Why people stay

Options
Tremblewith - Heavens Tear
Tremblewith - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,558 Arc User
edited May 2011 in General Discussion
WARNING: MAJOR QQ THREAD. DON'T READ IT IF YOU HATE QQ.

I just felt that recently I've read so many threads where players in the community (both in-game & on the forums), are disgraced at this game. When they come to the forums for answers, they are lucky if a MOD responds and/or locks the thread. The ticketing system is a joke, and 99% of the time most players get an automated response after waiting a week. The in-game support is literally non-existant, and the support by GMs and/or the CM are just about non-existant on the forums.

The thing is, people stay and continue to play the game. Some are truly addicted, and it takes over their life. I'll admit, I'm quite addicted. It's however, under control and no where as bad as some people. The point I'm making however, is why are people staying? I believe some of us already know. It's true that we all have our own reasons why we continue to stay, and/or leave but remain on the forums... I anyways, always wanted to believe after that first Anni pack sale, and gold hitting 300k; that it would get better, and GMs such as the "great" Xarfox, who stated PWE was monitoring gold prices, and everything would be okay - we're doing just that.

No staff of PWE was ever watching gold prices by the way. Just so people feel at ease.

People stay because of friends they have made. Some stay because of self motivation (like myself). Some stay because they feel there isn't a better game available at the moment, or are buying time until one arrives (G.W2 anyone?). However, I think most veterans of PWI have lost hope by now, that this company has the game at interest.

I decided to look into another popular MMO, which I will not mention. Just to compare some small details to PWI. Not the game itself (graphics, gameplay, etc), but merely bug fixes and community support. The game is based in America, of course. They don't have to get permission to fix a bug or add something. It's a P2P game, but a mere $49.99 purchase and $20 per month (similar to the most popular MMO to date's prices). They are constantly updating bug fixes. Every 2-6 days, there is a new patch w/ detailed patch notes explaining all the new fixes, features, and tweaks to the client & game overall. They hired more online support when they released the game became so popular, to keep up with posts and inquires on their forums & support system. How awesome is that?

Game balance and the economy are booming. There is no OP class. Nothing like sitting at a boss and twitching it to death with 5aps claws when your a ranged DD, lol. There's nothing like a broken client that crashes non-stop when you TP to an area of the game, or anything like that.

I guess the point I'm making is QQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQ! I'm upset that PWE is attempting to run PWI into the ground. No, no... Not just PWE. PW-CN, w/ these failure patch releases. PWE just does the failure support, bad patch note translations, and throws sale after sale, putting end-game gear in the CS. I've always loved PWI, but I see the game going downhill after each maint (or no maint).

By the way: HOW CAN YOU NOT HAVE MAINT EACH WEEK? Seriously, look at the game. There should be maint on a daily basis for the next 6 months to fix all the bugs, balancing issues, economy issues, etc.

Anyways, the reason I haven't quit yet (but it's looking glim for the future), is due to the fact that I enjoy the game. For what it's worth, anyways. I enjoy playing the buggy POS. Sadly, I dislike the management. What are you gonna do? No private server can match the official server, and have better support than PWI. However, it wouldn't be hard to have better support...

Something I also dislike is the fact that they are making mounts, and other junk available ONLY to people that CS. When did this become a P2P game? It says F2P everywhere, but making feature's (even small one's like mounts), only available to those that pay, is putting area's of game files off-limits for people to be able to play with in the client. I consider that P2P. Not that it never was P2P before, but you know... Making content ONLY available if you put $150 in is BS, and I think most know it...

tl;dr

Thanks for taking the time to read the post. Doubt I'll respond, as I know how many troll and/or people who like to break down posts for whatever reason.
Post edited by Tremblewith - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• Cotto - Heavens Tear
    Cotto - Heavens Tear Posts: 373 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Once PW realized they could make money off us starting with the Hellhound sales few years ago it was over.

