Cleric Aggro Guide

Options
Furries - Dreamweaver
Furries - Dreamweaver Posts: 966 Arc User
edited October 2013 in Cleric
I have a barb and a cleric so I'm pretty experienced on how aggro works.
heal aggro is like damage aggro for the most part.

Note: all aggro numerical values made in the guide are completely arbitrary and do to not reflect the actual Numbers

If a mob has been initially aggroed (just by running into range) they will attack the person who triggered them. this is why u can pull a group of mobs in FC and run past your squad and not have any of them be attacked.

after a mob has been initially aggro it will then attack the person ho has the most aggro. so the initial aggro will be overridden by any damaging attack ( such as an aoe from a bm) and all the mobs that were hit will go from the initial target who ran to close to them to the target who dealt them damage.

whoever does the most damage will get the aggro.

here is where heal aggro comes in. walking past a mob effectively sets its aggro value to 1 for that player (the lowest # possible). any skill that deals damage will set it to a value based on the amount of damage dealt.

so lets assume the barb went and gathered 10 mobs, he then uses roar to set a high aggro value to those 10 mobs (assume roar sets it to 100). this allows the other classes to deal damage to those mobs without getting aggro until they pass the aggro lvl set by roar. (which was 100)

if i gather 10 mobs again with 4 ironheart precast on me, again all the mobs will follow me until another an aggro lvl is set above that of the initial aggro by range.

if the barb goes in and gather 10 mobs and THEN the cleric heals (after the mobs have seen the barb).setting the cleric aggro on those mobs to 8 all the mobs at were aggroed by the barb who have not been damage or have had their aggro value set above the initial value (1)will now attack the cleric who now has "heal" (8) aggro on the mobs.

in the same cause if a barb gathers 10 mobs and uses surf impact (a small range aoe) (aggro 15) which then hits 7 of the mobs. then the cleric heals. the 7 mobs the barb hit would stay on him with aggro lvl 15)and the remaining 3 which were not hit by the aoe and were still on the initial aggro lvl (lvl 1) will go at attack the cleric. (who has lvl 8)

so any time multiple mobs are aggroed initially ALL of them have to be deal damage (or roared) b4 the cleric heals or those who were not set above the initial value (1) will attack the cleric once it heals.

so u can cast ironheart on a barb as much as u like before he runs in. but as soon as he goes wihtin the aggro range of a mob. any further heals will set the aggro value(1 on the barb ) to a value (8) on the cleric during which they decide the cleric looks like more of a threat.

each player who hits a mob has his own aggro lvl for that mob. whoever has the highest one at the will be the target.

so lets assume we have a barb a cleric and a wiz

the cleric precasts ironheart. and the barb runs in.
mob sees barb and sets aggro on barb to 1
barb uses flesh ream setting aggr on mob to 50
cleric heals setting aggro on cleric to 20
barb does some normal attacks raising his aggro form 50 to 80
and cleric heals 3 more times raising heal aggro to 60
wiz then uses some skills and get his aggro to 75
barb uses ream 4 more times and sets value to 280
cleric heals and new value on cleric becomes 90.
then the wiz used BIDS and gets a crit and their value goes from 75 to 300

at this point the wiz now has a higher aggro lvl then the barb. so the boss decided to attack the wiz
barb seeing the boss running towards the wiz uses ream and sets his aggro on boss to 350
boss then goes back to attacking barb.

this also means that if the barb gathers a bunch of mobs the the big room at fc all the mobs will attack the barb (value 1) no matter how close they get to someone else.

but it also means that if cleric sets up blue bubble while barb has mobs following him and barb goes in bb range. the barb will be healed.. so.. now all the mobs following him.. will make a bee line to the poor little cleric who ins pretty much screwed unless another sqaud member can damage those mobs to draw them from the cleric.

so in short:
any damaging attack from a player will generate aggro on the palyer that did the damage
any heals done to a player will put generate aggro on all mobs who currently have an aggro lvl on that player. EVEN if that value is still 1

this also means that if ur wiz has the highest aggro on a mob 100 and the barb has 100 on another mob. but also the barb initially pulled the mob the wiz currently has so a value of 1 on the wiz's mob
the cleric healing the barb will get a aggro lvl of 8 on BOTH mobs.
meaning if the wizard dies..setting his aggro to zero the barb will still have an aggro lvl of 1 on the mob wiz's mob . while you have an aggro lvl of 8 from healing the barb. the mob will run after YOU when the wiz dies.

