GM World chat issue

2»

Comments

• Sarrafeline - Sanctuary
    Sarrafeline - Sanctuary Posts: 4,661 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    The majority of the audience that plays this game are at least 18+. It's even specified that you have to be at least 16 years of age to even register for an account. So, if there is anyone under the age of 16, and are bothered by the language on WC, then it's the parent's responsibility to make sure that they're children aren't exposed to it, not the GM's. I know I would not be caught dead letting my daughter play this game without me sitting right there beside her to monitor what's going on.

Doesn't change the fact that there is a massive amount of material generated and consumed by persons who are younger than 18, that is of questionable content. 90% of the **** on World Chat I wouldn't want anyone under 21 to read, much less someone who is 15.

There's a person I met who is just about to turn 16, and has been playing this game since 2008.

Just because there's a clause in the TOU requiring the player to be over 16, do you think that's gonna stop people from signing up anyway? There have been some extremely adult situations on WC, and I have so little confidence in the people who run this game, I no longer bother with tickets. Facebook requires their users to be over the age of 18, I believe, yet most of their users are 15 and under.

It's become very distasteful.

The company doesn't care.
    101 Sage Sin*/Archer
    100 Demon BM*/Barb
    96 Demon Cleric/Sage Seeker
    95 Demon Wiz/
    94 Sage Veno
    85 Psy/80 Mystic
    And a handful of other alts, all 79 and under.
    *Pre RB level
  • VenusArmani - Dreamweaver
    VenusArmani - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,009 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    The majority of the audience that plays this game are at least 18+. It's even specified that you have to be at least 16 years of age to even register for an account. So, if there is anyone under the age of 16, and are bothered by the language on WC, then it's the parent's responsibility to make sure that they're children aren't exposed to it, not the GM's. I know I would not be caught dead letting my daughter play this game without me sitting right there beside her to monitor what's going on.

16 is still younger than 18, which is the legal age one is allowed to buy adult material in many states in the United States. 18 is also the age where you are legally considered an adult in the United States. So since they do allow minors, PWI does share in some of that responsibility. Why does the US matter? Because PWI is based in the US and thus subject to the laws inside of it. Since they allow minors on their site, they have a responsibility to keep it clean to a certain extent. I don't mean all the cussing and stuff, but not too long ago I did see a couple graphically describe an act of an adult nature (sorry kiddies won't get a hint from me ;D ) in world chat. Nothing super hard core, but still explicit enough a person under the age of 18 wouldn't be able to buy it on video, let me put it that way.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks Silvy for the superb sig <3

VenusArmani's word of the moment: Expand your Vocabulary, Expand your horizons!
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=17992481&postcount=189
    Pusillanimous:
    1) lacking courage or resolution; cowardly; faint-hearted
    2) Proceeding from or indicating a cowardly spirit
  • Infernia - Harshlands
    Infernia - Harshlands Posts: 662 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Doesn't change the fact that there is a massive amount of material generated and consumed by persons who are younger than 18, that is of questionable content. 90% of the **** on World Chat I wouldn't want anyone under 21 to read, much less someone who is 15.

There's a person I met who is just about to turn 16, and has been playing this game since 2008.

Just because there's a clause in the TOU requiring the player to be over 16, do you think that's gonna stop people from signing up anyway? There have been some extremely adult situations on WC, and I have so little confidence in the people who run this game, I no longer bother with tickets. Facebook requires their users to be over the age of 18, I believe, yet most of their users are 15 and under.

It's become very distasteful.

The company doesn't care.

The internet at large doesnt care either.

Seriously, if you think its worth censoring up world chat, youl be wanting to disable all access to the internet that isnt strictly clean. This will get you nowhere. Ignore it, or stop existing online. Censorship on words wont work.
    edited May 2011
    The internet at large doesnt care either.

Seriously, if you think its worth censoring up world chat, youl be wanting to disable all access to the internet that isnt strictly clean. This will get you nowhere. Ignore it, or stop existing online. Censorship on words wont work.

I have NO problem at all with it.

I have BIG problems with allowing minors to view it.