They indeed took it too far with the gear CS sales.

But ill admit, PW did great marketing and has mad ton of profit off us. Like you say the game is addiciting and friends make it that much harder to leave. So you kind of spend ZHEN and spend time on the game. The game itself is great, and they would reach a better level if they just fix bugs, but there main worries are marketing, to make more money from CS. That's been their goal since gold prices hit 200k. or even before. Maybe in the beginning, it was their goal.

Make a great product, make people work for their gear, make the game a achieving game till they get enough playerbase to launch sales and its been nothing but success for them. I mean in all servers, you got people who CS, who +12. This game really has made ton of money. And if people complain about bugs, problems, OP issues but they stilll make money then they won't change it one bit.

It's sad, PWI will NEVER CHANGE. It's a fact. If it was, it would done so YEARS ago when the problem was first STARTED. and it was an EASY FIX too. But while we want fun, they want profit. and in PWI's company case, Profit > our FUN and enjoyment. And the company can't say they show OTHERWISE, cause obviously there here for the money and looking for more ideas to make it.

Has to be hands down the most expensive and most used CS in MMO history.
  • Sarrafeline - Sanctuary
    Sarrafeline - Sanctuary Posts: 4,661 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Blizzard is a for profit company. You pay a monthly fee to play their games.

I have no problem paying money for a game. The problem comes when you're paying money, it doesn't matter how much, for a game, and the game has lots of problems, and the money is being sunk into other games, movies, new XBox 360's for the staff to play Halo on, or whatever, but the money is NOT being used to make the game you are spending it on better.

In the case of Blizzard, they do weekly BUG fixes. They have a patch every couple of months that includes skill balancing, may expand existing content slightly, add, remove, or tweak something with gameplay, fix an exploit, or whatever. They publish the patch notes VERY concisely and plainly in the patcher.

PWI, on the other hand, has never once tweaked skills for balance, has a world map 1/6th the size of mos other MMO's, has much, MUCH less in the way of bug fixes, and when the community screams about something, ANYTHING, does little, if nothing, about it.

PWI is fun to play. If PWI gets messed up enough, I will go back to paying a monthly fee to playing one of Blizzards games, though. Or even MineCraft. They have tripled the number of features, removed more bugs than I could count, and dealt with more issues in a month, compared to what I've seen done with PW in 3 years.
    101 Sage Sin*/Archer
    100 Demon BM*/Barb
    96 Demon Cleric/Sage Seeker
    95 Demon Wiz/
    94 Sage Veno
    85 Psy/80 Mystic
    And a handful of other alts, all 79 and under.
    *Pre RB level
  • _Tsunami_ - Lost City
    _Tsunami_ - Lost City Posts: 162 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Waiting for C..al 2, than gtfo pwi.This game will implode,sooner or later, they went too far, now really ppl has no trust in company anymore. Unless they do something really good guess this game will be a desert in a year (i see always less ppl connected, guess anyone can notice that)
  • Quilue - Sanctuary
    Quilue - Sanctuary Posts: 5,787 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Lol people will say Blizzard is P2P and it suddenly is held to a higher standard than PWI or something. Let's just compare how this game is handled and updated to DoTA...ijs...
    Elena Costel: I wash my hands of this affair.
    Legerity: *drags you back* *stains your hands with said affair*
    Elena Costel: Noooo... I don't want to have a dirty affair with Lady Legerity...
    Qui: b:dirty
  • Tremblewith - Heavens Tear
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Lol people will say Blizzard is P2P and it suddenly is held to a higher standard than PWI or something. Let's just compare how this game is handled and updated to DoTA...ijs...

In my OP, I wasn't referring to Blizzard by the way. Completely different game, though similar in the P2P aspect. P2P games are different that F2P games, however even comparing PWI to other similar F2P games, you will notice the lack of support and fixes this company gives it's titles.

