Gold prices high? Don't worry!

Tremblewith - Heavens Tear
Tremblewith - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,558 Arc User
edited May 2012 in Chronicles
...Because Xarfox, our friendly GM who has stated this before, is presently monitoring gold prices. Don't fret guys and gals, it's going to be okay! I have high hopes we will get a "coin sink" w/ Jolly Jones soon, and ALL our in-game economy issues w/ gold being high, will be instantly fixed.

Thanks to the amazing staff at PWE. You guys are seriously the best staff I think I've ever seen. *Wants your autographs*b:victory
Post edited by Tremblewith - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• Dyskrasia - Heavens Tear
    Dyskrasia - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,161 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    And I'd like to thank you for making this community a better place. Really.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Evict is a sexy chalupa. <3
    retired, etc
  • Olbaze - Sanctuary
    Olbaze - Sanctuary Posts: 4,242 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    And we have these awesome weekly events too! "Packs are back!" How awesome is that?
    b:cute
    I am Olba. Not Ol, not Baze nor Blaze. And even less would I go by Olblaze. Please, take a second to read a person's username.
    If you see b:cute be sure to take a second, calm look at anything I said.
  • LShattered - Heavens Tear
    LShattered - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,365 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    *charges moar zhe

Oh wait, I'll go out to dinner instead.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ☆Heavy Armor Venomancer since level 1☆
    Previously known as _Surreal_b:avoid

Sig by me.

[=>theempire.ucoz.com<=]
  • _Nuriko_ - Lost City
    _Nuriko_ - Lost City Posts: 1,004 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Come on PWI, only 4 different packs on sale??? I WANT MOAR QQ.

>_> Is 4 different packs at the same time nessecary?
    Ahira is a spyb:cryb:cryb:cry
  • XLeetSauce - Dreamweaver
    XLeetSauce - Dreamweaver Posts: 89 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    ...Because Xarfox, our friendly GM who has stated this before, is presently monitoring gold prices. Don't fret guys and gals, it's going to be okay! I have high hopes we will get a "coin sink" w/ Jolly Jones soon, and ALL our in-game economy issues w/ gold being high, will be instantly fixed.

Thanks to the amazing staff at PWE. You guys are seriously the best staff I think I've ever
    seen. *Wants your autographs*b:victory

so exactly how is a GM monitoring gold prices or, a coin sink with jolly old jones, going to fix the gold prices?

the simple fact of the mater is that unless the GMs (whatever they are) set the maximum amount of coins gold can be sold for, as long as there are pack sales every 15 seconds like there have been gold will never go down. i don't care what they do.

they need to get paid. they will put packs on sale indefinitely. people who cant or wont charge for there gold will buy it from the auction house. those with fat wallets or mommy and daddy's gold card will buy gold in bulk and sell it for ungodly amounts of coin because there to lazy to grind for it.

hell... im guilty of it. ive thrown more money then i care to mention at this game. but i grind for my coin more then that so i can buy gold or what ever from cat shops. but thats beside the point.

like i said the only way gold prices will go down is if the GMs FORCE the price down. until then i dont see how a coin sink is going to help.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]I don't understand whats so hard for you to understand that i cant understand why you don't understand me.
  • Gigglesnort - Lost City
    Gigglesnort - Lost City Posts: 220 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    so exactly how is a GM monitoring gold prices or, a coin sink with jolly old jones, going to fix the gold prices?

the simple fact of the mater is that unless the GMs (whatever they are) set the maximum amount of coins gold can be sold for, as long as there are pack sales every 15 seconds like there have been gold will never go down. i don't care what they do.

they need to get paid. they will put packs on sale indefinitely. people who cant or wont charge for there gold will buy it from the auction house. those with fat wallets or mommy and daddy's gold card will buy gold in bulk and sell it for ungodly amounts of coin because there to lazy to grind for it.

hell... im guilty of it. ive thrown more money then i care to mention at this game. but i grind for my coin more then that so i can buy gold or what ever from cat shops. but thats beside the point.

like i said the only way gold prices will go down is if the GMs FORCE the price down. until then i dont see how a coin sink is going to help.

