Instructional Video for Clueless Archers?

Falcondance - Heavens Tear
Falcondance - Heavens Tear Posts: 699 Arc User
edited April 2011 in Archer
So there's a power-leveling craze going on right now, and I've seen a lot of archers, in-game and on the forums, who are kind of clueless about basic archer tactics, and it's depressing me somewhat. These people, in my opinion, might also have a short attention span, and no patience for walls of text... so I put together a tiny little video detailing basic archer knowledge to see if I can help augment the knowledge of new archers or supplement that of the archers who power-leveled or neglected the available archer guides. My intent is not to be condescending. I'm definitely not an amazing archer. But I've lurked long enough and played long enough to know what I'm doing.

What this video is not: A guide detailing skills to get, armor to wear, shards to use, stats to ... stat

What this video is: A compilation of basic tactics that every archer should know, intended as a complement to already available archer guides. It is very basic.

I'm aware that the archer forums can be harsh, and it's entirely possible that I left something blatantly important out of the video or did something wrong. You'll definitely be able to catch it, though, because I rendered in 1280x720, so you'll be able to see me suck in HD. :D

For one thing, take note that I don't actually click my skills! I just did it in the video to better demonstrate what I was doing. I'm also aware that my last clip is pretty bad. b:surrender

If I did something wrong, post and tell me, please. Or, if you think it's good, you could stroke my ego some. ^^ I also invite you all to make your own clips, and we could make subsequent videos about different things. Post here or send me a forum PM.

Video is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osEdHMDObT0

Note that it's still processing. It just finished uploading at the time of this post, so I can only watch it in 480p. Once it's done and 720p is up, things will look much better.

EDIT: Aaahhh. 720p is up and it looks beautiful.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I always thought I'd be the only one doing crazy things for people who would never care enough to do it back or to act like idiots or be entirely vulnerable, and making someone fall in love with you is easy, and flying 3000 miles on four days notice because you can't just sit there and do nothing and breathe into telephones is not everyone's idea of love, but it is the way I can recognize it because that is what I do."
Sig pic by Nowitsawn
Post edited by Falcondance - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• Quilue - Sanctuary
    Quilue - Sanctuary Posts: 5,787 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    You used Winged Shell against poison...

overall it's cute. :3
    Elena Costel: I wash my hands of this affair.
    Legerity: *drags you back* *stains your hands with said affair*
    Elena Costel: Noooo... I don't want to have a dirty affair with Lady Legerity...
    Qui: b:dirty
  • Falcondance - Heavens Tear
    edited April 2011
    You used Winged Shell against poison...

This is something that I missed entirely. I made my point in the video, but you're entirely right. I'll make an annotation. Thanks!

Edit: Annotation in. This is a pretty glaring flaw. Not a good start for me, huh? ^^
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I always thought I'd be the only one doing crazy things for people who would never care enough to do it back or to act like idiots or be entirely vulnerable, and making someone fall in love with you is easy, and flying 3000 miles on four days notice because you can't just sit there and do nothing and breathe into telephones is not everyone's idea of love, but it is the way I can recognize it because that is what I do."
    Sig pic by Nowitsawn
  • truekossy
    truekossy Posts: 7,021 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    With your basic attack macro, it may be worth noting that as your archer gains stronger weaponry, you'll be able to drop the frost or knockback portions and simply auto-attack mobs without being hit. An easy example is shown in your video with the fact that, had you ignored knockback and simply used auto while the mob was buffing itself, it still wouldn't have managed to get an attack against you.

As for your second tip, winged shell doesn't help with damage over time attacks such as the poison stacks you were demonstrating at first. It would probably have been better to go straight to the fish in that example as well as possibly demonstrate grace's damage reduction since your winged shell did pop in 3 hits there. Also, double spark does give a 10% HP heal, so that may be worth adding as a way to get a quick heal if it's needed. Single spark, on the other hand, does not give a heal and needs to be very well timed for the invincibility to be of any use.

For efficient single target grinding, it's best to note that for sage, you'll gain a damage reduction bonus instead of attack speed. Both sparks can be used for sustained heals, so there's no need for sages to use HP foods. Also, it may have been worth adding that without an added source of chi generation (such as what was displayed in the next tip), you cannot use both this style and the basic macro while grinding.