note: wings of protection (cleric skill lvl 79) does not generate ANY aggro. so if u cast that on a barb who is gathering mobs. (aggro value 1) they will NOT run towards you. and likewise will reset if the barb dies and not run towards you.
Killing level 80's with a lvl 60 is a lot more fun than killing level 90's with a level 100.
Post edited by Furries - Dreamweaver on

Comments

• Furries - Dreamweaver
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Different types of Aggro:

Non hostile:
    these mobs will not attack back
    Examples: Animals in town, Heads in Fc

Non Aggressive
    There are certain mob (mostly at early Levels) that will not attack you till until they that have been hit by an attack or skill.

Aggressive type 1:

these mobs will attack you if you Are within a Set range of the mob

Aggressive type 2:

these mobs will attack you if you are within a set range of a mob AND if u aggro a nearby mob of the same name, or certain other mob

Aggressiveness type 3
    these mobs will attack you if u get within range of them or aggro any mob near them

This this most easily seen in the instance Hall of Deception (fb 29)

beyond the first 3 walking mobs there are a lantern, a ghoul, and a flame

the lanturn has aggro type 3 and will attack if u hit a nearby mob
    the ghoul has aggro type 2 and will attack if u hit another ghoul or hit a flame
    and the flame is aggro type 2 and will only attack if u hit another flame

so if we attack the flame from range all 3 will respond and attack
    if we attack the ghoul the ghoul and lantern will respond and attack

if we attack the lantern only it will respond

after it dies we can attack the ghoul from range and it will follow without the flame attacking after the ghoul is dead we can kill the flame alone.

the next 3 mobs are the same pair of 3 and can be aggro the same way.

down in the tower room there is a lantern and 2 ghouls on the right becuase the lanturn is aggro type 3 and the ghoul we can pull the lantern from range by hitting it without pulling the ghouls.

once the 2 ghouls are alone we can either hit 1 and take them both together or use earthflame (genie skill) or a veno pet to pull one by itself.

as long as you stay to the right the mobs to left left wont attack you.

the lanturn further up in the room can be attacked with a ranged skill and will come by itself. or if u hit the tower it will also come alone.

the tower can be killed from a range of 20 (with skills or a bow) without aggroing any mobs and while out of range of the tower itself.

after the tower is dead u can proceed to the passage with the 2 flames and the ghoul each time the ghoul may be pull with a ranged attack wihout aggroing any of the flames

after the passage is clear there remains the last room and the boss.

the mobs can be pulled with a genie/ pet can be aoed together depending on the skill of the squad.
    Killing level 80's with a lvl 60 is a lot more fun than killing level 90's with a level 100.
  • Furries - Dreamweaver
    edited June 2011
    Options
    FAQ:

Q: I used my genie/pet to pull a boss and and all the other mobs near it came and attacked anyways. WHY IS THAT?
    A: there are a few situations that would make this happen.
    1 first of which is if u just got to close to the mobs while pulling. earthflame has relative short range and is that much longer than the mob's aggro range it is possible u walked to close.
    2 another problem may be your trying to pull normal ranged attack.
    most mobs u face in the game have aggro type 3 and will attck if u hit anything nearby. unless u are using earthflame or a pet to pull, they will all come to you. Fb29 is 1 of the few if not the only instance u can get away with pulling using normal ranged skills.