"Sarcasm is lost on you Pinky." The Brain
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Toliman - Raging Tide
    Toliman - Raging Tide Posts: 1,595 Arc User
    edited May 2011

Here is example.

At the game market now, for example, 1,000 gold and players have 2,000,000,000 coins to be spent on gold.

So, average price of gold will be 2,000,000 coins per gold.

If PWI will additionally sell through market their 3,000 own gold, average price of gold will be 500,000 coins per gold.

It is simple.

But it will be not done.
    edited May 2011
    "Sarcasm is lost on you Pinky." The Brain

it would appear so... x.x then again its difficult to determine sarcasm from words on a screen. couple that with the fact that there are actual people who believe the GMs give half a damn and will fix gold prices soon how was i supposed to know?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]I don't understand whats so hard for you to understand that i cant understand why you don't understand me.
  • truekossy
    truekossy Posts: 7,021 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    *snip*

Hi. You must be new here.
  • Toxie - Dreamweaver
    Toxie - Dreamweaver Posts: 114 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    it would appear so... x.x then again its difficult to determine sarcasm from words on a screen. couple that with the fact that there are actual people who believe the GMs give half a damn and will fix gold prices soon how was i supposed to know?

They're bringing up sarcasm because at one point when gold prices skyrocketed ( something like 400k per gold? lulz) Xarfox or one of the other GM's stated that they were aware of the inflation and were working hard to stop it.

OFC would have been better had they actually linked the post instead of just rephrased it but whatever.
  • eyehaveyou
    eyehaveyou Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Here is example.

At the game market now, for example, 1,000 gold and players have 2,000,000,000 coins to spent on gold.

So, average price of gold will be 2,000,000 coins per gold.

If PWI will additionally sell through market their 3,000 own gold, average price of gold will be 500,000 coins per gold.

It is simple.

But it will be not done.

it wouldnt work like that.
    it would still be like, gold stays at 2.000.000 until no1 will pay that price anymore. then the price might go down to 1.800.000 nao the players who sold their gold for 2.000.000 will buy it for cheap at 1.800.000 , then sell again for 2.000.000 at next sale.

prices wont go down.

the point of ur way would be that the 2.000.000.000 would disappear, but those coins stay in game -> no coin sink.
    edited May 2011
    They're bringing up sarcasm because at one point when gold prices skyrocketed ( something like 400k per gold? lulz) Xarfox or one of the other GM's stated that they were aware of the inflation and were working hard to stop it.

OFC would have been better had they actually linked the post instead of just rephrased it but whatever.

oh what i wouldn't give to have gold be 400k again. those were the days.
  • truekossy
    truekossy Posts: 7,021 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Don't worry, guys! Packs and the sale barrage isn't the problem.
    xarfox wrote: »
    First and foremost, the reason why the price for Guardian Angels has shot through the roof, is because of the addition of Jolly Old Jones, not the Gear Shattering system.

For those who are not familiar with Jolly Old Jones, he's an NPC that allows players to trade either Guardian Angels for rewards, or 100k coins.

This brings me to the second purpose of Jolly Old Jones, to drain the economy. The last time we had this event, we drained a huge amount of money out of the PWI economy.

Granted that currently gold prices are inflated, however they should fall back down after this event/sale, perhaps even to a lower benchmark since so much coin is being sunk out of the game.

Gold trading is something that we pay a lot of attention to at PWE. We realize that a large number of players get their gold through the auction house, and carefully watch that system with a variety of metrics, statistics, and tools.

We also realize that lately it seems like it's been nothing but sale after sale. That's simply because the large content update we had today required a lot of work from the development team, and with the upcoming additions of the Bounty Hunter and Warsong City (very soon) it's easy to see how their plate has been full.

Now finally. There are some monumental updates on the way for PWI. I cannot go into the specifics of what they are, but I can say that upon having the news of these updates fall upon my ears, I was not only shocked beyond belief, but more excited than I've been for any previous content update/expansion.

