Mystics: bosskillers?

Nowitsawn - Heavens Tear
Nowitsawn - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,864 Arc User
edited March 2011 in Mystic
Now most of us know that level [?] monsters are infact level 150, which is meant to give you a damage reduction of 75%. It was already widely known that venomancer pets do not have this reduction, making them efficient DD's on monsters such as these.

Mystics have this too on their summons, but the damage... it's just off the charts.

Ofcourse we all love pictures so here you go:

Thicket damage (yes, this skill counts as a summon)
As you can see, this level 1 thicket with only a tt60 weapon already did around 15k damage on this mob (I did not damage it before taking this pic). Any other class would have to hit for 60.000 damage for it to be 15k on a [?] boss. Since thicket damage depends mostly on weapon damage (1200% weapon damage to be exact), and the weapon my mystic used in this pic was only an average tt60 weapon, you can already imagine the damage it would do with a r9 +12 weapon.

Cragglord damage
The 13k damage it did in that pic was with its first AoE skill, normal attacks did around 5k each or so. It even managed to kill the mob in the pic before unsummoning so that's 80k damage in 20 seconds.
Any other class would need to dish out 320.000 damage in 20 seconds to do the same, and again this is a level 1 cragglord summon with a tt60 weapon.

The added benefit of this is that grabbing aggro with craggy here is no problem, it has some heavy defenses (not quite as high as a herc however) and can tank a boss if it needs to for 20 secs. When it unsummons, aggro is gone and the boss will switch to the tanker (can't put this in a picture ofcourse, but after cragglord unsummons a chihyu can grab aggro again in a few hits for me).

So... thoughts on this?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by Nowitsawn - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• Caterpie - Dreamweaver
    Caterpie - Dreamweaver Posts: 147 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Full Thicket damage on bosses = sex on a stick.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Heavy Cash Shopping is the difference between understanding simple game mechanics at level 30, or level 101.
  • ArchAngeLi - Harshlands
    ArchAngeLi - Harshlands Posts: 285 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    well actually those bosses have their defenses really lowered, I can't withdraw any conclusions based on that mob in particular. Try testing with TT bosses or WBs and then you can get reliable damage data.

On the other hand, Thicket doesn't deal 1200% weapon damage, it's probably a typo or something. I've even tested it with frenzy and with cube/warsong ornaments for a couple extra attack levels and it's nowhere near close 12x wpn dmg.
  • Zepherus - Harshlands
    Zepherus - Harshlands Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Can you post pls a photo with your armor? i wanna see all pieces :D
    Ty very much Ossetiab:thanks
  • Nowitsawn - Heavens Tear
    edited March 2011
    well actually those bosses have their defenses really lowered, I can't withdraw any conclusions based on that mob in particular. Try testing with TT bosses or WBs and then you can get reliable damage data.

I suppose that's true, I just picked that mob out of convenience because it was the most accessible [?] mob at the time. But even counting in this advantage over defense, it's still near impossible for another class near level 60 to do such damage on their own without any special debuffs (a veno with a nix might be an exception).

I did another test on a Basilisk Madtooth (a level 101 mob, but still 40 levels above my character so the damage reduction is the same). It has about the same defenses as a TT3-3 boss):
    Click me.
    Here it did about 40k worth of damage before unsummoning and adds up to about 160k damage in 20 seconds for other classes, which is still quite high for a level 60.

Thicket on the other hand did something quite remarkable and I don't really have an explanation for it, but it didn't damage the mobs at all. I tried several times on different types of mobs in the area and the thicket spawns didn't even attack them, they only froze the target and didn't silence them either (which might just be a coincidence). I guess this needs testing, but to be blunt, I can't be assed to go through a TT with this character b:chuckle

So it either doesn't damage mobs with a high defense, or it doesn't damage mobs above your own level with [?] mobs as an exception. I hope it's the latter, but if it really is useless on bosses then I suppose you can still use those 2 sparks for a cragglord summon which does way more damage, even though it's over a longer timespan.