Q:but i didn't mess up!! i didn't get too close and i used eathflame properly yet all the mobs still came running WHY.
    A:This is the case of heal aggro. if you remember back to my first post if you are healed Via bb or a any other skill. it is as if the healer hit the mob. Now if you pulled the mob and ran back to your squad which had BB up its is possible that you were healed while the mob or boss u just pulled was still within range of the other mobs.
    In this case earthflame worked correctly it didnt aggro the other mobs. what happened was while the boss was still close to the other mobs (who have type 3 aggro) you got healed. generating aggro (not just the pull) on the boss.
    the other mobs now seeing aggro on a nearby mob (the boss) come and attack.
    this happened becuase u didn't let the boss get far enough away form the surrounding mobs be you ran into bb. to prevent this try setting bb up further back, this way you can run back far enough for the boss to leave the range of the other mobs before you enter bb range. you can also just wait to set up bb till later.
  • VenusArmani - Dreamweaver
    VenusArmani - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,009 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    ....you should post aggro guides on the DD forums, Furries LOL. I think Barbs and Clerics are the ones who tend to know the most about aggro and most clerics at high levels at least know when to heal. Even if they don't know how to heal....like that guy who thinks blessings of the purehearted is the best heal. -_-
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks Silvy for the superb sig <3

VenusArmani's word of the moment: Expand your Vocabulary, Expand your horizons!
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=17992481&postcount=189
    Pusillanimous:
    1) lacking courage or resolution; cowardly; faint-hearted
    2) Proceeding from or indicating a cowardly spirit
  • Maralynne - Lost City
    Maralynne - Lost City Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Neat guide, very detailed and nice examples. Only sugggestion is a spell checker, some colours, bolds, headlines. Make it pretty, you know? Then stick it at the top of every DD guide and in the Beginner forums for teh lulz.

Nice! b:cute
  • Decus - Dreamweaver
    Decus - Dreamweaver Posts: 5,033 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Glad you posted this as Paramedic's Aggro Mechanics thread was ruined :3
    Proving that not only archers do math since 2009. b:victory
    Current math challenge: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1029711&page=45
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Any skills that can be used to kill you will interrupt BB when successful." -truekossy | "...Sage archers are kind of like Mac owners. They are proud of the weirdest and most unnecessary things." -Aesthor | "We ALL know Jesus doesn't play PWI. He may have suffered a lot for humanity, but he'd NEVER punish himself this way." -Abstractive | "I approve of bananas." -SashaGray
  • Samaela - Dreamweaver
    Samaela - Dreamweaver Posts: 426 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I seriously hope most new clerics will read this(Hey, I'm allowed to dream right?) Very useful, but you should add some colours/spellcheck it, reading it made me want to stab myself cause of that at some point which is bad since well, it is a really good guide.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Samaela[demon cleric]||Nanimee[mystic]||aquaelle[psychic]
  • Zvyn - Heavens Tear
    Zvyn - Heavens Tear Posts: 71 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Too boring to even consider reading. People figure agro out the more they play. Reading about it is pretty pointless. Some people even find in game "masters" for the class they pick. Watch and learn from the best, right? That's how I did it all.
  • Liyte - Lost City
    Liyte - Lost City Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Punctuate/colour code to make it more readable >.< But on the otherhand, good guide. b:pleased
  • StacysMum - Dreamweaver
    StacysMum - Dreamweaver Posts: 305 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Agro? I say everybody ulti and have a parteh. Whats the worst that could happen.

I think ppl go over the top when they pull sometimes. Like drake in 59, a squad could easily just run in and pwon everything. But no, "everybody stand back, I'm gonna pull, I'm amazing at it".

Cool guide though, bit chunky in places.
    PWI b:bye
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Stuff

LOL hilarious song. For those that don't know here.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Pusillanimous:
  • Auralina - Sanctuary
    Auralina - Sanctuary Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I think this is a great guide for new clerics, or any new player. Thanks!! I vote sticky either in cleric or beginner forum. Maybe beginner forum would be better as it's more for new players than new clerics.

Related to BB heal aggro and the new classes, the seeker vortex aoe (aka the spinning skill that makes me dizzy) means that barb no longer has to get aggro before he enters BB, as seeker can grab instant aggro to all mobs as they run in without cleric taking a hit. Almost gave me a heart attack first time lol. I was like AAAAAHHHHHHHH... oh I'm alive yay. Seen this in FCC lately if the barb/seeker know each other and have a plan. Barb or anyone just pulls and runs straight into BB, no stopping needed.