Clearly, it's all because of Jolly Jones!
  • Sarrafeline - Sanctuary
    Sarrafeline - Sanctuary Posts: 4,661 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    It's a serious Catch 22. As soon as gold gets cheap, people will complain about how cheap gold is. >_>
    101 Sage Sin*/Archer
    100 Demon BM*/Barb
    96 Demon Cleric/Sage Seeker
    95 Demon Wiz/
    94 Sage Veno
    85 Psy/80 Mystic
    And a handful of other alts, all 79 and under.
    *Pre RB level
  • Tremblewith - Heavens Tear
    edited May 2011
    truekossy wrote: »
    Don't worry, guys! Packs and the sale barrage isn't the problem.

Clearly, it's all because of Jolly Jones!

Thanks for getting the link for me, lol.

Yes indeed guys, my post was sarcasm. I was merely poking fun at the fact that a GM once stated the very things I did in my OP, and how the problem has progressively gotten worse, and worse through time.

The original post from Xarfox was when Anni packs had just came out, and gold was 400k (the highest it had ever been at the time).

The only people that would be upset at lower gold costs would be major cashshoppers and the merchants that rely on stock of gold to sell/resell each week. Everyone else would be satisfied by lower gold prices.
  • CandyCorn - Raging Tide
    CandyCorn - Raging Tide Posts: 1,547 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    If i were you guys i would wait until gold prices lower, when there are not any pack sales or such. Then buy gold then sell it at times like this, use the gold prices for your advantage. You can't rely on gms all the times, got to do stuff for your self. Btw you could do the "earn zhen" option if your in the U.S. to earn zhen then use it or sell it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Move along..move along
  • Lesthar - Heavens Tear
    Lesthar - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,045 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Even if gold price will eventually drops someday, people will find a way to raise it back.
    GMs need sales for the game to be financed. And so gold follows, it's like tax rates, it is easy to go up, but is so complicated to be lowered even by a little.

And again, gold rate is not monitored by GMs (packs sales are... Wheeeeee~)... So this whole 'don't worry, be happy' feeling is a merely desperate illusion of hope.
    Maintenance time. Please choose a line:
    - When is it over? OMG I need my fix!! *super spazzing*
    - Fix the damn bugs, dammit! I'm so angry! I'll quit!!
    - New codes out there? I like free stuff~ *wink*
    - When will we get new content? QQ
    - Will we get sales? I got a ton of gold to spend.
    - I'm bored, I'll create a useless thread to annoy Opkorock.
    - *Incessant poking on Sweetiebot* Fun~
  • Yukkuri - Heavens Tear
    Yukkuri - Heavens Tear Posts: 624 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Again, They Just Didn't Care!

Eh... I was going to say something else, but I forgot.
    [sigpic][/sigpic]LOVE
    Information: It is proven that the majority of the Perfect World International player base suffers from "Motorcylophobia".

-Every single patch to an MMO causes players to cry: "They Changed It, Now It Sucks". Every. Single. Patch. -Taken from TV Tropes.
  • WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary
    WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary Posts: 1,686 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Last month I wrote up a merchanting guide description of exactly what to do when Gold prices spike. Then last week PWI was "kind" enough to cause Gold prices to spike.

Now, I'm not saying I approve of Gold price spikes, I'm just saying that smart players can use it to their advantage. Reports I'm getting in are that several people have had success turning starting sums of around 30 million into something more like 200 million over the past week.

I'll vouch for the truthfullness of their claims, because I've personally had daily (ie. non-investment) profits as high as 30 million in one day over the past week, which is extraordinary.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PWI Merchanting Guides: warrenwolfy.wordpress.com
  • Toliman - Raging Tide
    Toliman - Raging Tide Posts: 1,595 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    eyehaveyou wrote: »
    it wouldnt work like that.
    it would still be like, gold stays at 2.000.000 until no1 will pay that price anymore. then the price might go down to 1.800.000 nao the players who sold their gold for 2.000.000 will buy it for cheap at 1.800.000 , then sell again for 2.000.000 at next sale.

prices wont go down.

the point of ur way would be that the 2.000.000.000 would disappear, but those coins stay in game -> no coin sink.

If PWI will sell gold, then why would PWI use coins ?

PWI not need coins to buy something in game.

This is only solution that I can see.

Players - gold traders will be against this solution, because they will be without profit.