Also, as I stated in my OP... I think portion's of PWI are P2P at the moment. They might not be the most game-detailed portions, or anything of the sort. The bottom line is mounts and various other things are unobtainable without spending real life cash, such as the current Zen offers.
  • Abstractive - Archosaur
    Abstractive - Archosaur Posts: 1,232 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I tried ************ I nearly cried out when I tasted its pure awesomeness.

Also, assassins aren't nearly as OP there.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Bodyguard for Secret Passage at your service, now accepting daily installments of just 2.5m for your leisure.
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I tried R.i.f.t. I nearly cried out when I tasted its pure awesomeness.

Also, assassins aren't nearly as OP there.

Wow, nice! You we're like reading my mind, lol. That is indeed the game I have been referring too since the OP. Just simple comparison's between support & bug fixes VS PWI.
  • _Tsunami_ - Lost City
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Just checked the european version of pw, seen more activities (pvp tournament,ect) and more comunications from GMs. Soon tideborns should be implemented than probably i'll move there :-P (at least this time i'll be able to join a TW, and not wait the 5am like in the "international" version, lol!)
  • rgog
    rgog Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    You answered this questino yourself and I will stick with that as the main reason.
    Anyways, the reason I haven't quit yet .....is due to the fact that I enjoy the game
    Plain and simple. The game has a lot of issues but most MMO's do also. I played Everquest for many years and I hear the same problems here.

The real reason the company does not fix all the bugs and balance issues is that every fix will bring a new set of problems, so it is just not worth it for them.

When people really start quiting and their revenues start declining then you might so some more aggressive bug fixes and maintanence.
  • Rawrgh - Raging Tide
    Rawrgh - Raging Tide Posts: 6,790 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Because there aren't many good F2P games out there. As bad as this one is, it's better than most others.

With that being said, if you're able to play a game that costs like 15 bucks a month, quit this game immediately, unless you're one of those people who play this game simply because you like being able to buy god mode.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "My understanding of women only goes as far as the pleasure. When it comes to the pain, I'm like any other bloke - I don't want to know."
  • Tonttuu - Heavens Tear
    Tonttuu - Heavens Tear Posts: 261 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Just checked the european version of pw, seen more activities (pvp tournament,ect) and more comunications from GMs. Soon tideborns should be implemented than probably i'll move there :-P (at least this time i'll be able to join a TW, and not wait the 5am like in the "international" version, lol!)

uhm european version of PW closed doors last year ^^
    edited May 2011
    Options
    rgog wrote: »
    You answered this questino yourself and I will stick with that as the main reason.

Plain and simple. The game has a lot of issues but most MMO's do also. I played Everquest for many years and I hear the same problems here.

The real reason the company does not fix all the bugs and balance issues is that every fix will bring a new set of problems, so it is just not worth it for them.

When people really start quiting and their revenues start declining then you might so some more aggressive bug fixes and maintanence.

I agree 100% with you. I did answer the question, but only for myself. I like to hear why other people continue to play as well, of course. ^^

Because there aren't many good F2P games out there. As bad as this one is, it's better than most others.

With that being said, if you're able to play a game that costs like 15 bucks a month, quit this game immediately, unless you're one of those people who play this game simply because you like being able to buy god mode.

Yeah, I completely agree. After trying many F2P games, while playing PW... I seem to keep finding myself enjoying PWI more than any of the others. I do have the ability to play a $15 P2P game, but at the moment I'm mostly putting my cash in other area's in my life, other than video games. But, yes... If anyone has the ability to play a F2P game, I'd suggest doing so, unless they enjoy putting lots of cash in this game just to be able to access all it's features.
  • _Tsunami_ - Lost City
    edited May 2011
    Options
    uhm european version of PW closed doors last year ^^

