Flight Speed Glitch?

Chrystin - Raging Tide
Chrystin - Raging Tide Posts: 18 Arc User
edited April 2011 in General Discussion
I've rolled a cleric and archer on Sanctuary. Both characters have Iridescence wings. Both sets of wings indicate a speed of 3.20.

Only today I was doing World Quest with them, and at one NPC they started out together (and shared the same ending NPC). The cleric reached the next NPC quite a lot faster than the archer -- perhaps twice as fast. (The cleric's wings were not hasted.)

When the two next shared starting/end points I observed their arrival times again -- and again the cleric arrived much sooner than the archer.

Obviously, not all Iridescence wings are created equal.

This is no big deal, and I can live with it; however, it does make me wonder about the wisdom of equipping premium-priced wings that do not perform to advertised specs.

Perhaps someone smarter than me can provide an explanation.
Post edited by Chrystin - Raging Tide on

Comments

• grimreaperhc
    grimreaperhc Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    They started together but did they fly on the same height?
  • truekossy
    truekossy Posts: 7,021 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Well clients running in the background have been known for running approximately half as fast as active clients. However, it is true that a while back many players noticed that some Iridescence wings had 3.2 while others only had 3.0. Not too sure if that was ever fixed or changed since I've never had one of the 3.0 ones and no topics concerning it were brought up after it was initially noticed.

Also, what Grim said concerning height plays a role since you lose time on raising/lowering height, but at the same time, you also may have obstacles that may slow you down if you're at a lower height.
  • Chrystin - Raging Tide
    edited April 2011
    1. Both characters flew exactly the same flight profile.

2. I've seen the 3.00 Iridescence wings in a catshop. However, both of my Iridescence wings were purchased from the boutique, at about the same time, and both indicate a speed of 3.20.

I'm not quite sure I understand how clients may affect speed. This may explain it, I just don't comprehend how local clients affect speed relative to the gaming environment.
  • Chillum - Dreamweaver
    Chillum - Dreamweaver Posts: 887 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Flight Mastery the same on both characters as well?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • grimreaperhc
    grimreaperhc Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Flight Mastery the same on both characters as well?

Flight Mastery doesn't concern any other wings but the original ones, Chillynab.
    At least on archers it does not.
    And hai of course my fav wizzy!
  • Tricannon - Dreamweaver
    Tricannon - Dreamweaver Posts: 337 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    well whathadhappenwas u looked away from the screen too long and ur cleric kicked on the nitro for a small speed boost then turned it off when u looked back.
    If I sound like I hate you, please don't take it personally...chances are I actually do.
  • Chillum - Dreamweaver
    Chillum - Dreamweaver Posts: 887 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Flight Mastery doesn't concern any other wings but the original ones, Chillynab.
    At least on archers it does not.
    And hai of course my fav wizzy!

Fair enough. My mistook! b:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Sukinee - Heavens Tear
    Sukinee - Heavens Tear Posts: 262 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    If you're using two comps it could be slight lag. My bf and I have the same speed wings and sometimes him or myself appear faster than the other. We have the same home location for our desktops as well.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Member of Nocturne and Hikari...spread the light be nice to others!

"I conform to non-conformity." Join date: November 2008 :D
  • SammyStyle - Sanctuary
    SammyStyle - Sanctuary Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    I've rolled a cleric and archer on Sanctuary. Both characters have Iridescence wings. Both sets of wings indicate a speed of 3.20.

Only today I was doing World Quest with them, and at one NPC they started out together (and shared the same ending NPC). The cleric reached the next NPC quite a lot faster than the archer -- perhaps twice as fast. (The cleric's wings were not hasted.)

When the two next shared starting/end points I observed their arrival times again -- and again the cleric arrived much sooner than the archer.

This is no big deal, and I can live with it; however, it does make me wonder about the wisdom of equipping premium-priced wings that do not perform to advertised specs.

There is a genie skill that makes you fly faster for a certain amounth of time.
  • Chrystin - Raging Tide
    edited April 2011
    Fair enough. My mistook! b:surrender

Actually, I think it's a fair question -- we're only told Flight Mastery doesn't affect the performance of boutique-bought wings, but does anyone know for certain? At the risk of sounding like I'm editorializing, there's very little of what PWI tells me that I trust these days.

Just to allay any lingering doubts, neither character has had any points applied to flight mastery.
  • truekossy
    edited April 2011
    Actually, I think it's a fair question -- we're only told Flight Mastery doesn't affect the performance of boutique-bought wings, but does anyone know for certain? At the risk of sounding like I'm editorializing, there's very little of what PWI tells me that I trust these days.

Just to allay any lingering doubts, neither character has had any points applied to flight mastery.
    Flight Mastery only affects the starter white wings. My friend and I (friend who got CS wings at level 10 and didn't bother with the skill, where I leveled it long ago when wings and widgets were overpriced) both fly around often with the same wings with no difference in speed.
    I'm not quite sure I understand how clients may affect speed. This may explain it, I just don't comprehend how local clients affect speed relative to the gaming environment.
    As for this, since I can't find any of the original threads where it was brought up, I'll just leave a couple of links from a quick search that may help explain it a bit.
    http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=4765572&postcount=12
    http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=4766822&postcount=13
  • Chrystin - Raging Tide
    edited April 2011
    truekossy ... thank you for taking the time to post the links. I believe I understand the cause of the disparity. Again, thank you.
  • truekossy
    edited April 2011
    Glad the information was of use to you. :D
  • Fluxal - Dreamweaver
    Fluxal - Dreamweaver Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited April 2011

Wow, that's really weird, I would have thought it would be the archer 1st every time.

