Anyone else bothered by people using "APS" as adjective?

Options
Okeano - Harshlands
Okeano - Harshlands Posts: 4,943 Arc User
edited May 2011 in General Discussion
"Looking for APS DD"
"You are APS BM"
"Are you APS?"
Post edited by Okeano - Harshlands on

Comments

• Jellytoast - Sanctuary
    Jellytoast - Sanctuary Posts: 1,295 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    "Looking for APS DD"
    "You are APS BM"
    "Are you APS?"

Yeah, that bugs me so much. Everyone has APS. -.-
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    jellytoast - Demon Cleric
    Wizzypop - Demon Wizard

"We cannot solve our problems with the same
    thinking we used when we created them." -Albert Einstein
  • _Skai_ - Raging Tide
    _Skai_ - Raging Tide Posts: 3,407 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I agree with you on this one Okeano.

It'd probably be better if it was worded as "Looking for DD with # APS", or "You are BM with # APS", or "Do you have high APS?"

But even then it bugs me sorta, I like the term "attack rate" better. I been learning to think of what the people are actually trying to imply instead of getting bugged by it now, though.
    [SIGPIC]Octavia is best pony[/SIGPIC]
    Vicious's Brony. Brohoof!
    youtube.com/user/SkaiPW - Assassin PvE/PvP Videos!
  • GohRaL - Sanctuary
    GohRaL - Sanctuary Posts: 883 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I doesnt bugs me, but ive always used the "highAPS" term when talking of 3.33+ aps char
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ...i guarantee you, YOUR CHILDREN WILL NOT SEE THE DAY OF YOUR WHITE HAIRS...GOODBYE BLUE SKY (and PW too)

>RETIRED<
  • Rubblemancer - Sanctuary
    Rubblemancer - Sanctuary Posts: 191 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Sometimes people write things that are hard/impossible for others to understand, but in this case, it's usually pretty clear what they mean.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks to Silvy for the awesome sig!
  • Escorian - Dreamweaver
    Escorian - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    no it doesnt upset me its like a barb saying im a vit barb its just saying what build you are / want. b:bye
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ty Nowitsawn

Everything has its beginnings, but it doesn't start at one. It starts long before that... The world is born From zero. The moment zero becomes one is the moment the world springs to life. One becomes 2. 2 becomes 10. 10 becomes 100. taking it all back to one solves nothing. so long as zero remains... One.. Will eventually grow to 100 again.
  • Infernia - Harshlands
    Infernia - Harshlands Posts: 662 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    no it doesnt upset me its like a barb saying im a vit barb its just saying what build you are / want. b:bye

No... Im pretty sure means in the odd context of "Are you APS?" and similar.

My sin is "APS" but 1.67, I could answer yes and be perfectly correct, but you'd chew me out for "lying" more than likely.

~It bothers me when its meaning is a little hazy, but asking what someones APS is and similar idc, its pretty clear.
  • Escorian - Dreamweaver
    Escorian - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    No... Im pretty sure means in the odd context of "Are you APS?" and similar.

My sin is "APS" but 1.67, I could answer yes and be perfectly correct, but you'd chew me out for "lying" more than likely.

~It bothers me when its meaning is a little hazy, but asking what someones APS is and similar idc, its pretty clear.

the same thing goes for vit build characters and dex build. aps is just another build. saying your vit could be taken the same way you start with 5 vit. so everyone is vit.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ty Nowitsawn

Everything has its beginnings, but it doesn't start at one. It starts long before that... The world is born From zero. The moment zero becomes one is the moment the world springs to life. One becomes 2. 2 becomes 10. 10 becomes 100. taking it all back to one solves nothing. so long as zero remains... One.. Will eventually grow to 100 again.
  • Kristina_t - Heavens Tear
    Kristina_t - Heavens Tear Posts: 131 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    APS just means u have "no Actual Playing Skills" now if we can just get the N added to it......
  • Jellytoast - Sanctuary
    Jellytoast - Sanctuary Posts: 1,295 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    the same thing goes for vit build characters and dex build. aps is just another build. saying your vit could be taken the same way you start with 5 vit. so everyone is vit.

