Socket Calculator

Options
Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973
Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973 Posts: 7,881 Arc User
edited June 2013 in General Discussion
Hi all,
People tend to ask me alot which gems are best for survivability but really there are usually too many variables to give a simple answer. It can depend alot on your equipment, class, buffs, and your attacker.

This tool takes everything into account

PWI Socket Calculator

It should be pretty self explanatory how to use it... if you want to factor in self-buffs or level 11 buffs you have to enter those in manually. Evasion is ignored.

This time it should work in all browsers. Leave any feedback here. I am considering adding charts but I'm not sure if it's worth it.

-Ast

Release History:
2011/02/10 - Initial release
2011/04/11 - Added Earthguard classes, calculated optimal combination
2011/06/17 - Added support for lower level and super endgame gems
2011/06/30 - Added option to choose which stat you want to maximize
2011/09/24 - Fixed typo in title, added ponies
2011/10/03 - Updated to exact defense equations from AIethea, corrected for small builtin buffs, allows people to bookmark or share builds
-Asterelle
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Refining Simulator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/refiningsimulator.html (don't use IE)
Genie Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/geniecalculator.html - (don't use IE)
Socket Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/socketcalculator.html
Post edited by Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973 on

Comments

• KittyTaco - Lost City
    KittyTaco - Lost City Posts: 295 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options
    That is amazing.
    thank you very much! b:thanks
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Jellytoast - Sanctuary
    Jellytoast - Sanctuary Posts: 1,295 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Awesome! Thank you Ast b:laugh
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    jellytoast - Demon Cleric
    Wizzypop - Demon Wizard

"We cannot solve our problems with the same
    thinking we used when we created them." -Albert Einstein
  • TheDan - Sanctuary
    TheDan - Sanctuary Posts: 3,495 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Heh, I like the calculator, but I'm curious of the mechanics of how you set up; JoSD don't really give effective visible m/p def, so I'm assuming it's to represent % survivability?
    BM PvP Guide: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1320761

YouTube channels: youtube.com/TheDan912 and youtube.com/TheDanPWI
  • RedsRose - Lost City
    RedsRose - Lost City Posts: 12,354 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options
    b:thanks Aster b:cute
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    RoidAbuse is awesome, only he would sell his sperm for gear!!

"Toughest monster? ..... RedsRose b:surrender" - Kantorek
    Where is my 1 v 1 Kan? b:mischievous
  • Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Heh, I like the calculator, but I'm curious of the mechanics of how you set up; JoSD don't really give effective visible m/p def, so I'm assuming it's to represent % survivability?

Survivability factors in both the ability to reduce damage and the amount of damage you can absorb. JoSD performed a bit better than I expected but it does kinda poorly against R9 users.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Refining Simulator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/refiningsimulator.html (don't use IE)
  • threepointone
    threepointone Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Why'd you add DoT's to the calculator if they do nothing for survivability?
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Why'd you add DoT's to the calculator if they do nothing for survivability?

Completeness? There are alot of people with DoTs and I thought it would be nice to compare Vit stone to DoT without the person having to look at the value for "Empty" instead.

Should I add Icebournes, Gaeas, Drakeflames? I don't really see those in armor...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Olbaze - Sanctuary
    Olbaze - Sanctuary Posts: 4,242 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Completeness? There are alot of people with DoTs and I thought it would be nice to compare Vit stone to DoT without the person having to look at the value for "Empty" instead.

And I bet that there will be at least one or two people who look at that, punch in the numbers and notice that DoTs are equal to "Empty" and take that knowledge without thinking more of it. And that's really not something you want to do.

Well, DoTs are only really a factor to survivability when you talk either about killing bosses faster or healing more from Bloodpaint. But something tells me that factoring in Bloodpaint to this little calculation wouldn't be plausible, since it'd require information such as DPH, APS and the enemy they are facing in great detail.

So I think you should either remove it or make a note of the DoTs on the page. For completeness.
    I am Olba. Not Ol, not Baze nor Blaze. And even less would I go by Olblaze. Please, take a second to read a person's username.
    If you see b:cute be sure to take a second, calm look at anything I said.
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Ehh yah I guess its not fair to compare DoTs to normal shards. Done.