The BIGGEST problem I have is the fact that PWE legal drew up this nice, neat little TOU, and for 2 years, PWE staff were good enough to enforce it. Now, though, Frankie talks about 'you can and can't do this and that' on the forums when people ask, yet, nothing is enforced. It's so hypocritical. So many people completely ignore the rules here because so few are never enforced.

It bothers me, yes, because it's so very uncaring and inane. But, this is starting to border on illegal in the US.

Be as involved or uninvolved as you want. Two people procreating via text on World Chat hasn't happened yet, but the not-so-innocent stuff that does happen on WC, that goes unpunished, is leading to it. =\ If the TOU isn't going to be enforced, then please, stop the sad, stupid joke, and just remove it, because it's not a very funny joke.
    101 Sage Sin*/Archer
    100 Demon BM*/Barb
    95 Demon Wiz/
    94 Sage Veno
    85 Psy/80 Mystic
    *Pre RB level
  • Infernia - Harshlands
    Infernia - Harshlands Posts: 662 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    I have NO problem at all with it.

I have BIG problems with allowing minors to view it.

The BIGGEST problem I have is the fact that PWE legal drew up this nice, neat little TOU, and for 2 years, PWE staff were good enough to enforce it. Now, though, Frankie talks about 'you can and can't do this and that' on the forums when people ask, yet, nothing is enforced. It's so hypocritical. So many people completely ignore the rules here because so few are never enforced.

It bothers me, yes, because it's so very uncaring and inane. But, this is starting to border on illegal in the US.

Be as involved or uninvolved as you want. Two people procreating via text on World Chat hasn't happened yet, but the not-so-innocent stuff that does happen on WC, that goes unpunished, is leading to it. =\ If the TOU isn't going to be enforced, then please, stop the sad, stupid joke, and just remove it, because it's not a very funny joke.

ESRB, PEGI and BBFC all dont rate online content, and thats because its not worth it.

Allowing minors to view? Who cares? If they search (And this happened to me!) for Babysitters on google, you know what they will get? Links to lots and lots of ****. (Before you ask, we had to write an article or something for English... This was like 7 years ago, I forget the exact details b:chuckle). Dont sit there with the protect the children thing, because if you protect children, they never learn to protect themselves. This has been proven again and again, hence why sex ed is, at least in good old england, pretty much mandatory. (grounds for religion and parents saying no lets you get out of it... But if you dont know, you will, literally, get ****ed and have a real big problem afterwards).

As for the terms of use... Im going to bet half the people who signed up didnt read it. Hell I dont remeber what it said, all I know is there was nothing I will ever really give a damn about. Im sure half the employees havent even read it :/

Also, tell me how its bordering on illegal. The site / game is not advertised as kid friendly, doesnt pretend it is kid friendly, doesnt host any illegal materials and is not responsible for user created content. (Which includes what we say in chat).
    edited May 2011
    ESRB, PEGI and BBFC all dont rate online content, and thats because its not worth it.

Allowing minors to view? Who cares? If they search (And this happened to me!) for Babysitters on google, you know what they will get? Links to lots and lots of ****. (Before you ask, we had to write an article or something for English... This was like 7 years ago, I forget the exact details b:chuckle). Dont sit there with the protect the children thing, because if you protect children, they never learn to protect themselves. This has been proven again and again, hence why sex ed is, at least in good old england, pretty much mandatory. (grounds for religion and parents saying no lets you get out of it... But if you dont know, you will, literally, get ****ed and have a real big problem afterwards).

As for the terms of use... Im going to bet half the people who signed up didnt read it. Hell I dont remeber what it said, all I know is there was nothing I will ever really give a damn about. Im sure half the employees havent even read it :/

Also, tell me how its bordering on illegal. The site / game is not advertised as kid friendly, doesnt pretend it is kid friendly, doesnt host any illegal materials and is not responsible for user created content. (Which includes what we say in chat).

