"sry im laggin"

Options
CeliaZ - Sanctuary
CeliaZ - Sanctuary Posts: 901 Arc User
edited January 2011 in General Discussion
Just a question from someone who almost never laggs (do I use that verb correctly here?).

When this happens:

Player A (mostly a barb/cleric/someone with responsibility) makes a mistake/makes multiple mistakes/just plays badly.

Player B notices that.

Player A notices that Player B notices that Player A makes a mistake/makes multiple mistakes/just plays badly. (Following me here?)

Player A says something in the line of "sry im lagging".

Now my question to all the Player A's:

Are you really lagging? If so, how bad are you lagging? What happens when you lag like this? Or is it so that you just dont wanna say you did make a mistake/dont know how to play your class?

Oh and to all the Player B's, do you recognize this situation?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by CeliaZ - Sanctuary on

Comments

• Allisandre - Sanctuary
    Allisandre - Sanctuary Posts: 1,452 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    I believe that about 90% of the time that's because Player A was distracted and is just using lag as an excuse.

In the other cases, when you lag really bad, it can have different effects.
    Either nothing happens but you appear to be moving around. Basically you're not seeing what's happening when it happens because the packets are getting lost on the way to you.
    (True lag)

Or, your frames jump like crazy and your FPS drops form the usual 25-50 down to 4 because your computer is busy doing something it feels is more important than PWI. (Defrags, anifir scans, and programs like Outlook and Norton softwares are notorious for this.)
    (What a lot of people call lag but is truly something with their computer.)

Not much you can do about the first, (unless it's caused by a firewall or a cheap/wireless connection.) plenty that you can do about the second, just most people aren't computer savvy enough to figure it out.

Actually thinking about it, I think more people think they can play the game on a wireless connection when truly, it is not advisable at all. No MMO should be played on wireless, the broadcast can't manage the data the way the game wants it.
    Take the time to look for your answer before you post like an idiot.

There are two kinds of people in this world...
    There are those who panic,
    And then there is us.
    ~ Sarah Jane Smith
  • Obly - Dreamweaver
    Obly - Dreamweaver Posts: 209 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    I think every1 has been in the position of player B.

Player A however, there are those that indeed do lag (eg: Lag Spikes) game suddenly freezes for a sec or something, i've had that happend, and when unfrozen i was nearly dead, or whatever.

Player A does not lag, but they are afraid of people calling them names and just says its lag.

Basically, its the 2nd version of player A that is very credable due to some people just causing problems, but it should not be a problem saying, sorry that was my bad.

(usually my sentence when i forget 2 pay attention a sec or something, and get some1 killed.)

If its any class other then a Cleric, i don;t care, but when the cleric dies i feel bad, they don;t get a res, so they lose alot of EXP, you just a small bit, and later on NONE due to lvl 11 resses.

So yeah, some do really lag, or get a lagspike. Others are just 2 ashamed 2 admit that they have made a mistake.

At least, that's what i think
    b:victory Once you discover life is meaningless, you will see my point of view!! b:victory

Skills determine a good player, not a creditcard.b:flower
  • Myrrmidonna - Dreamweaver
    Myrrmidonna - Dreamweaver Posts: 204 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Hello

I play from Poland, Europe, and I need to have player visibility turned off even on overworld map while simply questing, or the game tends to freeze whenever someone in my visibility range apears or uses a skill or something. True, my computer is rather poor for a gamer's machine (Eee PC 1001HA with 2GB RAM - google for other paramethres if you're interested) and my net connection has a habit to dc for a sec. from time to time for no reason, or slow down. it doesn't have particullary high speed anyway.

In instances, where the area is smaller and there are less players to display, it's not that bad, though. I'm just a veno, though, noone's going to die unless I fail -really- epically. Sometimes the lag is really annoing, like when running around and getting my display frozen just to see, when it unfreezes, that I've ran further than I should have to for my own good. Or seeing other people of the party not stopping before mobs but running straight at/through them, thinking - ok, so we're doing it this way this time - and getting an epic wtf-moment when the display fixes, showing whole party - but me - alive and safe on the usual spot.

Lag can really be a nasty thing. My cleric is not of level yet to be a healer in instances, but I'm already scared of how would he be doing...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    DREAMWEAVER:
    Myrrmidonna, 8x Trickster b:sin
    Eskarinne, 5x Summoner b:cute

It is not the destination that makes the journey worthwhile...
  • Xarathox - Dreamweaver
    Xarathox - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,657 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Usually when I lag, I freeze in place. Doesn't happen often, but when my isp decides they want to make a change at some random point in the day...it'll **** everything up.

