another QQ duelling rule?

Options
Empu - Sanctuary
Empu - Sanctuary Posts: 1,154 Arc User
edited January 2011 in General Discussion
So I was in nirvana and cleric dc'ed, waiting for the new one to come. And duelled some to pass time. On one duel, barb sparked and archer said something like "cheater" and I was like "O.o since when is duels no sparking allowed?" I seemed to be the only one not to know sparking was forbidden in duels lol

Is this some new rule that is generally accepted, or was I just in squad with some weirdos?

The pvp-server ppl must be choking on the ground laughing from reading this. Honestly, I don't duel much cause they invent more and more stupid rules like the no healing, no genies, no kiting b:shutup But no sparking, that really surprised me.
Post edited by Empu - Sanctuary on

Comments

• Aeroboi - Heavens Tear
    Aeroboi - Heavens Tear Posts: 63 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    weirdos, this be first i herd of such lameness, way i see it, theres no point in wasting Resources on a duel. but no sparking is joke, all player skills for the go i say
  • sellsellsell
    sellsellsell Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    -removed-
  • Aracnius - Dreamweaver
    Aracnius - Dreamweaver Posts: 131 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    i get ppl telling me the same thing when i spark in duels o.o, if they can make that a dueling rule then i vote we dont allow sins to stealth, anyone use 3+ APS, and venos to use nixes b:shocked
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] b:surrender
    -Waiting for the day they replace these stupid bear smilies with monkey ones
  • ThanosQRt - Dreamweaver
    ThanosQRt - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,457 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    -removed-

zzz can someone ban this bot? b:avoid
  • Knownase - Heavens Tear
    Knownase - Heavens Tear Posts: 6,959 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Large majority of ppl spark in duels lol.

Its why I don't really duel much anyways, most are just a nuke fest that 1-2 shot ppl.

I rather PK than duel.

PK, its basically your rules and game.....

Duel.....its like there is an unwritten set of rules that most ppl tend to follow....lol.....

Allow me to name a few:

-No HP pot usage.
    -No Sparking
    -No Self-healing lol....
    -No Genie skills
    -No running....

Anyone other "rule" I left out?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    b:flowerHave a Techno Rave Flower!b:flower

-Self-Proclaimed TW commentator of HT-
    -Certified Barbarian Master-
    -You gained +10 coolness points for viewing this signature-
    -Master of Coffee-
  • grimreaperhc
    grimreaperhc Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Duel.....its like there is an unwritten set of rules that most ppl tend to follow....lol.....
    -No running....

This one does not apply for archers :<
  • Arenaceous - Lost City
    Arenaceous - Lost City Posts: 632 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Oh I love those rules... When I use blink "You only won because you ran from me! Coward!" People also don't like it when I fly in a duel ("Why?" "Because I don't like it.". And they always insist on getting chi and waiting for cooldowns when we do several duels in a row... Gotta say it was far worse on Dreamweaver than on LC...
    "Of course you should fight fire with fire. You should fight everything with fire."

"Some have said there is no subtlety to destruction. You know what? They're dead."

- Jaya Ballard, Task Mage
  • grimreaperhc
    grimreaperhc Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Oh, yesterday I had a duel with a 90+ BM ( I`m a 78 archer ) and I was doing the usual kiting when I saw that he used phys marrow ( great mistake buddy :< ) I shot thunder shock and lightning strike and killed him. After that he was like "WTF?!?! You are running noob, you can't fight, you can't do anything, don't run and duel me" and I just said that I`m an archer :< Though I`m not using pots or genie skills in duels :<

EDIT : 1 K posts o.o
  • Miugre - Heavens Tear
    Miugre - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    On the extremely rare occasion that I duel anyone at all, I love hearing them cry foul when I use Elven Aclarity to put myself at max range before stunning/freezing them. :P They always assume I used Holy Path...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Yes, I'm still a stubborn holdout in favor of the old game. Haters gonna hate. ;]

Other Active Characters:
    LigerKing (Barb), Girasole (BM), Shamsheer (Sin), ArborSoul (Mystic).
  • Kupuntu - Sanctuary
    Kupuntu - Sanctuary Posts: 3,008 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    I have to admit I have never seen this kind of stupidity before. The no flying/running "rule" for physical classes sucks, a sin just triple sparks and uses stun immunity and "you can't run because it's not how duels are done". b:chuckle
    100% F2P player. Started PW: March 2007, Quit PW: March 2011.
    pwcalc.com/e7016929e7b204ae "Pure axe" 8k HP multipath BM, last one of my kind.
  • ZeroDefects - Dreamweaver
    ZeroDefects - Dreamweaver Posts: 391 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    if you are not going to use every resource you have to survive and win, what is the point of dueling?

