Mystic equipment

Emmii - Dreamweaver
Emmii - Dreamweaver Posts: 25 Arc User
edited September 2012 in Mystic
So in short, I have been playing PWI since the beginning of 2008 but really on and off cause I never found anyone to play with and if I did, they did not like it as much as I did. I have enough knowledge about the game generally, what what is for, how to upgrade equipment, the instances yadda yadda but I have zero knowledge about equipment..
My veno (not this alt I post on) never reached higher then 31 and my cleric never higher then 20.

Basicly I never came to a point where I should consider what armor to wear and wich weapon since 31 I think is still a level where you use whatever is given to you

So my question is (hopefully) simple for all you pwi veterans;
'At wich level should I start thinkin of specific gear for my mystic n what gear would that be'?
Rockin teh Dreamweaver server.

[Main] Victorique ~ Mystic
Post edited by Emmii - Dreamweaver on

Comments

• YuYuu - Dreamweaver
    YuYuu - Dreamweaver Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    well, i'd say something like 6x~7x to really start worrying about equip :3
    from 1 to 4x quest and reputation equipment are pretty useful.
    At 5x u might wanna buy 2~3 stars gears and so... but the path to headache and concern is a little bit long .-.

Specific gears you would want i don't remember since it's been a while i don't play pwi
  • LenieClarke - Heavens Tear
    LenieClarke - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,275 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    up through level 6x you can wear quest rewards or particularly good mob drops. that's what i'm doing, it's working well for me, and this arcane armor veno should be fairly similar equipment-wise to a mystic i should think.

at level 30 you might want to think about rank 1 equipment --- it's not all that great for a veno, but look up the mystic's rank gear on the wiki website once you reach that point and see if it'd be better than whatever you're wearing then or not. if so get it, if not skip it.

starting at around level 70, i plan on looking through pwdatabase.com to see what's available and making up my mind based on what i can afford.

weapons are another matter; use the best one you can get at any given time, really. at level 19, your FB19 reward should last you until level 35-40 or so. sometime around then i went looking through the database and the auction house to see what i could get --- try to aim for the Wheel of Fate at level 43 or shortly after; if you can get that, it'll last until your TT60 magicsword.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Heaven's Tear alts: KenLubin, Sou_Hon, JudyCaraco --- level 5x chars.
  • Zimgo - Dreamweaver
    Zimgo - Dreamweaver Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    and this arcane armor veno should be fairly similar equipment-wise to a mystic i should think.

More or less true. Keep in mind that venos use p.atk for their foxform whereas Mystics don't, but need a lot of mp recovery instead (no need for -chan as a mystic cause most skills are ~0.5 sec chan already, and we have Rapid Growth) since most of our spells chew through mana way faster than any other class (ie. our pet heal heals the same as a veno, but casts faster and costs more mana). :P
  • Shifong - Heavens Tear
    Shifong - Heavens Tear Posts: 409 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    It's always good to have a lot of channeling, regardless of how much mana everything costs. Mystic can be expensive on mana charm/potions so keep that in mind though.

For weapons, from lvl 1 to 59 the best thing you can do is go by quest reward or npc weapons either from blacksmith or from auction. They are cheap and sufficient for your level. Once you hit 60, you'd want the TT60 magic sword. It's cheap and easy to make. And then at lvl 70, 80 and 90 you can make a new TT weapon that goes by your level. You can also get a mold weapon at level 79 and 89. Those are cheaper, and easier to get.

As for arcane gear. My advise is to stick with npc armor, rank armor, and cheap molds from level 1 till level 90. At 90 you can get decent TT90 arcane armor.

With accessory you'd want to keep an eye on your rings. Try to get cheap (below 100k) rings from auction with a lot of magic atk. And stick with pdef belt and necklace.

Keep in mind, everyone has their own preferences and if you level fast, spending something on certain armor/weapon might not be worth it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Retsuko - Shifong
    Karmapwi.com
  • Hthor - Raging Tide
    Hthor - Raging Tide Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    It's always good to have a lot of channeling, regardless of how much mana everything costs. Mystic can be expensive on mana charm/potions so keep that in mind though.