When AoE grinding via barrage, it's not that ineficient if you can regain chi quickly and gather a large group of mobs. I'd have suggested you show to use grace before barrage so that those without a HP charm can handle the damage dealt.

The same thing as above for grace/shell applies to the taking aggro to save the cleric clip. Yes, taking the aggro is important, but if you don't survive long enough for the cleric to make use of it, then the cleric will have aggro on them again but with nobody to save them.

Overall, it's a rather decent video for a basic demonstration. Now if only we could get it to the people who actually need it since most of them don't even know the game has forums... b:chuckle
    edited April 2011
    truekossy wrote: »
    /snip

Annotations added. I would much rather have my video torn apart, and possibly make a new one first. There's enough to annotate that it may be worth re-filming clips. After the new and improved video is out, I'll worry about publicizing it. (Which, like you said, may be a challenge) b:mischievous

It's also kind of monotonous. I might add some music or something if/when I make the next edition.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sig pic by Nowitsawn
  • truekossy
    edited April 2011
    Haha. True enough.

Something I just considered after rewatching is that, depending on how many mobs you're dealing with, it may be better to barrage them for survival than to double spark against them. Especially when the mobs are clumped together. Sages, of course, get the option of using sage spark for invincibility, a free heal, AND damage reduction on top of the increased damage for picking off the mobs faster. Clearly, this means sage archers are OP and need to be nerfed nao! b:laugh

Oh and when barraging groups of mobs, it's best to search through those chasing you and target the increased life/defense monsters. These are normally the ones that will survive longest, so selecting one of them will keep your barrage from dropping while you still have plenty of mobs on you. Of course, this only applies to if one of the mobs you gather happens to be increased life/increased defense.
    edited April 2011
    Something is telling me that this video will end up more than seven minutes long.

I used Double Spark because single sparking makes it impossible to time the invincibility right and showcase it properly, but I didn't triple spark because I didn't want to alienate the 88- community. I'll consider adding a barrage-for-survival clip.

@ Barraging Increased Life/Def: That's a strategy that I use a lot in RB, but not so much in the overworld, so thanks for bringing it to my attention.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sig pic by Nowitsawn
  • Elenacostel - Heavens Tear
    Elenacostel - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,822 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    - You can add the "Walk around" icon to make the last attack repeat, in a combo. Thus, you don't need 3 attacks at the end after the knockback, just one attack and the "walk around".

- For AoE grinding, you may want to start off with STA right before the barrage.

- The video for the boss aggro thing... is the viewer supposed to read the chat window?

I know who I am...
    edited April 2011
    Thanks, Elena, I'll make sure to include those within the next video. Yes, the viewer is supposed to read the chat window, but even in 720p that might be a pain. I'll see about alternatives.

While I'm at it, does anyone have music suggestions for Archer Instructional v2? I tend to keep only epic music in my music folder, and I don't think it'd be suitable for a tutorial. A PvP video, perhaps...

So yes, any suggestions? All other feedback is also welcome.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sig pic by Nowitsawn
  • truekossy
    edited April 2011
    - You can add the "Walk around" icon to make the last attack repeat, in a combo. Thus, you don't need 3 attacks at the end after the knockback, just one attack and the "walk around".

- For AoE grinding, you may want to start off with STA right before the barrage.

- The video for the boss aggro thing... is the viewer supposed to read the chat window?

I know who I am...
    -Does that work for placing that icon at the end of the combo? Because when it's used at the beginning it would just repeat the full combo once the first attack is off cooldown. And since frost only has a 3 second cooldown whereas knockback has 15 seconds, it would wind up breaking the macro when it runs into knockback's cooldown.

-Good point. Plus it helps you keep aggro on the mobs so they don't run of before you start to barrage them.

-lol agreed. Even at 720 it kinda sucked.

And no, you do not know who you are. D<
  • Quilue - Sanctuary
    Quilue - Sanctuary Posts: 5,787 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    You is TEAPOT! b:victory

As for music suggestions, try the one in OVS.
    Elena Costel: I wash my hands of this affair.
    Legerity: *drags you back* *stains your hands with said affair*
    Elena Costel: Noooo... I don't want to have a dirty affair with Lady Legerity...
    Qui: b:dirty
    edited April 2011
    OVS, huh? I'm in my PWE/PWI/Element/Music folder, but I have no idea which one it is. Will start looking.