I always saw duelling as pvp without the death/drop chance, you should do everything to win that you would do in full one on one pvp.

if people want to QQ about rules let em, you ask to duel you better be expecting a fight, not just a chance to show of your latest macro
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973
    Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973 Posts: 7,881 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    The "rules" I usually see are:

1) No pots (perhaps MP is ok)
    2) No apothecary
    3) No genie skills

If someone sparks on you you can always stun them or spark back.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Refining Simulator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/refiningsimulator.html (don't use IE)
    Genie Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/geniecalculator.html - (don't use IE)
    Socket Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/socketcalculator.html
  • Maragon - Dreamweaver
    Maragon - Dreamweaver Posts: 645 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options

2) No apothecary
    3) No genie skills

this is what I always go with unless otherwise agreed.

I dueled a bm on my bm back when he was mid 50s while we were waiting for ppl to get to a bh run. He yelled at me for using sutra in the middle of the duel.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • HealingBliss - Lost City
    HealingBliss - Lost City Posts: 136 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    I don't like duels.
    Things i've been QQ'd at for using in duels.
    -Distance shrink (Because thats running)
    -Iron heart (Because thats cheating)
    -Undine ( I dont know =/ )
    -Sutra
    -Plumeshell
    -Force of will
    -Soporific Whisper
    -Kiting (No i'm not going to stand right beside you if you're a melee class x.x')
    So remember in duels its stand still beside each other and just like um...hit each other really fast!
    Shhh don't troll, it's yulk bait.
  • ThanosQRt - Dreamweaver
    ThanosQRt - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,457 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    basically in most duels melee QQ about tricky stuff or when something goes "wrong" and they cant stand next to you when the duels begins, stun u and pew pew

anything that causes this is cheating and since the majority is melee they become "rules"
  • Kiitaro - Sanctuary
    Kiitaro - Sanctuary Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Rule: If I don't win, you're cheating.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Slivaf - Dreamweaver
    Slivaf - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,106 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Rofl only rule I accept unless otherwise stated is no hp pot usage, I have used genies before, and I probably still will in the future. (Though to be fair I haven't dueled in ages, the one time I did, no one cried foul of any of my skill usage)

Most of these rules are quite absurd in my opinion. For example, the no apothecaries one's, if you can't adapt to your opponent one on one, with the skills he or she uses, then how in the hell do you expect to even last 10 seconds in an actual mass pvp scenario such as TW? (Not to mention how much it shows how ill-prepared you are for the fight)

Learn to adapt to your foes one on one, and you never know how that experience will help you in your future pvp fights, mass or otherwise. =x Learn what the apo skills do, each genie skill, etc, and who knows what might happen?
    Ah, Mistakes are so easily made. ~ laura resnick

What kind of message are you sending when you insult my intelligence? ~ Me ~ 5/29/2015 (Yes it is possible someone said this before just no idea who/where.)
  • Sarrafeline - Sanctuary
    Sarrafeline - Sanctuary Posts: 4,661 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    I like to duel for lols. Use genie, use pots, use food, go all out. Or train me for TW, and go all out anyway.

Or fisticuffs for Chi. :p
    101 Sage Sin*/Archer
    100 Demon BM*/Barb
    96 Demon Cleric/Sage Seeker
    95 Demon Wiz/
    94 Sage Veno
    85 Psy/80 Mystic
    And a handful of other alts, all 79 and under.
    *Pre RB level
  • Patriialt - Dreamweaver
    Patriialt - Dreamweaver Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    i'd say the reason duels have rules and pk doesn't, is cuz duels are usually the pve carebear alternative to pk. with that being said, anyone afraid to pk is gonna try use a set of "rules" to remove the micro, timing, and finesse required to win in pk vs. a quality player.

duels are technically a "safe" alternative to pk, not an "easy" alternative..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Sarrafeline - Sanctuary
    Sarrafeline - Sanctuary Posts: 4,661 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    i'd say the reason duels have rules and pk doesn't, is cuz duels are usually the pve carebear alternative to pk. with that being said, anyone afraid to pk is gonna try use a set of "rules" to remove the micro, timing, and finesse required to win in pk vs. a quality player.