I don't understand why mystics need more -chan. Everything already channels very fast, and we even have a skill to give us a temporary mini-rb every 35 seconds if we need it. Imo the bonus you'd get even if you had -50% chan would be insignificant (a 0.5 sec chan skill also has a 0.5 sec cast, meaning 1 sec total. With -50% chan it would be a 0.25 sec chan and 0.5 sec cast, so 0.75 sec total... and considering the money it takes to get to -50% chan, is saving 0.25 sec really worth it?)
    For weapons, from lvl 1 to 59 the best thing you can do is go by quest reward or npc weapons either from blacksmith or from auction. They are cheap and sufficient for your level. Once you hit 60, you'd want the TT60 magic sword. It's cheap and easy to make. And then at lvl 70, 80 and 90 you can make a new TT weapon that goes by your level. You can also get a mold weapon at level 79 and 89. Those are cheaper, and easier to get.

TT weapons are 100% free to make if you're patient (TT for mats, farm for subs), as are molds (FBs to get the mold, farm the mats). But yes, molds are cheaper though if you're planning to buy everything instead of farming for the mats. :)
    As for arcane gear. My advise is to stick with npc armor, rank armor, and cheap molds from level 1 till level 90. At 90 you can get decent TT90 arcane armor.

+1 to that ^
    Another option if you're tight on cash or don't want to farm mats is to keep your eyes open around west Archo and the AH for 3 stars, they can be surprisingly good until you're a higher level. Even at a high level though, OHT 3 stars can make up for TT/etc. gear somewhat if you're on a budget!
    With accessory you'd want to keep an eye on your rings. Try to get cheap (below 100k) rings from auction with a lot of magic atk. And stick with pdef belt and necklace.

Keep in mind, everyone has their own preferences and if you level fast, spending something on certain armor/weapon might not be worth it.

Agreed b:laugh

On another note, if you have a bit of money you can easily get even lower level gear to +1 or +2 with only mirage celestones for a bit of extra hp!

Gear is highly personal, my preferences for Mystics are as I've stated. Chan is awesome for classes with slower skills (like clerics), nobody's really right or wrong though. Low levels are awesome cause everything's pretty cheap, so give it all a try and see what you like. :)
  • Laranda - Heavens Tear
    Laranda - Heavens Tear Posts: 283 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    I don't understand why mystics need more -chan.

Right now, I'd say Absorb Soul would be the main reason. It's a pretty long channel. And given it's effects, I can understand a mystic wanting to perform as many as possible during a spark.
  • Shifong - Heavens Tear
    Shifong - Heavens Tear Posts: 409 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Abosrb soul isn't the only reason, but it's indeed why i would want more channeling. Reducing a 5 second cast time to 3 seconds or less is a big deal to me.

But when i talk about channeling, i talk about endgame gear. I know my mystic will have atleast 33% channeling because of some gear i really want, and will get.
    I don't say you need 50% or more (it could hurt your defenses, pdef ornaments dont have chan), but what im saying is, don't avoid channeling because of mana expenses.

Besides in PvP i'd love to be 0.2 seconds faster on a skill because it could be the difference between kill or be killed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Retsuko - Shifong
    Karmapwi.com
  • Hthor - Raging Tide
    edited March 2011
    Right now, I'd say Absorb Soul would be the main reason. It's a pretty long channel. And given it's effects, I can understand a mystic wanting to perform as many as possible during a spark.

I guess, but getting huge -chan for the sole purpose of spamming one skill is kind of a waste imo. Is it really worth paying that much money for one skill? Considering mystics have the -chan buff already (and demon Mystics probably get the standard -chan spark, too - I'm not sure) it doesn't seem worth it to me... Just my opinion though!