And must be removed or compensated (by PWI extra gold infusion) tokens - coins exchange (through NPC).
    edited May 2011
    Last month I wrote up a merchanting guide description of exactly what to do when Gold prices spike. Then last week PWI was "kind" enough to cause Gold prices to spike.

Now, I'm not saying I approve of Gold price spikes, I'm just saying that smart players can use it to their advantage. Reports I'm getting in are that several people have had success turning starting sums of around 30 million into something more like 200 million over the past week.

I'll vouch for the truthfullness of their claims, because I've personally had daily (ie. non-investment) profits as high as 30 million in one day over the past week, which is extraordinary.

Well, yeah of course. Merchanting is a fantastic way to make coin. That being said, not everyone is against high gold prices. However, from what I've witnessed by playing PW for the last 2 1/2 years, is most players prefer lower gold prices. Not everyone merchants, which is why merchanting is profitable. If everyone merchanted, it would be a shift of coin back and forth between the in-game populous.

Personally, I farm instances for at least 75% of my daily profit (Nirvana, TT, etc). I do merchant, but nothing too crazy. In all honesty, I wouldn't pay roughly 1.8-2m coin for a smiley set, which is what it would cost right about now w/ gold prices where they are in terms of currency transfer rates.
  • Sarrafeline - Sanctuary
    Sarrafeline - Sanctuary Posts: 4,661 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Thanks for getting the link for me, lol.

Yes indeed guys, my post was sarcasm. I was merely poking fun at the fact that a GM once stated the very things I did in my OP, and how the problem has progressively gotten worse, and worse through time.

The original post from Xarfox was when Anni packs had just came out, and gold was 400k (the highest it had ever been at the time).

The only people that would be upset at lower gold costs would be major cashshoppers and the merchants that rely on stock of gold to sell/resell each week. Everyone else would be satisfied by lower gold prices.

Uhh, NO. Gold was 800k~ish waaaaay before packs ever came out. That was also waaaaaay before... Well... Almost anything came out. Israfel wasn't released yet, and there were maybe 3 fashion items in the Boutique.

Then again, there were maybe 5 people selling/buying gold on the server, and there were... 4 Servers.

b:bye
    101 Sage Sin*/Archer
    100 Demon BM*/Barb
    96 Demon Cleric/Sage Seeker
    95 Demon Wiz/
    94 Sage Veno
    85 Psy/80 Mystic
    And a handful of other alts, all 79 and under.
    *Pre RB level
  • ColdSnow - Dreamweaver
    ColdSnow - Dreamweaver Posts: 983 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    gold before first packs came out was 300-400k.

anni packs 500-600k
    anni packs again 600-700k

break for several months gold 300-400k

anni packs 600k-700k
    tiger packs 700k
    sun packs 700-800k
    tiger packs 800-900k
    coral packs 900k-1000k
    easy ride packs 1100k-1200k

i missed ofcourse few packs and breaks but thats how it basicly went up.
    If i m trolling and spamming on forum...then i cant sleep and need a good laugh
    edited May 2011
    Uhh, NO. Gold was 800k~ish waaaaay before packs ever came out. That was also waaaaaay before... Well... Almost anything came out. Israfel wasn't released yet, and there were maybe 3 fashion items in the Boutique.

Then again, there were maybe 5 people selling/buying gold on the server, and there were... 4 Servers.

If that was the case, then Xarfox must have fell out of the sky? I'm pretty confident in saying that the only time Gold was 800k+ when we had four servers, was when packs had just went off sale for a week, and would be coming back the next. The constant shifts of new sales combined w/ pack sale > one week break > pack sale > pack sale > one week break, etc; caused an imbalance in coin, and a great fluxuation of gold, which is most definitely the cause of any gold being above 800k+.

Oh and also...

The first packs (Anni packs), came out and gold reached it's newest height - 400k. If you take the time to read that super old thread that has been kindly quoted by another player in this thread, you'll see what I mean. The first time players got upset at high gold, they we're also upset and blamed it on packs, which coincidentally (or not), was the same time gold hit 400k, and the Jolly Jones coin sink was "implemented" to help resolve this problem (which it never did solve).

