I am LOVING the mystic class

Options
pokmin100
pokmin100 Posts: 0 Arc User
edited March 2011 in Mystic
Do you want a class that has a defensive pet who can tank for you, has TONS of skills and can even summon more stuff, can heal himself, his pet, others, buff his defense and more? yes please!

seriously, i started in PW as a venomancer, and i just didn't like it, something seemed missing to me. so i went wizard, still couidn't get into it. so i said "hey, lets try a melee class out?"

it was horrible.

so then i tried archer, and was pleasantly surprised, but still, the effect of having to stop every couple of monsters and carry around ammo, not to mention for some reason bow's seem to break often on me, made it a chore.

then i tried assassin and thought maybe it would be a better melee class!

Dear god why did i think that?! so slow compared to venomancer and wizard killing (PS, i don't and probably will never PVP, so that aspect of the assassin is lost on me.

so i was about to give up on perfect world, til i seen the mystic. yeah, it was a downside that i kept running out of mp, but i did a few offers and got me one of those MP charms, and i haven't looked back sense.

My only gripe is HOLY **** THE AMOUNT OF SPIRIT THIS CLASS NEEDS! but, i find it nice to have alot of skills, a pet to hide behind, and the power to heal myself.
Post edited by pokmin100 on

Comments

• AlysonRose - Heavens Tear
    AlysonRose - Heavens Tear Posts: 624 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options
    While I love psychic for the absolute control I usually have over every situation, it gets a lil repetitive. You spend all your time looking for openings or creating them and pew pewing mobs at the right times. Sure there are neat things I can do, but mostly its standing at max range and spamming the right skills.

One thing about Mystic I like that I miss from veno is how I can coordinate attacks simultaneously or separately and use debuffs to cripple mobs. Now I get to do that again and have better defense than I had in fox form, better pets than I had access to back then, way more debuffs, skills that massivly increase defense crit and attack, healing skills that I can use more than once every few minutes or at cost of most of my mp/chi, and I actually get to use my own damn sparks.

Also not having to find a cleric to rez if I'm off in past maps or something will be nice as opposed to auto going to town due to them being totally empty.

My only issue is that basic encounters can be really boring as mp costs relegate almost all of them to NV, AS, repeat on next mob. It nice that I have so many new skills but when I only end up using 2 of them 99% of the time anyways then I may as well delete the char and keep on psy b:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    f:sneakyf:sneakyf:sneaky
  • Meyki - Sanctuary
    Meyki - Sanctuary Posts: 222 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options
    So far I like my cleric and veno more than mystic. You can really use various combinations and do a lot of stuff as mystic, but for seriously high MP cost. And if you dont accept this extreme MP consumption, you end up using 2 skills and basic pet. Hopefully this will change at higher levels, because to me mystic is not just veno with healing ability.
  • Myrrmidonna - Dreamweaver
    Myrrmidonna - Dreamweaver Posts: 204 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Mystic is nice, but I still like my veno bettre, and probably would like my cleric better, too, if I was actually playing him nowdays. Mystic can do almost anything, but in every aspect they seem to lack something comparing to cleric and, especially, veno. I have 'frozen' my mystie at 40 (to feed geenies with cs exp and catch up with her skills with cs sp) and I think I will stay with my veno for the time being.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    DREAMWEAVER:
    Myrrmidonna, 8x Trickster b:sin
    Eskarinne, 5x Summoner b:cute

It is not the destination that makes the journey worthwhile...
  • Caterpie - Dreamweaver
    Caterpie - Dreamweaver Posts: 147 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options
    My only issue is that basic encounters can be really boring as mp costs relegate almost all of them to NV, AS, repeat on next mob. It nice that I have so many new skills but when I only end up using 2 of them 99% of the time anyways then I may as well delete the char and keep on psy b:chuckle

Eh, general grinding on my psy usually consisted of alternating between Aqua Impact and Spirit Blast (and Landslide if they got too close) until the mob died. Unless it was magic resistance, I never really varied from that 99% of the time, so it's not much different to me. .-.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Heavy Cash Shopping is the difference between understanding simple game mechanics at level 30, or level 101.
  • Pronseta - Archosaur
    Pronseta - Archosaur Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options
    It's kind of funny because my mystic is level 32 right now, and at this level to kill something as an assasian I'd need to be using around 10 different skills and gobbling two different potions just to kill stuff, and needed help just to kill bosses.