You can actually use this tool as a survivability calculator to compare completely different gear / characters if you put 0 shards (though thats not really the objective).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Okeano - Harshlands
    Okeano - Harshlands Posts: 4,943 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options
    So this implies that the equation/s for def level are definite? I was under the assumption that it's/they're still not confirmed.

Also, does it take into account the extra def gain from the VIT's from VIT stones? 1 VIT might not add much def, but 240 probably does.
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Defense level has been confirmed.

I recently found the formula for pdef/mres from ecatomb's code.

pdef = str/4 + vit/4 + equip.pdef*((str+0.7*vit)/(750+level) + 1)
    mres = (mag-1)/4 + (vit-1)/4 + equip.mres*((mag+0.7*vit)/(750+level) + 1)

I'm not sure where he got it from but I confirmed this was accurate for my own gear. The calculator uses your unbuffed stats to calculate the equipment defense in an intermediate step.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Toliman - Raging Tide
    Toliman - Raging Tide Posts: 1,595 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options
    .... I was under the assumption that it's/they're still not confirmed...

I have number 3000. This is bad or good ?

What it calculate ?

Why not use http://pwcalc.ru/pwi/ to see characteristcs of the char and damage reduction with any possible buff ?
  • Okeano - Harshlands
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Defense level has been confirmed.

I recently found the formula for pdef/mres from ecatomb's code.

pdef = str/4 + vit/4 + equip.pdef*((str+0.7*vit)/(750+level) + 1)
    mres = (mag-1)/4 + (vit-1)/4 + equip.mres*((mag+0.7*vit)/(750+level) + 1)

I'm not sure where he got it from but I confirmed this was accurate for my own gear. The calculator uses your unbuffed stats to calculate the equipment defense in an intermediate step.

Hmm the formula is off by less than 50 points for me. Not exact but close enough I guess.
    I have number 3000. This is bad or good ?

What it calculate ?

Why not use http://pwcalc.ru/pwi/ to see characteristcs of the char and damage reduction with any possible buff ?

You have 3000 def level? Props to you then hacker.

Because PW calc doesn't take into account of def level. Last time I check, it still calculate APS from demon spark wrong. Also the % reduction on the character sheet shows data for opponent of same level assuming 0 attack level.
    edited February 2011
    Options
    This tool is specifically to answer the question "What shard should I put in my armor?".

At high levels people have a hard time comparing the effects of Vit Stones, Citrine Gem and Def+2. Noone really knows which has the most benefit.

This tool isn't really designed for lower level use at the moment... really though sharding doesn't get significant until g11 or g12 gears though.
    Hmm the formula is off by less than 50 points for me. Not exact but close enough I guess.

Hmm Ill recheck it.. when I did my own gear it was off by like 5 which I wrote off as due to small intermediate rounding errors.

Are you sure you are getting your equipment defense exact? You can find it by seeing how much defense is removed by frenzy. I'm not sure if adding equipment pdef values manually is 100% correct.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2011
    Options
    *double post*
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Toliman - Raging Tide
    edited February 2011
    Options
    You have 3000 def level? Props to you then hacker.
    Really, 1920 points phys. def. buffed(with Stone Barrier 9th level) yet (I equip some items from 40 level, although have better for 60 level) with current hp 2045.

But I typed random number from bottom table (3000) for my level 54 Wizard to understand, what it mean.

May be those numbers necessary for high-levels only.
  • Okeano - Harshlands
    edited February 2011
    Options
    It's less than half of a %. Good enough for most engineering, good enough for game mechanics.
    Really, 1920 buffed(with Stone Barrier 9th level) yet (I equip some items from 40 level, although have better for 60 level) with current hp 2045.

But I typed random number from bottom table (3000) for my level 54 Wizard to understand, what it mean.

May be those numbers necessary for high-levels only.

Def level =/= your resistance value.
  • Toliman - Raging Tide
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Def level =/= your resistance value.
    Agreed. I not said, that 3000 was Def.level or anything else.
  • Okeano - Harshlands
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Agreed. I not said, that 3000 was Def.level or anything else.