I'm going to do some math for the sake of awesomeness and furthering mystic knowledge (probably way beyond anybody cares, read if you dare!):

Let's assume you're spamming nothing but Absorb Soul through the entire duration of an 89 spark (13 seconds of useful time after the 2 seconds wasted casting the spark) and that your weapon has 1500 weapon damage (just for the sake of calculations), and that your average m.atk is 8000:

Case 1) 89 sparked Absorb Soul (people that forget about Rapid Growth)
    Case 2) 89 sparked Absorb Soul + Rapid Growth (non -chan geared people)
    Case 3) 89 sparked Absorb Soul + Rapid Growth + 25% chan (most -chan geared people)
    Case 4) 89 sparked Absorb Soul + Rapid Growth + 50% chan (cash shoppers & hardcore farmers, not the majority)

Attack rates and stuffs...
    1) 5 sec chan, 0.8 sec cast = 5.8 sec attack rate = 2x hits during 89 spark at normal spark damage.
    2) 4 sec chan, 0.8 sec cast = 4.8 sec attack rate = 2x hits during 89 spark at +100% weapon damage.
    3) 3 sec chan, 0.8 sec cast = 3.8 sec attack rate = 3x hits during an 89 spark at +100% weapon damage.
    4) 2 sec chan, 0.8 sec cast = 2.8 sec attack rate = 3x hits during an 89 spark at +100% weapon damage, and one extra hit at normal spark damage (RG time runs out after 3rd spell)

That means in terms of weapon damage bonuses...
    1) 14x weapon damage total over 13 seconds. (700% x2 hits = 14x)
    2) 16x weapon damage total over 13 seconds. (700%+100% x2 hits = 16x)
    3) 24x weapon damage total over 13 seconds. (700%+100% x3 hits = 24x)
    4) 31x weapon damage total over 13 seconds. (700%+100% x3 hits +700% x1 hit = 31x)

So over the course of an 89 spark, absorbed soul @ level 10 with 1500 weapon damage and 8000 m.atk would hit for a total of...(rounding 4484.5 damage from AS to 4500 to make things cleaner)
    1) (200% m.atk + 4500) x 2 + (1500 x 14) = 62,000
    2) (200% m.atk + 4500) x 2 + (1500 x 16) = 81,000
    3) (200% m.atk + 4500) x 3 + (1500 x 24) = 97,500
    4) (200% m.atk + 4500) x 4 + (1500 x 24) + (1500 x 7) = 128,500

Almost done boring you, promise! So let's say case one is our base damage (our 'control' if you want to call it that). Over the 13 sec usefulness of an 89 spark, the different cases will increase your total damage output from the base damage by...
    2) [1.46k dps total] 19k or 31%
    3) [2.58k dps total] 33.5k or 57% (16.5k or 20% up from case 2)
    4) [5.11k dps total] 66.5k or 107% (31k or 32% up from case 3; 47.5k or 59% up from case 2)

The important numbers here are the % more than the damage values since I'm using semi-random m.atk and weapon damage numbers here. The % should be roughly the same no matter what your attack powers are as long as you 89 spark and spam AS through it's duration. The huge conclusion that I'm trying to draw is highlighted above: If you get tons (total of 50%) of -chan gear, you're going to do roughly 59% more damage than if you have exactly no -chan gear. So it's up to you, do 59% more damage over 13 seconds when you 89 spark and focus your entire build on one skill, or save the insane amounts of cash it'll cost and gear for something else like mp recovery, pdef, hp, crit, etc. and use all of your skills! I do realize the -chan gear will help you out a bit with your other skills, but since most Mystic skills channel fast anyway, AS is really the only skill that it will help out to this degree with.

So yes, as has been said - it does help AS to have more -chan, and definitely other skills too... somewhat. Based on above though the more -chan you get, the less each extra point of -chan is noticeable, and getting the extra -chan becomes increasingly (drastically) more expensive. All in all the decision is up to each individual, nothing's right or wrong - I just like math and being informed. I know I'm sticking with my mp recovery gear after seeing above.

gl and hf! b:victory

p.s. in terms of PvP - don't listen to any of this, I don't care for PvP in PWI as it has a very static feeling. I know that saving 0.25 seconds in PvP can mean life-or-death, but this post isn't about PvP! :P
  • LenieClarke - Heavens Tear
    LenieClarke - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,275 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    I guess, but getting huge -chan for the sole purpose of spamming one skill is kind of a waste imo. Is it really worth paying that much money for one skill?