Now I can pretty much just sit back and watch my pet kill stuff while healing it. I'm glad they finally made a class for people like me that kinda suck. b:laugh
  • Vorken - Archosaur
    Vorken - Archosaur Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Now I can pretty much just sit back and watch my pet kill stuff while healing it. I'm glad they finally made a class for people like me that kinda suck. b:laugh
    If that is the case, then you should have switched to a veno a long time ago. The same opportunity to sit back and let the pet do the work, but none of the MP problems (veno's have skills that recovery MP and allow you to switch HP and MP.) In addition veno can pull mob (without using MP).
  • rgog
    rgog Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options
    My Mystic is level 41 now and I think I will go back to my Veno, Mystic really is just Veno Light - the rezz is the only really nice spell IMO other than that the Mystic does appear to offer much more than my Veno and the pet is much weaker and because I need to put so many points in magic (high mana use) he is super squishy!

My conclusion is, cool class to try out but not really enough different from my main to waste time leveling.
  • hellowutsup5
    hellowutsup5 Posts: 15
    edited March 2011
    Options
    If that is the case, then you should have switched to a veno a long time ago. The same opportunity to sit back and let the pet do the work, but none of the MP problems (veno's have skills that recovery MP and allow you to switch HP and MP.) In addition veno can pull mob (without using MP).

venos are kinda cool i guess, but thats all you ever did. and so far i have had NO mp problems of what so ever, when my mystic reached lvl 17 it had almost 2000 mp, the res spell at lvl 1 costs 455 mp (lvl 19, as you know), pocket change as far as im concerned, mystic pets are weaker then veno pets, veno pets can tank, pull, and distract mobs. one mystic pet (every mystic pet) can tank, pull, distract, buff allies, debuff mobs, fly, swim, dont need food and dont need to be manually leveled, for me venos get to boring to quick, the only reason i would take a veno to endgame would be the "hood" skill.
    mystics are weaker then the original classes (wizard, veno, cleric), but i would take a slightly weaker mix of all three instead of needing three different characters to do the same thing one mystic can do. b:chuckle b:bye

my name is Hellowutsup5 and i am LOVING the mystic class
  • Caterpie - Dreamweaver
    Caterpie - Dreamweaver Posts: 147 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options
    [...]the res spell at lvl 1 costs 455 mp (lvl 19, as you know)[...]

Good job taking the incorrect mana cost straight from Ecatomb. b:chuckle

It actually costs 650mp at level 1.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Heavy Cash Shopping is the difference between understanding simple game mechanics at level 30, or level 101.
  • hellowutsup5
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Good job taking the incorrect mana cost straight from Ecatomb. b:chuckle

It actually costs 650mp at level 1.

i hate sounding like a newb, but i actually have no clue what "ecatomb" is.
    that is odd, cause on my in game skill tree it says 455 (looking at it as we speak), but yet
    you are right when i use it it takes 650 from my mana pool, what could cause this?

(disclaimer: i in no way have ever **** or changed any PWI files on my comp in order to change anything server side or client side)
  • Daltia - Sanctuary
    Daltia - Sanctuary Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Ecatomb.net is a website with info for PWI and a couple of other PW versions, probably the most useful section of the website, is the skills section, which details every skill for every class at every level of said skills. a nice resource for planning out what you might want to strive for first, as it also gives you the coin/spirit costs for each level. there are other sections (bosses, quests, mounts) to check out, but they can be somewhat incomplete.
  • Ivory - Harshlands
    Ivory - Harshlands Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options
    yeah ecatomb tell what will probably come in pwi www.ecatomb.net also Mystics are awesome for a team not only heal, debuff and attack at the same time but u can actually make a 3 person in 1 awesome I ask a bm friend to tank my bh and I help him debuffing healing him and inflicting damage to the boss....
  • jiq
    jiq Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options
    You probably tried these classes only for a few lvls. Stopping at a low lvl will only give you false images of the classes. How about lvling one to 80+? :)
  • hellowutsup5
    edited March 2011
    Options
    jiq wrote: »
    You probably tried these classes only for a few lvls. Stopping at a low lvl will only give you false images of the classes. How about lvling one to 80+? :)

yeah for me it starts to get dull at 40, i would lvl way higher but i dont have enough time or opportunities to play, so it makes things drag on.

however i still stand with what i said earlier
    i would rather have a weaker mix of all three then needing three different characters, i just really like the flexibility.
  • Lnari - Harshlands
    Lnari - Harshlands Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options
    I am absolutely loving this class right now.