Neh, that's TW. You don't have to spend bajillions on binding your gear, going rank 9, +12ing everything, and putting +def or +chan or whatever shards in everything.

Well, you DO (minus the binding) to win, but, not to have a good time. :p
    101 Sage Sin*/Archer
    100 Demon BM*/Barb
    96 Demon Cleric/Sage Seeker
    95 Demon Wiz/
    94 Sage Veno
    85 Psy/80 Mystic
    And a handful of other alts, all 79 and under.
    *Pre RB level
  • krittycat
    krittycat Posts: 4,187 Community Moderator
    edited January 2011
    Options
    I remember one duel I had with a BM just a couple of levels lower than me. He had been talking "trash" at random people in Lost, so I got tired of it and challenged him. I won the first duel because of Mighty Swing stuns and the Giant Ape Axe's chance of stunning, but he absolutely insisted that I used a genie seal skill because he "saw the circle under himself". (Granted, a completely neutral party PMed me and told me it was a load of bull.) I agreed to a second duel, and he barely won...only problem I had was that he used a crab meat. (How could I tell, you ask? Sutra, which is what he claimed to be using, takes at least a couple seconds of normal attack time...he never stopped attacking once.) all in all, I left after that duel, content in the fact that I beat him, fair and square.b:pleased
  • Maragon - Dreamweaver
    Maragon - Dreamweaver Posts: 645 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options

while this is probably true I use the no genie no apoth no pots rules mostly just to make it a bit more fair not necessarily for me but for both of us. in all out pvp you would come prepared with lots of those things but no carebears dont usually carry alot of that around.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Patriialt - Dreamweaver
    Patriialt - Dreamweaver Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    KrittyCat wrote: »
    Sutra, which is what he claimed to be using, takes at least a couple seconds of normal attack time...he never stopped attacking once.)

Sutra is instant, if he used Sutra he'd have an IH looking buff during the heal of sutra. But he wouldn't have needed a couple seconds to cast it...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Boogiepanda - Raging Tide
    Boogiepanda - Raging Tide Posts: 4,682 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    I use blades in duels b:cute
  • Verbicide - Dreamweaver
    Verbicide - Dreamweaver Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Even though I am playing a pve server, I usually dual with a couple friends to get the hang of pvp. While practicing pvp we play as if its pvp meaning no rules. When I do dual the only reason why I do stealth is to get my spark back from buffing. Even if I unstealth right after some people still QQ about it.

As for sparking, I've never heard that before but I have been b*tched out before for stunning and putting a bleed. So apparently everyone has their own set of rules for duels and I am not obligated to attend to everyone's wants.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Kindrid; \\x//; 9x Seeker
  • Thelas_Carr - Sanctuary
    Thelas_Carr - Sanctuary Posts: 448 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    if you are not going to use every resource you have to survive and win, what is the point of dueling?

I always saw duelling as pvp without the death/drop chance, you should do everything to win that you would do in full one on one pvp.

if people want to QQ about rules let em, you ask to duel you better be expecting a fight, not just a chance to show of your latest macro
    This...

Any rules imposed in a duel is usual because someone thinks the rule is to their advantage and they won't lose. Personally I think you should use pots, event food, genies, or whatever you have at your disposal because anything less is some gimped set of "rules" to give some other guy an advantage.

"I don't want to waste my pots/apothecary" -- I understnd crab-meat isn't cheap, but do you want to win or lose? Fine, then expect to lose the same as you would in PK.

"I don't want to waste my genie's chi" -- Ridiculously cheap perfect stones at every Watcher of the Earth and this is your excuse to gimp someone else's capability to win? Fine, then expect to lose the same as you would in PK.

