Do you have to pay real money to get mounts and/or pets?

jaromirwolfdog
jaromirwolfdog Posts: 6 Arc User
edited March 2011 in Dungeons & Tactics
Hi. I'm new. My cousin and I just joined Perfect World. We were reading the wiki and noticed that it said something about $1=100 zen=1 gold=100 Silver. So, we figured this meant that we had to pay real money to get mounts since they cost gold,but we also saw something called "Gold Trading" in the wiki and we read it and it said something about buying gold with coins. Are the coins the things you collect when you kill monsters? Is it possible to collect enough coins in-game to be able to buy a mount and/or pet without having to use real money and being able to buy it with only game money?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks. :)
Post edited by jaromirwolfdog on

Comments

• Flickerfae - Sanctuary
    Flickerfae - Sanctuary Posts: 351 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Short answer: No, you don't have to pay real money to get a mount.

Long answer: Excepting certain special cases (like the free anniversary mounts, which are only available for those who've played for a year), mounts have to be bought from the cash shop (aka the Boutique, which uses the Gold/Silver system) by someone. So, as a non-paying player, you have two ways to get those mounts, and both require lots of in-game money.

1: Gold Trading. This is a system in the game that lets you use in-game money to buy Gold for the cash shop... prices are pretty high right now, so this is likely to cost a lot (about 1 million coins per Gold piece... and the cheapest mount costs 7.5 Gold. So that's about 7,500,000 in-game coins. That amount of money is available by grinding and merchanting, but only after quite a while of playing.

2: Buying the mount off another player: In the game, there are things called "cat shops", which players can set up to be able to sell and buy between themselves (West Archosaur is typically so full of them the lag slows the game to a crawl). Occasionally, one will sell a mount that way. Also, check the Auction House. In both these cases, the price is determined by the person selling, so you'll occasionally luck out and find something cheap. You may luck out and find a cheap mount this way.

Both of these methods cost in-game money, and a lot of it. That said, yes, it is possible to earn that amount of coins in-game. Search the forums for money-making methods, and good luck.

Pets are completely unrelated to the cash shop, excepting Pheonix and Herc (Venomancer-only pets). Venos catch their own pets, Mystics summon them, and any class can obtain little non-combat pets (like cats or bear cubs) to follow them around by talking to the Zoo NPC (I forget her exact title) in SE Archosaur. She's easy to spot, since she's surrounded by adorable animals. b:chuckle

Hope this helps. Good luck.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

-Ignoring my main for alts since early '09
  • jaromirwolfdog
    edited March 2011
    Thank you very much. That really helps us. :)

(Yes. XD I'm a Venomancer so I can get my own pet. :P I'm assuming that's how it also works for Barbarians of the untamed race as well?)
  • sangodoc
    sangodoc Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    (Yes. XD I'm a Venomancer so I can get my own pet. :P I'm assuming that's how it also works for Barbarians of the untamed race as well?)
    No, only venomancers can tame battle pets. Mystics get battle pets ("summons" really) from their skills. All other classes can only have all-class pets, which just look cute but don't do anything.

Mounts are technically pets, but are very different. Any character can ride any ground mount, provided that they meet the mount's level requirement. Ground mounts cannot attack and you cannot attack while riding on them. There are some mounts you can buy from NPCs for coins, but generally you can find better/cheaper mounts in the Auction House.

Hope that helps!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Visit the PWI wiki for the useful information. Stay at the PWI wiki for the pie. ;-)
  • jaromirwolfdog
    edited March 2011
    Sangodoc wrote: »
    No, only venomancers can tame battle pets. Mystics get battle pets ("summons" really) from their skills. All other classes can only have all-class pets, which just look cute but don't do anything.

Mounts are technically pets, but are very different. Any character can ride any ground mount, provided that they meet the mount's level requirement. Ground mounts cannot attack and you cannot attack while riding on them. There are some mounts you can buy from NPCs for coins, but generally you can find better/cheaper mounts in the Auction House.

Hope that helps!

Thanks for the help. ^^