They are asking minors by saying "hey minors, you can sign up for this site! It's for anyone 16 and up!" You can control everything and it could certainly pop up but what could pop up on other sites does not relieve a company from liability from complying to basic rules about content on it's site if it's open to children. It may not have crossed the line just yet, but they should certainly keep themselves safe from law suits by doing things like monitoring world chat and not modifying other companies trade marked logos for their sales. -_-
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Pusillanimous:
  • Elemental_w - Heavens Tear
    Elemental_w - Heavens Tear Posts: 111 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    About 5 minutes ago, a GM started to talk on the Heavens Tear server.. And upon the arrival there was the people I have been talking about showing up. As an example;
    a kid has been making disgusting comments towards the public, aswell as the GMs while they were server broadcasting.

It was innapropriate and he even teased the GM.. This is why I think that the presence of GMs would be better for the whole server as a whole, helping out the public and inforcing the rules.

I've been informed he was banned aswell, thank you GMs :)
  • darthpanda16
    darthpanda16 Posts: 9,471 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Have a great long weekend guys! (in the USA) b:victory
    Do you need help learning about patching the game, installing it, changing antivirus/firewall settings, changing network settings, learn how to use a computer, keeping your PC maintained and more?
    Visit our BRAND NEW Knowledge Base & Support Website! - Tech Support Flowchart - Panda Caught on Camera
  • _Zappy_ - Heavens Tear
    _Zappy_ - Heavens Tear Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Darth just came ingame before actually, and there was a guy in WC using some very trashy language for a full 5 minutes while darth was online before being banned. Then he promptly came back on an alt after darth was gone and continued... xD
    Semi-retired due to continuing mind boggling displays of stupidity from PWI
  • CritCat - Archosaur
    CritCat - Archosaur Posts: 608 Arc User
    edited May 2011

Oh.
    My.
    God.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Current Sin Build:
    pwcalc.com/b6540a34278d977d
    Current Wizard Build:
    pwcalc.com/068f7e40791a3be6
  • Abstractive - Archosaur
    Abstractive - Archosaur Posts: 1,232 Arc User
    edited May 2011

Finish the zombie story !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Do it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! b:angryb:cry
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Bodyguard for Secret Passage at your service, now accepting daily installments of just 2.5m for your leisure.
    edited May 2011

You too! b:pleased
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Pusillanimous:
  • Dralighte - Harshlands
    Dralighte - Harshlands Posts: 1,540 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    I agree with OP.
    There's a HUGE ENORMOUS troll on our WC. His name is ~removed~. He's like the Yulk of Lost City, and the Elemental_w of Heaven's Tear. I can't think of a single soul who wouldn't rejoice at his perma-ban.

Every time he is banned, SOMEHOW, he gets unbanned by some weird circumstance. God knows how, but he does.

GM's need to get on the ball, especially with dumb people like him spamming yellow text. Otherwise, Harshland's WC is nice and clean.

This guy is kinda funny
    We need him!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Kylin: thrashtalk everyone, win TWs, serious faction -Dralighte
  • JanusZeal - Heavens Tear
    JanusZeal - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,852 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    *Let me get this out- This thread was NOT created to bash on the GM's of PWI. I am clearly stating an issue I personally see happening on the Heavens Tear server*

Alright, I've been noticing more than ever that the GM's activity on the server Heavens Tear has been declining on the World Chat chat feature. About a year ago, when I was playing there was not as much filth and utter stupidity happening on World Chat, and I saw a lot of people being warned and banned for their actions. Nowadays though, I see it progressively getting worse and worse on world chat and I want to know the reason for that.b:surrender

I will admit that I personally have been warned, and even banned once by a GM by violating a rule on world chat. I look at what I have commited in the past and the reason the ban was handed out and then I look now, a year later at world chat and I see it happening every day, non stop. The same garbage being said that would have gotten others banned earlier on.

