW support/pk clerics. Honestly, at this point of the game there are not many clerics being leveled who are a persons first character, so they are slightly better geared and supported by equipment and less by stats.

As a barb, I can pretty much tell about how much vitality a cleric has by the difference in their heals and its one reason paint can replace some clerics. Some clerics are invaluable, some clerics I don't even care if they heal me, I'd prefer them to bb to reduce the damage I take and let the paint do the healing. I respect that a dead cleric makes a lousy healer but a lousy healer causes squad wipes and ends up dead too.

On my bm I went with the 3 strength, 2 dex, no vitality build and tanked everything, butn at 95 restatted a bit into vit. I noticed how sharp, reactive, and skilled I had to be to play with 3 vitality vs 47. I think its the same with clerics. Skill is a good compensation for vitality and you have the choice to stat it or not.

At level 100 what changes is you have or are getting your endgame gear. You have 6k+ pdef buffed, everything is at least +3 refines, and 50 hp from an immac citrine works as well for you as for a bm but gives you a larger precent towards your total hp. Most importantly you have 3 shields of your own and prolly an immunity skill and a secondary heal on your genie.

So I agree with what most have mentioned. For PvE a bit of vitality is nice (15-40) but not needed as long as you have the basic gameplay of a cleric down and moderate gear to support it. Base vitality (5) is fine, probably better, just be careful and be willing to pot and know how to play. Level 100+ you are fine restatting out any vitality added just try to keep 5500hp.

I think another topic of conversation is all the clerics using elemental necklaces. I can pull FCC (except exp room, and need a good bm stun for long hall) just fine because I have decent phys defense, a huge chunk of which comes from my neck and belt. Alot of clerics nowadays are wearing elemental necks and belts. They have more hp than me but are one or two shots.
    Seven 100+ characters leveled the hard way. Free to play. Mystic, Psychic, and Wizard left to level. b:victory
  • Kayleigh - Raging Tide
    Kayleigh - Raging Tide Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    I think another topic of conversation is all the clerics using elemental necklaces. I can pull FCC (except exp room, and need a good bm stun for long hall) just fine because I have decent phys defense, a huge chunk of which comes from my neck and belt. Alot of clerics nowadays are wearing elemental necks and belts. They have more hp than me but are one or two shots.

I think that is more due to the fact that -chan is so popular nowadays.

Personally for my cleric I have both physical and elemental ornaments depening on the situation. I'll use my elemental ornaments when just grinding during pve or if I'm tanking a magical boss. In most other cases I'll switch to my physical ornaments. Plume shell and guardian light are ways to combate this, but if wearing physical ornaments, plume shell isn't as much a drain on mana if uncharmed. Only case well I can sell the elemental belt really helping out is if it is the rank 9 elemental belt, but warsong belt is still better then that in terms of overall defense. The game has just become so offense oriented I think many don't even focus on defense anymore.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Started March 2010
    Characters
    Kayleigh - 102 Sage Cleric
    KayTheBarb - 100 Sage Barbarian
  • Decus - Dreamweaver
    edited June 2011

As stated above me. Competent clerics will carry sets of both. With the prevalence of cheap OHT ornaments (especially if you buy ones without -chan!), there's really no excuse to not having a decent set of pdef orns and mdef orns. I mean, I made the TT90 neck + OHT pdef belt and used them way before I got my cube neck+warsong belt. Not to mention the 87 and 96(?) molds...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • RedsRose - Lost City
    RedsRose - Lost City Posts: 12,354 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    TBH...I get more concerned with Vit Clerics or even Full Mag Cleric's that have NO pdef. You need a good balance.

Vit is not necessary but can help in early levels before one starts to get endgame gears, although you can do just fine without any Vit added at all. You just need to work slightly harder and play smarter to survive some things.

(I have 3 vit on my Main Cleric btw...Rose is for forums only now xD).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    RoidAbuse is awesome, only he would sell his sperm for gear!!

"Toughest monster? ..... RedsRose b:surrender" - Kantorek
    Where is my 1 v 1 Kan? b:mischievous
  • Manostra - Harshlands
    Manostra - Harshlands Posts: 308 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    I would recommend pure mag. I leveld with a vita build , never had issues in pve and nobody ever complained about my heals. But after i purged about 200 vit on level 93 and put it into magic things went magically more easy for me. The difference between a vit build and a pure one is noteable. After the restat i realized i made me the life harder for no real reason by going for vit. If i had to reroll i would go pure mag from the beginning. Of course i died a lot more in the beginning after my restat but it wasn't hard to adapt and play more carefully. However some bosses was now impossible to do for me without 2. cleric since i was a one shoot for them. But after some serious gearing up i have 9009 hp now unbuffed and pve isnt a problem anymore.

Pvp is a different topic, if you have sausage fingers it dosnt matter much how you geared you will just die anyways. :) If you good hitting the right keys at the right time you will most likely kill or get away. I still dont get why some people say clerics are good at pking. Never meet a good pk cleric who would show me te truth in that words against equal geared and skilled enemys.
    I hate Room 38
  • JanusZeal - Heavens Tear
    JanusZeal - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,852 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    I think that is more due to the fact that -chan is so popular nowadays.

Personally for my cleric I have both physical and elemental ornaments depening on the situation. I'll use my elemental ornaments when just grinding during pve or if I'm tanking a magical boss. In most other cases I'll switch to my physical ornaments. Plume shell and guardian light are ways to combate this, but if wearing physical ornaments, plume shell isn't as much a drain on mana if uncharmed. Only case well I can sell the elemental belt really helping out is if it is the rank 9 elemental belt, but warsong belt is still better then that in terms of overall defense. The game has just become so offense oriented I think many don't even focus on defense anymore.
    I'm seeing more clerics go the wizard/psy JOSD route on HT.

Phys def ornaments help a lot and with rings and gear it's so easy to get more than enough channeling to heal sufficiently for a mag build cleric.

For PVE cases any time a cleric is under threat of heavy phys dmg they should be wearing phys ornaments, and utilizing plume shell. Goes without saying while sitting in BB.