Was thinking something along these lines: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMZjqy7NTYc
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sig pic by Nowitsawn
    edited April 2011
    Oh wait, ignore my comment about the repeat icon...

Ugh... I feel like a moron.
  • Summer_Blush - Heavens Tear
    Summer_Blush - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,187 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    you got mail! :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jimmyimo
    jimmyimo Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    I think WS would do better than Barrage in most situations.
    edited April 2011
    jimmyimo wrote: »

For AoE grinding, Barrage is best: http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=581771

Also, a large part of grinding well with an archer is finding the appropriate mob.
    edited April 2011
    you got mail! :D

Jones blessings up the wazoo. Also, nice Touhou sig.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sig pic by Nowitsawn
  • Cazos - Dreamweaver
    Cazos - Dreamweaver Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Needs more cowbell.
  • Summer_Blush - Heavens Tear
    Summer_Blush - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,187 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Jones blessings up the wazoo. Also, nice Touhou sig.

"and hey, the cleric might even heal you" made me giggle xD
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • truekossy
    edited April 2011
    jimmyimo wrote: »

Only when you're dealing with a lot of melee only mobs and they happen to have a low enough HP that you can do wingspan -> thunderous combos and kill them off fairly quickly that way. For anything that's ranged or may take a bit longer to kill, barrage will be superior in almost every situation.
  • Fleuri - Sanctuary
    Fleuri - Sanctuary Posts: 1,763 Arc User
    edited April 2011

I have not used macros like that for ages, but if I remember right, normal attacks will auto repeat automatically.

b:victory

Edit: I think the point of cancelling take aim was that you can use it in the middle of an attack sequence without reducing your dps (and, in fact, it slightly increases your average attack rate but it's a pain to use with other skills). Every third shot can be a take aim, this way. For an opening shot you might want to consider letting it charge up (unless you are farming really weak monsters).
    edited April 2011

Edit: I think the point of cancelling take aim was that you can use it in the middle of an attack sequence without reducing your dps (and, in fact, it slightly increases your average attack rate but it's a pain to use with other skills). Every third shot can be a take aim, this way. For an opening shot you might want to consider letting it charge up (unless you are farming really weak monsters).

This is true, but not much lives long enough for me to do this and is appropriate for demonstrating on. I could do it while someone tanked a boss, for example, but I would like to avoid visual clutter in order to make my point. I'm open to ideas, though.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sig pic by Nowitsawn
  • Random - Harshlands
    Random - Harshlands Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    more than 2 mobs i would rather fly and pick em off 1 at a time but hey thats just me. its by far the easiest and requires the least amt of skill :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • WaffleChan - Sanctuary
    WaffleChan - Sanctuary Posts: 2,897 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    I feel inclined to critque, even if somethings were already said:
    1. First thing I noticed, in your 'how to reduce damage' part at the start, you did not mention wings of grace, it also helps a lot when crowded at melee range, as theyd more than likely eat through the shell.

2. Mention also, if theyre 89+ that their 3x sparks can purify harmful status effects.

3. Just holding down the take aim hotkey instantly fires it. Warn them that it does eat quite a bit of mp at higher levels though; charm would be advised.

4. If it's a weaker mob, a quick stunning arrow will usually divert the mobs attention to you, while allowing the cleric a bit of leeway to heal/getaway.

Other than that, for all its intents and purposes, it isn't a bad video. Stupid *** archers should learn not to be so stupid ***.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    advice to fledgling archers:
    Going sage is like drunken sex, at first she may look good, but when you wake up the next morning; you'll look at her and go WHAT HAVE I DONE.
  • _blood_rain - Sanctuary
    _blood_rain - Sanctuary Posts: 2,532 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Stupid *** archers should learn not to be so stupid ***.

QFT

Should add something in there about those DoT and forever casting archer skills( you know which ones I'm talking about) and why not to use them.

