Worldmap View problem

redbrick
redbrick Posts: 0 Arc User
edited June 2011 in Support Desk
I play PWI on my Mac with 2560 x 1440 resolution. Everything is great except when I view the full Worldmap, it cuts off the bottom and top. This means I cannot teleport to City of Raging Tides because I can only see the top of the city graphic - not the clickable tele location or even the title of the city.
Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Post edited by redbrick on

Comments

• krisnda
    krisnda Posts: 4,655 Community Moderator
    edited May 2011
    This is common, what you want to do is turn the screen into windowed mode, and shrink the screen so you can see the telepoints for you to teleport to. Sorry there isn't another way to just have full resolution while doing this.

Hope this helped ^^.
  • LenieClarke - Heavens Tear
    LenieClarke - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,275 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    2560:1440 == 16:9. there's your problem. PWI does this when run in widescreen resolution; use a 4:3 resolution in either windowed or fullscreen mode, and the problem disappears.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Heaven's Tear alts: KenLubin, Sou_Hon, JudyCaraco --- level 5x chars.
  • redbrick
    redbrick Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Got it. thx guys.
    Very interesting that wide-screen mode is the issue. Does everyone run 4:3?
  • LenieClarke - Heavens Tear
    LenieClarke - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,275 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    very pitiful that a game in this day and age should have problems with widescreen, if you ask me.

most of us run 4:3; a few holdouts just go windowed mode when they need to teleport to raging tides. how they can put up with it is more than i understand.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Heaven's Tear alts: KenLubin, Sou_Hon, JudyCaraco --- level 5x chars.
  • darthpanda16
    darthpanda16 Posts: 9,471 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    The game's engine is from 2004 before widescreen resolutions were available, and the way that it handles them now isn't optimal.

But yeah, to see the full teleport and world maps, running the game in windowed mode in a 4:3 aspect ratio when you need to, then dragon (intended) it back to a wider screen is the work around for that. b:victory
    Do you need help learning about patching the game, installing it, changing antivirus/firewall settings, changing network settings, learn how to use a computer, keeping your PC maintained and more?
    Visit our BRAND NEW Knowledge Base & Support Website! - Tech Support Flowchart - Panda Caught on Camera
  • Allisandre - Sanctuary
    Allisandre - Sanctuary Posts: 1,452 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    16:10 still cuts some off, but I can click on all the teleports. It would be nice if they updated the client engine, but I'm not holding my breath on that one.
    Take the time to look for your answer before you post like an idiot.

There are two kinds of people in this world...
    There are those who panic,
    And then there is us.
    ~ Sarah Jane Smith
  • SylenThunder - Twilight Temple
    edited May 2011
    I use 1680x1050 and it's fine for me, although I am missing some bits of the map on the top and bottom. I think that's a 16:10 resolution.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • PorkNugget - Sanctuary
    PorkNugget - Sanctuary Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Does PWI intend to resolve this issue (make a permanent fix) or are we just supposed to use the window mode and/or 4:3 mode forever?
  • Asurai - Raging Tide
    Asurai - Raging Tide Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Does PWI intend to resolve this issue (make a permanent fix) or are we just supposed to use the window mode and/or 4:3 mode forever?

To be honest, I'd like to see them do this. It's one of those things I can't wrap my head around why such a thing has never been fixed before. Maybe because it's not broken, according to them.

Anyway, my personal explanation has always been the same one. The devs in China still work on crappy 4:3 CRT monitors, rather than using the money the earned (often by **** the community over) and spending it on nice 16:9 LCD screens.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    GM 2 - Asu 0
  • Mor_Toran - Sanctuary
    Mor_Toran - Sanctuary Posts: 457 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    I find it odd though that it's perfectly functional on a 16:10 aspect ratio, (yes some is still cut off, but nothing that prevents it from being functional), yet fails completely on a 16:9 aspect ratio.

They have separate loading screens for 4:3 and widescreen. What's preventing them from doing the same with the map? Shouldn't be that hard to adjust the teleport dots for the widescreen resolutions pixel locations. It's not like there's 300 waypoints.

Oh wait... I forget, current Dev's don't know the source code because PWE fired everyone that actually created the game they bought. This is why old things don't get changed and bugs rarely, if ever, get fixed. The existing Devs only know how to add data that connects to existing hooks in the code. Kinda like making mods for Oblivion.
    "No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style." - Steven Brust, Yendi

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Yeah, I'm that good. b:chuckle