a quick question about DB in FC

Options
Lenestro - Sanctuary
Lenestro - Sanctuary Posts: 490 Arc User
edited May 2011 in Wizard
So Ive always been told to throw up DB after the Barb roars, but lately if i do it right after he roars, i steal aggro/die. I started waiting a few seconds, but if theres a seeker in the squad, he kills all the mobs before DB even gets thrown out and i look like a leech in the squad, doin nothin.

so when exactly am I supposed to start zhenning?
Post edited by Lenestro - Sanctuary on

Comments

• Adroit - Lost City
    Adroit - Lost City Posts: 4,628 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    So Ive always been told to throw up DB after the Barb roars, but lately if i do it right after he roars, i steal aggro/die. I started waiting a few seconds, but if theres a seeker in the squad, he kills all the mobs before DB even gets thrown out and i look like a leech in the squad, doin nothin.

so when exactly am I supposed to start zhenning?

I'd recommend using an ulti (such as MS) instead of DB if the mobs die quickly. You could also try getting expel on your genie and using it on yourself immediately after you open zhen. Other than that.. you just need to learn how to control your aggro. You can just wait to open DB until either the barb roars or the seeker opens their zhen (seeker zhen will do more damage than DB.. so you won't rly need to worry about aggro).

As far as being a leech, you are going to be.. especially as you level up. You become less and less needed/wanted as a wizard in FC as other classes are able to take care of the mobs more easily. It'll get to the point where mobs are little to no challenge at all, and the only way to speed up frost is going to be higher dps.. which is something wizards are terrible at >.>
    Youtube Channel: youtube.com/user/D2VeT/videos?flow=grid&view=0
    Current gear: pwcalc.com/6ab2893fbfb080a8
    [SIGPIC]http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=684hgk&s=5[/SIGPIC]
  • BLOODMYSTIC - Archosaur
    BLOODMYSTIC - Archosaur Posts: 1,842 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    a few things -

first, in fc, alot of barbs use the skill invoke (which has an animation that looks like the kitty is roaring), and then the skill roar (which is supposed to pull aggro to them and also has an animation of the kitty roaring) even on smaller pulls. There is a different "glowing" animation for roar, but that is sometimes hard to see with mobs piling on the barb. Make sure you know the difference or wait for the second "roar" and are not just looking or listening for something from the beginning of an MGM movie. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOoexhJB7LQ&feature=related

Second, if you have a bm or a psychic in your squad, you are much better off waiting for the stun. The psychics stun is unmistakeable and easily seen. The BMs stun is easier to listen for. Wait for the stun, then put up DB.

Adroit is right, kinda. At later levels (maybe post 95+, I woudn't really recommend it pre-lvl 90) and especially if you have the demon/sage versions of the skills, you are better off starting with an ulti on pulls. Depending on the composition of your squad, you can time these with roars/stuns etc., but I wouldn't do that until you have a better feel for the instance and the other classes skills, timing etc., because an ulti will definitely pull some aggro to you if not done right, as much or more than DB will. You might want to start with mountain seize first, since all or a majority of the mobs will at least be stunned when you hit them, which gives you time to use expel on your genie if you need to.

The other trick I have heard people do is remove your rings, don't learn DB to as high a level, etc. so that you do less damage and have less risk of pulling aggro until you see the mobs at below half their hp. I don't subscribe to this, first on the principle that we are there to do damage, and second because slower killing in FCC in my opinion (especially at lower levels) generally increases the risk that SOMEONE will die, and if people start dropping in the squad and you have had DB up at all, it is likely aggro and the following death WILL find its way to you too. Rather than that, get a genie with expel and maybe earthquake which will help you live if you do pull aggro.
    "And as for bragging, I don't need to brag. I am famous, yo. My accomplishments are legendary. I am BLOODMYSTIC, speaker of truth, bane of the Barbarians of Impulse, slayer of the **** of Narla, liberator of all the free peoples of the Archosaur server, former master propagandist for our leader in freedom, Proski, and Archtroll of the PWI Forums. And now? Amiable pve wizard, beloved by all, aka BLUEMYSTIC. Pleased to make your acquaintance."
  • Jellytoast - Sanctuary
    Jellytoast - Sanctuary Posts: 1,295 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Well my wizard is only 82 at the moment, and I seem to steal aggro on pulls in FCC as well. I usually wait for the barb to roar and some other class to aoe, then make sure I have stone barrier on and throw up db. After it's up I activate a pot immediately and do so throughout, as well as ToP. I can stay alive doing that because my wizards gear has a lot of hp. I have 5.3k hp with lvl 10 barb buff and no extra vit points. b:victory
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    jellytoast - Demon Cleric
    Wizzypop - Demon Wizard

"We cannot solve our problems with the same
    thinking we used when we created them." -Albert Einstein
  • HexOmega - Dreamweaver
    HexOmega - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,342 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    roar skill sucks

only helping clerics
    i like potato
  • Menarin - Dreamweaver
    Menarin - Dreamweaver Posts: 85 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I'd recommend using an ulti (such as MS) instead of DB if the mobs die quickly.

^This if there is a seeker in squad
    As far as being a leech, you are going to be.. especially as you level up. You become less and less needed/wanted as a wizard in FC as other classes are able to take care of the mobs more easily.

^This isn't entirely true. At lvl 92 I could and still can practically solo FC except for maybe 2-3 bosses (my gear is all +3). Sure I can't DPS like sins or fist BM's, but I almost always out DD them at my Lvl unless they have good gear which they usually don't since they blow like 50mil on fists like rejects.

It'll get to the point where mobs are little to no challenge at all, and the only way to speed up frost is going to be higher dps.. which is something wizards are terrible at >.>

^Amazingly true, but wizard do have our place. No other class can kill a group of bishops as good as we can so long as they are stunned first.

Second, if you have a bm or a psychic in your squad, you are much better off waiting for the stun. The psychics stun is unmistakeable and easily seen. The BMs stun is easier to listen for. Wait for the stun, then put up DB.

^This ALWAYS ALWAYS WAIT FOR STUN, unless you can just kill everything uber fast like a pro. I can FC and DB without a Cleric or BM and still survive.

you are better off starting with an ulti on pulls. Depending on the composition of your squad, you can time these with roars/stuns etc., but I wouldn't do that until you have a better feel for the instance and the other classes skills, timing etc., because an ulti will definitely pull some aggro to you if not done right, as much or more than DB will.

^An alternative to this is
    Edit: Triple sparking and then using DB. But I only recommend it if you dish out a good deal of damage normally, have maxed DB, and decent gear, EDIT: and a charm.
    Our time is coming, we cannot be stopped, soon the time of the wizard will be upon us and all shall know and fear us. we are a magical army of wizardry and death, cold and emotionless, we carry out our tasks without a conscience.
    ~Fiorrello_ - Raging Tide

^Wow he has no life.
    ~Menarin - Dreamweaver
This discussion has been closed.