• LenieClarke - Heavens Tear
    LenieClarke - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,275 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    If i were you guys i would wait until gold prices lower, when there are not any pack sales or such.

for someone who's supposedly been playing over a year, you sure don't seem to have paid much attention.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Heaven's Tear alts: KenLubin, Sou_Hon, JudyCaraco --- level 5x chars.
  • Elenacostel - Heavens Tear
    Elenacostel - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,822 Arc User
    edited May 2011

The above statements portray an inaccurate representation of PWI history.

Aside from one little incident involving Duke Rose Fashion glitch, gold prices did not reach such exorbitant heights prior to Anniversary Pack sales.
  • Annalyse - Heavens Tear
    Annalyse - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,618 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    I still would like an answer as to why they removed gold price cap that had been set at 1 mil. They say they are trying to help keep gold prices down? That is not the way to do it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Annalyse (veno) - Melosa (cleric) - Glynneth (archer) - Pickerel (sin)
    Florafang (wiz) - RubixCube (barb) - Laravell (psy) - Diviah (Mystic)
    Torchwood (BM) - Sataea (Seeker) - Wystera (Sin) - Allissere (SB)

Looking for a mature faction on HT? pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=760842
  • ColdSnow - Dreamweaver
    ColdSnow - Dreamweaver Posts: 983 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    I still would like an answer as to why they removed gold price cap that had been set at 1 mil. They say they are trying to help keep gold prices down? That is not the way to do it.

High Gold price = new players cant afford any cash shop items = buying gold trap...yes i call it a trap

i find the AH system a fake piece of BS that was ever implemented into this game along with the packs. Fixed goldprices would get rid of 50% lag aka catshops in the game and the inflation.
    PWI is a huge casino, just without any age restriction. It doesnt matter how much money you invest into the game, casino wins always anyway.
    If i m trolling and spamming on forum...then i cant sleep and need a good laugh
  • LenieClarke - Heavens Tear
    LenieClarke - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,275 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    on the gold price cap issue, i kindof agree with them; price capping gold in the auction house accomplishes very little. if there were a cap, and market prices started hitting it, there'd just develop secondary markets in gold to get around the cap.

there are ways to regulate gold prices using the auction house; the easiest (and, i suspect, most effective) would be to generate gold ex nihilo and sell it as a coin sink/gold source. or vice versa, if gold prices ever dropped "too low". this would also be a more flexible and easier to adjust method than any outright price cap/floor, and might be implementable without many players even noticing.

in fact, i sometimes idly wonder if this method isn't already being used.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Heaven's Tear alts: KenLubin, Sou_Hon, JudyCaraco --- level 5x chars.
  • Elenacostel - Heavens Tear
    Elenacostel - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,822 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Setup:

- GM announces (s)he will be selling Black Dye for 500k in catshops for a few days, within a certain rotating time window each day.

- The cat shops will be set up in a non-PK room in Cube of Fate (unsure if such a thing exists on PK servers). There will be a cat-shop in each level window as demanded for the Cube of Fate.

- GM will refill the shop as necessary. GM also reserves the right to force a player to leave the room if a player buys out the shop.

- GM takes the coin and removes it from the system.

Properties:

- GMs have the ability to spawn items on demand.

- Black Dye does not "break the game".

- All of this can be done without any code changes from actual developers.

Implications:

- Interested Non-Cash Shoppers would use their coin to buy the dye; this removes coin from the system.

- Interested Cash Shoppers would sell Gold in order to make coin so they can attend this event. This would lower gold prices. They would then use this coin to buy dye; this removes coin from the system.

- By rotating the time window each day, players from most continents have a chance to attend the event.

- By having the GM in a room in the Cube of Fate, the tide of players wanting to attend this event can be stemmed to a manageable amount.

- All players above a certain level can attend this event. They just have to work for it.

Variations:

- Any consumable item that does not "break the game" could work for this. Guardian Scrolls, Teleport Stones, Extension Stones, etc. The PWI staff has to do research on the appropriate price. This could be as complex as making a fake account and logging into each server to research prices. Or as easy as making a fake account and asking on the forums. Remember, we have precedence of staff making fake accounts.

- If there are still too many players, then we could have more than one GM at this event.