Great guide, I enjoyed reading it, the fb29 info was great too for those of us who perhaps weren't doing it in the most efficient way lol, with the groups of three mobs in particular. Thanks!
  • Furries - Dreamweaver
    edited June 2011
    Options
    bump so people can see it b:victory

hopefully it will get stickied soon, so i don't have to keep on doing this
  • brazenbusboy
    brazenbusboy Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Agro? I say everybody ulti and have a parteh. Whats the worst that could happen.
    I think ppl go over the top when they pull sometimes. Like drake in 59, a squad could easily just run in and pwon everything.
    b:shocked

That works just fine as long as you have one or more lvl 100's in the squad (beating on mobs half their level). Or if your a cash shopper with rez scrolls and charms to burn, I guess you could do something like that for LULS? Not pulling at Drake and his minions for a squad of only 70-80ish toons would be inviting a wipe.
    Just some guy
  • Mauntille - Heavens Tear
    Mauntille - Heavens Tear Posts: 694 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    That works just fine as long as you have one or more lvl 100's in the squad (beating on mobs half their level). Or if your a cash shopper with rez scrolls and charms to burn, I guess you could do something like that for LULS? Not pulling at Drake and his minions for a squad of only 70-80ish toons would be inviting a wipe.

Actually, when my wizzie was going through bh59s, we took them all on fairly regularly. All it takes is a squad full of people knowing what they're doing.

(This was a full squad of level 70-75's, I might add.)
  • Furries - Dreamweaver
    edited July 2011
    Options
    bump becuase fuzzy hasn't gotten around to hitting the sticky button yet.b:surrender
  • Miugre - Heavens Tear
    Miugre - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Options
    A useful new guide written in the jaded-age of 2011? UNPOSSIBLE. >:[

All kidding aside this is pretty nice... the examples could use a bit of cleanup and I think you're a bit off on your values (I think if a barb manages to ream five times, a wiz isn't going to generate that same amount of aggro with one BIDS). But it illustrates the concept in a way that (I would think) a newbie could understand.

It makes me wish someone would/could divulge the actual hate generation values for various skills. In my observation, heals (such as IH) generate very little comparative aggro when compared to skills and there's virtually no chance of IH "stealing" aggro from a tank who already damaged a mob/boss, unless the tank stops hitting for whatever reason and the cleric continues to IH him a lot. In other words, IH hate is negligible when compared to attack hate. Obviously it was designed this way, and for good reason.

And yet, this guide makes me want to know the hate calculation for skills. Does each skill have a set "hate" value that is only influenced by damage? Or do most skills not have a hate-value and just rely on their damage to generate hate? If the latter, what kind of hate is generated by Ream, Roar, Alpha Male, etc.? Is this a set value or just a multiplier of damage?

@OP, please know that I don't expect you to have these answers - it's more rhetorical than anything else. :P

Obviously Ream generates a lot of hate, and if properly recast, can reasonably prevent other squad members from stealing (aps DDs notwithstanding >_>). I just wish we could quantify that into a number, y'know?

Also, I've heard rumor that Roar does not add aggro, but rather resets the aggro of all affected mobs to a certain value for the Barb, and 0 for everyone else. As such, I've seen it suggested that barbs should not use Roar as an aggro-maintaining skill as it might effectively nullify much of the advantage that was gained (e.g. to use your example of "100" for Roar, using it might give the barb only a 100-hate advantage when he might've had a bigger one before).

And indeed, I have rarely if ever seen good barbs use Roar as aggro-maintenance; they just use it on mob groups for initial aggro.

So can anyone confirm/deny that for me? It'd be nice to know.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Yes, I'm still a stubborn holdout in favor of the old game. Haters gonna hate. ;]

Other Active Characters:
    LigerKing (Barb), Girasole (BM), Shamsheer (Sin), ArborSoul (Mystic).
  • LenieClarke - Heavens Tear
    LenieClarke - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,275 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Also, I've heard rumor that Roar does not add aggro, but rather resets the aggro of all affected mobs to a certain value for the Barb, and 0 for everyone else. As such, I've seen it suggested that barbs should not use Roar as an aggro-maintaining skill as it might effectively nullify much of the advantage that was gained (e.g. to use your example of "100" for Roar, using it might give the barb only a 100-hate advantage when he might've had a bigger one before).

i don't know about a barb's roar, but i can confirm that a veno pet's roar (which is admittedly a different skill --- single target, where barb roar is AOE) works the way you describe. i can let my tank build aggro, then roar to make it easier for myself to steal aggro off it than it otherwise would have been --- the aggro roar gets is quite low.

