What gear to keep, sell, or NPC?

Frosette - Sanctuary
Frosette - Sanctuary Posts: 15 Arc User
edited March 2011 in Dungeons & Tactics
So I discovered through killing monster mobs you get drops and some are gear but the thing is I am not sure whether to keep them for future use since some I can wear but am not able to due to lack of points and I know there is the option of if I should sell them in a vend/stall, or just NPC them? So how do you determine whether you want to keep/sell via a stall or NPC the items? If it helps, I am a Mystic.

Help?
Thanks for reading.
Sorry for the bother....
Member of the Electrum Faction.
Seeking friends on the Sanctuary Server.
Characters:
Zeverick - Male Tideborn Psychic
Frosette - Female Earthguard Mystic
Khalitz - Female Elven Cleric
SmexyFang - Male Untamed Barb
Suzietta - Female Human Blademaster
Post edited by Frosette - Sanctuary on

Comments

• LenieClarke - Heavens Tear
    LenieClarke - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,275 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    it helps to know WHY you can't use a piece of gear, too.

is it some gear you wouldn't be using in the first place, like a non-magic weapon when all your characters are magic users, for instance? then the only decision is whether it's good enough to sell to other players, or whether it's so mediocre you can only NPC it.

is it some gear you can see at least one character of yours using, but none of them have the right levels for it yet? then you can just mail it to that character and wait. i do this a lot.

is it something you might use, except that you already have something better? then it might be good enough to sell on the auction house, or in a catshop.

"good enough to sell" tends to start at two stars or better. for armor, i don't bother wearing anything that doesn't have all five elemental resistances, myself, and so i don't sell it either. EXCEPTION: if it has -chan or -int on it; either of those makes the thing worth lots.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Heaven's Tear alts: KenLubin, Sou_Hon, JudyCaraco --- level 5x chars.
  • Vitenka - Dreamweaver
    Vitenka - Dreamweaver Posts: 4,125 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    More of less:

Keep it only if it is better than your current gear. But to make that decision you need to know what you WANT from your gear. Is +str better than +vit? Is this gear having no metal defence a worry, when it has better +pdef? That all depends on your character.

If you've decided not to keep it (or ARE keeping it, and now need to sell your old gear) you have to decide what to do with it.

Your choices are; Sell in catshop, Sell in AH, Decomp, Sell to NPC, Give it away, drop it on the floor. (Oh, and sell by worldchat, but that's only for very expensive stuff.)

And more or less, that's the order of how good the choices are. But to be able to sell it, other people have to want to buy it (And they have different priorities from you - they probably care about its colour and the number of sockets and that's probably ALL they care about. You can make decent coin by refining your gear to +1 or +2, which just uses mirages, but helps it sell.)

Decomp gear if you need the chi stones, or you fancy selling chi stones (which makes a profit but takes forever)

Frankly, I sell pretty much everything to an NPC now. It's not the best money, but the stuff doesn't sell very well to players any more, too many 'new' payers are alts using mold gear.
    Int and channel gear is, of course, the exception - but at higher levbels even THAT stops being true - people with channel gear generally already have -3 and want better or nothing.

Goodluck to you if you do sell to players, it's better coin if you can mange it.