A Lot Of Questions :/

kswizzled
kswizzled Posts: 0 Arc User
edited January 2011 in Archer
So. Hiiiiiiiii everyone. I'm a lvl 52 archer on Dreamweaver, and so far I love it. I kill things before they reach me like a badass. I haven't used too many pots - and when I do, I normally use more mp pots in comparison to hp pots.

My gear sucks at the moment, but I'm working on getting them good. I just traded my Sinister Shooter for the GSL Longbow, got my Jones Blessing, and everythings good.

Then I started reading the forum and now I'm scared.

Archer-ism is amazing, and I love it, but I'm looking to going all the way to endgame (something ive NEVER done for any game) and I've seen soooo many posts talking about APS and stuff and idk what that even IS.

I'm slowly gliding through the game, making friends, having so much fun. But now I'm scared I built my archer wrong, or picked the wrong class. I don't think I'm willing to make another character since I just don't have the patience to do that, and working on one character is hard enough.

Which leads to my questions:

1) Are archers REALLY not wanted in squads as much as everyone else? I love the squad system in pwi because that's when I make all/most of my friends, and these people are the reason I keep playing.

2) Someone said in a forum post that most archers restat at 80+ to be able to use deicide. Should I start working towards becoming a fist archer as well? Or will I still stand a chance at being epic endgame if i stick to ranged weapons (which I think archers in general should be limited to anyway :/)

3) I messed up my build on earlier levels, right now its (at lv 52) (& with a lotta + thingys on my equip) Vit 14 Str 51 Mag 8 Dex 212. My phys attack is 1770-2674. Is this around where you guys were at at my level?

I am SO sorry for bombarding you a question. I've just played games before where I made tons of friends and loved it, but with a really ****ty character that by the end I just gave up. Id hate for that to happen here, cuz this game really has one of the best communitys :) b:laugh

merci beaucoup in advance to anyone who takes the time to read this godly long post

I'm Kswizzled on Dreamweaver. Hit me up ingame if you're in DW :) we archers should sex up PWI together ;)
Post edited by kswizzled on

Comments

• Falcondance - Heavens Tear
    Falcondance - Heavens Tear Posts: 699 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    kswizzled wrote: »
    So. Hiiiiiiiii everyone. I'm a lvl 52 archer on Dreamweaver, and so far I love it. I kill things before they reach me like a badass. I haven't used too many pots - and when I do, I normally use more mp pots in comparison to hp pots.

My gear sucks at the moment, but I'm working on getting them good. I just traded my Sinister Shooter for the GSL Longbow, got my Jones Blessing, and everythings good.

Archer-ism is amazing, and I love it, but I'm looking to going all the way to endgame (something ive NEVER done for any game) and I've seen soooo many posts talking about APS and stuff and idk what that even IS.

Attacks per second. In a nutshell, wear a lot of -interval gear and -interval fists, hit enemies five times per second and generate so much chi that you can Demon Spark permanently... thus, dealing +/- 500% damage five times per second. It's the current fad.

I'm slowly gliding through the game, making friends, having so much fun. But now I'm scared I built my archer wrong, or picked the wrong class. I don't think I'm willing to make another character since I just don't have the patience to do that, and working on one character is hard enough.

Which leads to my questions:

1) Are archers REALLY not wanted in squads as much as everyone else? I love the squad system in pwi because that's when I make all/most of my friends, and these people are the reason I keep playing.

At 90 I have no problem getting into squads. Nirvana and the 5APS craze may change that, but up until now I've had no issues.

2) Someone said in a forum post that most archers restat at 80+ to be able to use deicide. Should I start working towards becoming a fist archer as well? Or will I still stand a chance at being epic endgame if i stick to ranged weapons (which I think archers in general should be limited to anyway :/)

To be honest, there is a lot of buzz about a possible upcoming Attacks Per Second nerf in the Genesis expansion - I would stick to ranged weapons right now, and by the time you hit 80+, Genesis will be out and you'll know for sure what to do. I'm personally not going to restat for fists. I'll just wear +Strength gear if the situation demands. But I would much rather use my bow.