and that's the one other class that has reason to know aggro mechanics, a well played venomancer. we're subject to heal aggro and can play aggro ping-pong with our pets, so we have occasion to learn.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Heaven's Tear alts: KenLubin, Sou_Hon, JudyCaraco --- level 5x chars.
  • Furries - Dreamweaver
    edited July 2011
    Options
    barb roar also removes sets the aggro on the roared mobs to zero on other players, same as veno roar, and yeah the values are completely false i just needed to give an example and i did put a note in the text saying that the actual numbers were not the actual values. i don't think anyone know the actual values.. ALTHOUGH i might be able to retrieve them though the a program i have. only problem is i don't know how to really use it. As it deals with too much hex an binary for my taste.

I think the fist thing il will do is color code the guide when i get the time and make some font changes. make it easier to find the data and possibly some some links that go further down the page to certain sections
  • Mekkhala - Lost City
    Mekkhala - Lost City Posts: 303 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Options
    I would just like to let the person who made this guide know that I found it VERY helpful.

Even though its long and winded I think this is something clerics should read if they want to become better healers. I myself don't have a barb (I'll farm a HA set when hell freezes over) so this helped me view aggro differently.

So good job, and thanks for the effort. I'd really like to see this guide polished up.

Edit: I have a question.

I knew before that if a barb went afk and I continued to heal him/her I would get aggro at some point. And now I understand why. But I don't see this happening with BB. I've had barbs hit bosses a few times then go afk leaving me stuck in BB, but I never received aggro. Does each BB heal not raise the aggro number? Is the number just raised once when I put BB up?
    Or have I just been blessed with barbs that raise the number very high before afking?
    I'm just curious about this. Any answers would be appreciated.
  • Dr_Jeckyl - Heavens Tear
    Dr_Jeckyl - Heavens Tear Posts: 94 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Nice guide. I kinda instinctively knew most of it but it is nice to have it spelled out.

Some questions if anyone can answer:

Any idea how much aggro Alpha Male generates? It seems like the only solution for Seekers when tanking.

What are the tricks that a Cleric can use to save a Wiz or Psy when they get aggro, without getting the aggro yourself, or at least not getting hit and killed. The same solution may apply to fail Sins who start to run around when they aggro something by mistake. (On my Mystic I can use my pet to Tank temporarily). Not really sure how to best handle it on a Cleric, seal or sleep perhaps?

I am assuming here that the Barb hasn't reacted fast enough, or the MT is a Seeker or other class that doesn't have as strong aggro skills such as a Veno Pet.

This is for levels around 60-80, not endgame.
  • Mauntille - Heavens Tear
    Mauntille - Heavens Tear Posts: 694 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Options
    @Mekkhala

Not sure if you've gotten an answer outside of the thread yet, but in case you haven't, here goes...

The there are two ways that you generate aggro via healing. The first is by skill use and the second is by amount healed.

Skill use can be considered flashy and something that draws attention, so every time you use a skill or a skill ticks, a boss will take notice and hate you that much more. With most of the heals, you'll heal once every second or two, meaning that the boss sees your shining antics and it's hate for you grows rapidly. However, since the "damage" you are doing is indirect, the hate generated is fairly low. With BB, instead of lots of smaller heals cast often, you grant a buff to those in range and a decent sized heal every 5 seconds. The buff portion of BB doesn't register on the bosses' aggro table, but the healing does.

Eventually, BB would generate enough aggro to overtake an MIA tank as well. It just takes much longer because you are effectively healing 1/5th of the time at best.

@Dr_Jeckyl

The problem with Alpha Male and tanking is that while it's great for grabbing the attention of many mobs initially, it's horrible for maintaining aggression. For aggro concerns, it works the same way as a Barb's Roar or a pet's Roar. The aggro table is cleared and some hate is given to the caster. Spamming this is bad for tanking because you end up clearing all of the aggro you've built up. I'm not 100% sure where it falls on the aggro scale, but I can run some comparison tests later if you'd like more details.