You quoted me asking if def level formula was confirmed or not and said you have 3000. I can only assume you misunderstood def level as resistance value.
  • Toliman - Raging Tide
    edited February 2011
    Options
    You quoted me asking if def level formula was confirmed or not and said you have 3000. I can only assume you misunderstood def level as resistance value.
    You were wrong. I even had not thought, that you can "assume" it. I wrote real numbers for my character.
    Once my (not this) character had 15% def. level - maximum.

Edit:
    I don't want to spam in this thread.
    If you think, that you are right - it is good.
    Every man to his trade.
  • Okeano - Harshlands
    edited February 2011
    Options
    You were wrong. I even had not thought, that you can "assume" it. I wrote real numbers for my character.
    Once my (not this) character had 15% def. level - maximum.

Then you writing about your resistance value, asking if it's good, while quoting my comment about def level made no sense. b:bye
    edited February 2011
    Options
    I just realized this caculation will be a bit inaccurate with TT-nirv gear due to the built-in buff b:surrender

It's not really enough to significantly change the correct answers though...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Sazzora - Harshlands
    Sazzora - Harshlands Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Nice work.

One thing you could add too is the Reduce Physical damage taken +% stat that some equips have.

Also what actually does the survivability number mean?
    Is it the raw damage that the opponent have to deal to take out all your hp?

Edit: Also would be nice to be able to use different grades of hp/pdef/mdef stones too and maybe to use a mix of different stones
  • xcliqz
    xcliqz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options
    best ever.

shorty short, JoSD is best used when u have tons of hp likr 15k+ hp
    other than that its best to use vit stone
  • Deceptistar - Sanctuary
    Deceptistar - Sanctuary Posts: 10,454 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Im assuming 'Unbuffed Stats (with gear)' is actually 'Unsharded + Unbuffed stats (with gear)'? I almost put in my sharded stats

edit: according to the calc... clerics should go all ..........VIT stones...(im confused)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]lagunal8.deviantart.com
    ★"New weekly quests! "Discover the bug in the patch""-Nihillae★"My father would beat me if he found out I was QQing over a virtual pony."-Neurosis★"You're amongst the biggest blobs of fail I've ever seen in my life."-Ninnuam★"A statistic said 3% people of the world get enjoyment primarily from making people upset, and you are trying to discriminate them"-ilystah★["How To Tank Rebirth Order Delta (86+)"-Stickygreen Barb (1)restat. you want full magic, Arcane armour build (2)when mobs come /faceroll on your keyboard and you will one shot all the mobs (3)rinse and repeat]★"I've been spammed with 3 poops for 2 hours."-ColdSteele★"If someone fights learning, I don't bother with them outside of amusement factor."-Telarith★"This thread is a joke right? Please say yes."-eatwithspoons★ "This is why you don't post your opinions on the internet, most of the replies you get will be from people who missed a hug or two sometime in their youth."-Alacol★"Sexy! A post with a Binomial Distribution."-Asterelle★"It's about time PW starts to separate out the noob Sins from the rest."-salvati0n★"Shoo troll >:O"-TheDan
  • xcliqz
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Im assuming 'Unbuffed Stats (with gear)' is actually 'Unsharded + Unbuffed stats (with gear)'? I almost put in my sharded stats

edit: according to the calc... clerics should go all ..........VIT stones...(im confused)

yes because vit stones not ony adds hp, it also adds p.def and m.def
  • Okeano - Harshlands
    edited February 2011
    Options
    You should add the 2 formulas in the Damage section of the wiki b:victory.
  • xcliqz
    edited February 2011
    Options
    request sticky
    edited February 2011
    Options

Well if you are considering sharding you need gear with some free sockets in them...
    This tool tells you what is best to put in those sockets.

VIT stones can be underestimated by casters since they give "only" 100HP (versus 115 for citrine) but they also give a little more than 0.4% equipment defense which helps out.
    You should add the 2 formulas in the Damage section of the wiki b:victory.

You do realize its a wiki right? The edit button isn't hard to find.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Okeano - Harshlands
    edited February 2011
    Options
    You do realize its a wiki right? The edit button isn't hard to find.

Since you found the formulas, it'll feel rude if I took them and posted on the wiki. b:shocked