Merchants : WTF did I miss?

Vitenka - Dreamweaver
Vitenka - Dreamweaver Posts: 4,125 Arc User
edited March 2011 in General Discussion
Ok - so, gold has hit 1m and is rising.

Why? I thought the dragons-fire sale wasn't actually in place? (And even if it is, 53% off isn't that much better than 35%, is it?)

I didn't think anyone bought socket stones, the change of getting a gem is pretty darn low...

And mounts, whilst shiny, deprecate insanely quickly, and being on sale for $5 means they're surely going to move onto a permanent lower price soon.

So yeah - what am I missing? Why has gold skyrocketed this time?

Edit: Battle pets, sure - but those don't usually raise prices by THIS much!
Post edited by Vitenka - Dreamweaver on

Comments

• Ankiel - Raging Tide
    Ankiel - Raging Tide Posts: 260 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    people tend to buy gold on tuesdays in anticipation of sales, so that could give it a temo boost

on RT, i was able to get gold for 850k, so it dropped over 100k since yesterday.. i would give it a day or 2, and see where its at
  • Boogiepanda - Raging Tide
    Boogiepanda - Raging Tide Posts: 4,682 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Battle pets & true gem/dragon fire packs.

Also kitty fashion :D
  • Quilue - Sanctuary
    Quilue - Sanctuary Posts: 5,787 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    uh...how about ninetails for 5 gold?
    Elena Costel: I wash my hands of this affair.
    Legerity: *drags you back* *stains your hands with said affair*
    Elena Costel: Noooo... I don't want to have a dirty affair with Lady Legerity...
    Qui: b:dirty
  • Vitenka - Dreamweaver
    edited March 2011
    uh...how about ninetails for 5 gold?

Not seeing it. It's pretty, sure, but it'll deprecate like crazy.

And, uh, the kitty fashion, which I confess I got, is actually really frakin terirble looking.
  • Quilue - Sanctuary
    edited March 2011
    Its value depreciates because it's not expendable, sure, but 5m for a mount people will take it. Need a mount for every one of your alts? Now is the chance. Let's just see if gold drops when the sale ends in 24hours.
    Elena Costel: Noooo... I don't want to have a dirty affair with Lady Legerity...
  • TheDan - Sanctuary
    TheDan - Sanctuary Posts: 3,495 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    I'm a merchant myself, but I didn't find it worthwhile to invest in 5 gold mounts. Most the time I see scarlet Ninetails and etc go in the bidding hall for 8 gold. I wouldn't waste your money waiting weeks to sell a mount for like 3M profit. I'm pretty sure it's just the demand from normal consumers that are bumping gold prices up, merchants don't get much out of this sale at all really since these items can't be flipped very easily.

I like items that can be liquidated easily in case something ever comes up and my BM needs to steal money for a quick upgrade or something.
    BM PvP Guide: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1320761

YouTube channels: youtube.com/TheDan912 and youtube.com/TheDanPWI
  • Mendy__ - Sanctuary
    Mendy__ - Sanctuary Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    when will people learn... it is fashion that controls pwi economy b:chuckle

=^_^= im a kitty now! yay <3
  • TheDan - Sanctuary
    TheDan - Sanctuary Posts: 3,495 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    when will people learn... it is fashion that controls pwi economy b:chuckle

=^_^= im a kitty now! yay <3

I will have to agree (as soon as they come out with tassels). b:cute
    BM PvP Guide: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1320761

YouTube channels: youtube.com/TheDan912 and youtube.com/TheDanPWI
  • SashaGray - Heavens Tear
    SashaGray - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,765 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    because hundreds of budding merchants all think they will be able to make a 5m + profit off of flipping the 1 day sale mounts in a week b:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973
    Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973 Posts: 7,881 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    I agree with OP. Prices are usually inflated on Wednesdays due to first day buyers. Wait till tomorrow to see the true price of gold.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Refining Simulator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/refiningsimulator.html (don't use IE)
    Genie Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/geniecalculator.html - (don't use IE)
    Socket Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/socketcalculator.html
  • Vitenka - Dreamweaver
    edited March 2011
    Yeah, they usually spike a bit - but this was a 30% rise, and it's stayed there for almost 12 hours now!

I guess it might be people figuring it's their cheapest way to a ninetails, which is, after all, still a very pretty mount.

Also - the kitty fashion? On a cat venomancer? VERY silly. Two tails, SIX ears, and hulk-hands.
  • Quilue - Sanctuary
    edited March 2011
    I'm a merchant myself, but I didn't find it worthwhile to invest in 5 gold mounts. Most the time I see scarlet Ninetails and etc go in the bidding hall for 8 gold. I wouldn't waste your money waiting weeks to sell a mount for like 3M profit. I'm pretty sure it's just the demand from normal consumers that are bumping gold prices up, merchants don't get much out of this sale at all really since these items can't be flipped very easily.

I like items that can be liquidated easily in case something ever comes up and my BM needs to steal money for a quick upgrade or something.