Just posted in the forum and asked exactly that :D you can check by yourself if u want, my username in that forum it's "Aldebaran82" :P
  • Tonttuu - Heavens Tear
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Just posted in the forum and asked exactly that :D you can check by yourself if u want, my username in that forum it's "Aldebaran82" :P

on what forum? :D i cant find any links to PW-MS with google :P
  • _Tsunami_ - Lost City
    edited May 2011
    Options
    on what forum? :D i cant find any links to PW-MS with google :P

Guess i must add u in coreconnection to send you a pm. Btw my reseach was simply perfect world europe, not pw-ms (don't even know what that means :D)

I'll send u the friend request, so i'll be able to send u the link as well. I anyone want it add me in core, i'll send it (btw it' really easy to find, it's the first voice in the google research xD )
  • Tonttuu - Heavens Tear
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Guess i must add u in coreconnection to send you a pm. Btw my reseach was simply perfect world europe, not pw-ms (don't even know what that means :D)

I'll send u the friend request, so i'll be able to send u the link as well. I anyone want it add me in core, i'll send it (btw it' really easy to find, it's the first voice in the google research xD )

yes i found that but if u look close that logo on that site it clearly says p.server :P

E: PW-MS was offical EU version ^^
  • Renza - Raging Tide
    Renza - Raging Tide Posts: 1,939 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    pweurope is a p-server which I was about to say before you posted above me anyway, it's a decent population for a p-server.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Kantorek: we hope to see the economy in PWI come back "down to earth" if you will."
    *One week later*
    "Frankieraye: Lucky Corals and Platinum Charms are going to be in the Boutique indefinitely."
    *few months later, PWI puts rank8/9 into the CS insanely cheap, raising gold 1mill+*
  • Pyrostormz - Raging Tide
    Pyrostormz - Raging Tide Posts: 956 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    i play because i still have fun

its enough for me
    ┌─┐
    ┴─┴
    ಠ_ರೃ
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Btw I want the arena.. :P

Me too! The real arena, not the current Cube one. I want the real, real, real one!!! :)
  • HardToThink - Lost City
    HardToThink - Lost City Posts: 967 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Most of us are fairly competitive, and that is why I play... I want.. Yep just those two words: I WANT

I want to learn how to PVP well on my sin, and that is going to take time facerolling my keyboard

I want to do a TW run where people cringe when they face me, and that takes wizards.

I want to be a sin and kill cashshoppers then laugh and pretend sins aren't op and i'm not terrible

You picked the wrong tw class.
    Siggy from bellefleurs.
    [SIGPIC]http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/94/25yzm05jpg.png/[/SIGPIC]
    youtube.com/user/HardToYawn?blend=1&ob=video-mustangbase
  • _Perses_ - Lost City
    _Perses_ - Lost City Posts: 1,917 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Trem both of us know the truth about this game, just like you stated in your post, most vetrans also know.

But anyhow, I'm just sticking around for the people I've made friend's with and enjoy playing the game with. Other than that? I'm just waiting for a game that LITERALLY makes me drool over it....So far only found:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtA1jSreK84

b:sexy
    Nothing worthwhile to mention here, enjoy the animated signature~

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • HardToThink - Lost City
    HardToThink - Lost City Posts: 967 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Trem both of us know the truth about this game, just like you stated in your post, most vetrans also know.

But anyhow, I'm just sticking around for the people I've made friend's with and enjoy playing the game with. Other than that? I'm just waiting for a game that LITERALLY makes me drool over it....So far only found:

WOW Thanks perses =] Oh, you can keep those medals pwi i don't want them anymore
    Siggy from bellefleurs.
    [SIGPIC]http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/94/25yzm05jpg.png/[/SIGPIC]
    youtube.com/user/HardToYawn?blend=1&ob=video-mustangbase
  • Crystabella - Heavens Tear
    Crystabella - Heavens Tear Posts: 204 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I stay for the social side of the game at the moment, but sadly of late people are slowly but surely playing less and less (including myself).

The game was great when you had to work your *** off in a squad to obtain gear or do your culti, now its just the same thing on a daily basis. The only new content is geared at lower levels and never anything for those of us that have been here since the game began.