3) I messed up my build on earlier levels, right now its (at lv 52) (& with a lotta + thingys on my equip) Vit 14 Str 51 Mag 8 Dex 212. My phys attack is 1770-2674. Is this around where you guys were at at my level?

No, my phys attack was lower - I had 50 Vit. Still do. Don't regret it. On the other hand, your str should be (Your level +4), so when you hit 53 add 5 points to Str, and when you hit 54 add 2 to Str and 3 to Dex, then resume 4/1, and you'll be mostly fixed. Might want to buy one of those 25-points-from-every-stat reset notes to get rid of the Vit and Mag though. Did you know that Vit and Mag restat down to 3, even though when you make a character it has 5? Yeah. So that's an extra 4 Dex as an added bonus to un-gimping your archer. (This is a minor gimp, but still.)

I am SO sorry for bombarding you a question. I've just played games before where I made tons of friends and loved it, but with a really ****ty character that by the end I just gave up. Id hate for that to happen here, cuz this game really has one of the best communitys :) b:laugh

merci beaucoup in advance to anyone who takes the time to read this godly long post

I'm Kswizzled on Dreamweaver. Hit me up ingame if you're in DW :) we archers should sex up PWI together ;)

/5char
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I always thought I'd be the only one doing crazy things for people who would never care enough to do it back or to act like idiots or be entirely vulnerable, and making someone fall in love with you is easy, and flying 3000 miles on four days notice because you can't just sit there and do nothing and breathe into telephones is not everyone's idea of love, but it is the way I can recognize it because that is what I do."
    Sig pic by Nowitsawn
  • kswizzled
    kswizzled Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    So I should restat my vit/mag? And fix my str as well?
  • Miugre - Heavens Tear
    Miugre - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Well, that's your first mistake. XD

You have to realize that the forum is populated by a good number of people who are going to give you primarily "endgame-based" advice. APS is an "endgame" thing, but more on that in a bit. Falcondance's basic definition is right, though.
    Archers are DDs, and any squad without DDs is going to take a long time. That being said, you're "less wanted" in squads only because you're competing with many, many other DDs for those same spots (assassins, perhaps, being the most common of your competitors). So it's not being less wanted, so much as competing for space.
    It's your choice, but my advice? Noooo. No no no noo.

Deicide is a -int fist weapon, which goes a long way to acheiving the much-hyped "5.0 APS" fad which Falcon mentioned. Your DPS with it (and all the other gear necessary for 5.0) will be massive, but consider:
    1. The money required to get the gear you would need for 5.0 is nothing to scoff at - Deicides alone generally cost over 75 million coins.
    2. To acheive 5.0 (or anywhere near it) it is absolutely necessary for you to use a fist weapon (which Deicide is). Yes, this essentially means you will be able to deal more damage with a weapon that isn't designed for archers and cannot use any of your skills. Do you really want to play this way? I'm sure you wouldn't have made an archer if you didn't want to fight at range.

Please understand that wanting to be "epic endgame" can be a terrible time (and money) trap. Many game mechanics, particularly PVP, have been irrepairably broken for quite a while now, I'm afraid. I would strongly advise you to just wash your hands of it all, get whichever bow you like most for endgame, and just enjoy what you've made your character out to be. :)
    You're doing fine, don't worry. Actually, you may need to add a bit more Str - take a look at armor coming up, for instance. A good rule of thumb is to make sure your Str is at least your own level, plus 4.

Your Vit is fine, you could even add more of it if you wanted. The general school of thought is:
    "Pure dex" - 4dex/1str per level
    "Hybrid" - 3dex/1str/1vit per level

I'm a weird kind of build - I have 50 base Vit at lv96 and 125 base Str. The Str is for using a fist weapon (Gorenox, in my case), which can be useful for certain situations (if you ever do a Marriage Quest, for instance, you will find that those mobs can be problematic at range)... I'm not a "fist build" person though and never will be. :P

Generally your Mag should stay low - most people would suggest just leaving it at 5 - but having 8 Mag should not impact you significantly. I have 15 Mag... just never got around to restatting it. :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Yes, I'm still a stubborn holdout in favor of the old game. Haters gonna hate. ;]

Other Active Characters:
    LigerKing (Barb), Girasole (BM), Shamsheer (Sin), ArborSoul (Mystic).