If I, however, make an honest mistake, I'll point it out that it was my bad. Like being distracted, or hitting a wrong button (my most common mistake since I play 2 toons xD).
    Some people risk to employ me

Some people live to destroy me

Either way they die
  • Waterfal - Sanctuary
    Waterfal - Sanctuary Posts: 2,723 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Some people do lag, others don't.
    Sometimes my screen freezes in per example fcc. I can't see incoming messages in chat anymore, can't see my teammembers moving and can't see myself cast skills.

I can however still use skills and write in chat... because I'm spam-healing my herc pressing buttons like maddness and saying in squad chat my screen froze.
    So far noone ever died, but it happens occaisionally.
    My fps is 13 when I'm in the middle of nowhere (which is high for me) and my ping has never been under the 200 far as I know.

Anyway, there's no way to really check if someone is just using it as an excuse or if it's real.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks Silvychar for the awesome sig :3

Characters:
    waterfal - lvl 90 demon ferrari veno
    Hazumi_chan - lvl 9x sage seeker
  • Obly - Dreamweaver
    Obly - Dreamweaver Posts: 209 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    I believe that about 90% of the time that's because Player A was distracted and is just using lag as an excuse.

In the other cases, when you lag really bad, it can have different effects.
    Either nothing happens but you appear to be moving around. Basically you're not seeing what's happening when it happens because the packets are getting lost on the way to you.
    (True lag)

Or, your frames jump like crazy and your FPS drops form the usual 25-50 down to 4 because your computer is busy doing something it feels is more important than PWI. (Defrags, anifir scans, and programs like Outlook and Norton softwares are notorious for this.)
    (What a lot of people call lag but is truly something with their computer.)

Not much you can do about the first, (unless it's caused by a firewall or a cheap/wireless connection.) plenty that you can do about the second, just most people aren't computer savvy enough to figure it out.

Actually thinking about it, I think more people think they can play the game on a wireless connection when truly, it is not advisable at all. No MMO should be played on wireless, the broadcast can't manage the data the way the game wants it.

^-- Add that 2 my post, or my post 2 hers, and i think you basically got it all coverd :Db:victory
    b:victory Once you discover life is meaningless, you will see my point of view!! b:victory

Skills determine a good player, not a creditcard.b:flower
  • Paramedic - Dreamweaver
    Paramedic - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,801 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    when cleric **** up it is always lag, silly
    BUILD EFFICIENCY CALCULATOR: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1129681

AGGRO MECHANICS: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=481682

GAME IS DEAD wiki-article: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=938282
  • FateMakerr - Heavens Tear
    FateMakerr - Heavens Tear Posts: 953 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    I've been on both ends on this stick.

While it is obvious that some people use the lag excuse as a crutch, it does happen sometimes.

While it doesn't happen that often, many times I do indeed lag myself while in FF or other squads. I'll just be standing at door, waiting for the barb to come back from pulling the hall, when all of a sudden, everyone is suddenly inside and trying not to die.

I think this may be because I play wirelessly on my macbook, or perhaps when my laptop gets a bit "overheaty".b:surrender

...but all in all, the noticable difference between seeing someone who is lagging and someone who simply does not how to play their toon is obvious.b:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Semi Retired Psychic of Radiance faction//Entering full retirement upon the release of ĠuildẂars2 or an otherwise drastic change in PWI management.
    "Exploiting a glitch is a violation of the ToS under User Conduct:
    (l) Using or exploiting any bugs, errors, or design flaws to obtain unauthorized access to the Service or to gain an unfair advantage over other players"-frankieraye ............guess he changed his mind.
  • Mania - Lost City
    Mania - Lost City Posts: 111 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    It does suck I have been in player B's situation and just raged. HOWEVER

I have been in a situation where my game was playing fine then I will suddenly be suffering with severe lag or get a lag spike. Fortunately as a veno it isn't always a problem but I can understand it happening. In my case usually the lag is because someone else in the house is downloading movies or songs for netflix or something. And don't warn me. Also some instances just randomly lag out.

The difference is usually when you lag due to the game it usually rectifies itself pretty fast and you don't usually have many problems. And if you do, you simply relog the game. If you're having consistant lag you would (in your right mind) offer to leave the instance if you were such an important player (Cleric/Barb). But usually you can tell if it's game lag or "this person sucks" lag.
  • Mania - Lost City
    Mania - Lost City Posts: 111 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    I've been on both ends on this stick.

or perhaps when my laptop gets a bit "overheaty".b:surrender

oh yes X_X Forgot the ol' laptop overheaty lags. Even worse when over-heaty laptops just turn themselves off just 'cus they can
  • Xarathox - Dreamweaver
    Xarathox - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,657 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    oh yes X_X Forgot the ol' laptop overheaty lags. Even worse when over-heaty laptops just turn themselves off just 'cus they can

Thus why you should always play on a desktop. They're actually designed to maintain sustained usage. Laptops are not.
    Some people risk to employ me

Some people live to destroy me

Either way they die
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Thus why you should always play on a desktop. They're actually designed to maintain sustained usage. Laptops are not.