Archer Base Speed: 5.2 m/s (+ 3.2 m/s) = 8.4 m/s
    Clerics Base Speed: 4.8 m/s (+ 3.2 m/s) = 8.0 m/s

Thats 4 meters every 10 seconds of flight that the archer should advance versus the cleric.
    And I will strike down on thee with great vengeance and furious anger...the life you thought you led is gone, and your catshop is on an island surrounded by dinosaurs.
  • truekossy
    edited April 2011
    Wow, that's really weird, I would have thought it would be the archer 1st every time.

Archer Base Speed: 5.2 m/s (+ 3.2 m/s) = 8.4 m/s
    Clerics Base Speed: 4.8 m/s (+ 3.2 m/s) = 8.0 m/s

Thats 4 meters every 10 seconds of flight that the archer should advance versus the cleric.

Ground speed has no effect in the air, which is part of why so much PK occurs in the air (Slows and sprints don't do anything there).

All classes have the same base flight speed of 5.0
  • Fluxal - Dreamweaver
    edited April 2011
    truekossy wrote: »
    All classes have the same base flight speed of 5.0

Dang, good to know, where do you find that? I was looking all over for info like that, trying to sort some of my own flying issues.
    And I will strike down on thee with great vengeance and furious anger...the life you thought you led is gone, and your catshop is on an island surrounded by dinosaurs.
  • truekossy
    edited April 2011
    Dang, good to know, where do you find that? I was looking all over for info like that, trying to sort some of my own flying issues.

Old information that got tested out and confirmed a long time ago. I'm not sure of whether or not it's in the Wiki, but it is mentioned in a good few of the older threads here.

Of course, the problem with that is if you weren't here at the time or don't know exactly what you're looking for, it's probably a lot tougher to find.
  • Fluxal - Dreamweaver
    edited April 2011
    This is all the wiki has to say: "The speed you fly is equal to your base speed + the speed of your aerocraft in its current mode"
  • Fluxal - Dreamweaver
    edited April 2011
    I think I found the old thread you were referring to here:
    http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=140071

But no PWI official ever chimed in to verify which calculation method is correct...the debate ended up being left open unfortunately.

Could a GM please provide some clarification on this?
    Specifically to clarify if the base flying speed is = to the base walking speed, or are they different?
  • truekossy
    edited April 2011
    That's one of many such threads from the time.

It has been confirmed and there were a few threads that showed the testing, but whether or not they can be found anymore, I have no idea.
  • Jenovadeath - Lost City
    Jenovadeath - Lost City Posts: 217 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    This is all the wiki has to say: "The speed you fly is equal to your base speed + the speed of your aerocraft in its current mode"

lol that can't be true my barbs base speed is 9.2 ms in tiger form if I added that to my fly mount I'd be at 12.5 ms theres no way it works that way lol.

Base flight speed with all starter wings is .5 ms highest possible unhasted is 3.3 hasted 6.3 there are also several genie skills that can slow or speed up flight speed as well and also going from diffent heights makes a difference in the transitional point of changing altitude.

The only way to truly test this would be to have both characters start at the exact same height and fly the exact same difference whilst monitoring the ping of them as well. I know lots of times while im flying it looks like ppl are doing double takes and turning back and fourth every few seconds and I figure that is most likely due to the server trying to catch up on where the character is forcing it back as it semi half **** buffers it as they go along their marry little way or whateverb:bye
  • HeavensRage - Raging Tide
    HeavensRage - Raging Tide Posts: 404 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Lol world quest.

When you're flying somewhere and your game is minimized, you fly way slower than if you're in the client. So your cleric must have been the one you were looking at while your archer was minimized.
  • Self_Suicide - Harshlands
    Self_Suicide - Harshlands Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Well i was helping my wife on my sin and i have wildfire and she has dark lords i had to literally haste to keep up with her.....and then flying at 6 m/s i was just keeping up clerics flying is bugged >.>
  • Sir_Puma - Raging Tide
    Sir_Puma - Raging Tide Posts: 780 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Lol world quest.

I started answering different, but then deleted..

I'll just say : There's more then just FC/Nirvaane in this game u know ?

World quest can be perfect time to set auto to next point and cook dinner, lunch, shave, take shower, whatever..even socialize with people real life b:shocked

Not saying you are cause I barely know you, but not all are "let's do all this game has to offer in 30 mins and then get bored and have to resort back to real life to pass time"

Or troll forums..Omg, what am I doing here u'll say ? I'm actually taking my time to fly point A to point B.

As for topic. I have a pretty lousy comp so yeah since dual-clienting is now legal..Tested with same speed flyer.. And my "tank" that I was watching, actually did arrive a bit earlier then the one needing stuff tanked that was minimized (windowed)
    Proud supporter of the new expansion. Sure it has it's share of bugs, like any games. But for a pure farmer/grinder, that's a whole lot of new mobs to go beat up b:chuckle
  • sangodoc
    sangodoc Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    truekossy wrote: »
    However, it is true that a while back many players noticed that some Iridescence wings had 3.2 while others only had 3.0. Not too sure if that was ever fixed or changed since I've never had one of the 3.0 ones and no topics concerning it were brought up after it was initially noticed.
    Actually, that was noticed long ago. The Iridescence, Rose Gold Gourd, and Razor Sting aerogear from the Aero Delight (found in some Anniversary Packs) had a +3.0 speed, while all later releases had a +3.2 speed. The solution given was to submit a ticket that includes a screenshot of your aerogear showing the aerogear's speed and they will help you get your aerogear upgraded.

Also, I updated the wiki to note that the base flying speed is 5.0 m/sec for all classes.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Visit the PWI wiki for the useful information. Stay at the PWI wiki for the pie. ;-)
  • Fluxal - Dreamweaver
    edited April 2011
    Sangodoc wrote: »
    Also, I updated the wiki to note that the base flying speed is 5.0 m/sec for all classes.

Thank you b:pleased