personally, based on the --- to say the least --- odd behavior of absorb soul, i suspect we'll see it nerfed in the intermediate future. or at least brought into line with the usual damage reductions most any other skills have to obey; the full damage air-to-ground thing itself seems like it ought to be grounds for fixing it. so, yeah, i wouldn't spend too much coin on -chan for this alone, myself.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Heaven's Tear alts: KenLubin, Sou_Hon, JudyCaraco --- level 5x chars.
  • Hthor - Raging Tide
    edited March 2011
    I'm hoping they fix (doesn't need nerfing per-se, just fixing to obey standard game 'rules', lol) it at some point. It's awesome how it is, but it is a tad unfair. Sad to say I really doubt it'll get fixed. Have they even fixed cleric's magic shell not refreshing itself or sage cleric's spirit's gift not applying mp recovery properly?
  • magena
    magena Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    I'm hoping they fix (doesn't need nerfing per-se, just fixing to obey standard game 'rules', lol) it at some point. It's awesome how it is, but it is a tad unfair. Sad to say I really doubt it'll get fixed. Have they even fixed cleric's magic shell not refreshing itself or sage cleric's spirit's gift not applying mp recovery properly?

The only thing wrong with magic shell is the time doesn't overwrite. Cast a 30 minute buff and try to overwrite it with the hour one. Your buff will run out in 30 instead of 60.

Last I know, sage MP recovery just doesn't cast on a target, same as demon's spirit gift. It's caster only. Makes sense to me why they would limit the sage buff to caster only and keep it so only demon IH and demon celestial seal give MP back to a target.
    Playing a healer since 5/29/2001.
    Proud Sanctuary player. If it has some practical healing skills, I play it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Laranda - Heavens Tear
    Laranda - Heavens Tear Posts: 283 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    personally, based on the --- to say the least --- odd behavior of absorb soul, i suspect we'll see it nerfed in the intermediate future

Depends upon if it's intentional or not. I have seen the behavior before (just not in pwi). It was 100% intentional and the whole point of those skills. It may be the same for Absorb Soul.
  • Hthor - Raging Tide
    edited March 2011
    magena wrote: »
    The only thing wrong with magic shell is the time doesn't overwrite. Cast a 30 minute buff and try to overwrite it with the hour one. Your buff will run out in 30 instead of 60.

Last I know, sage MP recovery just doesn't cast on a target, same as demon's spirit gift. It's caster only. Makes sense to me why they would limit the sage buff to caster only and keep it so only demon IH and demon celestial seal give MP back to a target.

Then I'd like it if they fixed the wording... last I checked it said something like "recovers the target's MP by 800(?) over 15 seconds"
  • suptah
    suptah Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I guess, but getting huge -chan for the sole purpose of spamming one skill is kind of a waste imo. Is it really worth paying that much money for one skill? Considering mystics have the -chan buff already (and demon Mystics probably get the standard -chan spark, too - I'm not sure) it doesn't seem worth it to me... Just my opinion though!

I'm going to do some math for the sake of awesomeness and furthering mystic knowledge (probably way beyond anybody cares, read if you dare!):

Let's assume you're spamming nothing but Absorb Soul through the entire duration of an 89 spark (13 seconds of useful time after the 2 seconds wasted casting the spark) and that your weapon has 1500 weapon damage (just for the sake of calculations), and that your average m.atk is 8000:

Case 1) 89 sparked Absorb Soul (people that forget about Rapid Growth)
    Case 2) 89 sparked Absorb Soul + Rapid Growth (non -chan geared people)
    Case 3) 89 sparked Absorb Soul + Rapid Growth + 25% chan (most -chan geared people)
    Case 4) 89 sparked Absorb Soul + Rapid Growth + 50% chan (cash shoppers & hardcore farmers, not the majority)