We're very useful in FCs, most people don't realize our potentials just yet. We can replace any of the "DD" arch types in FC parties effectively with the debuffs/heals/herbs and storm mistress's aoe. We can also occasionally replace the cleric (I've soloed healed 1 full run so far with a decent squad, healing herb + vital herb makes healing almost effortless)
  • LenieClarke - Heavens Tear
    LenieClarke - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,275 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options

venos are kinda cool i guess, but thats all you ever did.

then you didn't play veno very well. oh well, no biggie, hope you have more fun on the mystic.

(i try to keep myself busy whenever i play veno in a squad; if i'm not firing something new off or planning for what to do when the cooldowns line up right, it's usually because i'm hiding from an AoE and feeling guilty about not amping at least. and it seems i'm always feeling guilty about not watching for other squaddies' spark usage and lending-hand them as much as i might.)

i haven't tried it yet, but i'd think effective mystic playing should be pretty hectic actually... you've got other squad members to heal and protect, while cooperating with the cleric on that; debuffs and plants to manage; the pet to keep running, DDing, using its skills, and whatnot; your own DD skills to use; and all on top of general gameplay, positioning yourself, and situational awareness. doesn't it get pretty stressful?

for me venos get to boring to quick, the only reason i would take a veno to endgame would be the "hood" skill.

y'know, i've had bramble hood for several levels now, and i can't recall ever using it. i keep thinking it'd be nice for the damage reduction, but when i actually start taking damage, things have usually gone so wrong i'm too frazzled to think of a skill i never use otherwise... (and i'm very far from "endgame", at that.)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Heaven's Tear alts: KenLubin, Sou_Hon, JudyCaraco --- level 5x chars.
  • AlysonRose - Heavens Tear
    AlysonRose - Heavens Tear Posts: 624 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options
    I like it because its hectic. Its takes me back to my first veno toon, and I'm learning a lil bit of the cleric trade at the same time.

Its nice to get in a squad and not wait forever for a cleric to show up, plus with falling petals i can put it on someone (or the whole squad) and then they can run off ahead like idiots if they want to because they will be healed without me needing to be in range as i run after them lol

Also I've since started actually using vital herb, and even at lv 2 its really awesome. Cleric heals tank, and I keep the pew pew section healed from aoes. I still think healing herb is either redundant or underpowered, but mine is still lv2. I enjoy that it actually has a range now. Its unusable at lv1.

So to anyone that doesn't know yet, when you see the crazy red herb, pretend its a bb and get all up in there. And if you see a bunch of green light around me, try to not run away from it if you need healing lol.

Its bad enough using bubble of life to heal people that run away with 25% health, but mist takes even longer to use.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    f:sneakyf:sneakyf:sneaky
  • Cenire - Sanctuary
    Cenire - Sanctuary Posts: 69 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options
    I love Mystics as well, and I have learned to cope with the high mp cost. Mine is currently lvl 51 and I'm guessing at lvl 75+ the mp problem gets a little better with those 5k mp pots.

I love playing a support class and mystic is the epitome of that. And it's also capable of soloing quite well. I couldn't ask for anything more.
  • Cerviviza - Heavens Tear
    Cerviviza - Heavens Tear Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options
    As far as the MP problem is concerned, keep up on the apothecary skill so you can make your own MP pots and MP and HP regen pots.

They do mitigate low stats and regen rates. Although you would need to spend a bit of time farming in addition to opportunistic farming of herbs.

EDIT: I also have quite a bit of fun on my mystic
  • obliviondemon
    obliviondemon Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options
    i also love the mystic class the only problem is the mana cost witch will get better at high lvls b:pleased b:victory

mystics will rule at endgame
  • hellowutsup5
    edited March 2011
    Options
    y'know, i've had bramble hood for several levels now, and i can't recall ever using it. i keep thinking it'd be nice for the damage reduction, but when i actually start taking damage, things have usually gone so wrong i'm too frazzled to think of a skill i never use otherwise... (and i'm very far from "endgame", at that.)

i have a lvl 7x ish friend who uses it to beat lvl 95+ characters, she beat a 103 sort of, it was a barb and he just used his most powerful attk "imma using mai most pwrful attck", she used "hood" and one hit him, she died to do to not enough damage reduction. so really we dont know who actually one cause it said defeat on both players screens. but still it was pretty funny to watch

EDIT: oh and @ AlysonRose - Heavens Tear, i love your bard sig, a bard would be awesome, the ultimate buff/debuffer
  • Earthria - Lost City
    Earthria - Lost City Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options
    I'm getting somewhat bored with mine, not to mention that I'm ****ping my event boutique mp charm while having fun with my skills. Using pots wasn't just going to cut it for soloing tanking bh bosses. I don't exactly see much endgame potential for this class except for res buffing a cleric that's about to enter an instance.