I got excited over the guild bases, what a waste of time that has been. Oh look a count down this surely is something fun to do.... wrong again.

There are 2 games coming out later this year that have my attention, 1 of which many PWI friends plan on playing also, so for now PWI is just a stop in and have a chat place to pass the time until bigger and better things are released.

LOL just saw the link Perses posted, thats 1 of my 2 attention grabbers, looks amazing!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • _Perses_ - Lost City
    _Perses_ - Lost City Posts: 1,917 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    HardToThink & Crystabella: When it comes out, even tho I have put a lot of cash into this game, I'm saying good bye to PWI.

Cause really this game has become more of "Throw cash and you win." than "Work your *** off, and then your golden." :/
    Nothing worthwhile to mention here, enjoy the animated signature~

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Minimus_ - Sanctuary
    Minimus_ - Sanctuary Posts: 240 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I reduced playing time because of the problems of the game. Reasons I play still after more than 2 years are

- TW
    - social connections

I didn't mind to cashshop and acquire coin ingame for my chars with a lot of effort but with the time realized it doesn't make sense. What is an addiction good for where you feel scammed afterwards? Understandable that a company wants to make profit but if customers (non-cashshoppers are also customers since they keep this product alive) are being treated like this don't expect a positive reaction from the playerbase.
    b:surrender
    Middle lane, middle lane.. b:shutup
  • PooRitan - Sanctuary
    PooRitan - Sanctuary Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    to put it simple, i got hooked up by the game 2008.
    and probably the strongest reason for keep on playing is the memory associated with what the game was.

the game itself, the core, is still a great game.
    but its disgusting how step by step it is ruined. the company could had increased the life cycle of this product for years but shortened it by ..... (put in here any cursing you can imagine) ...i just have no words for it....

the whole game survives since 2 years only on its fundaments (what the first versions had). the raw made game.

that is what keeps people playing.
  • _Tsunami_ - Lost City
    edited May 2011
    Options

Very nice, probably i'll try it (love martial arts but hate past china background). The one i want to play it's this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eH6kedAAw10

Love final fantasy style and i used to play the first and found very nice, this should be much better.For sure i'll say "farewell" to pwi the second after the release b:victory
  • Slipper_E - Heavens Tear
    Slipper_E - Heavens Tear Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options

This is the only reason I stay anymore^^ Waiting for B&S to launch.
    I will say this to those people waiting for B&S to launch, though.... They have been predicting the launch since 2007, but they keep bumping the date back. One of those, 'don't hold your breath' kinda things.
  • Knownase - Heavens Tear
    Knownase - Heavens Tear Posts: 6,959 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I will agree with what a few already said in the thread.

PWi is just another social networking tool I use now, except you can do things while chatting.

Overall, PW is free, which is why I'll play it when I have absolutely nothing to do in rl. As a non-cashshopper, its actually kind of hard to consider quitting because all the fun and hard work of getting the goals you have completed today.

I only have a handful of friends left from when I first played PW, but always willing to make a new friend when things point out right.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    b:flowerHave a Techno Rave Flower!b:flower

-Self-Proclaimed TW commentator of HT-
    -Certified Barbarian Master-
    -You gained +10 coolness points for viewing this signature-
    -Master of Coffee-
  • AlysonRose - Heavens Tear
    AlysonRose - Heavens Tear Posts: 624 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Mainly I stay because there are still things I have yet to do in game. I have yet to do lunar squad mode, map4, complete culti, full warsong, or city of abominations/dragon temple.

I stopped doing tiger event when it stopped being easy to get #1-3 psy due to several full rank 9 psys taking over, and my mystic is only 94 with a meh tt90 glaive.

I stopped doing jungle ruins after the 2nd week of it due to it not being possible for me with all the lag, though I have since gotten a new pc and i'm sure less people try it these days. SpeedyTaco always wins anyway.