Well it's just weird for people to say they ARE attacks per second. If you say are you are an attacks per second build, that's okay to me. But the other way just sounds odd.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    jellytoast - Demon Cleric
    Wizzypop - Demon Wizard

"We cannot solve our problems with the same
    thinking we used when we created them." -Albert Einstein
  • RAZlEL - Dreamweaver
    RAZlEL - Dreamweaver Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I just always assumed people were too lazy to type "high aps..." Those extra four letters and a space can be very inconvenient to the lazy typer. And on the other hand, I never took the average player in PWI to really know the difference in an adjective, noun, verb, or anything else related to grammar.
  • Tojop - Dreamweaver
    Tojop - Dreamweaver Posts: 623 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Ya I can't stand using "aps" as an adjective...even tho I do it myself occasionally. I prefer just using the numbers (3.33, 4.0, 5.0) instead of "aps." It does the same thing, is more descriptive, and doesn't make you sound Norwegian.
  • _blood_rain - Sanctuary
    _blood_rain - Sanctuary Posts: 2,532 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I like it when people ask me if I have APS:

Them: "Do you have APS"

Me: " yes, my attack per second is #. I believe you meant do I have HIGH aps."
  • ReMakaBo - Archosaur
    ReMakaBo - Archosaur Posts: 845 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    APS being in reference to a focused gear build... I think 90% of the community gets it. I have APS, but I dont focus on it, so when someone says they need an APS for suchNsuch instance, I know I shouldn't even bother.

Being to Anal creates alot of shiet.
    re
  • Michael_Dark - Lost City
    Michael_Dark - Lost City Posts: 9,091 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    "Looking for APS DD"
    "You are APS BM"
    "Are you APS?"

That's so last year.

Using APS as a verb is what should REALLY bug you...

"Can you APS that boss for me?"
    "Don't worry, I'll APS it to death..."
    "Hold on, I gotta APS the NPC for chi"

b:pleased
    I post in forums. This one and others. That's why I post.
  • Mekkhala - Lost City
    Mekkhala - Lost City Posts: 303 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I've thought about that before. i don't even say APS when yelling. I say only 3.33+ or 4.0+ or 5.0.

Hell, I could say I'm an APS cleric since I can whack with my glaive at 1.00 a second....
  • Empu - Sanctuary
    Empu - Sanctuary Posts: 1,154 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Honestly, I can't bother with it. I'm not playing a game with so many different nationalities to read perfect english. My english isn't that great either. I see ppl ingame and on forums yap about english grammatical constructions or word choice ... That just makes me *sigh*.

No offence, but the OP's siggy makes me wonder if he understands this is a game forum, not englishforums or englishclub.
  • Evict - Heavens Tear
    Evict - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,301 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Nope.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dysk is my tasty chimichanga. <3
  • Michael_Dark - Lost City
    Michael_Dark - Lost City Posts: 9,091 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Honestly, I can't bother with it. I'm not playing a game with so many different nationalities to read perfect english. My english isn't that great either. I see ppl ingame and on forums yap about english grammatical constructions or word choice ... That just makes me *sigh*.

No offence, but the OP's siggy makes me wonder if he understands this is a game forum, not englishforums or englishclub.

Is it actually too difficult to type "people"... I understand the need for txt-speak on moble phones, but if you know how to type, there is no excuse (other than pure stupidity).

b:chuckle
    I post in forums. This one and others. That's why I post.
  • Empu - Sanctuary
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Is it actually too difficult to type "people"... I understand the need for txt-speak on moble phones, but if you know how to type, there is no excuse (other than pure stupidity).

b:chuckle

come again? b:bye

Yeah, with the amounts I type daily in 4 different lanquages it makes a difference. Like I said, this is a game forum. Those looking for perfect english should think of getting a life imo (woot txt-speak again. I hope your heart can hold it).
  • Okeano - Harshlands
    edited May 2011
    Options

Sure let's all replace apples in a stone with another angle that have a completely different fishing just because they sound asleep, since it's a game forum.
  • _Petal_ - Harshlands
    _Petal_ - Harshlands Posts: 499 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    APS just means u have "no Actual Playing Skills" now if we can just get the N added to it......

omg.....marry me now. b:dirty

Everybody and their mom has APS now...so who cares how the term is used? It's like complaining about the word heal being used as a verb. That's...just how common it is.
    ...thinking about that is just sickeningly depressing though.
    They made fun of me because I wasn't a R8 Psychic...and then came third cast. It's not funny anymore.

