Tankability vs Diversity?

HarmOwnie - Dreamweaver
HarmOwnie - Dreamweaver Posts: 574 Arc User
edited March 2011 in Blademaster
Hi,

my question is rather simple i want a BM which is able to use all weapon trees. That would lead me to a

stat point distribution in str 3 dex 2 every lvl

or 6str 4 dex every two lvl like mentioned in the bm guide. By distributing my stat points that way there will be

no points left to put into vit

so the question is will i still be able to get enough hp in total to work as a puller or semi tank? I mean most people suggest to go for 50 points in vit which is a total difference of 750hp which doesnt sound to much for me when it comes to survivability endgame.

I dont want to use this character for PVP or TW i just want to know how the build works for PvE because im aware that vit and having high hp is crucial for winning pvp situations

greetz harm0wnie
Post edited by HarmOwnie - Dreamweaver on

Comments

• Zanryu - Dreamweaver
    Zanryu - Dreamweaver Posts: 7,261 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Yes. Using the 3 Str, 2 Dex build on my BM I was able to tank every boss I needed excluding Pole and Nob in FB69 (though I could tank them in my 80s for BH) and I was able to tank at least half of the bosses in FC in my 80s (I only did FCs up to the heads then so I didn't try tanking the rest). Pulling was a bit challenging and I couldn't take the full magic hall until I got my TT90 but still, using a 3/2 build will allow you to tank/pull in most instances as long as you know what you're doing.
  • _Perses_ - Lost City
    _Perses_ - Lost City Posts: 1,917 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    What Zanryu said.

I've been pulling and tanking in Frost all throughout my lvl 8x because of the impatience I have for slow groups. This has amped up even more since I got my Frost fist, and even more now that I got demon spark.
    And this is even considering the fact I have under 5k hp unbuffed.

Sadly, most people only do half frosts cause they are too damn lazy. Which is why I can't wait till 99 cause i'm gonna tell all of them to **** off and be running it solo mode. Cause I know how to deal with the other bosses and most other's seem to not realize, sadly.

Since i'm thinking bout it:

Boss after big room - Demon spark purge or have cleric purge. Otherwise not hard.
    Phoenix Boss - Demon spark and HP pots. Be wary of his AOE seal and magic hit. He will also put a debuff on ya that will steal your chi when he hits ya.
    Body/Soul - Just lure one of them and kill it.
    Hoolen - This guy is a ***** w/o a charm, so I suggest having one. What you do is every second you have demon spark hit it. Make sure you keep out of range of his stun (it's super close stun so not much issue), he'll also do a seal. Then at different interval's he'll do two magic attacks which will normally tick the charm of anybody.
    Nothing worthwhile to mention here, enjoy the animated signature~

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TheDan - Sanctuary
    TheDan - Sanctuary Posts: 3,495 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    More dps = faster farming = faster gearing. If you're not going to PvP, you don't even need survivability. However, it's good to get a good team started so you can always farm full buffed. Keep in mind 750 HP + 35% HP from level 11 buffs + 5% HP necklace adds up. Vitality also adds a little bit of magic def and phys def.

My BM has 13K HP unbuffed with 3 vit and I PvP a lot. If you can get a good base of coin to work with, 50-100m. You can merchant while farming to gain cash fast and use the excess cash to gear up while still having a base of the 50-100m for cat shop.
    BM PvP Guide: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1320761