Attack rates and stuffs...
    1) 5 sec chan, 0.8 sec cast = 5.8 sec attack rate = 2x hits during 89 spark at normal spark damage.
    2) 4 sec chan, 0.8 sec cast = 4.8 sec attack rate = 2x hits during 89 spark at +100% weapon damage.
    3) 3 sec chan, 0.8 sec cast = 3.8 sec attack rate = 3x hits during an 89 spark at +100% weapon damage.
    4) 2 sec chan, 0.8 sec cast = 2.8 sec attack rate = 3x hits during an 89 spark at +100% weapon damage, and one extra hit at normal spark damage (RG time runs out after 3rd spell)

That means in terms of weapon damage bonuses...
    1) 14x weapon damage total over 13 seconds. (700% x2 hits = 14x)
    2) 16x weapon damage total over 13 seconds. (700%+100% x2 hits = 16x)
    3) 24x weapon damage total over 13 seconds. (700%+100% x3 hits = 24x)
    4) 31x weapon damage total over 13 seconds. (700%+100% x3 hits +700% x1 hit = 31x)

So over the course of an 89 spark, absorbed soul @ level 10 with 1500 weapon damage and 8000 m.atk would hit for a total of...(rounding 4484.5 damage from AS to 4500 to make things cleaner)
    1) (200% m.atk + 4500) x 2 + (1500 x 14) = 62,000
    2) (200% m.atk + 4500) x 2 + (1500 x 16) = 81,000
    3) (200% m.atk + 4500) x 3 + (1500 x 24) = 97,500
    4) (200% m.atk + 4500) x 4 + (1500 x 24) + (1500 x 7) = 128,500

Almost done boring you, promise! So let's say case one is our base damage (our 'control' if you want to call it that). Over the 13 sec usefulness of an 89 spark, the different cases will increase your total damage output from the base damage by...
    2) [1.46k dps total] 19k or 31%
    3) [2.58k dps total] 33.5k or 57% (16.5k or 20% up from case 2)
    4) [5.11k dps total] 66.5k or 107% (31k or 32% up from case 3; 47.5k or 59% up from case 2)

The important numbers here are the % more than the damage values since I'm using semi-random m.atk and weapon damage numbers here. The % should be roughly the same no matter what your attack powers are as long as you 89 spark and spam AS through it's duration. The huge conclusion that I'm trying to draw is highlighted above: If you get tons (total of 50%) of -chan gear, you're going to do roughly 59% more damage than if you have exactly no -chan gear. So it's up to you, do 59% more damage over 13 seconds when you 89 spark and focus your entire build on one skill, or save the insane amounts of cash it'll cost and gear for something else like mp recovery, pdef, hp, crit, etc. and use all of your skills! I do realize the -chan gear will help you out a bit with your other skills, but since most Mystic skills channel fast anyway, AS is really the only skill that it will help out to this degree with.

So yes, as has been said - it does help AS to have more -chan, and definitely other skills too... somewhat. Based on above though the more -chan you get, the less each extra point of -chan is noticeable, and getting the extra -chan becomes increasingly (drastically) more expensive. All in all the decision is up to each individual, nothing's right or wrong - I just like math and being informed. I know I'm sticking with my mp recovery gear after seeing above.

gl and hf! b:victory

p.s. in terms of PvP - don't listen to any of this, I don't care for PvP in PWI as it has a very static feeling. I know that saving 0.25 seconds in PvP can mean life-or-death, but this post isn't about PvP! :P
    Thanks for the awesome info ....heheh i wud add energy leech too before doing the whole circus :)
  • suptah
    suptah Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    b:chuckle i mean , i will use Energy leach on my storm mistress to increase my mag attack n switch from my crit attack+ gear to mag attack+ gear (b4 absorb soul)
    but i feel using crit attack+ gear(like morai) with the normal attack can help in DD 'ing while sparking with leach n rapid growth b:dirty
  • Xx_BeLLa_xX - Harshlands
    Xx_BeLLa_xX - Harshlands Posts: 7,231 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    orceN\
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

b:dirty "I **** rainbows and love everyone"-Longknife b:cute