There's only two rules for a duel, both enforced by the game:

1) The loser doesn't drop any items
    2) The loser's charm will tick at the end of the duel, if he/she has one equipped
  • DeLetar - Sanctuary
    DeLetar - Sanctuary Posts: 57 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options

2) No apothecary
    3) No genie skills

On the rare occasions that I do duel, I follow the above. Anything else is just players crying. No running just means they want you to stand still and 'easy kill' you. I don't know a cleric that doesn't self heal in a duel- it's one of our skills- BMs, no stun lock, Barb, no blood bath, arma; etc., etc. if you want a no healing rule.

Personally, if someone wants to use a genie, or HP pots, or other items like defence charms in a duel, that's fine and dandy too. It's their resources they are using up for a fight that doesn't add to your PvP kills or awards you with nothing other than (possible) bragging rights.
    I level the old- fashioned way.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I like having the money for skills.
  • Krisnda - Lost City
    Krisnda - Lost City Posts: 1,465 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    I don't like duels.
    Things i've been QQ'd at for using in duels.
    -Distance shrink (Because thats running)
    -Iron heart (Because thats cheating)
    -Undine ( I dont know =/ )
    -Sutra
    -Plumeshell
    -Force of will
    -Soporific Whisper
    -Kiting (No i'm not going to stand right beside you if you're a melee class x.x')
    So remember in duels its stand still beside each other and just like um...hit each other really fast!
    You forgot Feral Concentration. People think i popped a immune pot and say i cheated, also Bramble Hood dueling melee people XD.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    A good moderator should:
    - Have the computer skills necessary to handle forum-related tasks (Web skills, basic programming)
    - Be patient to handle all sorts of requests
    - Be level-headed to keep discussions and some petty squabbles in check.b:cool
  • Empu - Sanctuary
    Empu - Sanctuary Posts: 1,154 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Thx for all the replies b:thanks good to know I'm not the onlyone annoyed by the number of unspoken "rules" a good dueller should follow.

I'll just keep it at the "denie" button and only duel with friends b:surrender
    Any rules imposed in a duel is usual because someone thinks the rule is to their advantage and they won't lose. Personally I think you should use pots, event food, genies, or whatever you have at your disposal because anything less is some gimped set of "rules" to give some other guy an advantage.

"I don't want to waste my pots/apothecary" -- I understnd crab-meat isn't cheap, but do you want to win or lose? Fine, then expect to lose the same as you would in PK.

"I don't want to waste my genie's chi" -- Ridiculously cheap perfect stones at every Watcher of the Earth and this is your excuse to gimp someone else's capability to win? Fine, then expect to lose the same as you would in PK.

There's only two rules for a duel, both enforced by the game:

1) The loser doesn't drop any items
    2) The loser's charm will tick at the end of the duel, if he/she has one equipped

This is what I think. Usually I won't use apo/pots cause I think it's a waste. Killing someone who does use them is a challenge b:pleased Same could be said for genie stamina, but duelling is also a nice way to test some new combo. (if it hurts a barb, it will hurt a boss b:chuckle ) To many are bad looser or bad winner. Either QQ about all kind of excuses, or just can't stop telling how much they own. Duelling is supposed to be entertaining, win some, loose some, who cares :P
  • LShattered - Heavens Tear
    LShattered - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,365 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    So I was in nirvana and cleric dc'ed, waiting for the new one to come. And duelled some to pass time. On one duel, barb sparked and archer said something like "cheater" and I was like "O.o since when is duels no sparking allowed?" I seemed to be the only one not to know sparking was forbidden in duels lol

Is this some new rule that is generally accepted, or was I just in squad with some weirdos?

The pvp-server ppl must be choking on the ground laughing from reading this. Honestly, I don't duel much cause they invent more and more stupid rules like the no healing, no genies, no kiting b:shutup But no sparking, that really surprised me.

There are some very weird ideas out there for duels. I have heard

1) No healing(clerics)
    2) No stuns(bm)
    3)No 80% less damage skill(barbs)
    4) No running(archers/wizards)
    and a buttload more

Mostly it is the fail people or BRs who tell you this.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ☆Heavy Armor Venomancer since level 1☆
    Previously known as _Surreal_b:avoid

Sig by me.

[=>theempire.ucoz.com<=]