I also look forward to new events, especially ones like the trivia event we just had and the assaults on Archosaur. I like them because ANYONE can do them, and not be in direct competition with people that have hax gear for a limited pool of rewards, and failing that you get nothing like in Tiger event.

Other than those reasons IDK why I stay.

The faction I was in died when the leader quit without passing it to anyone or telling us. I am the only one that stayed mostly because I don't want to go to another faction full of the same issues that made the one I was in look awesome in comparison.

Its also kind of neat to be the last marshal in a fac that will never have any new members. Its just a place for my toons to go about their business without getting random fac invites and having to help noobs (i.e. solo all their **** for them) for the 200th time only to have them leave for a tw fac when they are done getting all the carebear help they need.

I've been in many facs before this one, and honestly the entire system sucks. I just talk to the few friends I have left on my FL that haven't quit. Which is pretty much down to 3 people and they all clerics lol. If I need buffs I poke one of my cleric friends or use the ones from the day's BH.

One of the great things about playing psy and mystic is that you can solo a lot of things that no one else can be talked into helping with. Like pretty much EVERYTHING that isn't ff or nirvana. More people should try to solo things, as its a great indication of your abilities and usually pretty fun. If I had full buffs and a squad every time I left a safezone on a pve server I wouldn't be half as good in a pinch, or in a random squad.

I only spend $ on this game for things I really want, since gold is ridiculous, and even then its been a long time since I couldn't live without something. I got rank 8 on psy during the first rep sale, and then I got a road warrior top and a few packs recently because I liked the top. Account stash is the single greatest thing you can ever buy in game, and will save you uncounted amounts of various forms of currency.

It should be a standard feature in the game of course, but meh its not the worst case of withholding key features ever.

While I am not exactly thrilled with the game, especially how long it takes to implement the simplest of things (like putting EG books in AH), I do appreciate just how much has been added over the past 2 years.

However compared to almost any other game both mmo and otherwise, the management of this game is inconsistent at best. I don't expect perfection, or even truly have a need for a lot of resolutions to my problems, but I'm sick of knowing that if I DID have a serious issue I wouldn't get any help with it whatsoever. I see people spam WC with the most inane, profane, racist, and otherwise unacceptable (not just be this game's standards but pretty much the standards of humanity as a species) and nothing ever gets done about it.

Considering that I have no issue with pretty much anything as long as its kind of funny, its because you fail on the human level that you are on my BL. Its pretty hard to fail teh internetz but grats, a winner is you.

Frequently if someone actually does gat banned its only for like 2 days and then they come right back on an alt to QQ and troll harder so they can get banned again and repeat. One idiot did this on 4 alts over the course of 6 hours one time. The sad thing is that I couldn't tell you any of their names. Sometimes they stop trying to be clever and just cuss nonstop for 45 minutes before someone shuts them up.

Fixes and changes come every 3 months or so, and then its usually only something like changing the size of a particular font or resizing a window. Why do we even HAVE a bug report screen if people still have the same problems 3 years later?

I have become apathetic towards Forsaken World after playing it a few months back since despite impressive graphics its even more broken than PW. I couldn't find one class I actually wanted to play, I hated the user interface, hated the constant need to spam mp items on ALL classes, hated how the main source of xp involved running back and forth across the horribly laid out city 30 times a day. You couldn't even get a new weapon after lvl10 without being really lucky because 90% of the time the only drops were for vampires. I was rocking a lvl10 harp till about lvl 28 on my bard because I literally had no other option but to spam FT 5 times a day and get lucky.

It would be like ONLY having mold weps in PW and then needing to do FB29 5 times a day for a slim chance of getting one for your class. You can't even sell old gear for money as its bound automatically.

So in summary, I only play the game these days because at one point it was a lot of fun, and its still a few months before Dark Souls and Silent Hill are out b:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    f:sneakyf:sneakyf:sneaky