I, as well as others are concerned about this- because there is a younger audience that plays PWI as well as the teen-adult community on the game aswell, and this is just innappropriate. If I have to send in a screenshot every time I see something bad I think thats not right either, and I think that the staff should watch world chat more and pay closer attention to what the players are saying.. Its frightening. b:shocked

Does anyone else have some comments on this issue aswell?
    If you weren't trolling for attention I'd just have told you that there's this nifty thing called world chat filters or even a blacklist, as plenty used it for you. b:bye
  • nebtch
    nebtch Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    i agree world chat has gotten worse and worse. I am not sure what the isssue is. I have seen GM's online and yet they do nothing. I know they say they are busy answering tickets and whatnot but maybe they needm to hire someone for worldchat only if the others are to busy. more and more people play this game every day. I know i talked several people into trying perfect world out and they quit not cuz they didnt like the game but because of how people are allowed to talk rude nasty and down right gross. so other games got there buisness and i feel bad for even bringing them into the situation. Perfect world isnt there anything you can do?!
  • ReMakaBo - Archosaur
    ReMakaBo - Archosaur Posts: 845 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    It's how you become a factor on Arch server.b:shutup
    re
    edited May 2011
    nebtch wrote: »
    i agree world chat has gotten worse and worse. I am not sure what the isssue is. I have seen GM's online and yet they do nothing. I know they say they are busy answering tickets and whatnot but maybe they needm to hire someone for worldchat only if the others are to busy. more and more people play this game every day. I know i talked several people into trying perfect world out and they quit not cuz they didnt like the game but because of how people are allowed to talk rude nasty and down right gross. so other games got there buisness and i feel bad for even bringing them into the situation. Perfect world isnt there anything you can do?!

...they quit the game because of world chat? ::facepalm::

Seriously? You can turn world chat off. I'm saying legal issue wise, they should probably do things that won't have them wind up in court. (keep the WC free of adult content, not use other companies logos in their promotional material, etc That being said, some of the responsibility does fall on the players to simply turn world chat off. It's like this, you find two drunk people **** on your lawn and you have kids. What do you do? Well first off, you let the authorities know so they can stop the people from trespassing on your private property. Next, you close the curtains so your kids can't see it. Yes it's the police job to get them off your property but they can't be their 24/7 and some of the responsibility does fall on YOU as well. WC really isn't a valid reason to quit the game because you can turn it off. You don't NEED wc.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Pusillanimous:
  • Barber - Heavens Tear
    Barber - Heavens Tear Posts: 265 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    lol you people complain about WC then come on here to do the same thing that you do on wc...attack someone because of what they have to say :p

well for the record i agree completely with what ele has to say, there needs to be more of a gm presence in game even to keep people informed or whatever like it used to be...

Like last night a GM came on to say something and he got drowned out of wc by 50 people complaining to him about stupid stuff it went on for 20 or 30 minutes after he left :p

I kind of believe there should be some kind of player/gm type of character just to keep things policed....wouldnt have to have powers to ban people but just someone people can pm when they see something wrong and that person could then have a way to contact someone in charge to get it taken care of quickly and speedily...kind of like a simple low lvl forum mod...a more personal direct link to a GM so they wouldnt have to take away from what they need to do to keep the game running

stupid screenshots and tickets take forever and sometimes nvr get answered or replied to

/edit/ and for the record i have 0 people on my blackslists :p
    Barbarian(Barber)=104
    Cleric(MysticFrost)=104
    BM(TooCold)=104
    Seeker(TiltedKilt)=104
    Assassin(Spongeworthy)=104
    Veno(UnZipped)=103
    edited May 2011
    lol you people complain about WC then come on here to do the same thing that you do on wc...attack someone because of what they have to say :p

well for the record i agree completely with what ele has to say, there needs to be more of a gm presence in game even to keep people informed or whatever like it used to be...

Like last night a GM came on to say something and he got drowned out of wc by 50 people complaining to him about stupid stuff it went on for 20 or 30 minutes after he left :p

I kind of believe there should be some kind of player/gm type of character just to keep things policed....wouldnt have to have powers to ban people but just someone people can pm when they see something wrong and that person could then have a way to contact someone in charge to get it taken care of quickly and speedily...kind of like a simple low lvl forum mod...a more personal direct link to a GM so they wouldnt have to take away from what they need to do to keep the game running

stupid screenshots and tickets take forever and sometimes nvr get answered or replied to

/edit/ and for the record i have 0 people on my blackslists :p

I have 1 person on my blacklist because every time I add more, my client goes to hell and the names remove themselves. I'm really quite angry about it, and PWE support has basically told me "we can't figure it out, so good luck there, champ."