...but I iz a poor college boy that has no desire to lug around a desktop everywhere nor find room in an already small dorm room to place a deskb:sad
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Semi Retired Psychic of Radiance faction//Entering full retirement upon the release of ĠuildẂars2 or an otherwise drastic change in PWI management.
    (l) Using or exploiting any bugs, errors, or design flaws to obtain unauthorized access to the Service or to gain an unfair advantage over other players"-frankieraye ............guess he changed his mind.
  • Vitenka - Dreamweaver
    Vitenka - Dreamweaver Posts: 4,125 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Ok - due to a shared network connection and being not in the US I do often have actual real network lag.

To see if it's graphics lag or network lag, you can hover your mouse over the 'logout' button - that will tell you your ping.

Or you can just turn down your graphics and see if it gets better :)

Anyway - when running with a constant high lag (and I'm talking a ping of 2500-7500 here) - I get two main things.

First - I click a button and I it takes whole seconds to happen. It's like having a ridiculously **** channelling time. Except that I can fire off another skill (whilst waiting for the first) and it will happen right afterwards.
    But I can't queue up more skills than that manually. to do better I need to use macro's. And I still can't react to a changing situation in this circumstance.

Worst is spiky lag - where it's sometimes normal and sometimes spikes to be like that. When this happens, sometimes I don't even see skill animations; I just have to trust that my skills are happenning (though posisbly delayed) and play on blind.

You also see other players and pets and mobs seemingly run past their targets, then rubberband back to where they ought to have gone.

This sort of stuff you can get used to, but it does kinda suck. And it does help if you warn your squad you're suffering it - you probably won't be able to react to a cleric getting aggro in time to save them, and may run blind into a patch of mobs that weren't there last time your PC looked.

On bosses, assuming you have decent macros set up, you should be doing almost as much damage as usual, though.
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Yup, a lot of what Vitenka rings true..

...what would I do without my trusty macros:<
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Tigriss_o - Raging Tide
    Tigriss_o - Raging Tide Posts: 625 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options

Actually It works really good. I used to use my wireless on my laptop and game ran perfectly. My laptop was always at 100% connection. Low ping. Only problem is PW burned out my Wifi in my laptop after about 2 weeks. Now I'm back to sitting in this uncomfy chairb:sad
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Vorhs - Lost City
    Vorhs - Lost City Posts: 521 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    I just permanently lag 800-1500ms whatever im doing, even if i reduce graphics to minimum and even if my internet and computer always work perfectly with every other game or program.

PWE never solved this problem, i guess its just that my pc hates pwi.
    If you happy wanna be, against the wind you won't have to pee.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Tojop - Dreamweaver
    Tojop - Dreamweaver Posts: 623 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    When I say I'm lagging, usually I'm watching tv. So while I may not be experiencing network latency, there is certainly a delay in the time I switch from tv to computer screen, see information on my computer screen, process it, and react. b:laugh
  • Katzyn - Sanctuary
    Katzyn - Sanctuary Posts: 1,270 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    I hate those lags I occasionally get, where everything moving great, then suddenly, I'm pressing my skill buttons, but nothing's happening, and I know that I'm lagging and someone might die...

That happened yesterday while I was healing someone for a boss on my cleric...it was scary. ._. The guy couldn't take more than 3 hits without constant heals...

So yeah, it definitely can be lag, or it can be someone just...not paying attention, or not knowing what they're doing, lol.
    Katzyn, level 101 Demon Veno
    Kylenea, level 99 Demon Cleric
    ForestSonata, level 6x Mystic
    Proud wifeh of Yudai <3
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~Courtesy of the amazing Forsakenx~
  • Regenbogen - Lost City
    Regenbogen - Lost City Posts: 1,559 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    even your screen doesn't freeze with a high ping your actions will have a delay...
    1second can lead to a squad wipe...
    lag makes people nervous...
    nervous people tend to do mistakes they normally wouldn't do...
    we are all just humans(IRL b:chuckle)...
    i am waiting for you my little flagcarriers b:kiss
  • Yulk_owns - Lost City
    Yulk_owns - Lost City Posts: 936 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    @ OP, I lag at times, I am sure you do to, I try not to show off in vids, it makes me lag >.> I can marcos in duels for my stun locks or w/e.

