Playing media on second monitor while playing PWI

Darcwolf - Lost City
Darcwolf - Lost City Posts: 156 Arc User
edited August 2011 in Support Desk
Does anyone else do this? I usually watch tv shows/movies on my 2nd monitor while doing stuff like farming, I used to use windows media player, but recently it stopped working properly, dont know why, probobly a video card driver update Im betting.

So anyone else use another media player that works? Ive tried VLC, kmedia, gom player, all of them produce just a blank black screen once I open the game, but I can still hear audio.
Post edited by Darcwolf - Lost City on

Comments

• mk16
    mk16 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Does sound like a video card driver issue since VLC also does it, VLC uses its own filters.
    If you're using ATI card, well, serves you right. They have the worst drivers ever, and always have.

WMP sucks, real men use pretty much anything but it.

edit: tried opening it on monitor 1 then dragging to monitor 2? I recall having to do that for some reason back when I bothered to do that, but I can't remember why.
    Banned for no reason on -two- accounts, thanks PWE
  • Darcwolf - Lost City
    Darcwolf - Lost City Posts: 156 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    mk16 wrote: »
    Does sound like a video card driver issue since VLC also does it, VLC uses its own filters.
    If you're using ATI card, well, serves you right. They have the worst drivers ever, and always have.

WMP sucks, real men use pretty much anything but it.

edit: tried opening it on monitor 1 then dragging to monitor 2? I recall having to do that for some reason back when I bothered to do that, but I can't remember why.

sigh...... another person that bashes ati drivers, you know what, I've had FAR more issues with nvidia drivers than ati.

I have a cousin that swears by vlc, but I have yet to see ANY advantage to it over media player, at least media player you can you use the media keys to play/pause while you are using pwi.

Anyway.... I have a 9500gt lying around Im gonna throw in later to see if that might clear clear it up, if not I guess I will keep searching for more players.
  • nanamango
    nanamango Posts: 135 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Be sure that you have the latest version of VLC, and try playing the game in window mode on your other monitor to see if that helps. ^.^

Sometimes a conflict can occur when you have games running in full screen mode and a media player in full screen mode as well.
  • mk16
    mk16 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    sigh...... another person that bashes ati drivers, you know what, I've had FAR more issues with nvidia drivers than ati. .

I've used 3 AMD cards and 3 or 4 NVIDIA cards, and am currently using an AMD card.
    AMD/ATI's AA is horribly broken and it seems they use a lot of cheap tricks to compete with nvidia, which may be why I have so many issues now and with every previous card.

Every single time I've purchased an AMD product I have regretted it; I can't say the same for Intel/NVIDIA. I'm done with AMD, they can shove their inferior lower-transistor-count cards where the sun doesn't shine.

PS: Ironic how one of the price charts I looked at had one of the AMD cards priced $50 higher than the 570 which performed better in benchmarks & has more transistors.

Anyways, did you try what I suggested above? If I recall right opening stuff from the 2nd monitor caused an issue like you have. I don't remember though, that was like 2 or 3 years ago.
    Banned for no reason on -two- accounts, thanks PWE
  • chinthor
    chinthor Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Just giving the whole 2-monitor setup a bump here. I would love to have more 2nd screen functionality with PWI. Personally, since they made multi-client legal, I've wanted to put one client on each. But PWI refuses to go full screen on the secondary no matter what workarounds my card manufacturer gave me. Just placing a more in-depth display setting within the in-game menu would do the trick. If anyone is still listening, I'm here making the case once more for multi-monitor support. Thank you.
  • darthpanda16
    darthpanda16 Posts: 9,471 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    It has to be something with your drivers or some other programs causing conflicts.

I have a dual screen and run the game in windowed mode no problem and can work on the other display or: listen to music, and watch Hulu or Netflix on lunch.

I use VLC media player for music and videos on a dual display and playing the game at the same time.
    Do you need help learning about patching the game, installing it, changing antivirus/firewall settings, changing network settings, learn how to use a computer, keeping your PC maintained and more?
    Visit our BRAND NEW Knowledge Base & Support Website! - Tech Support Flowchart - Panda Caught on Camera