I have suggested adding a chat moderator just for WC, but it was ignored as ever.

And... As for referring people to PWI... Hell no. I point people to other MMO's if they want to play one. Certainly not one of PWE's. Who would point someone to a failing MMO like this?
    101 Sage Sin*/Archer
    100 Demon BM*/Barb
    95 Demon Wiz/
    94 Sage Veno
    85 Psy/80 Mystic
    *Pre RB level
    edited May 2011
    I have 1 person on my blacklist because every time I add more, my client goes to hell and the names remove themselves. I'm really quite angry about it, and PWE support has basically told me "we can't figure it out, so good luck there, champ."

I have suggested adding a chat moderator just for WC, but it was ignored as ever.

And... As for referring people to PWI... Hell no. I point people to other MMO's if they want to play one. Certainly not one of PWE's. Who would point someone to a failing MMO like this?

Did you try verifying your files? I had an issue where my auto-reply for the chat feature was permanently on even though I did not turn it on and the screen indicated that it was off. I verified my files (which admittedly took forever) and haven't had that problem since then.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Pusillanimous:
    edited May 2011
    Did you try verifying your files? I had an issue where my auto-reply for the chat feature was permanently on even though I did not turn it on and the screen indicated that it was off. I verified my files (which admittedly took forever) and haven't had that problem since then.

I have verified around 20 times now. >_> It verifies fine every time.
    101 Sage Sin*/Archer
    100 Demon BM*/Barb
    95 Demon Wiz/
    94 Sage Veno
    85 Psy/80 Mystic
    *Pre RB level
    edited May 2011
    I have verified around 20 times now. >_> It verifies fine every time.

Maybe it has something to do with the settings? IDK but I think i have a level one char in sanctuary if you want to practice black listing me. :) Edit: Apparently she is level 2, XD. I realized sanctuary was a west coast server so I never bothered leveling her. :P Psylana, a psychic. (Creative, I know XD)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Pusillanimous:
  • Mor_Toran - Sanctuary
    Mor_Toran - Sanctuary Posts: 457 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    ...they quit the game because of world chat? ::facepalm::

Seriously? You can turn world chat off. I'm saying legal issue wise, they should probably do things that won't have them wind up in court. (keep the WC free of adult content, not use other companies logos in their promotional material, etc That being said, some of the responsibility does fall on the players to simply turn world chat off. It's like this, you find two drunk people **** on your lawn and you have kids. What do you do? Well first off, you let the authorities know so they can stop the people from trespassing on your private property. Next, you close the curtains so your kids can't see it. Yes it's the police job to get them off your property but they can't be their 24/7 and some of the responsibility does fall on YOU as well. WC really isn't a valid reason to quit the game because you can turn it off. You don't NEED wc.

Actually, the correct order is....
    1. Close the blinds so the kids can't see.
    2. Set up a videocam.
    3. call police, but only after you've got some good footage.
    "No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style." - Steven Brust, Yendi

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Yeah, I'm that good. b:chuckle
    edited May 2011
    Maybe it has something to do with the settings? IDK but I think i have a level one char in sanctuary if you want to practice black listing me. :) Edit: Apparently she is level 2, XD. I realized sanctuary was a west coast server so I never bothered leveling her. :P Psylana, a psychic. (Creative, I know XD)

Neh, there's a specific person I put on my BL every time I log on. Actually, I have a list of people I put on BL. Or used to, I don't bother unless they PM me, or I see them chat in normal.
    101 Sage Sin*/Archer
    100 Demon BM*/Barb
    95 Demon Wiz/
    94 Sage Veno
    85 Psy/80 Mystic
    *Pre RB level
    edited May 2011
    Actually, the correct order is....
    1. Close the blinds so the kids can't see.
    2. Set up a videocam.
    3. call police, but only after you've got some good footage.
    4. Sell the footage on the internet, it was in a public area after all
    5. Profit

Fixed for ya ;)

Neh, there's a specific person I put on my BL every time I log on. Actually, I have a list of people I put on BL. Or used to, I don't bother unless they PM me, or I see them chat in normal.

Okey Dokey :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Pusillanimous: