Reminder about white chat URLs

Options
Fintan - Lost City
Fintan - Lost City Posts: 1,245 Arc User
edited March 2011 in General Discussion
Since there are lots of new people to PWI (and judging from forum activity the past few hours), I thought it's my civic duty to remind everyone that if you see people shouting (repeatedly, especially) that if you go to a certain URL, great things will happen (such as lots of free coin/zen/gold/etc.), don't believe it.

In fact, don't even think about visiting the link.

If you do, there's a very good chance you'll end up with your account compromised and all your stuff gone. And it won't be "hacking", since you will have given them your username and password. Many times, they ask for it directly. Other times, they make you download a program that will quietly collect it in the background when you log in.

In either case, PWE isn't obligated to do anything to help you get back all the stuff you'll have lost; the Terms of Service explicitly say that:
PWE is not responsible for any misuse of your Account or your User ID, you agree to accept all risks of unauthorized access to your Account and to hold PWE and its affiliates harmless from and against any improper use of your Account or your User ID, including, but not limited to, improper use by someone to whom you revealed your password.
(Emphasis mine.)

The GMs are usually good about getting rid of the people spamming these scams. But they're only human. It takes them time to get to each report.

One of the best rules in real life applies to Perfect World, as well: If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. If you think it's possibly legitimate, ask people who have been around a while (especially if you've made friends who have been around since beta) and whom you trust. Even then, be skeptical.

I mention this because I saw one of these scams just moments ago spamming my white chat in Lost City on Lost City. There are unsavory sorts out there in Perfect World, just like the real world. Only you can keep yourself safe, in the end.
[sigpic][/sigpic]
MuSHRooMS - Lost City (currently inviting new members) b:victory
WeAreMuSHRooMS.com