YouTube channels: youtube.com/TheDan912 and youtube.com/TheDanPWI
  • HarmOwnie - Dreamweaver
    HarmOwnie - Dreamweaver Posts: 574 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Yes. Using the 3 Str, 2 Dex build on my BM I was able to tank every boss I needed excluding Pole and Nob in FB69 (though I could tank them in my 80s for BH) and I was able to tank at least half of the bosses in FC in my 80s (I only did FCs up to the heads then so I didn't try tanking the rest). Pulling was a bit challenging and I couldn't take the full magic hall until I got my TT90 but still, using a 3/2 build will allow you to tank/pull in most instances as long as you know what you're doing.
    thx that's what i wanted to know
  • ArchSaber - Sanctuary
    ArchSaber - Sanctuary Posts: 1,440 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Used 3 str 2 dex until 89. Started pulling every fcc room at 82 with 13k p def and 3.5k m def. At 89, I put more into vit. As hedan said, vit is not really needed in PvP. And more damage relates to making money faster. Also when soloing a dungeon, more damage with fist would come in more handy with survivability when it comes to having bloodpaint. demon spark + bloodsuck = sex.
    AP classes are a real butt pounding...
  • Runemine - Dreamweaver
    Runemine - Dreamweaver Posts: 572 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    I myself was a barb build till 88 i had huge HP and pulled FCs easy till then ,After i restat my HP went down BAD Went from like 8k HP unbuffed with no shards or refine to near nothin ,But when start get better gear and refine even a little but and put citrines problem is solved very fast and more -int get more HP from BP is another bonus
    101 Blademaster(Pro/Fail 4.0 BM with 11k base HP+G16(+10))
    100 Seeker(The Vortex Beast)
    86 Assassin(Solo king)
    76 Archer(Squishy Nuker)
    72 Cleric(Horrible healer)
    67 Barb(Buff baby)
    61 Wizard(King Aoe)
    37 Mystic(Fun project)
  • Okeano - Harshlands
    Okeano - Harshlands Posts: 4,943 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Much of BM's survivability depends on the correct usage of Alter Marrow magical and physical. Aware of which one you are using for what type of mobs/bosses and note that they do last 30 seconds. You don't want to have physical Marrow on from 10 seconds ago when you were using them to gain chi then run into a group of magic mobs. It might be a simple concept but I just can't count the number of times I seen it happen in FC.
  • Zanryu - Dreamweaver
    edited March 2011
    Much of BM's survivability depends on the correct usage of Alter Marrow magical and physical. Aware of which one you are using for what type of mobs/bosses and note that they do last 30 seconds. You don't want to have physical Marrow on from 10 seconds ago when you were using them to gain chi then run into a group of magic mobs. It might be a simple concept but I just can't count the number of times I seen it happen in FC.

I tank magic mobs in Phys marrow like a boss b:cool
  • Joshcja - Sanctuary
    Joshcja - Sanctuary Posts: 3,502 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    I tank magic mobs in Phys marrow like a boss b:cool

*sneaks up and hits BIDS*
    Gifs are hard to make work here
  • Zanryu - Dreamweaver
    edited March 2011
    *sneaks up and hits BIDS*

*Hits Absolute Domain* TANKED! b:cool
  • BleuFrost - Heavens Tear
    BleuFrost - Heavens Tear Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Hi,

my question is rather simple i want a BM which is able to use all weapon trees. That would lead me to a

stat point distribution in str 3 dex 2 every lvl

or 6str 4 dex every two lvl like mentioned in the bm guide. By distributing my stat points that way there will be

no points left to put into vit

so the question is will i still be able to get enough hp in total to work as a puller or semi tank? I mean most people suggest to go for 50 points in vit which is a total difference of 750hp which doesnt sound to much for me when it comes to survivability endgame.

I dont want to use this character for PVP or TW i just want to know how the build works for PvE because im aware that vit and having high hp is crucial for winning pvp situations

greetz harm0wnie

I only PvE on my BM. But I still have vit points along with my str and dex. I run all four weapon paths as well. I was able to tank part of my FB 69 @ lvl 70 (till an archer in squad massively critted on garnob & the main tank took over). Basically my FB's tank wanted to show me I could do it. I was tanking BH 69 regularly starting at lvl 83.

But on all my chars I don't tend to follow a specific X points to X (str, dex, vit) per lvl. Ended up getting into a few FFs in my early 90s for extra spirit for all the skills. Next thing I know I'm getting PMs on my main cause they want my BM for FF. I like having good hp and being able to use all 4 paths. The extra HP helped me when I ended up tanking Decaying Fragrance in FF when the Cleric DC'd and the sin tanking didn't see it in time to spark...and BP had run out when I ended up with agro LOL.

Should note I suppose that I'm sage not demon, and if this wasn't an alt I'd probably get the nirvana pants to make her 5.0aps but since she's an alt 4.0 aps works perfectly fine :)

Guess what I'm trying to say is you don't have to give up one thing to get another.