Also at level 92, I rarely ever use knockback..unless it's for pulling(learned that in Qui's guideb:cute) and frost arrow also becomes quite obsolete.

May I suggest adding in something about kiting as well :o

Overall I see how it can help little archers who just don't have a clue

Also..sage spark heals some hp just as demon spark does. But I think others may have pointed this out already
  • Fleuri - Sanctuary
    edited April 2011
    3. Just holding down the take aim hotkey instantly fires it. Warn them that it does eat quite a bit of mp at higher levels though; charm would be advised.

I have been waffling about this issue, but I think most archers can use take aim cancelled without charms, if they limit its use slightly.

If you use take aim (cancelled or not) you will be getting an extra 10 chi every three seconds of battle. If you use winged shell (level 10 or, better yet, demon), you should be getting back a lot of mana. Even sage winged shell gives you back some mana (but not much compared to level 10). Anyways, if you usually conserve your mana, you should be collecting piles of mana potions from monster drops, and they can be completely adequate for sustaining take aim. Also, depending on prices and your shopping abilities and inclinations, low level mana potions can be cheaper than charms (and can be useful for "topping off" your mana when you have a charm equipped).

Sadly, mana food based mana points generally costs archers almost double the price it costs arcane users, because of our tiny mana pools and because of our general reluctance to equip mana pool gear.
    edited April 2011
    Herb Yuanxiao is incredibly cheap, and no one should have any monetary issues purchasing it.

There are also MP potion rewards from the Divine Contract quests at 90+ and a better one at 101+. The 90+ ones are not doable for Barrage, but they work for everything else.
  • WaffleChan - Sanctuary
    WaffleChan - Sanctuary Posts: 2,897 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    some quote about knockback
    Yeah, especially with these jones things floating around, I just have to normal shoot to kill things. Knockback is silly after a while.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    advice to fledgling archers:
    Going sage is like drunken sex, at first she may look good, but when you wake up the next morning; you'll look at her and go WHAT HAVE I DONE.
  • Fleuri - Sanctuary
    edited April 2011
    This is true, but not much lives long enough for me to do this and is appropriate for demonstrating on. I could do it while someone tanked a boss, for example, but I would like to avoid visual clutter in order to make my point. I'm open to ideas, though.

I am sure you can find something.

Like maybe monsters in moonshade desert?

Or maybe you could fight blackhole? Blackhole could be a good example of how to use control skills (and maybe bring a blademaster with you for when aim low does not proc).
  • KedgeSniper - Lost City
    KedgeSniper - Lost City Posts: 733 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    I laugh most of the video.

Only painful part to watch was the charm getting **** constantly in each scene. It was pretty epic at the end.. when i was betting if the charm would actually be gone before the video finish.

Charm VS zhen

That was pretty epic, tick like 4 times before the zhen and half the mobs agro just reset b:cry

Charm/Winged Shell VS Poison mobs

We found out winged shell last forever when your poison, that was pretty epic.

Ultimate fight:

Charm + EP Vs Boss!! (Chewy? if i remember)

That Ep spent like 60% of the boss hp healing herself.. Ep is like.. **** you, I need healz.. I dont care about that archer over there, That archer has a charm anyways.

b:victory Next time add voice though.. Would be better than reading.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Face the fear. Face a war. Face the world.
    Leeching CQ salary since 09'
    Many names, Common Faces.
    edited April 2011
    I laugh most of the video.

Only painful part to watch was the charm getting **** constantly in each scene. It was pretty epic at the end.. when i was betting if the charm would actually be gone before the video finish.

Charm VS zhen

That was pretty epic, tick like 4 times before the zhen and half the mobs agro just reset b:cry

Charm/Winged Shell VS Poison mobs

We found out winged shell last forever when your poison, that was pretty epic.

Ultimate fight:

Charm + EP Vs Boss!! (Chewy? if i remember)

That Ep spent like 60% of the boss hp healing herself.. Ep is like.. **** you, I need healz.. I dont care about that archer over there, That archer has a charm anyways.

b:victory Next time add voice though.. Would be better than reading.

Hahaha, this is still a pilot. Things will be fixed. Still kind of chuckling to myself. I could add voice, but my voice is pretty dull. I'm not sure.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sig pic by Nowitsawn