Reason 88 to buy a makeover scroll:
    gomba: "Your butt looks like an eggplant."
    Q_Q
  • Empu - Sanctuary
    edited May 2011
    Options
    @ Okeano : I rather read or hear a not-perfect english I understand, then perfect grammar I don't understand. Keep in mind that this is a game, with ppl of different ages playing. They all have different mother lanquages (maybe even with a different alphabet), and for many english is not an important language. Then there are some saying your english should be perfect to wc for a squad and to ask a question on a forum, or that shortening words is silly when you can type it full-out... Placing form above essence here seems not appropriate to me. It's trying to look more intellegent and more important then you really are, in order to avoid communication on the actual subject. Ofc, you do whatever you like. Just don't start to correct my grammar or spelling like you do with some others. I don't appreciate.

Back on topic, the term "aps" itself is getting on my nerves. But not the fact it's used as an adjectif, verb or noun.
  • _Nuriko_ - Lost City
    _Nuriko_ - Lost City Posts: 1,004 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    It doesn't bother me, people should know if someone is asking for an aps squad you better be 4.0+.
    Ahira is a spyb:cryb:cryb:cry
  • Joshcja - Sanctuary
    Joshcja - Sanctuary Posts: 3,502 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Its dumb, never seen a person who uses it who understands the game.
    Gifs are hard to make work here
  • Xarathox - Dreamweaver
    Xarathox - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,657 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I just always assumed people were too lazy to type "high aps..." Those extra four letters and a space can be very inconvenient to the lazy typer. And on the other hand, I never took the average player in PWI to really know the difference in an adjective, noun, verb, or anything else related to grammar.

This.
    Some people risk to employ me

Some people live to destroy me

Either way they die
  • Okeano - Harshlands
    edited May 2011
    Options
    @ Okeano : I rather read or hear a not-perfect english I understand, then perfect grammar I don't understand. Keep in mind that this is a game, with ppl of different ages playing. They all have different mother lanquages (maybe even with a different alphabet), and for many english is not an important language. Then there are some saying your english should be perfect to wc for a squad and to ask a question on a forum, or that shortening words is silly when you can type it full-out... Placing form above essence here seems not appropriate to me. It's trying to look more intellegent and more important then you really are, in order to avoid communication on the actual subject. Ofc, you do whatever you like. Just don't start to correct my grammar or spelling like you do with some others. I don't appreciate.

Back on topic, the term "aps" itself is getting on my nerves. But not the fact it's used as an adjectif, verb or noun.
    This isn't what this thread's about, but since someone brought it up, I'll address it.

English isn't my first language either, but by god I know the difference between "than" and "then". I don't really personally care about grammar. I'm only bothered by people mixing up those 2 words because it makes you sound ****. It's not just second language speakers either. I swear 90% of the people who's native is English don't even know there's a difference or actually think the opposite of their means. "Than you should do this". I don't care if you don't know the difference between your, you're, yours, their, there they're; knock yourself out.
  • ReMakaBo - Archosaur
    ReMakaBo - Archosaur Posts: 845 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Well you could just ignore the 90% of people that uses APS in their instance runs request. And wait for the 10% that gives a damn to spell it out for ya.
    re
  • Rawrgh - Raging Tide
    Rawrgh - Raging Tide Posts: 6,790 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I love it when people world chat "looking for aps DDs for nirvana"

I PM them and tell them I can go, and then when I get into the instance I just auto attack with my R8.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "My understanding of women only goes as far as the pleasure. When it comes to the pain, I'm like any other bloke - I don't want to know."
  • Xarathox - Dreamweaver
    Xarathox - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,657 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I love it when people world chat "looking for aps DDs for nirvana"

I PM them and tell them I can go, and then when I get into the instance I just auto attack with my R8.

Heh. I might try that.
    Some people risk to employ me

Some people live to destroy me

Either way they die
  • Okeano - Harshlands
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Well you could just ignore the 90% of people that uses APS in their instance runs request. And wait for the 10% that gives a damn to spell it out for ya.

No one's saying they should spell out "attacks per second".