As for saving squishy characters in the 60-80 range, there are a couple of things you can do. For one, if you've got a squadmate who is a 1-shot-wonder and can't control their aggro, you can try to pump a preemptive IH or two on them. This way, they've already got some healing underway when they start taking damage, which gives you a little more time to react. Also, since you cast it before they had aggro, you may not have aggro transferred to you (for example, they aggro'd something they meant to skip).

If they've overexerted their damage capabilities and now have a mob running towards them, I'd recommend Silent Seal, as opposed to Chromatic. While the sleep is nice, most players will continue to attack, rendering it useless. But, if the mob is frozen in place far enough away, it won't be damaging your squishy friend. If you have an extra spark and happen to be between the mob(s) and the offending aggro thief, you can also pop a quick Siren's Kiss to seal the mobs. While it's not a favorite skill among most clerics, it channels and casts very quickly and the AoE seal can be a life saver. However, this one can be a little dodgy, since if you're much stronger than whomever you're trying to save, you can unintentionally pull aggro and seal the mobs in range of them hitting you.

Once you hit 79, Wings of Protection is great to toss on someone who got aggro unexpectedly. Basically, it's a Plume Shell that is instant cast and can be placed on anyone. It doesn't draw any aggro either, which is a big plus.

If you have multiple offenders, sometimes it's best to just throw up BB. Even if the heal isn't enough to cover everyone, sometimes the damage reduction is. Things can get hairy quickly in bh51/bh59 with squadmates running every which direction and aggro'ing everything on the map. Hopefully most, if not all, of the mobs will have been tagged before putting up BB. Although in any case, if you expect to be taking aggro on a physical mob, pop a Plume Shell before (or just after if there's enough distance) you heal.
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Nice guide. I kinda instinctively knew most of it but it is nice to have it spelled out.

Some questions if anyone can answer:

Any idea how much aggro Alpha Male generates? It seems like the only solution for Seekers when tanking.

What are the tricks that a Cleric can use to save a Wiz or Psy when they get aggro, without getting the aggro yourself, or at least not getting hit and killed. The same solution may apply to fail Sins who start to run around when they aggro something by mistake. (On my Mystic I can use my pet to Tank temporarily). Not really sure how to best handle it on a Cleric, seal or sleep perhaps?

I am assuming here that the Barb hasn't reacted fast enough, or the MT is a Seeker or other class that doesn't have as strong aggro skills such as a Veno Pet.

This is for levels around 60-80, not endgame.

Well, if it's a physical resistance mob it depends on hard it hits and what type of damage it's doing. Sometimes it's best to have the wiz or psy get aggro, and give them an ih stack. Sometimes it's best to grab aggro yourself with plume shell on, and then ih yourself until the barb notices. Other times, its' just best to let them die and rez them afterwards. Sometimes sealing works fine as well and then doing the aforementioned ih/plumeshell combo while running towards the barb. If a lot of people have aggro on a lot of things, a quick couple of ihs on the wiz/psy and then jumping into blue bubble/CHB may be best. It's pretty situational. I don't know exact numbers with alpha male, soz.

edit: Ninjaed! Also, yeah I would definitely recommend getting WoP. It's useful for pulls too if you go inside FC. I didn't mention because I was thinking of the dugeons 51/59 and level 80 max and it's not a skill most people learn right at 79. I certainly did though, and it can really be a lifesaver. Try to use it sparingly though, as it's cooldown is 3 minutes and you don't want to use it frivolously and then not have it when you need it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Pusillanimous:
  • brazenbusboy
    brazenbusboy Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Options
    I am currently leveling up my first cleric after playing many tank, DD, and Pet classes here and in other MMOs. I have to say that clerics seem to be much more complicated than they appear on the surface.

Thanks for filling in alot of stuff about healing aggro that I did not know.
    Just some guy
  • Dr_Jeckyl - Heavens Tear
    Dr_Jeckyl - Heavens Tear Posts: 94 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Options
    The problem with Alpha Male and tanking is that while it's great for grabbing the attention of many mobs initially, it's horrible for maintaining aggression. For aggro concerns, it works the same way as a Barb's Roar or a pet's Roar. The aggro table is cleared and some hate is given to the caster. Spamming this is bad for tanking because you end up clearing all of the aggro you've built up. I'm not 100% sure where it falls on the aggro scale, but I can run some comparison tests later if you'd like more details.