I think I did not upload all of them, I forgot... 55 barb tanking all bosses in high mode TT1-2... Lag
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXTVuOpKj30

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iB6S7eiDdm0
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHjod0qjkpM

Don't do this at home folks O;
    I, II and III spark is the most cheesiest skill in PWI and it should be removed or massively nerfed.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TigerLily - Lost City
    TigerLily - Lost City Posts: 1,209 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    I think most of us can be both player A and player B. Sometimes you get pretty freaking annoyed when its obvious that some lazy moron is just covering up his failures with lag excuses. Than you have lag from hell yourself and screen freezes for ages and when you finally can use skills again party is already wiped b:surrender You say "sorry sorry lag" and no one believes you lol.

If you never experienced really bad PWI lag its probably hard to understand. But in general it takes a couple of years to use one skills or move forward, since the screen kinda freezes constantly and you get so frustrated. The skill delay that comes with bad lag really causes you to make a lot mistakes since everything is done in slow motion.

Its often pretty obvious tho if someone is actually lagging. Like a Bm that doesn't stun in Frost/Rebirth when big pull comes and just stands there is mostly lagging if he sais so. Same with a barb that stops biting a boss and just freezes. People that actually lag usually tell party before as well, to avoid **** ups.

Players that repetitively uses wrong skills, agros bosses + mobs and runs in wrong direction tends to lie when they go "lag" :D
  • TheDan - Sanctuary
    TheDan - Sanctuary Posts: 3,495 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    My response is usually: "So when are you upgrading from your Taco Bell Internet?"

It drives me nuts when people that can't play their class blame it on lag... Unless they disconnect or there is server lag I never believe them. If I'm doing a ****ty job then tell me so I can do better next time lols... You won't ever get that lag bull from me.
    BM PvP Guide: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1320761

YouTube channels: youtube.com/TheDan912 and youtube.com/TheDanPWI
  • Ao - Raging Tide
    Ao - Raging Tide Posts: 260 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    But usually you can tell if it's game lag or "this person sucks" lag.

This. But I always assume the person in question might really be lagging, as I have experienced it too. And even if it's just an excuse I don't say anything since it's most likely clear for everyone else as well. b:chuckle The guy might be scared of others calling him noob so even lying to cover things up kinda proves that he does care and realizes his mistake, he just doesn't have the courage to admit it, which I also understand. b:victory
  • Gwendolynne - Heavens Tear
    Gwendolynne - Heavens Tear Posts: 816 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    I lag when my ISP is being a failure, a lot of the times Everyone on my screen is just standing around, and the next second my game catches up and everyone is off fighting something and people are dying. This happened on both of my characters on several occasions. However no one seems to notice when it happens on my Veno unless I am in nirvana and it happens when I am supposed to purge the second boss. On my cleric though its plenty noticeable and it really sucks.

I've had several people say that I am not lagging and I am just making it up because I am being a lazy cleric, but thats not true I just need a better ISP, lol. When I'm lazy I'll let you know it... ask my hubby he knows, I'm a very straight forward cleric... I don't even BB in FF anymore.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Character Roster:
    Gwendolynne : 101/SageVeno - Xyleena : 102/DemonCleric
    Delecroix : 101/DemonSin - Anatoxin : 9x/SagePsy
    Raevynne : 100/DemonBM - GotMeTwisted : 8x/SageSeeker
    Deicidea : 8x/Mystic - Diva : 95/SageBM/Retired
  • Karisu - Raging Tide
    Karisu - Raging Tide Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Lmfao, I'm always in a situation where Player B is doing all the mistakes and/or lagging ;P

And when I say I'm lagging, I mean it. And I'm honest when I make a mistake. I remember in FCC, I had so many lagspikes it was ridiculous. That I had to tell my squad that if I didn't move or heal in the next 5 minutes to kick me out the squad and get another cleric lol :/

Then my computer crashed, I log back on ten minutes later. They were nice enough to wait for me LOL b:chuckleb:cute Either that or they couldn't get another cleric >_>;
    I lag when my ISP is being a failure, a lot of the times Everyone on my screen is just standing around, and the next second my game catches up and everyone is off fighting something and people are dying. This happened on both of my characters on several occasions. However no one seems to notice when it happens on my Veno unless I am in nirvana and it happens when I am supposed to purge the second boss. On my cleric though its plenty noticeable and it really sucks.

I've had several people say that I am not lagging and I am just making it up because I am being a lazy cleric, but thats not true I just need a better ISP, lol. When I'm lazy I'll let you know it... ask my hubby he knows, I'm a very straight forward cleric... I don't even BB in FF anymore.

Yea, I've had that problem many times. I let people before hand if I'm lazy, than I BB XD
    I had one occasion though where I HAD to bb, and someone said I was being lazy. I'm like.. I'm just doing my job like every cleric does. BB on this boss! Boss had AOE in TT. Someone was obviously a noob. -.-