That's why no one is likely getting it for profit. Not everyone buying gold is trying to make money, some may simply be getting it for themselves.
  • Myerling - Sanctuary
    Myerling - Sanctuary Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    and their
  • Nayx - Sanctuary
    Nayx - Sanctuary Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    many, many
  • XJinxx - Sanctuary
    XJinxx - Sanctuary Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Alts....i do have more alts, but it would be obnoxious.
  • WritersBlock - Sanctuary
    WritersBlock - Sanctuary Posts: 96 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Yeah, they usually spike a bit - but this was a 30% rise, and it's stayed there for almost 12 hours now!

I guess it might be people figuring it's their cheapest way to a ninetails, which is, after all, still a very pretty mount.

Also - the kitty fashion? On a cat venomancer? VERY silly. Two tails, SIX ears, and hulk-hands.

I agree about the fashion. I put it on in the boutique just to see and O.O uugggggllyyy kitty.

Posers ;p
    b:angry why isn't there a thumbs up smiley?!?!?!
  • ItsAWolf - Archosaur
    ItsAWolf - Archosaur Posts: 464 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    I've seen WCs of people "WTB 10 bad panda 10 ninetails 4 m each"

I'm not quite sure whether they just have a lot of alts or think it's going to be profitable to merchant an item that now everybody has. Or they want to start a zoo of course.
  • Xarathox - Dreamweaver
    Xarathox - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,657 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Eh, gold prices rose to due to cheap and highly desirable items.

Also: Merchants aren't getting anything out of it? We gold merchants are. b:cute
    Some people risk to employ me

Some people live to destroy me

Either way they die
  • Knownase - Heavens Tear
    Knownase - Heavens Tear Posts: 6,959 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Exactly, alot of ppl will fail to merch the mount, if that was their intentions, and barely make any profit.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    b:flowerHave a Techno Rave Flower!b:flower

-Self-Proclaimed TW commentator of HT-
    -Certified Barbarian Master-
    -You gained +10 coolness points for viewing this signature-
    -Master of Coffee-
  • Makiruxx - Sanctuary
    Makiruxx - Sanctuary Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    I for one just bought the ninetails mount because it looked pretty on my sin. $5 in real money is usually how much it always has been going for in ingame coins. b:cute
  • Vitenka - Dreamweaver
    edited March 2011
    Eh, gold prices rose to due to cheap and highly desirable items.

Also: Merchants aren't getting anything out of it? We gold merchants are. b:cute

Well yeah, my only complaint is how long I'm, gonn ahave to wait before I can restock on gold.

It just surprised the heck out of me, and I wondered if I was missing something.

But no, just the random irraitonalness of people who really like the really really shiny fox mount.

Dammit. I'm gonna regret not getting one now, aren't I?

I already HAVE three mounts. One is a fishie. I really can't justify getting a fourth. But ooooh I've got not-buyers remorse.
  • Quilue - Sanctuary
    edited March 2011
    Gold is down to 800k on Sanct, how about DW? b:laugh
  • EmeryFlower - Dreamweaver
    EmeryFlower - Dreamweaver Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Gold is down to 800k on Sanct, how about DW? b:laugh

Last night it was down to high 800k buying. Selling was low 900k.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Happily forum married to Zannie again. >:O Haters gonna hate
  • Evga - Sanctuary
    Evga - Sanctuary Posts: 779 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    arrrrrr, i want gold price to drop and token price to go up asap.... sooo much coins to reinvest QQ
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Ankiel - Raging Tide
    Ankiel - Raging Tide Posts: 260 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    bout 800k on Rt, but swinging 50k in either direction often
  • Quilue - Sanctuary
    edited March 2011
    Ahh so what have we learned?

When something people like becomes unusually cheap in gold,

People that charge money are likely to spend it on that instead of selling it, driving gold prices up. As far as they're concerned, 80% off on this!

People that don't charge for gold but want gold for whatever reason (could also be the cheap mount) become desperate, contributing to the gold price rise as well.

This was not really a case of anyone trying to make profit off of mounts, it's all them other peasants' doing.
  • Depraved - Raging Tide
    Depraved - Raging Tide Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Since when did cash shoppers start calling themselves "Merchants"?b:chuckle
    Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish.
  • FoxRunning - Heavens Tear
    FoxRunning - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    with this sudden, incredible drop in prices on two of the most popular pets, i bet they are gonig to put out some of the new ones that you can see on ecatomb....and i hope one of them is the Brilliant Plumes....oh, so beautiful!b:kiss

Ok - so, gold has hit 1m and is rising.

Why? I thought the dragons-fire sale wasn't actually in place? (And even if it is, 53% off isn't that much better than 35%, is it?)

I didn't think anyone bought socket stones, the change of getting a gem is pretty darn low...

And mounts, whilst shiny, deprecate insanely quickly, and being on sale for $5 means they're surely going to move onto a permanent lower price soon.

So yeah - what am I missing? Why has gold skyrocketed this time?

Edit: Battle pets, sure - but those don't usually raise prices by THIS much!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    (and hugs to Flauschkatze for the sig!)
    "Thanks for writing me-- it's always great to hear from a vet.

-FrankieRaye"
    Playing here since '08b:heart