If they've overexerted their damage capabilities and now have a mob running towards them, I'd recommend Silent Seal, as opposed to Chromatic. While the sleep is nice, most players will continue to attack, rendering it useless. But, if the mob is frozen in place far enough away, it won't be damaging your squishy friend. If you have an extra spark and happen to be between the mob(s) and the offending aggro thief, you can also pop a quick Siren's Kiss to seal the mobs. While it's not a favorite skill among most clerics, it channels and casts very quickly and the AoE seal can be a life saver. However, this one can be a little dodgy, since if you're much stronger than whomever you're trying to save, you can unintentionally pull aggro and seal the mobs in range of them hitting you.

Once you hit 79, Wings of Protection is great to toss on someone who got aggro unexpectedly. Basically, it's a Plume Shell that is instant cast and can be placed on anyone. It doesn't draw any aggro either, which is a big plus.

If you have multiple offenders, sometimes it's best to just throw up BB. Even if the heal isn't enough to cover everyone, sometimes the damage reduction is. Things can get hairy quickly in bh51/bh59 with squadmates running every which direction and aggro'ing everything on the map. Hopefully most, if not all, of the mobs will have been tagged before putting up BB. Although in any case, if you expect to be taking aggro on a physical mob, pop a Plume Shell before (or just after if there's enough distance) you heal.

Thanks very much for these responses, I didn't know Alpha Male acted like Roar.

The tip about Seal vs Sleep was good too. I'm looking forward to getting Wings of Protection. It seems similar to Aegis the damage absorption shell that the Mystic Salvation pet uses, but unfortunately for the Cleric the Mystic gets that much earlier.

Other times, its' just best to let them die and rez them afterwards. Sometimes sealing works fine as well and then doing the aforementioned ih/plumeshell combo while running towards the barb.

Thanks for the tip. Sometimes it may be better to sacrifice a squishy than to die and have a squad wipe. Tough decision sometimes but if the mob is particularly nasty and the others are distracted, it makes good sense.
  • aquawitchzz
    aquawitchzz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    I know this is a really old post, but an advice to clerics. If the BM uses the new 80 skill, cyclone, which looks really cool but is a ****ty skill, don't heal him unless he used another aoe before! That skill doesn't take agro, if you heal, you will get the agro. I was duoing fc with my 99 BM friend, he went in and cycloned the mobs, i healed and they came after me, I was like WTF. Thank god for plume shell. So just be really careful when BM uses cyclone, make sure to see that they have alrdy used another aoe skill before healing them, unless you want the agro b:lipcurl
  • kwalamra
    kwalamra Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Thank you VERY much for adding this!!!!
  • kwalamra
    kwalamra Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    And still useful as all get out. Thanks for all of your efforts for us noobs.
  • HealerOfGaia - Lost City
    HealerOfGaia - Lost City Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    Options
    I've been soloing BH29 with my sin.
    And what you say about the Ghouls isn't right.
    If you attack a Ghoul(1), the 2nd Ghoul will come to you too.
    The Lantern is seperate. (I don't know about the Flame, I attack that one
    as last one, cause of it's range.) Or at least..
    That's how it happens to me.. Or is that due to 'Knife Throw' Skill?
  • TsarBomba - Heavens Tear
    TsarBomba - Heavens Tear Posts: 359 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    Options
    I think it's due to you hitting it with a ranged skill - exact same happens to me on cleric, seeker and veno - haven't tried bh29 with other classes. I assume it's the same for every ranged attack (obviously if you charge in with the intention to melee they will all aggro).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Feito - Dreamweaver
    Feito - Dreamweaver Posts: 165 Arc User
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Nice guide and an interesting read.

But please capitalize your sentences. It's kind of hard reading a wall of text when it looks like...a wall of text.
    InStyle is the greatest faction on Dreamweaver! b:victory
    Feito is...
    [x] Still a LA Cleric
    [x] in possession of a BURNING TIGER SPIRIT b:angry
    [x] Sipping some F--KING tea
    [ ] Totally KICKASS
    [ ] Extremely wealthy
    I've got some ways to go!