On the other hand, Thicket doesn't deal 1200% weapon damage, it's probably a typo or something. I've even tested it with frenzy and with cube/warsong ornaments for a couple extra attack levels and it's nowhere near close 12x wpn dmg.

Well it did 15k damage on that nightspike mob (which appears to have no defenses at all according to pwdatabase) and the weapon damage of my weapon, which is an average of 609, multiplied by 12 and added to 3755 equals 11085. Factor in about 30% extra (I know that's not exactly how attack levels work, but it's close enough) damage from the jones blessing and you've got an answer that's pretty close to what you see in that first picture.

If thicket really counts as a summon it shouldn't take effect from attack levels though, but who knows...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Nowitsawn - Heavens Tear
    edited March 2011
    Can you post pls a photo with your armor? i wanna see all pieces :D

And here you go.

It's the level 60 rank 4 (5000 rep) armor.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • AlysonRose - Heavens Tear
    AlysonRose - Heavens Tear Posts: 624 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    I just got craglord and thicket last night. So far I like thicket, tho it seems to do like 4 or 5 hits of around 1400 damage which seems low to me considering its like 12X wepon damage + like 3.5k. I'm probably overestimating how much 12x a +3 dragon's will really is.

I wasn't expecting it to do that multi hit thing, and from what I can tell the silence when it procs is way longer than gale force. Its longer than soul of silence and seems to be able to proc on each hit with freeze. So the chances of debuffing a group is exponential. Its a handy skill for when I actually have 2 sparks (I miss my sage chi skill QQ).

That being said, I think the far better use of 2 sparks is craglord. At first I had serious trouble getting it to actually run over and attack a mob, but it was just a pathfinding issue or something. Then I was annoyed that its self aoe doesn't make it go over to the target, but cast it right where it is standing. After I got it settled though, its a beast! I send it at a mob and it dies, then it automatically goes after every other mob it hit with the splash damage. I just wish it stayed for a few more seconds. If I could get 3 or 4 good attacks out of it I'd be happy. As it is I can get one punch one aoe and maybe another punch out of it assuming I can get it to the mobs quick enough and it doesn't get any auto attacks in. Those still do good damage but its other attacks are like an aoe NV amped Absorb Soul.

To hear that they are tt boss friendly makes me a happy panda b:thanks

I still think that storm mistress does way too little damage to justify using her. She has poor defense, poor hp, and does only slightly more damage than NV mostly because I use her on wood mobs. Her aoe would work a lot better if she didn't run right up to mobs to channel it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    f:sneakyf:sneakyf:sneaky
  • Barunaa - Heavens Tear
    Barunaa - Heavens Tear Posts: 420 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    ive said this a few times but the skill description on thicket is correct, ppl are just interpeting it the wrong way.

the thickets do individual dmg over a short period of time just like cragglord. i forget how many thickets spawn but each thicket does some dmg. at the end of the thickets lifespan the TOTAL dmg that has been dealt is the 12x weapon dmg +xxxxx w/e.

so dont think of thicket as a single skill that does the 12x dmg in a single instance like BiDs or something. it does that damage over time. a very short period of time. an army of limited pets atking the same target to equal the dmg u see in the description.

so yes, the description is correct. the sage version of this skill (if the chines demon/sage descriptions are right) will be even more insane. it adds another 1.5k dmg i believe. so any mystic with +12 r9 will **** with this skill.

but cragglord is probally a even better alternative since it last longer and does deals more DPS in those 20 seconds (23 seconds for sage). i just still wish craggie was perm tho...

mystics are mainly just a class for short bursts of damage. even if cragglord is 2x better then a nix, a nix is still better and more convenient because nixes are perm... thats the thing i dont like about the mystics and what puts me off from them. short bursts of high dmg will only get u so far.

and if ur fighting a sin they can just stealth till cragglord runns out. as as for other classes? they can holy path out of the way. so in pvp both thicket and cragglord are useless because u can just holy path out of them. and thats the most simple way to avoid them, im sure they are others.